• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Liberator

Liberator Living in the Now! Challenge #9

Liberator Living in the Now! Challenge #9

I struggled with writing this challenge and it is still not flushed out. I am not sure what I want this to be or what direction I want to go.  I miss having a place to write my gratitude statements. The gratitude statements are my grounding activity and my mental adjustment and life perspective.

This is a mental & spirit fitness challenge inspired by the book The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle.
For me things need to start from the inside and the outside will reflect the interior; actions follow thoughts. The body follows the mind, the mind follows the spirit! Strengthen the spirit and the mind and body will be strengthen! 

Things to Stop Doing:

Stop Worrying, it is a waste of time!
Stop sarcasm! It is not nice! I started a sarcasm jar last challenge at work and at home. Now family and students let me now anytime I am being sarcastic. I am a work in progress with this!
Do not give advice, do not share your opinion, do not bother with gossip. Mind your own business! I have enough to do with my own life! (I just realized I do this here on NF as well, I want to encourage others but be sure to not cross the line to giving unsolicited advice.)
Drop judgment. I use judgment to feel superior to others. Not nice!
No complaints! Another waste of time! I want to stop listening and validating others complains as well, in a kind way. 
Stop comparisons 

Things to do more often:
Smile
Be kind especially to myself! 
Think good thoughts of others
See the potential in others
Allow yourself to feel the emotion of the moment: accept it, feel it
Be aware of body and breath, yoga helps with this. 
Do things as you think of them
Clear away clutter; clear away the past! Avoid piling things up for a later date! 
Clearing my mental clutter, thoughts that don't serve me, like thinking I am unorganized or messy or lazy... That reinforces the behavior and internalizes it as though it were a fixed state of being.

Creativity 
Creating art I tap into the moment and when things are going well I have a greater awareness of the now and actively responding to the moment. 
I have taught art for nearly 20 years and value the inner development of students more than skill development. Learning to get out of the way and tap into the creative spirit, the flow state is the most rewarding part of art. 

Writing this points me to three things to focus on

Yoga 
Meditation
Art/creativity

My motivation: living a connected, positive, creative life

• Like 1

Gratitude Statements from earlier in the week:

I am grateful for the ability to take a rough late start to the day and totally turn it around and have a great day anyway!
I am grateful for friends that make me feel good about myself.
I am grateful for the understanding and forgiveness of friends. 
I am grateful for my acceptance for who I am and acceptance of the moment and all the people around me.
I am grateful for the beautiful feeling of aliveness that vibrates through my body. 
I am grateful for the lessons life gives me each day.

Gratitude Statements

I am grateful to have a repair person come to fix the dishwasher.

I am grateful for the check from a workshop I did in November to arrive (I wasn't sure if I was paid and didn't want to wrongly ask for the money)

I am grateful for J's dental checkup, the dentist was extremely patient and the staining on his teeth is not permanent, thankfully!

I am grateful for a teatime with my mother, it is so nice to have a hour or so to sit, chat and enjoy each others company.

I am grateful for madeline cookies, so delicious, especially mom's homemade madelines!

I am grateful for pancake time! It is one of those meals that seem to express love and happiness to my family. Mom+pancakes=Love

Template for this challenge:

This is a work in progress :)

Gratitude: At least 3 gratitude statements per day

Reflection on the day: This is about my overall state of mind, was I able to be positive and focused regardless of the events of the day?  

Power of Now: is about the things that keep me from living in the moment. I want to be aware when I start to have conversation in my head, ruminating over things and allowing them to take over the moment.  

Meditation:  this is about cultivating the practice of being in my body and feeling my aliveness. 

Yoga: breath and movement 15 minutes per day

Art/Creativity: creating and preparing for a live drawing event at a local gallery that I have been invited to be one of the featured artist. 

Gratitude:

Reflection:

Power of Now:

Meditation: 

Yoga:

Art/Creativity:

Gratitude: :)

Reflection on the day/week: This week I got up late and so did O and he was grumpy and the mornings did not go smooth. However I just took it as it was and didn't let it ruin the whole day. O has difficulty moving on and I need to model the behavior for him. I want to show him love and patience even in stressful situations. 

Power of Now: :)

Meditation: :)

Yoga: :(

Art/Creativity: :(

Gratitude:

I am grateful for a night out at a nice restaurant for a party with people who enjoy my company.

I am grateful to be able to wear sequins to an event and be completely appropriate.

I am grateful for my knowledge of mixed drinks that I can order a drink with confidence. That might sound silly to say but I used to not know anything and never knew what to order. I love knowing how to order a mixed drink. I had a lovely muddled old fashion last night.  

I am grateful for wonderful babysitters. I have a team of babysitters I can count on, who are awesome people that I am happy to be able to paid them and help them as well.

I am grateful for a healthy body and good mind. As my parents age I appreciate my own health and the importance of self-care of mind and body for my future. One parent is dealing with body issues and the other mind issues, it is life lesson to be taken to heart.

I am grateful for peace of mind and love in my heart. 

Reflection

I am feeling a bit lost. This challenge is maybe my wandering through the wilderness challenge. I, as of yet, have no focus, no clear goals, no set resolutions. I am just floating here to see where the current will take me. Perhaps I just need to clear and de-clutter, lighten my load and free myself from unnecessary stuff so I can ready for the next journey.

Your goals sound very good, and even inspiring.  Maybe you just need to add a bit more structure to them so it is easier to see and track your progress against your goals and a weekly basis?  (And yes... I am aware this might be one of those unsolicited advice things... if so just... ignore me.  I am new and more structure to goals is helping me). 

Best of luck in find your own path through the currents you currently ride.

Your goals sound very good, and even inspiring.  Maybe you just need to add a bit more structure to them so it is easier to see and track your progress against your goals and a weekly basis?  (And yes... I am aware this might be one of those unsolicited advice things... if so just... ignore me.  I am new and more structure to goals is helping me). 

Best of luck in find your own path through the currents you currently ride.

Thank you for the comment. I think there is a difference in unsolicited advice and helpful thoughtful discussion. :) Yes, goal setting is an issue... 

Things have a way of presenting themselves so I won't be "goalless" for long. 

I just had a bad skin flair up after eating a dessert with nuts, so I need to stick with nut-free diet. Every once in awhile I'll think I will be okay if I eat nuts and then I get a reaction and I go back to eating nut-free to improve my skin.

I am also having other women's health issues which may lead to some necessary diet changes. :(

I am going to throw some stuff away now! And a few minutes of yoga...

Gratitude

I am grateful for sick days and being able to call in a sub for the day.

I am grateful for loving hugs from husband and kids.

I am grateful for a good babysitter willing to help where needed.

I am grateful for my body's ability to heal.

Reflection

Too dizzy to do yoga yesterday and I am feeling weak so I took the day to see a doctor. I am having female issues for the past month and I can't ignore things any longer. I think I just been handed some goals for the new year. I will see what the doctor says. I don't want to be put on any drugs! Hopefully, I can make diet and exercise changes to control health and not need any meds long-term.  

Gratitude

I am grateful for my journey.

I am grateful for my joy.

I am grateful for my emotions.

I am grateful for the mystery of life.

I am grateful for the wisdom of others.

I am grateful for the gifts that others have shared with me.

I am grateful for a day filled with positive thoughts and creative energy.

I am grateful for the experience of today.

Gratitude

I am grateful for a new day.

I am grateful for waking up early with energy. 

I am grateful for sleep, good sleep.

I am grateful for ideas and blessings that flow to me.

I am grateful for good nutritious food that I enjoy eating.

I am grateful for the ease of life.

Reflection:

Positive attitude is going very well. I am having more energy, the day is more fun, friends and students are happier, life is good. Learning to be in the apply zone and from there I am following the bliss. :) Enjoying my BP coffee, my special water, my ginger shots, things feel good! Next step get back to enjoying working out. I really like lifting but going out to the health club is giving me an excuse not to work out. I need to get a bag ready so I can work out at school or go to the health club. 

Creativity: I have made a push in the past to do more art so I could get in a competitive art program in Chicago. I no longer have that goal, once again I am goalless with this too! LOL! My friends are starting to get their art in shows and step up their game. I am feeling lame and left out and a bit jealous  :chargrined: although I am also super proud of their progress and I know I helped to inspire them and this is how good energy works, you keep inspiring each other to greater and greater achievements. I just need to keep going and get some work done. It is so much fun to help them and give them feedback. My specially is coming up with titles.

I am getting over my fears and having fun. Learning to care less about what people think of me and embracing the idea it is ok to make mistakes.

Life is good.  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:  :star:

Gratitude

I am grateful for waking up early again today. My body is naturally waking up and when I listen to it, get up and don't lay in bed refusing to get up I have a great start to my day.

I am grateful for the quiet morning time.

I am grateful for a good work day.

I am grateful for the joy in the start of my day.

I am grateful for O's happiness when he gets up on time and not stressed out about getting to school on time.

I am grateful for how good my day feels when I have some "me" time first thing in the morning.

I am grateful for a positive attitude, all good things seem to radiate from that point.

I am grateful for the beautiful sunset last night.

I am grateful for the success of my friend and his positive outlook and enthusiasm for creating it is infectious. :)

I am grateful for my friendships with interesting positive and motivating people who introduce new experiences and challenges into my life. 

Hey, thanks for the mindfulness advice. ;) I'm not the one trying to avoid it, so it's appreciated. Lol

So when are you going to ditch the gym altogether and go with the playground? I love it, even in the middle of nowhere.

Hey, thanks for the mindfulness advice. ;) I'm not the one trying to avoid it, so it's appreciated. Lol

So when are you going to ditch the gym altogether and go with the playground? I love it, even in the middle of nowhere.

Hahaha! Glad you appreciate it! I suppose I would like to be be more mindful about handing out advice, it becomes an automatic response in conversation. 

Playground :) I do join my kids on the swings at the park in the summer! So fun! I miss connecting with the outdoors. It is bitter cold right now and I am staying inside a bit too much. I would love to run and play at the beach and soak up some sun!  

• Like 2

I suppose I would like to be be more mindful about handing out advice, it becomes an automatic response in conversation. 

Me too... my automatic reaction is "I can fix that" :tongue:

And, what other people think of you is really none of your business! ;)

• Like 1

Me too... my automatic reaction is "I can fix that" :tongue:

And, what other people think of you is really none of your business! ;)

Hi, Barfly! Hope all is well! It is nice to hear from you! :)

So difficult to change that habit of dishing out advice, it is in me deep! I can remember being a little kid, like 5 yo, giving the neighbor advice about raising their 3 yo child!

I have had a lot of years of practice! lol!

I have been removing sarcasm from my conversations since November, now everyone (students, family, friends) lets me know when I am being sarcastic. I am removing the word "punk" from my vocabulary, I say it multiple times in the day, usually to my sons. In its origins it meant "worthless human being" I think I don't want to call my children or my students that… so out it goes!

It is freeing to not worry about what other people think of you.

It is usually more about them and their hangups than about you anyway. So yeah, it is totally not any of my business, thank god! It is rarely helpful information anyway, they can keep their opinions of me to themselves.  :)

I think some people are just born to teach, and the school environment amplifies all three of those things; I feel the exact same way.

ummm, so you think some people are just born to be nosy? :)

I think work and community involvement can be a caring and unitifying element that can lead to people feeling they are a part of someone business, sort of the downside of "it takes a village" idea.