Elsfaire tries to learn excellent ninja BALANCE!

elsfaire

Sorry that I am joining the party late. The holidays kind of hit me hard, partly because I had so much backed up from having gone on our epic trip to New Zealand. (For those who want to see, I did finally post a summary and some pics at the end of my last challenge thread: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/56318-elsfaire-accompanies-the-hobbit-through-middle-earth/page-5 Just scroll down a bit. ) I have been doing things, but have not been able to post on the NF boards at all fro a few weeks.

For this challenge:

I have a real issue with maintaining balance. I recently had a breakthrough in dealing with my “baggage,†and want to use the opportunity to really get the hang of emotional balance. When it comes to work and home tasks, I have a tendency to laser-focus on the most important thing, and let everything else get away from me. If there is nothing to laser-focus on, then I kind of meander and I accomplish only a fraction of what needs to get done. Since I work from home, this can be a real problem. For this challenge, I think I will get the best benefit from improving my balance in all areas: emotionally, work/life/relationships, and –of course- physical balance. Yes, this could be a Druid challenge, but I feel at home in the Assassins and want to stay here. So there. :-P

For simplicity (and my sanity), all goals will be points-based. They may seem easy, but I am trying to establish a habit of balance instead of see-sawing between goals and tasks.

Fitness Goals:

Balanced Workouts:

Work out at least 6 times per week, hopefully evenly split between aerobic, strength, and flexibility/movement. 1 point for each workout lasting at least 20 minutes. Non-consecutive 20-minute workouts are ok for all but aerobic days.

Finding Eternal Steadiness:

For this, I will return to balance work. I used to have great balance as a child.  I also enjoyed working on handstands last summer, though always doing the same thing gets tedious. So, I will let anything that improves my balance count for this category. Yoga can count for both a workout and balance, if it contains a significant number of balance poses. 1 point for each day that amounts to a cumulative 5 minutes or more of balance work.

0613_NinjaPlumPoles.jpg

Emotional Balance:

Doing:

1 point for each day/time that I either: journal/self-parent, spend social time with friends/family, or am authentic with someone, or do another activity that supports me emotionally.

Thinking:

1 point for each day that I either meditate or spend time on my positive questions.

Life/Work Balance:

1 point for each day that I get through my entire day’s to-do list OR have at least 3, 1-hour long sessions of focused work time (as opposed to being scattered for the entire work day). This counts even if I make the to-do list more reasonable in order to accomplish it. ;)

1 point each day that I choose to do something fun OUTSIDE of work hours, ask for help with family chores, decide NOT to do work for my day job in the evening, or kindly hold my children accountable for their tasks.

Grading

The realistic number of points for the week in each goal category is 14, but I will give bonus points for 2 workouts in a day, etc. In keeping with the grading format that has worked better for me in the past, grading will be as follows for each category:

0-3/need more support; 4-6/A good start; 7-9/Nice –keep it going; 10-13/Great!; 14-18/Wow, Amazing!; 19+/â€I am the Dragonâ€

I will probably not participate in stat points, Most Wanted, and such this challenge since I am so late. I reserve the right to change my mind, though. :) I can do a week 1 summary tomorrow...

• Like 6

hey and yay! love the theme, this one looks like a goody.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Waiting for you to Be The Dragon!!!

Dragons.Gift.of.the.Night.Fury.2011.DVDR

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Better late than never! good luck :)

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Glad you made it to the party! If you had gone over to the Druids, we would have had to come up with a plan to kidnap you and bring you back here where you belong. :lol: 

You know that you saying this tempted me to go to the Druids just to see how you would pull this off. :playful:

hey and yay! love the theme, this one looks like a goody.

I may need to try to find time to take some pics or videos if I get to doing anything good. Maybe involving the throwing knives we gave our kids for Christmas...

Waiting for you to Be The Dragon!!!

Dragons.Gift.of.the.Night.Fury.2011.DVDR

So am I, but I think I am getting close. :)

I LOVE Toothless and HTTYD, btw, so this was a great pic to post. :)

Better late than never! good luck :)

Thanks! Glad to have you here.

Yeah, new challenge!!

It was lovely to read about your amazing trip, and to see all those wonderful photos. Vicarious vacation!

Glad to see you joined me again, and that you enjoyed the pics! :)

Week 1 Summary

I am deciding to do a week 1 summary even though I did not have a challenge posted for most of it. I have been working on many of these goals previous to this challenge - the challenge just helps me put more focus on them and quantify the efforts to make them more measurable. So here goes.

Fitness Goals:  7 total points =Nice!

Fitness Workouts: 1 walk, 2 stationary bike, 2 BWW, 3 yoga. = 6 points

Balance Work: 1

Emotional Balance: 9 total points = Nice!

Doing: 3 social time, 2 journaling = 5 points

Thinking: 4 positive questions = 4 points

Life/Work Balance: Did not track this category before the challenge

Work focus:

Non-work/Family/Fun:

Not bad for a non-challenge. :)

Week 2 so far:

Fitness:

Workouts so far this week have been going to bellydance class on Tuesday (very fun, and more of a workout than I thought it would be!) and doing stationary bike today (Wed). On Monday I did some balance work, but not quite 5 minutes. Tuesday and today I have done 5 minutes of balance work. The balance work is kind of silly in a way, but I feel like it is helping. I do anything that would help my balance, including standing on 1 leg while doing dishes, brushing teeth, or folding laundry (harder than you think!), balancing on all-fours on our stay-ball (a physio ball with a sandbag in it to keep i from rolling so much), doing balance-developing yoga poses, and handstand work.      4 points so far

Emotional:

So far, I had some social time on Monday, did meditation Monday and Tuesday, and positive questions on Tuesday. I am also giving myself a "doing" point for a neat occurrence yesterday. Hubby was rather frustrated with our teens for being, well, teenagers. Typically, I would have gotten emotionally sucked in and either gotten angry, too, or would have gotten defensive and upset. Yesterday, I did neither. I was able to keep my emotional state separate from the rest of the family, and even ask the kids to help me with the dishes. Progress!     5 points so far

Life/Work/Fun:

The work focus thing is hard! I tend to either put way too much on my to-do list, or get distracted too easily. My first point in this category came today - I finished my entire to-do list for work! Hooray!

For the other category, I am doing better. Tuesday I asked my kids to do dishes with me and went to bellydance class (I know I am counting it twice, but this is a really unusual thing for me to go out and do fun exercise). This morning I sang a few songs while gathering the garbage and recycling and bringing it up the hill. I used to love to sing, but have not done it much for a long time. Another good thing!     4 (ok, 3.5) points so far

A pretty good first half of the week, I think. I am already into the "good start" grade for all my goal categories. :pride:

• Like 5

Awesome challenge so far. Congrats on not being sucked into battles with teenagers. I think standing on one foot when you think of it is an awesome idea.  I do it sometimes when brushing my teeth. Going to try it while washing dishes too.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

good job! Hey DM where you go to bellydance. I did it at Atlanta Bellydance in Candler park for a while!

• Like 1

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

good job! Hey DM where you go to bellydance. I did it at Atlanta Bellydance in Candler park for a while!

It's a place in Alpharetta. I am going to class with a friend, and she lives up there. We are the only 2 students, so it is kind of cool.

Great work! Belly dance is soooo much fun. I love the jingly hip scarf.

The hip scarves are neat. I have a full bellydance costume hubby bought for me at the Rennaissance Faire a few years ago. I like that I now have a real use for it instead of it just being a costume. :)

Awesome challenge so far. Congrats on not being sucked into battles with teenagers. I think standing on one foot when you think of it is an awesome idea.  I do it sometimes when brushing my teeth. Going to try it while washing dishes too.

Balancing on 1 leg while brushing teeth = pretty doable. While washing dishes = ok, but a bit more work, partly because the countertop/sink limits how I can stand. While folding laundry = surprisingly hard

Let me know if you find other times to combine balance work with necessary things. The balancing makes it more fun for me. :)

Week 2, (most of) Thursday update

It was both a good and strange day. I was pretty tired this morning, so I went back to bed and did a half hour meditation after the kids got on the bus. Then, the Hobbit and I did the first level of the X-Factor workout DVDs that I gave him for Christmas. It seems like a good program. The instructor talks a lot about form, seems to have a good balance of push/pull/legs/core bodyweight work, uses interval training, and the intensity for the first "week" starts at a level that is *almost* manageable for me. Well, almost manageable if I take breaks and lower the intensity here and there. :redface-new:  After that, showering, and getting breakfast, it was almost lunchtime before I was really starting to work. Then, the staffer that we are probably going to be hiring full-time for the Hobbit's business came over to try to work out some of the details of the deal. After he left, the Hobbit and I took a date break before the kids came home from school (ah, the benefits of working from home during the slow season). Then I had to answer a few emails and make dinner. For some reason, I am feeling beat again tonight, so I think it will be an early bedtime. I plan to do some journalling and yoga first, but we shall see.

Fitness: Good cardio-building BWW 1 point

Just a few handstands so far for balance work. I may miss that one today unless I do balance yoga. :panda:            5 points so far (1 pending)

Emotional:  Meditation so far, planning to journal tonight or at least do my positive questions. 6 points so far (1 pending)

Life/Work: Came NOWHERE near 3 focused 1-hour sessions OR finishing my to-do list. I did, however, decide NOT to finish up that work tonight, and am doing some self-care instead. so, I do get a point for that. :)4.5 points so far

I was looking for inspiring female ninja pics, and found this instead. Just HAD to post it. :highly_amused: :highly_amused: :highly_amused: :highly_amused:

the_pink_bunny_ninja_ninjas_demotivation

• Like 1

Again a cool challenge :).

For work, it may help you to use the pomodoro method, which basically is working concentrated for 25 minutes on one task, then takng a breal/doing small stuff for 5 minutes and then start the 25 minutes again. A lot of people on this forum use it, and it works great for most of us :).

You have been progressing really well with both exercise and mental balance since I started following you, it is very nice to see that :).

• Like 1

Hi Waanie!!!

I am aware of Pomodoro, and yes, it works. When I am working well, I use a modified Pomodoro in which I focus on work for 45 min or an hour, then take a break. I have been doing something similar since high school. The place where I run into trouble is with the kind of work I am doing, especially now. Right now, my main tasks are to make sure we know everything we need to do to hire employees and get it all ready to pull the trigger, ensure all the business finances from last year are prepped and hand them over to the accountant, then update the internet marketing and start updating the website. When I get going, I can usually get switched into my left-brain 'get it done' mode and stick with these tasks for an hour or 2, as long as the phone doesn't ring. This is good, because it is hard to do certain kinds of work in short chunks, at least for me. I don't like doing them, though, so getting started is HARD. It is even a bit harder when so few fun things really happen- and thus my points for 'fun' this challenge. :) I used to be a juggernaut when it came to accomplishing work, but I also used to do a ton socially. The last 15 years, I have pretty much been an increasing hermit, and that does not work well for my slightly extroverted self. :)

Sorry about such an involved response. I appreciate your input, and you are reminding me to start our oldest on using Pomodoro. :)

• Like 1

I was looking for inspiring female ninja pics, and found this instead. Just HAD to post it. :highly_amused: :highly_amused: :highly_amused: :highly_amused:

the Pink Ninja Bunny wins the Internet today! I'm totally stealing it.

• Like 1

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Queen of the Jungle

(part 2) (part 1)

Too bad that your work doesn't allow 25 minute blocks :/. Nothing is more annoying to me than not being able to plan, so not having nice chunks always leads to me either procastinating or changing tasks till they fit, which are both horrible options :P.

I totally understand that it's hard to start working if you don't like the current task and you can work in your own time. I do think it's good you're stopping working evenings, since that can easIly lead to a negative spiral. I like it a lot that I have regular working times now, since that makes it easy to start and stop.

Good luck with getting the oldest to study and have some fun :).

• Like 1

Not sure when I will be able to post a full update, so I wanted to post a woot:

I held a headstand for a slow count of 10 yesterday!

Not sure how vertical my legs were, but I stayed up. :)

• Like 4

Week 2, Friday - part of Sunday update

It has been a pretty good couple of days. Goals are going fairly well, interactions with the kids are fairly positive, and I am learning about myself (as usual :) ). I wish I could say that I had done more 10-second headstands, but I have not had the chance to try again yet.

It was nice to get to spend so much time with friends yesterday (disc golf, then dinner, than silliness and gaming), though unfortunately there seems to be some "drama" now happening in our group of nerd/geek gaming friends. I am beginning to feel like we belong in a sitcom, and I am unhappy with what I see potentially happening. In a nutshell, 1 man and woman have now paired off, and one of the other women is angry about it (I am not sure why, though I have my suspicions). Also, 1 of the other men seems depressed by it, I *think* because the now-paired woman seemed to be interested in him for awhile. This is all starting to affect the group dynamics as a whole. Ugh. Why can't we all just get along? I feel like I am back in college again. :nightmare:

Fitness: Friday - (pretty aerobic) walk, & balance work = 2 points
              Saturday - Disc golf & partial balance work. Giving 1 point for both combined

Sunday - hike. No balance work yet. Feeling rather beat. = .5 points (1 pending if I do yoga or balance work tonight)           9.5 points so far (+.5 - 1 pending)

Emotional:  Friday - journaling & positive questions  = 2 points
              Saturday - Social time (lots of it) = 1 point
              Sunday -  Meditation = 1 point    (1 pending if do positive Qs)                                      11 points so far (+1pending)

Life/Work: Friday - 3, 1-hour focused work sessions and not working in the evening = 2 points
              Saturday - Had fun (this is duplicate of social time, but still counts) = 1 point
              Sunday -  Held a family meeting to get the kids started on improving their executive skills. (I will be working on some of mine, too!) = 1 point                                                                                                       8.5 points so far

Looking at the above, I think I might just do the yoga or balance work, and let 2 out of 3 be "great" and go to bed early. I am tired, and I need to go to a Bing advertising seminar tomorrow.

• Like 1

Looks like a productive weekend.  I like the idea of teaching kids executive skills.

It was a productive weekend, just not in the way I had planned (I have a lot of business tax things to get sorted out and ready to go to the accountant, and need to get a number of things in place for hiring our first non-owner employees. I was hoping to get caught up on some of it this weekend. Not so much). I was very happy that at the end of the conversation about executive skills, when I asked the kids to think about something they wanted to improve so we could help them accomplish it as a way to train the skills, our younger son immediately said he wanted to sleep better and started developing a plan with my husband's help. I was thrilled! Now to help older son do something similar tomorrow...

• Like 3

It's a pity what's happening with your gaming friends. Rather than college it sounds more like highschool to me ;) But do not worry, those things usually tone down in little time.

Seems like a pretty busy weekend. Congratulations on all that work, specially the talk with the teens, that is always tricky :)

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.