KitBi12 Super Stability

KitBi12

Last challenge was all about balance. I attempted to get enough sleep, frequently see smiling faces, eat right, and not let my fitness gains slide. I needed to do something besides work and pass out (only to dream of completing summaries and in spec test results).

And I succeeded! Sort of. >.> I managed to balance work, sleep, being social, and housekeeping. The stress of the holidays and encroaching deadlines made the fitness and food aspects of my balancing act difficult. Not being in control of my food over the holidays set me back on my weight goal.

This challenge is focused on stability. I set myself up to have a reasonable schedule* and a clean home. Hopefully, I won’t have an excuse to not strengthen my core.

Building strength with core work (9 points STR) – I aim to do 2 types of exercises 4 days per week. (Edited because daily was not feasible at this time.)

Hip Flexor Stretches (3 pts DEX) - After core exercises, I need to stretch my hip flexors. This will help with my posture and put less stain on my lower back.

Life goal - Clean house! (3 pts WIS) - At least 15 minutes daily. I get overwhelmed trying to clean entire rooms, entire levels of the house, ALL the dish, do ALL the laundry. 15 minutes seems manageable and should keep everything nice and tidy.

*Nothing is going to happen the week of 19Jan2015. My anticipated work schedule is seven 12+ hour days in a row. Work and sleep, that is all. 

Kitsune Biologist, Druid

Level: 6

STR 10 | DEX 10 | STA 7.5 | CON 13 | WIS 16.5 | CHA 12.5

Ch. 1 Ch. 2 Ch. 3 | Ch. 4| Ch. 5| Ch. 6Ch. 7Ch. 8

RPG Fanatics

"Make a fray of your own." - E.O. Wilson, Advice to Young Scientists

Exercises to keep me out of the weather:

4035952_14579701_pm.jpg

Bridge/hip thrust (+ raising leg w/ opposite arm)

Quadruped hip extension

Bird dog

High step ups/knee highs

Frog legs

Lunges (normal, curtsy)

Mountain climbers

Squats

Bulgarian split squats

Russian Twist

Jackknife

Plank (front, side, dips, one legged side)

X-jumps

Bicycle crunches

Flutter Kicks

V-sits

Windshield wipers

Circles in the sky

Hip Flexor Stretch 

Hip Flexor Exercise

Kitsune Biologist, Druid

RPG Fanatics

Holy crap. 7 12-hour days sounds like death. o.o

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

We are approaching a deadline that - unfortunately - did not get pushed back when we had GIANT mechanical failure a while back. So I'm trying to stuff an entire qualification (4 of them actually) into one week. *.*

Kitsune Biologist, Druid

RPG Fanatics

@_____@ godspeed.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Yoga day! *hums happily* I have been away from class for FAR too long. 

I've met my cleaning goal but not my abs goal for week 1. *pokes at tummy* I've simply been weak willed (i.e., super lazy). 

Ideally, today, I'm going to do some more cleaning (laundry and kitchen) and make a giant pot of soup: chicken matzo ball to to combat the winter chill. I didn't have a single mazto ball this holiday season (missed all the family parties), and it's time to make my apartment feel like home.

• Like 1

Kitsune Biologist, Druid

RPG Fanatics

3 days in a row! 1 yoga, 1 house exercises, 1 gym. I'm almost pleased with myself. >.> This almost combats all the eating out I've been doing with friends. Tomorrow, I'm going to a restaurant called Risotto, an Italian Mediterranean fusion. Expecting tasty, tasty things.  

I've been doing my cleaning, and my boyfriend has started trading me time cleaning for time cooking. Which is perfectly fine by me. 

Stupidly, I forgot to add fat (cut butter) to my dumpling mix, and they are delicious neutron stars in my soup. So dense! >.<

• Like 1

Kitsune Biologist, Druid

RPG Fanatics

Way to go! If you run out of things to clean, you're welcome to come do my house. ;)

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

*ponders if working my core every other day is more reasonable given that everything hurts and my minimal lack of starting strength or if that is simply laziness*

Kitsune Biologist, Druid

RPG Fanatics

I updated my abs goal to every other day. My muscles and will are far too weak to keep up with my daily ambitions. 

Update from crazy-schedule week: 

I learned something last challenge! Instead of knowing that this week would be crazy at work and focusing solely on that, I've taken a day trip to meet the wonderful Fleaball and pushed back my work start time on Sunday to go to yoga. Crazy scheduling is so much more pleasant when it's balanced.  

3 tests down, 5 more to go. Things are progressing smoothly; I'm caught up on recording data; and I've cleaned this week. I've been managing my 15 minutes a day, but I feel like I crushed the cleaning today. Emptied the dish washer, reloaded the dishwasher, scrubbed the counters, wiped the counters, in the process of doing 2 loads of laundry, took out ALL of the garbage, and - most ambitious of all - replaced said garbage bags before anything needed to go into them. I even had a little downtime during Test 3 to do some organizational work in my laboratory rooms. 

Time for dinner and friends. Peace! 

• Like 1

Kitsune Biologist, Druid

RPG Fanatics

Yay balancing and yoga! And day trips. ;) 

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Non-stop week has finally stopped! Sort of... Maybe. >.> Finishing my validations led my team to think of some questions. Questions that need answering. To the lab! Investigation time. ^.^ (I love being in development.) 

My supervisor and I did have a sit down chat, and he's going to fight for more... realistic (>.>) deadlines. This was our first series of tests and a special circumstance, but it's a hard act to repeat. 

Like I anticipated at the beginning of the challenge, I haven't done much with my bi-daily core work this week; I've completely forgotten about hip flexor stretches, and I've been doing 5 minutes of cleaning daily. I somehow don't have work tomorrow, and I hope to play catch up. Yoga, training the puppies, cleaning, and hopefully some gaming. I've been trying to get through Mass Effect and somehow haven't gotten to play in a while. Must save the world! 

Tonight is comedy news, tea, and a novel. *hunkers down under a blanket*

I did learn something last challenge! For 2 week in a row, I've scheduled my work so that I can go to Saturday morning yoga. I've told people it needs to happen and that I won't be available at during the class. That's that. I know it doesn't seem so brave to put my foot down on a portion of Saturday morning, but... I'm very dedicated (i.e., workaholic). It really is a stretch for me to make a time off limits or to push for 'extra' time to complete tests.

But, oddly enough, my quality of life increases exponentially and other people seem not to care about the minor inconvenience to their agendas.

End of week 3!

The cleaning has become more of a habit, but the bi-daily core work has fallen by the wayside when I don't take a yoga class. And hip flexor stretches might as well have not been a goal. However, from the work I have done, I can now stand for legitimate periods of time with my spine and pelvis properly aligned. :D

My pelvis generally has some anterior tilt action, and it messes with my back. It puts extra stress on my spine and forces my back muscles to be entirely responsible for my posture. I picked the core and hip flexor exercises in hopes of correcting this situation. So, I still can't hold my hips properly all of the time (e.g., while walking quickly). But I can stand up straight while observing procedures or in an impromptu meeting without considerable effort. Which is a huge improvement! 

I thought I would have back issues for life, but now I'm wondering if I can fix most of them over time. Well, at least try to only curve in 1 dimension instead of 2. :tongue:    

Kitsune Biologist, Druid

RPG Fanatics

Great job on carving out that Saturday time for yourself! People will sometimes surprise you on what they're willing to give.  I work a lot too, so I can understand the temptation to just keep working but we both have to make sure to prioritize our own fitness and the rest will follow!

Train so your heroes become your peers.

End of Challenge Round up: 

Building strength with core work (9 points STR) – I aim to do 2 types of exercises 4 days per week. (Edited because daily was not feasible at this time.)

Hip Flexor Stretches (3 pts DEX) - After core exercises, I need to stretch my hip flexors. This will help with my posture and put less stain on my lower back.

Life goal - Clean house! (3 pts WIS) - At least 15 minutes daily. I get overwhelmed trying to clean entire rooms, entire levels of the house, ALL the dish, do ALL the laundry. 15 minutes seems manageable and should keep everything nice and tidy.

What I've learned is that there always seems to be an excuse not to strengthen your core. Surprise! 

1) Instead of 4 days a week, I probably exercised twice a week? three on a good week, but I'm going to say two points wise (+3 STR). My abs exist now, which is pretty cool. :D If I think about it, I can hold myself up straight and there are days when my back doesn't hurt. Again, pretty cool. Essentially, good start - not finished.

2) When doing home workouts, I basically forgot about this. Opps... This probably happened once or twice a week (Why, pigeon pose? Why?). +1 DEX. Again, good start - not finished. I'm very glad I know about this stretch. It will be really, really good for me - once I remember to do it. :tongue: 

3) 15 minutes daily actually happened! Basically. After missing a day, I would make it up the next day. It evened out. *shrugs* +3 WIS. 

ThatSheep - Yoga is the process of finding the flavor crystal and working them in. :tongue: Slow and painful but completely worth it. ^.^ 

Next challenge I'll be joining the Druids! Namaste, new friends. :D

I'll probably have similar goals but be focusing on keeping a schedule. Having leeway in my workouts and eating certainly helped with balance but did nothing for my progress. 

I didn't do beautifully in this challenge, but between Chapter 4 and 5, I believe I've grown a level. My physical gains are small, but the personal knowledge I've gained is huge. 

Old - STR 7 | DEX 9 | STA 3.5 | CON 9 | WIS 9.5 | CHA 12.5

New - STR 10 | DEX 10 | STA 3.5 | CON 9 | WIS 12.5 | CHA 12.5

Kitsune Biologist, Druid

RPG Fanatics