NerFiWriCh 1 (Begins Jan 16)

Greetings, writing nerds! Announcing the first NerFiWriCh ever! That would be Nerd Fitness Writing Challenge, and is pronounced Nerfy-Rich.

So a bunch of people were talking about how they had always wanted to join in on National Novel-Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo, but the problem was that the timing was bad. NaNoWriMo takes place during the month of November, which can be a bit of a challenge thanks to a wide variety of reasons.

First, a bit of background for those just arriving: NaNoWriMo is an event that happens every year where thousands (seriously) of people sign up to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. That's 30 days, or 1,667 words a day. This can be difficult during November thanks to the aforementioned variety of reasons. However, there is hope!

Enter NerFiWriCh. Starting on January 16th, it will end on the same day as the current challenge cycle (Feb 15th). This will give us the 30 days of artistic abandon that we need to match NaNoWriMo's timeline. The goal will remain the same: write a 50,000 word novel during those 30 days.

We're going to have people sign up and use this thread as an accountability partnership. Right now we have spaces for 10 people on the accoutabilibuddies sheet, but we can add more if we need them. Sign up on this thread too, let us know who you are and what you plan to write, and how many words you plan to shoot for when we get started!

(Uh, also, admins, if I've screwed up protocol or something, lemme know. Cheers!)

• Like 3

Level 10 Superhero Trainee (Ranger)

Str 20   Dex 12   Sta 15   Con 15   Wis 13   Cha 16

My Battle Log: Getting Back on the Horse

Challenges! 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

NerFiWriCh Completed: 1!

My book! The Mercenary's Guide to Ruined Seattle.

To all you saints and sinners!

You losers and you winners!

Here's to one more day above the roses!

Frequently asked questions!

Is 50,000 words even possible in 30 days?

It is! I know of thousands of writers who have done it on NaNoWriMo. I’ve done it there myself four times, officially.

What if I sign up and just say that I wrote the book, but didn’t really?

Then you’re only robbing yourself. There’s only one prize, and it’s not one that anyone can give to you besides yourself.

Uh. What prize?

The knowledge that you’ve written a book. You did what you always said that you were going to get around to doing. You’ve hewn raw, bleeding potential from the collective consciousness of humanity and captured that ethereal wisp on the page in readable form.

Great, what do I do with it when I’m done?

Edit it down. Keep it in a drawer or folder on your hard drive. Delete it. Print it out and feed it to a goat. It’s your baby.

Well what if it’s not perfect?

It’s not going to be perfect. Accept that. Wrap yourself around that truth and let it warm you while you write. Perfection is for later, in the editing process. Now is the time to just let go and write. Go mad with the sheer joy of creation, and let your story carry you where it will. Surprise yourself. Your inner editor will be there when you get back with something for him/her/it to edit.

Who’s going to see it?

No one you don’t want to show it to. It’s yours. It’s private (I strongly recommend keeping it private, outside of little things like a plot synopsis or something you throw about from time to time). If you finish and you want to show someone, that is entirely up to you. Entirely.

Who owns the finished product?

You do. Neither I, anyone involved, nor Nerd Fitness has any claim on your work. This is just an accountability group.

Does it have to be 50,000 words?

Well, it has to be at least 50k. You can sign up for more. That's sort of an arbitrary number, but it seems to be just about right to stretch people.

Does it have to be a novel? Can I do a book of short stories, or poetry?

I'd honestly recommend doing a full-on novel. That's how the NaNoWriMo people do it, and it seems to work for them. That said, it's not like anyone here is going to send anyone to check on you. Write, baby.

Can I start early?

Things like planning, outlining, rolling up characters...these are all permissible things before we get rolling. But no words that count toward your final word count before Jan 16th, okay?

50,000 words is crazy. This is crazy, right?

Pancake.

• Like 2

My name is Spark.

I plan to write 60,000 words during NerFiWriCh 1. My strategy is to over-write, so I'll be doing 2500/day to allow myself a bit of a cushion.

Novel idea: A bunch of supervillains are forced to become superheroes in an alternate reality.

Day 1: 2506

Day 2: 2541 (5047/60,000)

Day 3: 2559 (7606/60,000)

Day 4: 2510 (10,116/60,000)

Day 5: 2523 (12,639/60,000)

Day 6: 2517 (15,156/60k)

Day 7: 2592 (17,728/60k)

Day 8: 2569 (20,297/60k)

Day 9: 1673 (21,970)

Day 10: 3,337 (25,307)

Day 11: 2,518 (27,825)

Day 12: 513 (28,338)

Day 13: 2,508 (30846)

Day 14: 2,510 (33356)

Day 15: 2,519 (35875)

Day 16: 2,056 (37931)

Day 17: 3,013 (40944)

Day 18: 0

Day 19: 2513 (43457)

Day 20: 2544 (46001)

Day 21: 2515 (48516)

Day 22: 2509 (51025)

Day 23: 0

Day 24: 2531 (53556)

Day 25: 2555 (56111)

Day 26: 2501 (58612)

Day 27: 1455 (60067) Woo!

• Like 4

Thanks for running with this, Spark, and I love your FAQs!

My name is ShadowLion. I commit myself to writing 50,000 words in 30 days, starting January 16.

I will be working on an epic fantasy saga, parts of which have been rattling around in my head for nearly 25 years. They will join another approximately 120,000 words of said saga which exist at various stages of development.

I estimate that the results of NerfiWriCh will put me somewhere close to having about 50,000 to 80,000 words left to get all of the rough drafting done. I expect that to eventually yield a three or four book series.

• Like 3

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Hi. My name is Phayze and I'm a nerfy-richer.

My project is an action/adventure about people dealing with the consequences of gaining superpowers, and aims to explore the concept of heroism from various ethical and philosophical perspectives. "Thought-provoking" and "fun" are the key words for me here.

My goal is to write 50k words in 30 days, which I will add to my existing 16k(-ish) words. Currently, my "novel" is looking more like it'll be a single-volume trilogy of novellas, but I'm okay with that.

• Like 4

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

Hi. My name is AnnieP. I am writing a sci-fi romance of sorts. It's an alternate timeline piece about an arranged political marriage between the sovereign and the half noble daughter of one of his guardsmen. *spoiler alert: They fall in love* There is romance and intrigue and Elven technology. (Yeah, I like to mix my genres well - shaken, not stirred.)

I plan to write 50,000 words this Nerfy-rich. I've only won NaNo once, but this is NerdFitness. Too. Much. Win. Here. To. Fail. :D

edited to add: I already have about two or so scenes written, so I will be adding to that.

• Like 2

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Hi, folks! Thanks for the invite, Spark!

My real name is Marie and I would like an accountability group, but my goals are not to write a new novel. I have 2 novels that I've been in the process of editing down and couldn't get to it all last year [insert long story here]. 

These are both marketable products and need to get out the door ASAP. Would you like me to be in your group and cheer, even if I won't be writing new? It would be nice to have some focus for getting the done books DONE and out the door. 

It's awesome to see the Nerdy writing power here. Good luck to one and all!

HH

• Like 3

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

We never turn away someone who wants to support folks! Welcome!

• Like 3

I like the idea of an accountability group, but I don't really need to write another novel ata the moment. I have several that I'm in various stages of editing. So could I possibly use this as an editing challenge instead?

• Like 3

Level 4 Drow Adventurer

Stats: STR 8 DEX 7 CON 7.9 STA 10 WIS 8 CHA 7.9

Daily Battle Log

1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th  | 7th Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Twitter

I 'magine so, though it'll be a little harder to keep track of the goals. That's why NaNo works so well, really: 50,000 is a simple, quantifiable goal. That said, I'm in no mood to turn away any writer. I'm doing an editing challenge as part of my six-week challenge during this cycle myself.

tl;dr: knock yourself out! Welcome!

• Like 3

Hi folks! The names Quart, well Courtney.. but Quart sounds normal and looked more badass.  I'm a avid writer, well used to me.. I stopped for quite some time, and would love to get back into it, and what a better time to come across this group =) Thanks to the thread starter! Huge props!

I don't know what I plan to write.. just go where my heart and f'd up head takes me. Romance, sci fi, childrens.. who knows! But I'll do my best to hit the 50k but in all honesty as long as I get even half of that I'll be happy. It's been so long since I've written anything, I ususally just do poetry. So this novel writing is a bit of a stretch for me.

• Like 4

Zendikara

Level 1

Night Elf Adventurer

STR  2 ||  DEX  1 ||  STA 1 || CON 1 ||WIS 9 || CHA 3

Between Heaven and Hell

Nerfiwrich challenge

Previous Challenges =11/10/14

Goal: Pay off Visa

12%
12%

It's gonna be awesome, Quart! Welcome to the challenge!

• Like 2

Spark, let me first of all say this: 4 successful NaNoWriMos? holy crap mate, you must be some kind of superhero. I think I've failed (spectacularly, I might add) just as many!

With that out of the way, as much as I want to join this, I'm not sure I can with all else I've got on my plate this challenge. Do you think you will run another one of this in the future? I'd love to join then.

In the meantime, I'm rooting for everyone in this thread. Dang, you guys are awesome and if you make it, you have my automatic undisputed hatred (in a good I'm jealous of your skill way, of course). :)

• Like 5

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

@erosan - Do what you can...

I got myself into this by committing myself to 500 words a day for two weeks, then my writing group leader told me about 750words.com (awesome!), which got me writing over 1,000 words per day, which I mentioned on my challenge thread, where Spark proposed his idea of a NaNo type accountability group, and which he then started... And here we are.

Long story shortened - You never know where just committing to a doable chunk of writing per day may lead. Go for it! Or not. We'd be happy to have more people in the cheering section, too!

• Like 2

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Counting down...

:)

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

Thanks to this group, I've already met my writing quota for the week. Awesome! More to come. :)

• Like 3

Level 9 Ranger

@Harihead - WOOT!

• Like 1

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir

You guys are awesome.

@erosan: I seriously doubt that this will be the last NerFiWriCh. I dunno what the frequency will be, but this has been a pretty good response for a new event/challenge/accountability thing. I'm not sure that I'd want to run one every challenge cycle, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if someone else wanted to run one while I recharge. You'll have opportunity!

@Harihead: Yay for more writing! Grats!

The countdown begins! Feel free to start writing your story at midnight wherever you are. I like to wait up and knock out 500 words at midnight when I do a NaNo. Completely up to you, of course.

• Like 1

WRITING PVP!

Announcing the first NerFiWriCh writing PVP session! Starting Thursday, Jan 22nd at 12:00am (wherever you are) and lasting until 11:59pm that same day (approximately 24 hours), we're going to write as hard as we can! The goal is to be the person with the highest word count for that day at the end. Naturally, all the words count toward your final word total for the end of the challenge! The winner gains the acclaim and liver-gnawing envy of all involved!

You don't have to enter if you don't want to!

Timing is subject to change in following weeks if Thursdays don't work for everyone who wants to be involved. Cheers!

• Like 2

@erosan - Do what you can...

I got myself into this by committing myself to 500 words a day for two weeks, then my writing group leader told me about 750words.com (awesome!), which got me writing over 1,000 words per day, which I mentioned on my challenge thread, where Spark proposed his idea of a NaNo type accountability group, and which he then started... And here we are.

Long story shortened - You never know where just committing to a doable chunk of writing per day may lead. Go for it! Or not. We'd be happy to have more people in the cheering section, too!

Writeordie is another great one! You can set it to different standards as to where you are as a writer. How many words you'd like to write in a certain timeframe.. how much distractions, if you want distractions.. (screen blinking or background change for examples) and how often you want it to begin.. if you stop writing after 10 seconds, 30 seconds, etc. My favorite author Michelle Rowen showed it to me, and I've used it ever since!

• Like 1

Zendikara

Level 1

Night Elf Adventurer

STR  2 ||  DEX  1 ||  STA 1 || CON 1 ||WIS 9 || CHA 3

Between Heaven and Hell

Nerfiwrich challenge

Previous Challenges =11/10/14

Goal: Pay off Visa

12%
12%

The countdown begins! Feel free to start writing your story at midnight wherever you are. I like to wait up and knock out 500 words at midnight when I do a NaNo. Completely up to you, of course.

You even have a "normal" way for doing Nano's. You're a beast!

Timing is subject to change in following weeks if Thursdays don't work for everyone who wants to be involved. Cheers!

I like the mini-challenge!

Weekdays will not work for me unless they're a holiday, due to the fact that I'm pounding out thousands of words at my day job. Unless this is just meant to see how much we can capture in the fringe hours around work..?

The 23-25 weekend is booked with an SF conference I'm attending and presenting at. I'll get my panel schedule today, I hope. It's the small and friendly COsine in Colorado Springs. I'm bringing my computer and hope to do some novel editing between events, but most of my con time is spent socializing with my peeps. It's a lovely recharge for me. :)

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Mostly it's just meant to motivate us by providing friendly competition. It often works!

@Harihead: My first thought was, "You mean some people don't have a normal way to do NaNo's?" I guess it all depends on what you're used to. I tell people that I write and self-publish books and don't think I'm doing anything remarkable. Someone tells me that they went for a 3 mile walk just for fun and I'm all   0.0

• Like 3

What's normal to a spider is madness for a fly... or so I read in a YouTube comment once. I've never thought to ask a fly what it thinks about the behavior of spiders.

I don't think I'll be waiting up tonight, but I'm looking forward to letting my brain go wild with this thing! ^^

• Like 2

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

That's exactly how to tackle it all! Just let it go (let it goooooo!) and let yourself create a big, messy pile of art. It's neither the time nor the place for an inner editor to be involved.

Above all, for the love of everything that should be loved, have FUN. Even when it's difficult to proceed, have fun with it.

• Like 2

It's still 2 and a half hours before midnght here and my bedtime is 10:30 pm, so I'm outlining for an hour before bed and then getting a good night's sleep to hit it hard tomorrow!

To FUN!

• Like 3

~T. E. Lawrence

~John Muir