Bast's Challenging Introduction - Regaining my Goddessdom

Bast

Greetings, Everyone!

My name is Bast and I'm just getting my feet wet with Nerd Fitness, so please bear with my newbieness...I'm still learning!  :beguiled:  

Introduction:

I am a US Navy Spouse, stationed in Japan for the last 5 years.  I grew up on a farm in an extremely rural community, so "working out" and "gyms / gym equipment" is quite a foreign topic for me!  Daily life on a farm was what "passed" for exercise.  Don't believe me?  Consider all the lifting, hauling, shoveling, etc. that has to happen every single day on a farm.  :fatigue:   Anyhoo...over the years, after leaving the farm, and dealing with "city life", illnesses and injuries, I was still able to maintain an active lifestyle.  However, when I developed Fibromyalgia (a chronic pain disorder), my active lifestyle was brought to a screeching halt!  I have since become "soft"...not only as in weight gain (which is surprisingly minimal by comparison), but also in physical ability and energy levels.  I still enjoy gardening and other outdoor activiites, but don't always have the energy, ability or opportunity (sometimes due to physical location).  I also have a pretty healthy diet, rich in whole foods.  At my peak health and fitness level, my weight averaged around 95 pounds...now I'm up to 126...but I know the scale isn't always an accurate way to measure my progress.  I don't have a goal weight in mind...but more a lifestyle goal, where my weight, ability/energy and pain-management are in a better place.  

Main Quest:

To regain a more active lifestyle by Summer which will, in turn, help me to have less pain and fatigue and loose 10 inches around my mid-section.  However, if it takes all year, I'm OK with that!  Something is better than nothing!

Quest 1: (18 points per week possible)

Maintain a healthy diet, rich in protein and fiber from whole foods as much as possible.  I will do this by continuing to cook and eat meals at home using real ingredients, by growing my own veggies, by shopping for produce at the local Farmer's Market, purchasing meat from local sources, as well as reading labels and reducing processed foods, and when dining out I will make the best choices possible.  I am still learning about reading labels after a severe allergic reaction (artificial sweeteners) after eating what seemed to be a harmless and safe product...only to find out they added a lot more "extras"!  

Grade:  3 points = all meals prepared at home (includes bag lunch & snacks); 2 points = 1 processed meal; 1 point = 2 processed meals; NOTE:  a healthy menu choice when dining out counts towards positive points.

Reward:  1 "cheat" for every 6 points...maybe have a special homemade dessert on Date Nite!   :love_heart:  (Did I mention my Hubby's doing this with me & just started NF, too?)

Quest 2:  (11+ points per week possible)

Incorporate more exercise into my day by doing Yoga or Barre in the morning on weekdays, by taking at least a 10-minute daily walks (weather permitting) with my DH and discussing our day and plans on weekdays, and by doing something physical together every weekend (Hashing, Archery, Biking, etc.).  Because I am not familiar with "exercise" as a formal activity, this will help me start new habits, as well as give me the gentle start that my condition requires and allow my Husband and I to enjoy more active activities together to further support our choice of a healthier lifestyle!

Grade:  2 points = weekday exercise and Hubby walk; 1 point = weekday exercise OR Hubby walk; 0 points = no exercise or Hubby walk; 1 point = extra activity (taking stairs, etc.); 1 point = weekend activity

Reward:  give myself a special "treat" (TBD) for 10 points each week...bonus - improved connection with Spousal Unit and less pain from Fibro...

Quest 3:  (18 points per week possible)

Take time to get a fresh start every day by getting a good night's sleep with plenty of quality rest via a good Bedtime Routine that includes relaxation/pampering and meditation (weeknights) and a bedtime that allows at least 8 hours of sleep before the morning alarm.

Grade:  1 point = relaxation activity; 1 point = meditation; 1 point = 8 hours sleep (NOTE: point reflects routine, not quality of sleep...I accept that is is possible to relax, meditate and go to bed 8 hours before I need to get up and still have poor sleep quality, and I will not let this discourage me from completing my Quest.)

Reward:  heck, the relaxation and good night's sleep is it's own reward, don't you think?!?   :tranquillity:   Besides, if I do good during the week, I'll have the energy to play on the weekend!

Life Quest:  (3+ points per week possible)

To downsize our life...our last two PCSs put us in new homes 1/2 the size of the previous one.  Our most recent, which was last January, came 3 months early!  So we didn't have the time we had scheduled to eliminate our excess stuff.  This has caused us to live in an extremely cluttered house (our last two were fairly cluttered to begin with) and surrounded by boxes!  My supporting life quest will be to clear out the clutter by going through 3 boxes a week.  Assess and deal with the contents of each box.  If the contents are trash, then immediately put into the trash!  If we are keeping the contents, then they will be either put away (if we will need/use while here) or repacked and shipped to our storage unit Stateside (if it is something we feel we need to keep, but don't need while stationed overseas).  If we are not keeping the contents, then we will sell the contents via the local online yard sale (proceeds will pay for shipping to storage and the rest will go into a savings account to fund our reward!).  If the contents do not sell within a week, then give away/donate to charity.

Grade:  1 point = 1 box assessed and out of the house; 1 point = any additional boxes or clutter eliminated

Reward:  A special date night or outing (as funding from yard sales allow) for every 4-6 points per week.

Motivation:

As I referenced earlier, I have a terrible condition and lament my lost active lifestyle.  While I accept that there is no cure for Fibromyalgia, I do not accept that I must resign myself to a life of constant pain, fatigue and sluggdom!!  My inspiration is the hope that by educating myself and reprogramming my thinking regarding fitness and exercise, I will better equip myself to be able to overcome my condition.  By overcoming Fibromyalgia, I will lessen my pain and increase my energy and thereby regaining, at least part, of my former active lifestyle.  And by regaining an active lifestyle I will thus be a happier and healthier person who can give back to the world and those around me.  And thus, my Goddess will be reborn...or is that respawned?!?  :cat: 

Thanks for listening...

Bast

Bast

Level 8 Assassin Goddess

STR: 19 DEX: 17 STA: 18 CON: 18 WIS: 18 CHA: 19

Challenges:  Current 7 5 4 3 2 1 1/2 Battle Log

PvP: Adulting & Accountability: The CutLasses Shimmy!

It's not how you start, but how you finish! ~ David Bach, Finish Rich

Finding Ways to Cope

Main Goals:  Controlled Weight Gain, Don't be a Slug and Necessities

Life Goal:  The Clock is Ticking

Assassins Guild Mini Challenges: No Power in the 'Verse Can Stop Us - Assassin's Pride

Good luck to you with all your goals.

A friend of mine has Fibro so while I don't know what it can possibly feel like I have seen the affect it has had on her sometimes things are rough but sometimes we celebrate when she totally kicks its arse and gets things done. I wish you lots of celebration moments too :)

"There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so"

Level 2: Race: Wood Elf  Class: Assassin

STR:2  DEX: 2  STA:1  CON: 3  WIS:3  CHA:3

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/59241-rackrent-vs-dreadlock-hill/

Good luck to you with all your goals.

A friend of mine has Fibro so while I don't know what it can possibly feel like I have seen the affect it has had on her sometimes things are rough but sometimes we celebrate when she totally kicks its arse and gets things done. I wish you lots of celebration moments too :)

Thanks,  Rackrent!

The best way I've found to describe what Fibro feels like is to imagine the worst case of the flu you've ever had...then take away the nausea & vomiting, but keep all the all over body aches...then multiply THAT by 10...and that's nearly everyday for someone with Fibro...which I agree with your friend in that sometimes it's a wonder we get anything done and it's DEFINITELY a reason to celebrate those little victories!  My best to your friend and kudos for her determination and not giving up!!  Thanks, again!

Bast

Level 8 Assassin Goddess

Finding Ways to Cope

Assassins Guild Mini Challenges: No Power in the 'Verse Can Stop Us - Assassin's Pride

Hello! I followed you home from the Shimmy! board so I can stalk you at my leisure. Looks like a great set of goals!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Tzippi Longstockings, level 9 Ranger/Monk 

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

MamaBear Kiss Off Waterbending Rounding <<Current

How's the sleep thing going? I always think about making my nighttime routine a little more regular but it's always sporadic. 

Hey, Mogget!

Not as well as I had hoped...I'm getting my bedtime routine in, complete with a nice relaxing soak followed by meditation before snuggling in...but sadly my sleep has not been good.    :sorrow:   On the first night, my beloved, well-intentioned, Spousal Unit came in to tell me goodnight (he works nights, so my goal has me in bed & hopefully asleep before he leaves) and woke me up to do so...which rendered my brain awake but my body was still relaxed and wanting to rest!  The other hiccups in the game plan were due in part to our girls (3 cats) being indecisive in the middle of the night and waking me repeatedly, dealing with sinus issues and then battling a bug that was going around...UHG!  :disgust:   But I'm hanging in there!  I know that the relaxation and soaking is good for my Fibro...and the meditation helps me to work on being able to quiet my mind better.  

Some nights can get a bit crazed, but I like an article I read from the Flylady where she said if you don't take time to pamper yourself, who will?  I believe that we all deserve that little bit of "selfishness"...it helps us refill our cup so we have more to give later when it's needed!  Maybe if you take a few baby steps to work your way to a better nighttime routine it won't seem so daunting...perhaps things that help you start your day better, or maybe just 10 or 15 minutes before bed to relax and/or pamper yourself?  I hope you can have a less sporadic evening! 

Bast

Level 8 Assassin Goddess

Finding Ways to Cope

Welcome to the Cutlasses! :pirate:

You certainly have a mighty dragon to slay, but your attitude will get you far.  You'll do great!!!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

The way that you described Fibromyalgia sounds just terrible.  I've heard of it before, but no one has ever given me a realistic perspective on the pain.  You have an amazing attitude about where you are right now.  It sounds like you're got a great handle on healthy eating and you're working your way back into an active lifestyle!  Your goals are all very clear, as is your motivation.

You might enjoy reading through some posts from She-Hulk.  She has been fighting to get her RA into remission through healthier eating and lots of activity.  Different illness, I know, but I have a feeling you two might still understand each other.  And... well, she's just plain awesome!  Check it out if you get the time.

My husband was in the Navy before joining the Marine Corps.  I know what you mean about him coming in late and waking you.  You can't help but be happy he is home, but you're just sooooo tired... 

Good luck on your goals!

• Like 1

1 Tim 4:7-8 "...train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value,

godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."

Current Challenge: ... this feature is still loading ...

Previous Challenges: Commiting to CommitUnashamedCoping through HopingChillaxes

Thanks, Randa!

Yes, Fibro can be horrid...and it effects everyone differently, and can rear it's ugly head when least expected!  Thanks for the motivation!

She-Hulk sounds like an interesting person!  I had a dear friend who had RA...we used to commiserate and build each other up and find creative ways to overcome!!  We would go camping together alot, and this one time came up with a portable hot bath so that we could do mineral soaks to ease our pain and stave off cold when on a week-long camping trip in Early Spring!  We were the envy of all the camps!!   :playful:

My DH (Dearest Hubby) is truly a blessing, yes...he drives me crazy sometimes, but he is a good man and my greatest cheerleader!!  I never would have been able to climb Mt. Fuji if it wasn't for him cheering me on all the way!!  

Thanks again!  Best of luck on your goals and challenges!

:cat:

Bast

Level 8 Assassin Goddess

Finding Ways to Cope

glad to have you with us, Bast! will be reading along and keeping tabs on your progress! [in a supportive way, not a creepy I'm-watching-you-from-the-bushes way.]

• Like 1

level 4 elf ranger
STR | 6    DEX | 5    STA | 6    CON | 4    WIS | 4    CHA | 8

Portable hot bath while camping?  Yes, please!  Ha, that's just amazing!

Also, did I read that right?  Mt. Fuji!?  That is also AMAZING!  I've never climbed a mountain.  In fact, where I live we don't even have hills...  Mega kudos to you on the adventures!  And may you find yourself having many many more!

• Like 1

1 Tim 4:7-8 "...train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value,

godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."

Current Challenge: ... this feature is still loading ...

Previous Challenges: Commiting to CommitUnashamedCoping through HopingChillaxes

Portable hot bath while camping?  Yes, please!  Ha, that's just amazing!

Also, did I read that right?  Mt. Fuji!?  That is also AMAZING!  I've never climbed a mountain.  In fact, where I live we don't even have hills...  Mega kudos to you on the adventures!  And may you find yourself having many many more!

Yup...you read right on both counts...

Since we're in Japan for 2 more years (at least), he wants to climb Mt. Fuji again...he's been talking about doing it this year...  

I'm sure you can find a mountain to climb...maybe take a trip to hike the Appalachians (absolutely BEAUTIFU!) or get creative...take the stairs to the top of the tallest building in your area... You can do it!!

• Like 1

Bast

Level 8 Assassin Goddess

Finding Ways to Cope

Oh hey, it's me again!  How are the goals going?

I'm taking off my pirate hat and putting on my Assassin Ambassador hat, now (I wear many hats!).  With the sort of work you're doing, maybe you might think about joining us once this challenge is done!  Even if you ultimately don't join us, we'd love to help you along on your journey, and there are a lot of people working on goals similar to yours within our black-clad ranks...

If you think you might like to check us out, I hope you'll come by the Assassins' Den chat and say hello!  We're very welcoming killers-in-black, really.    ;)  You can also check out the Assassin Guild Info & Announcements for more info about what's going on with the guild.  Pretty soon, we should also have our Assassins' Phonebook up as well, which will allow you to find people who are working on similar skills to yours.  And though we may be the bodyweight guild, we're also a guild of extreme variety - we do a bit of everything!

Additionally, if you like what you see, I encourage you to go introduce yourself on the Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread as well!  There are a lot of fun people hanging out as they consider whether to join us - and you can make new friends, ask questions of guild leadership, post awesome gifs (we wouldn't be Assassins without gif parties) and more!  I hope to see you there soon.

Regardless, I or one of my colleagues will be checking in on you from here on out, cheering you on towards success!  Now get out there and keep crushing those goals!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Popping in to cheer you on, hope it's going well :)

I'm taking my first trip to Japan next year specifically to hike Mt Fuji. Is there a time of the year that's best to do it?

"There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so"

Level 2: Race: Wood Elf  Class: Assassin

STR:2  DEX: 2  STA:1  CON: 3  WIS:3  CHA:3

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/59241-rackrent-vs-dreadlock-hill/

glad to have you with us, Bast! will be reading along and keeping tabs on your progress! [in a supportive way, not a creepy I'm-watching-you-from-the-bushes way.]

I am unashamedly creeping on you from behind the bamboo.

giphy.gif

/creeper

• Like 1

Battle Log - My Fitness Pal - Quest to Find My Epic Quest - Challenges:   #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7,

The Westerosi Fitness Tour: Dorne Stormlands Vale the Reach Westerlands The Wall 

Hey there, where did you disappear off to?

Was I too creepy?

The challenge is almost over and we haven't seen you in awhile - but I hope you're just too busy rocking it out there to post.  Remember - you don't have to be perfect, just a little bit better than the you of yesterday.  Hope you'll be back soon to wrap up with us!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads