jstanlick: Back at it in 2015

jstanlick

So, the last challenge was the first one I hadn't taken part in over 2 years. I focused on lifting 3 times a week and running once a week while trying to heal up. Things went pretty well until I got sick right after Christmas. But, I mostly better now in time to try to deal with -30 wind chills this week.

As an old guy with various family members and friends that battled cancer in 2014 -- some lost that battle, some have won for now, and others are still fighting on -- 2015 has a new sense of urgency to me. I've used this as motivation to get my new job that I enjoy rather than whining about one I didn't. I've used it to motivate myself to get healthier and lost 10 pounds in 2014. But, that's not enough. I need/want more than that. But, then I was watching (okay re-watching) the Spartan race from Washougal on Tuesday and a guy had this on his T-shirt:

banner.jpg

Makes sense. Right now, its way too easy for him. After 2015, the Grim Reaper is going to be out of breath and need to take a break when he finally catches up to me.

So, its time to set goals for this challenge and the year. Last year's Year Toward Happiness goals worked fairly well in achieving their goal and I think continuing down that path is good for me. Same goes for my training during my challenge off. But, I need to tweak them a little. So, here goes.

Yearly Goals Toward Continued Happiness

1) Read for 10 minutes each day from my Bible. Last year's goals included reading 10 minutes as well as a weekly spititual reflection. I'm going to try to combine those and I think it will keep both of them forefont in my mind.

2) At least 1 date night/afternoon/etc. with my wife per month. This goal is a carryover from last year. The goal proved harder than I thought it would be as I only managed 11 of the 12 months and I had to work hard to get that. 3 kids, work, volunteer commitments, etc. make it difficult to get our calendars synced up enough to pull off time with just each other and no other distractions. But, we're both happier when we do spend the time together, so this is worth continuing.

3) Running once a week, every week. Same as last year. Last year I managed 43 of 52 weeks. I had done really well until December where I managed 2 runs all month (both in the same week). We now have a 8 week old puppy which is making it a wee bit difficult to get a good night's sleep. But a single run, once a week. Should be doable. I have 1 in so far in 2015, so I'm on schedule so far :D

4) I will not drink my daily calories. So, no juice, soda, coffee with sugary additives, etc. Every day is a win or a loss. We'll see what the end of the year has to say about my ability to say no to myself.

In conjunction with that, here are my first 2015 challenge goals

1) Walk or bodyweight circuit train daily. Puppy can't run with me until it's almost 1 year old. That's not gonna happen until November. But, she can run walk with me. It'll be good for me and her to do it regularly. However, we're in the middle of a ridiculous cold snap (the current wind chill is -23 at 11:35 AM). She has zero bodyfat and gets cold in minutes. So, when the weather is like today, I've got this simple 10 minute circuit to do:

The 2015 10-Minute Good Habit Streak Kickstart Workout

1A) Prisoner Squat or Jumping Jacks
1B) Spiderman Pushup or Regular Pushup
1C) Burpee or Total Body Extension
1D) Reverse Split Squat (20 seconds per leg)
1E) X-Body Mountain Climber (alternating sides)
- Do each exercise for 20 seconds and then rest 10 seconds.
- Rest 30 seconds at the end of the circuit before repeating 2 more times.

2) Back to StrongLifts 3x/week. Fell off the wagon during the holidays and the sickness. Time to get back at it. It was going well.

3) Figure out this FitBit. Rather than the 100 lbs of cast iron I put on my Christmas list, I was given a FitBit by someone. So, it is my goal to figure out what I want to track with it, and what I want to integrate to RunKeeper, MyFitnessPal, etc. This is going to be a bit of trial and error I think til I get things the way I like/want them. But, it should help me with my running and walking goals.

4) No time like the present to start the whole no soda/juice thing. Again, daily pass/fail.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Love outrunning the reaper - love the health emphasis - Bible stuff - protecting time with the spouse (TOUGH to do) - and all the new goals.

I look forward to watching your progress.

You mentioned watching spartan race Washougal - I googled and can't find a video. Is that on Youtube? I will keep looking. 

Let's kill this challenge.

UPDATE: searched on Youtube - think I found a bunch of stuff on Spartan footage

Rebel - Hunter - Trader - Renewing the body and mind to be as capable as possible - lean & strength

There's lots of Spartan stuff on YouTube. I have the races programmed on my DVR. They're broadcast on NBC Sports channel. They will replay them periodically.

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

No liquid calories... love it! Good luck!!

Thanks! I'll take all the good luck I van get!

Update for today: no liquid calories. I spent most of the day at my son's chess tournament. The concession stand had all kinds of crap to eat and I was HUNGRY! But I bought an apple and a bottle of water and stayed hungry instead of the donuts, pizza, cookies, chips, soda and hot dogs they had available. Yay me!

Also got some walking in. Still too cold and icy to do running. Tomorrow is supposes to hot double digits temps and negative single digit wind chills. So, maybe I van get in a run before the Packer game starts.

Decided to start my Bible reading with the New Testament. I've tried this before with the Old Testament and I fizzle out somewhere around Numbers. So, I'm into Matthew and going from there.

Found you! I've got major puppy envy. I'm going to be picking your brain about this.

Also, props on the no liquid calories goal. A super SMART goal if ever there was one.

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Found you! I've got major puppy envy. I'm going to be picking your brain about this.

Also, props on the no liquid calories goal. A super SMART goal if ever there was one.

Pick away. She's a smart puppy. Just turned 8 weeks and we went the last 2 days without any accidents in the house. Mind you, when she starts to whimper at the door you have about 60 seconds to open it. Her tiny bladder can't last too long.

Glad to see you back, and I love your approach of mixing longer term goals in with challenge goals.Makes a ton of sense.

I'm not quite sure it's really a no liquid calories goal. I think beer is still allowed...which seems like a good idea to me. I'm not judging, just observing ;-)

I figured it made the most sense to figure out my long term goals and come up with shorter term ones that helped me get there. Or at least were somewhat related.

Correct. This is a no useless sugary drink liquid calories. So, no soda, juice, sugar in the coffee, sugar syrups in the coffee, hot chocolate, etc. Protein shakes, soup, etc. are allowed. As a homebrewer, beer will always be allowed :D

Although, as a homebrewer, I'm a bit of a beer snob and have MAYBE 1 or 2 really good beers over the course of a week. If it's a cheap mass produced beer, I just drink water. If I'm taking in those extra calories, I'm going to enjoy them.

I love the date goal, as usual. Looking forward to hear how you strategize these :)

I'm looking forward to figuring that out too! :P

Why is this such a hard thing to do? I can't just blame it on work and kids. As much as it feels that way, that kind of abdication of responsibility rubs me the wrong way. I need to man up and make it a priority. Otherwise, how can I say it matters to me? Now, to turn my words into actions -- always the tricky part.

• Like 1

Week 1 update:

1) Walk or circuit train. I missed one day of this. And the circuit training is difficult with the puppy. She bites at my toes and fingers while I'm doing squats and pushups and barks at me while I do burpees. Hopefully it gets warmer soon and I can do more than 1 walk in a week.

2) Strong Lifts took a while to get started during the week and only got 1 session in.

3) FitBit. Got it charged and the dashboard setup and am wearing it. I need to figure out what else to sync it to and how it helps me get better. I do like the silent alarm for waking up in the morning. Well, my wife likes it which is also a way to make my life better :D

4) No (useless) liquid calories. Missed 2 days. Once because I was lazy and another time because I'm cheap. Huh? Well, the development team was moved into new-ish, temporary office space because we ran out of space for everyone at the headquarters. They're building a new headquarters down the road, but that won't be ready until sometime in 2016. Until then we get temporary space. Last week was the first week in the space. For the first couple of days, we had no drinking water, just a soda machine. I was too lazy to go elsewhere a track down some water and bring it to the office and grabbed a soda. The next day they announced the filled the machine with bottled water until the plumber got out to fix the drinking water. So, I bought a bottle of water and it gave my a Diet Dr. Pepper. Not the same. But, I couldn't get my money back and I'm too cheap to let something go to waste. The next day I brought my own water and the plumber showed up to fix our drinking water. So, there's my long winded excuse.

On the plus side, despite losing my office (losing my own whiteboard is biggest downside to this) to move to the temporary space, I did manage to get a standing desk. I can put it up to stand or lower it to sit. So far, I don't mind standing, but I might need better dress shoes to stand all day.

I like the standing desk. Although, you really found out how much your feet aren't used to standing in dress shoes when you stand for a big portion of the day. I wonder if people would notice if I wore my Vibrams :D

Finally, the weather has warmed up enough to take the puppy on some walks. The fresh air is good for her (me too) and tires her out a lot more than playing with toys in the house does. Although, it's still cold enough that the low bodyfat body of hers can only last about 15 minutes before she starts shaking. But, she's getting bigger, faster and stronger. It won't be long before I won't be able to outrun her anymore.

Getting closer on the FitBit. Finally figured out the sleep tracking. I thought I had it a couple of days ago and I realized it hadn't switched to sleep tracking mode when I went to bed, but rather when I woke up. So, it tracked 9 hours of what it thought was extremely restless sleep until I noticed what mode it was in. But, the tracking is simple and I don't have to think about it. Which is nice. Now to get it integrated with RunKeeper and MyFitnessPal. Then I can start looking at trends and where I need to make changes.

Missed another day on the no soda/juice/etc train. I'm sitting at 7/10 days so far for the challenge. It has been eye-opening how many places I go that don't have other drink choices. Oh well, I'm drinking a lot more water than I have been in the recent past and that's the reason for the goal in the first place -- proper hydration without useless calories.

While  the walking/circuit training is going well, StrongLifts is not. I'm going to need to re-examine my schedule. I don't seem able to fit it in with the current schedule. So far, only 2 sessions this challenge. Hard to get stronger without actually lifting heavy things. The puppy has thrown me out of my routine and I'm struggling with how to put it back together without ignoring the wife, kids and dog. It can be done, but I'm just going to have to make some serious changes to make it happen.

While  the walking/circuit training is going well, StrongLifts is not. I'm going to need to re-examine my schedule. I don't seem able to fit it in with the current schedule. So far, only 2 sessions this challenge. Hard to get stronger without actually lifting heavy things. The puppy has thrown me out of my routine and I'm struggling with how to put it back together without ignoring the wife, kids and dog. It can be done, but I'm just going to have to make some serious changes to make it happen.

It happens. I'm glad you're dusting yourself off, re-evaluating, and working it out. Sometimes you just gotta walk the dog, play with the kiddos and be done.

• Like 1

Battle Log

"Either you take care of business and give yourself the best chance of survival (while accepting the inherent fuckedupitude and randomness of life), or you relinquish all hope entirely." -- Krista Scott-Dixon

Re-arranging is a work in progress. Last week I managed 2 lifting sessions, a 3.25 mile run and didn't miss a day of walks. Its moving in the right direction but its still pretty fluid. My daughter has volleyball practice, her first volleyball tournament this season and her musical performances this week. My son has chess club and Cub Scouts this week. And my company has it's winter party Friday night. Oh, and one of the cars fried the electrical to one of its headlights. Finding it difficult to keep the schedule in any kind of shape. Oh well.

According to the FitBit, I'm rocking the weekends and not accomplishing much during the week. Not surprising. I sit at a desk all day at work. I still need to get it integrated with RunKeeper.

Operation No Soda/Juice/etc. has been going well. None all last week or so far this week. I'm drinking a ton of water these days. Simply because it's the only choice I have at work. Who knew less choice/freedom could be a good thing?

Awesome job with the liquid calorie goal!! And double points for more water. You're rocking it!

Thanks! The water is just a by-product of not having a lot of other options. But, it's a good by-product :D

Are you still fitting in some of the bodyweight workouts? I find that when I'm really busy, those are the easiest things to fit in.

Great job on the walking! Not easy in the frozen north!

Thanks! I've been getting the walks in since the puppy needs the exercise -- yeah, she's the only one that needs it :P. It's either that or wrestle with the puppy and she has sharp little needle teeth, or get no sleep cuz she's awake. Not good options.

But, you make an excellent point. Even if I'm getting the walks in, the bodyweight circuits might be an easier way to fit in some strength training than setting up the bar and squatting and deadlifting it out from a time demand standpoint.

Alright, FitBit update!

I think I've found a good way to sync my RunKeeper and FitBit accounts: https://www.fitnesssyncer.com

They have free and Pro accounts. I signed up for a free one for now, but if i can get it all dialed in nice I may go to the Pro version. Its got a nice dashboard that pulls in the data from multiple sources and graphs it out for you. It has it's own notebook for entering other information, but I'm too lazy for that :D

I found out the FitBit can sync to RunKeeper, but not the other way around. That didn't really give me what I wanted. The downside is that Fitness Syncer doesn't yet seem to have an integration with MyFitnessPal or LoseIt. So, I need to find another nutrition program that it can integrate with. I'm not married to the other two, their just the ones I've used in the past.

This was complicated for you, and I think are a computer programmer or software developer or something. Our gadgets are pretty demanding these days! Good job figuring it out.

I think it would be less complicated if I weren't a developer. I get picky with my functionality and usability. Maybe because I know what is possible. I've made a career out of syncing and integrating data between heterogeneous systems. Maybe I just need to start building my own stuff instead of building stuff for my employer. But, that's another realm of commitment that I don't think I have time for. [emoji4]
  • Like 1

Was Fitbit your device of choice? Did you do a lot of comparisons?

I did zero comparisons. My mom gave me the FitBit as a Christmas present. I jokingly asked her what she was trying to say with that gift, but she just said, "You're into all that fitness stuff and I saw this on the Today Show and thought you might like it." Into all that fitness stuff? More like flailing back and forth at all the fitness stuff, but at least she noticed I'm trying.

• Like 1