Anyone into bulletproof (butter) coffee?

Hey, guys!

I have seen a lot of hype around coffee blended with coconut oil and grass-fed butter and am considering trying it. Has anyone tried it who can attest to its taste and benefits? Have any paleo people successfully made it with ghee?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Level 0, Human Druid

[sTR: 0 | DEX: 0 | STA: 0 | CON: 0 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 0 ]

"'Impossible' is not a scientific term." - Vanna Bonta

Whenever I make coffee at home, I do it up this way. 

I'm not sure if it actually has the added benefits you hear in the hype, but I do like it. To me, I feel a little more alert when I drink it with Kerrygold Butter and Organic Coconut Oil than compared to plain coffee, but I think results will vary for everyone.

Personally, I think it tastes great! It's got a slightly buttery and creamy taste to it from the coconut oil and butter. You can add a dash of coconut milk to it, if you like too. 

I definitely think it's worth a try. 

• Like 1

- — Thister — -

Level 3, Cylon (Humanoid IntelliScout/Ranger)

STR 6 | DEX  7 | STA 7 | CON 5 | WIS 7.5 | CHA 4

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 (Checking in most days, weekly updates)

"If people did not sometimes do silly things, nothing intelligent would ever get done." â€• Ludwig Wittgenstein

I haven't done officially done bulletproof, as I don't buy expensive butter (tried it once with cheap butter, poured the cup out after one sip! I do, however, enjoy it with coconut oil! For me, it's a long-term shelf stable ingredient that will smooth out the bitter edges of my coffee and make it creamy and slightly unctuous, so it's more for that than any perceived energy gains. While I'm learning to drink coffee black, I do prefer to take that bitter edge off with either coconut oil or dairy.

• Like 1

Current Challenge #39 - 15.02.23  |  Challenges: #38, #29  |  Fitocracy: redtomato501

I've done this, not with the expensive bulletproof coffee though.

I got some decent butter, strangely i actually liked salted better and just whisked it into coffee using a handheld milk frother. It actually tastes a little bit creamy, like a latte. I didn't use any coconut oil.

Staves off hunger for a while, it was a good "snack" while on a ketogenic diet.

• Like 1

The taste-flavor effect of salt is that it counteracts bitter taste and it augments sweet taste. Pair that with the oils physically blocking bitter particles from the tongue and you have a very tasty coffee.

My issue with bulletproof coffee is that without an emulsifying agent, the frothy creaminess eventually collects on the surface like in chicken soup. Also, clean up is a bitch in plastic blender containers. And forget trying to blend super hot coffee in a sealed blender like the magic bullet. More like the magic napalm bomb.

Dietarily, in a ketogenic diet, the morning bulletproof coffee (during what would otherwise be a strict fast) serves as a method to keep activity levels up and mobilizes more fat in ketones than the fat consumption from the coffee.

• Like 5

My issue with bulletproof coffee is that without an emulsifying agent, the frothy creaminess eventually collects on the surface like in chicken soup. Also, clean up is a bitch in plastic blender containers. And forget trying to blend super hot coffee in a sealed blender like the magic bullet. More like the magic napalm bomb.

Yes, you do have to drink it fairly quickly. I do that anyway so i never had an issue. You don't have to down it though

I did try it -- I was doing 2-3 workouts a day for awhile and this was one of my ways to keep my calories up when going so far into deficit. It was okay -- I felt like it did stave off hunger... but my brain can't get around coffee that is 400+ calories and isn't a mocha XD

• Like 2

Level 24 Frost Archer ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Current Challenge: thekatisalie is back :: no seriously this time

MyFitnessPal || Strava || SmashRun || Twitch

I Instagram. I tweet. I cosplay

I am, kind of. I don't buy the coffee (just normal coffee) and I use cold pressed oils like VCO (as cooking with them could/may damage their antioxidants) instead of butter. I just stir/ not using blender as well, I'm barely a vertebrate in the mornings, nobody should ever want me to deal with blender cleanup.

Better Than Bulletproof Coffee

• Like 1

kohl were-panda

kohl's safe house

challenges: I 

Had a go just with the butter for a while when I was adding more calories into my diet. It was very tasty but I gave up after a few weeks becuse it took too long and I'm lazy. Also I agree with previous posts that if you don't drink it straight away you get a bit of a 'skin' on top.

• Like 1

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you hit, call it the target."

My wife loves it.   I have been strictly a black coffee drinker for decades, so I haven't tried it yet.

Did I offer advice in my post?  Please keep the following in mind:

• I am not a doctor nor any other kind of medical professional.
  • I am not a lawyer.
  • I am not a mental health provider
  • I am not a nutritionist
  • Your mileage may vary
  • I don't do anything in moderation
  • I have lots of injuries & if you train like me, you probably will too.

I haven't tried bulletproof coffee yet, but I sometimes do something that feels a little similar, where I blend a whole raw egg or two into my coffee in the morning. It tastes creamy/custardy and not eggy, almost like a latte. It's also great with a pinch or two of cinnamon! It (obviously) has more protein in it than bulletproof coffee so it doesn't have quite the same benefit for someone in ketosis and/or doing intermittent fasting, but I'm not quite so comfortable drinking quite so many calories of pure fat in the morning. I find that egg coffee really keeps me alert in the morning, and I don't get hungry for lunch until mid-afternoon.

• Like 2

Caprette

Level 0 Dryad

{STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0}

Current Challenge

I haven't tried bulletproof coffee yet, but I sometimes do something that feels a little similar, where I blend a whole raw egg or two into my coffee in the morning. It tastes creamy/custardy and not eggy, almost like a latte. It's also great with a pinch or two of cinnamon! It (obviously) has more protein in it than bulletproof coffee so it doesn't have quite the same benefit for someone in ketosis and/or doing intermittent fasting, but I'm not quite so comfortable drinking quite so many calories of pure fat in the morning. I find that egg coffee really keeps me alert in the morning, and I don't get hungry for lunch until mid-afternoon.

This sounds disgusting. I must try it :)

Does it become lumpy after a few mins as the egg cooks though?

I blend a whole raw egg or two into my coffee in the morning.

what the hell is wrong with you !!!  :nevreness:;)  :playful:

that said I have a pot of coffee on the go down stairs and eggs in the fridge ...... I am going to try this now ...... however if it pisses me off and does something to my genetic makeup, don't be surprised if you end up with me turning in to some super villain and coming after you !!

• Like 1

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

well I'll be !!!! :redface:

if there is one thing I love in this world its to be corrected by something surprising .. something you naturally assume you are right at believing and someone comes along and completely re-arranges the way you view it.

egg in coffee ...... why you even tried that I don't know but by jebus it works.

its a cross between a latte and using heavy cream but with 6g of protein in it ... I like it ... I used a refrigerated egg though, which cooled the coffee, so I microwaved it which set some of the egg, so I needed to re-blend again.

in future, room temp eggs !

but thank you .... this actually works ... now I need to balance if a 78kCal coffee is worth 6g of protein 

• Like 3

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

This sounds disgusting. I must try it :)

Does it become lumpy after a few mins as the egg cooks though?

I don't find that it gets lumpy. I put the egg in the bottom of a mug or mason jar, then blend with an immersion blender. I then sloooowwwwly pour in coffee, blending the whole time. (You need a tall jar because this can splash.) It thickens, but doesn't set or get lumpy. This is very similar to the way you would make custard, except instead of using hot cream you are using hot coffee, and you don't cook it further.

If you want to be fancy, you can call it zabaglione al caffe  :). (Though this uses whole eggs and not just yolks, no sugar, and a higher proportion of coffee to egg than the traditional version.)

• Like 2

Caprette

Level 0 Dryad

{STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0}

Current Challenge