• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MagicAnatomist

Newbie created grocery list... suggestions for improvement?

Hey, all!

I made this attached grocery list for when I go back to my apartment (I am visiting home on my winter break). I don't normally use a solid list, but as this diet is new for me, I thought it might help to start off with a crutch.

Any suggestions from more experienced NFers?

Thanks!

Grocery List:

Staples/Spices/Snacks/-

Garlic (fresh and in jar)

Ginger (in jar)

Steamer vegetable bags (3)

Coffee

Chili oil

Spices (cinnamon, cumin, ghost pepper, cayenne)

Paleo jerky

Almonds

Coconut flakes (3-4 cups)

Meat-

Bacon

Chicken breasts

Ground beef

Ground turkey

Steak

Eggs

Canned tuna (in water)

Vegetables-

Butter lettuce

Mushrooms

Spinach

Onion

Yams

Zucchini

Cucumber

Avocados

Basil plant

Tomatoes

Fruit-

Apples

Oranges

Bananas

• Like 1

I have been experimenting while I am at home with some different recipes, and have found it to get easier and easier. I have based this list around foods I like raw or that are in recipes that I have made/would like to make. Any advice for a fellow struggler? xD

As someone who works a lot and cooks a lot, here's my two cents:

It looks yummy, but on a week by week basis I would simply. For example, I made pulled chicken this week. That's the only dinner meat I bought for the whole week. Then throughout the week I made a potato hash and quesadillas and some other things with it. This way I don't end up with random leftovers of 6 different things. It can also make meal planning much simpler. So while all these ingredients look good, I would keep each shopping trip a little simpler. The other thing is, if you are near the store, don't buy all your veggies at once. The greens that looked awesome on Sunday will be less enticing on Thursday. If it's convenient, it's nice to pick up some of your fresh veggies later during the week.

Good luck! There's a lot of great cooks posting recipes on this site.

• Like 1

As someone who works a lot and cooks a lot, here's my two cents:

It looks yummy, but on a week by week basis I would simply. For example, I made pulled chicken this week. That's the only dinner meat I bought for the whole week. Then throughout the week I made a potato hash and quesadillas and some other things with it. This way I don't end up with random leftovers of 6 different things. It can also make meal planning much simpler. So while all these ingredients look good, I would keep each shopping trip a little simpler. The other thing is, if you are near the store, don't buy all your veggies at once. The greens that looked awesome on Sunday will be less enticing on Thursday. If it's convenient, it's nice to pick up some of your fresh veggies later during the week.

Good luck! There's a lot of great cooks posting recipes on this site.

Thank you! This list is much bigger than it would normally be, but a lot of this meat is simply going into the freezer. I am visiting my parents in CA on my break from university and need to restock my whole kitchen back in IL, so the list is much more substantial. You are also definitely right about the veggies! This list is not necessarily an all-at-once list. More like a list for a week or two (I should have been clearer). But you are definitely right and I will go through my list and plan my first round of veggies around the meals that I want to make. 

Thanks again for the helpful thoughts!