Hello Musicians!

Welcome to The Practice Room. 

This group is open to any and all musicians looking to dedicate time to our Perform skill.

Any looking to join, first please make a post about yourself and what you do for music.  What do you play?  What part do you sing?  Anything fun we should know?

Then, follow the thread. 

Have a good practice session?  Let us know!  Roll a 1?  Let us know that as well.  We can swap tips for making the most of it!

Let's make some music!

sml_gallery_33539_1483_2869.gif

• Like 1

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Needs to update her skills

STR 5 | STA 2 | DEX 1 | CON 5 | WIS 7 | CHA 6

Trained Skills:

Perform:  1

Climb:  2

Current Challenge

Some people found the old thread from last challenge, so I thought I'd move us into the new year!

I'm a singer who sings with a few professional and semi-professional groups around my humble town, directs her own group that specializes in Medieval music, and teaches privately.  I'm in the process of making the transition to doing only music and ditching my day job, but the transition is lasting a leeeeeetle longer than I would like and the wings aren't quite strong enough yet to fly.

I have an audition for a group tomorrow, and I'm plenty nervous.  I have only done a live audition once in the last two years (yeah, really!) and I feel a little out of practice for auditioning.  Last time I had a pretty bad anxiety reaction and didn't sing nearly as could as I should have.  Wish me luck!

I hope that those who joined the last thread will join us here.  Come say hi!

• Like 2

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Trained Skills:

Current Challenge

Good to see this started up again :D

I'm Jason, and I'm an aspiring guitarist. Been playing off and on for atleast 5 years now, can play a few songs and self-taught. I decided to take lessons to improve my skills and am currently practicing for my challenge to be able to play in a band or with other people in a couple of challenges. Telecaster is my favorite guitar atm

013-1212-307-1.JPG

• Like 1

Level 66. Adventure Knight. 

str 127.3 dex 118.3 sta 128.7 con 129.2 wis 146.5 cha 135.1 

"You have in you the seeds of greatness and the seeds of destruction. The seeds you nurture will prevail. Choose wisely."

"Spring comes, the grass grows by itself" ~Zen proverb

Good luck, Dantilla!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Ooh, this is relevant to my interests!

I grew up an instrumentalist -- piano, flute, and trumpet (and for 6 weeks, clarinet) -- but now I'm a vocalist. I've been regularly singing in not-car and not-shower environments for the past four years now, starting in community choir and very recently moving on to musical theatre, which is my true love and joy. I'm currently signed up for five musical/operetta auditions over the next four months... we'll see how they go! And practicing singing 6x/week is one of my challenge goals. ^_^

Nice to meet you!!

• Like 2

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Hi everyone!

I've been playing piano since I was 8 (will be 30 in a couple of weeks!). I would call myself a "mediocre" player; I don't have the skill to play with a band or anything like that, and never wanted to do any music competitions, although there are lots around my area. I played at my brother's wedding and I've done gentle "background" music at a couple of charity events. But basically, I just play for myself because I like it. I suppose my mom likes hearing me play as well :tongue:

I love that I found this group because I've really let my piano slip. I was MUCH more skillful 10 years ago then I am now (!!). That's because up until high school I had regular lessons and practiced at home regularly. I didn't have access to a piano during my undergrad, so I basically only got to play when I visited home occasionally. While in grad school, I did save up money and take lessons once or twice a month for a year or so just to relearn some of what I'd lost. But I don't have the funds (or the time) to do that anymore.

I would love to get back into playing more. I don't have my own piano, but I visit my brother fairly regularly and use his keyboard.

I'm not looking to become some great pianist, but I would like to get my skills back to where they were when I was a teenager! 

Good to meet everyone here and looking forward to spreading my musical wings. :joyous:

• Like 2

Fultonator
Human Assassin

Level 5

STR 5  |  DEX 6  |  STA 7  |  CON 6  |  WIS 12  |  CHA 5

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:  #1   #2   #3   #4   #5   #6   #7  #8

"I do not try to dance better than anyone else. I only try to dance better than myself." - Mikhail Baryshnikov

I just wanted to drop in and say hey - I posted my bio stuff in the last group and eventually will do it here as well!  I love meeting so many other musicians!!

• Like 2

Level 1 Blob Bard/Assassin

[sTR] 0; [DEX] 0; [CON] 1; [iNT] 1; [WIS] 1; CHA [1]

RACE: Human Blob

Past Challenges: FOLLOW THE STRUGGLE (Challenge #1)

Current Challenge:

Battle Log: FIELD JOURNAL/BATTLE LOG IS HERE

Accountabuddies/Guilds: The Practice Room - 2015|Bards Do It Best!

Hey guys, welcome!

Today looks like a great day for practicing....

I'd like to throw out there, for those who want it, a practice goal for this week.

Let's work on ONSETS. 

The onset is the beginning of the note, or chord for those of us whose instrument does more than one at a time.  Try to make that onset clean, accurate, and beautiful.  For wind instruments, that might involve some tonguing technique, for pianists making sure that the notes of the chord all land at exactly the same time, for a plucked string player really controlling the movement of your finger/nail/pick through the string, for a vocalist either a clean, immediate vowel or a sharp, efficient consonant.

There's something to be said for a strong beginning.  Report in and let us know what you've learned! :barbershop_quartet_

cat+singing.jpg

• Like 1

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Trained Skills:

Current Challenge

I love your idea of working on onsets. This is something I know I have struggled with a bit in the past on saxophone. I'll keep you posted on how it goes vocally. It's seems to be so hard to find time to practice when you are the teacher, but that's what planning periods are for right?!

• Like 1

Belladonna Grneyedmusiklvr

Hobbit Ranger | Level 0

|| STR  || DEX  || STA  || CON  || WIS  || CHA  ||

|| grneyedmusiklvr || bodyspace ||

|| Challenges: 1 ||

•  

•  

@Grneyedmusiklvr 

Practice sessions don't have to be long.  10 minutes is plenty to work on a single skill.  Sometimes it's actually better because you don't lose focus!

My onsets have gotten a little cleaner this week.  I've mostly been working on "ah" with no consonant in front, trying to get the focus and resonance to line up exactly at the start.

What I did notice was that I was blowing through a lot of air on the first one or two notes, which was compromising the last few notes of the scale I was working on because I was running out of air on them.  I am working on being more efficient with my breath, which means I have to be VERY exact on those onsets, but when I do it right the whole scale sparkles, down to the last drop.

I have a lot of work to do to make that consistent, tho!

How is everyone else doing?

• Like 1

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Trained Skills:

Current Challenge

Hi.. I'm working on getting back into clarinet playing for this challenge. I've been trying practice 5 times a week for at least 10 minutes and I'm surprised how much difference that has made. I guess I never practiced consistently in the past. So far I've just been playing around with remembering the fingerings, learning scales, getting the sound right and trying to not wave my fingers all around the place. I also tested all my reeds this week and found out that some of them were dodgy, so I threw them out and am enjoying a better sound with the remaining ones.

Your practice goal of Onsets makes me realise that it is time for me to focus on my next big weakness, tonguing. I have terrible technique as I have never had lessons and just did something that sounded like tonguing. But I'm actually doing it against the roof of my mouth and not the reed, and it tends to be slow and cause the sound to be a bit fuzzy and muted.. which bugs me.

It's time to get that sorted out so then I can get a nice clean onset note and so that I can enjoy hearing my playing!!  I've got a couple of online articles about what the tongue should be doing so I'll start trying to teach my muscles new skills this week :)

It's actually going to be quite a challenge as I played the clarinet regularly for a couple of years and my ingrained habit is to pull my tongue back in my mouth whenever I blow through the clarinet.

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."

Challenges: 1 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |

Goodreads

That's cool that you are self taught! Maybe hiring a teacher could help you fix those mechanical issues really quickly?

I've been slacking off on the guitar lessons, but I know the fire is still there. Just gotta give it a chance and to be mindful and present enough to start it, then I'll let momentum take it from there. 0/4 of last 4 opportunities :nightmare:

Level 66. Adventure Knight. 

str 127.3 dex 118.3 sta 128.7 con 129.2 wis 146.5 cha 135.1 

"You have in you the seeds of greatness and the seeds of destruction. The seeds you nurture will prevail. Choose wisely."

"Spring comes, the grass grows by itself" ~Zen proverb

@deborahjade - When I played clarinet 30,000 years ago, I remember hearing something about practicing going tah tah tah against the back of your teeth without the mouthpiece in to get the motion, then tah tah against the reed when you have it in your mouth.  Pedagogy might have changed since then, but give it a try!

@Glass - don't let the Blerch win!  Just 10 minute increments will get you there!

@Grneyedmusiklvr - how are things going?

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Trained Skills:

Current Challenge

Week 4!!  New Challenge!!

I'm snowed in and we're in a state of emergency, so practicing is on the schedule!

Those who want to continue with onsets, I heartily encourage you to do so.

For those who want an additional challenge....

.....Let's focus on the spaces between the notes.  The transitional moments and what happens in them.  For pianists/guitarists, what are your hands/fingers doing as you move from key/string to key/string?  How can you make that more efficient?  For those of us who power our instruments with air, what has to happen with the breath to keep the legato and make the transition smooth?

Report in with progress, questions, experiences!!

da903-guitarcat3.jpg

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Trained Skills:

Current Challenge

I use a similar technique for my pennywhistle.  I'm not actually tonguing against the fipple (mouthpiece for you non-trad Irish players out there), but I am doing what Dantilla said with the tongue against the back of my front teeth.  There may be some difference depending on the instrument - never having had any classical wind training, I'm not sure this would work with other instruments, but it seems to do pretty well for me.

IronChefEd
Race: Human | Class: Adventurer | Subclass: Bard

[Level: 6 | STR: 33.7 | DEX: 7.7 | STA: 27.3 | CON: 27.9 | WIS: 14 | CHA: 15.5 ]

Current Challenge: 2016 is here!

24%
24%
Weight Loss Goal: 250 to 200

"No one will feed you as well as someone who loves you." -Alton Brown

In my area of the world it's been cold and SNOW SNOW SNOW all the time!

I took a couple days off from practicing this week because I was exhausted from my concerts last weekend, but it's time to ramp things up again.

How are onsets and between-the-notes spaces going for everyone?  Do we want to stick with those for this week, or do we want another challenge?

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Trained Skills:

Current Challenge

I know I'm a bit late on this one, but @Grneyedmusiklvr, I WISH planning periods were for practice, but unfortunately it's for copies, meetings, and choreography, OH MY! Copies and meetings and choreography, OH MY!  Can you guess what musical I've been inundated with?

On a brighter, shinier note, I got Dorothy's shoes today, and they look fantabulous!

Now if I can just survive competition.  I had a few students switch out at the semester and I lost the fire power I had for the piece I chose.  Now I'm struggling to get them to finish this final piece.  It's "Chantz a'Dieu" by Jan Sweelinck and it's the renaissance piece I chose.  It's a true exercise in vocal polyphony and these kids are NOT succeeding at the moment *rips hair out*.  WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET YOU TO COUNT!?!?  The coundown to competition is on...March...*facedesk*

Okay - need to find a better way to manage my stress...

Level 1 Blob Bard/Assassin

[sTR] 0; [DEX] 0; [CON] 1; [iNT] 1; [WIS] 1; CHA [1]

RACE: Human Blob

Past Challenges: FOLLOW THE STRUGGLE (Challenge #1)

Current Challenge:

Battle Log: FIELD JOURNAL/BATTLE LOG IS HERE

Accountabuddies/Guilds: The Practice Room - 2015|Bards Do It Best!

It's a true exercise in vocal polyphony and these kids are NOT succeeding at the moment *rips hair out*.  WHAT DOES IT TAKE TO GET YOU TO COUNT!?!?

How old are they? Middle school, high school?

Have you tried having them all sing each other's parts in their own octave, one at a time?

Have you tried having them clap the measure?

Dantilla

Level 3? Bard/Assasssin,

Trained Skills:

Current Challenge