FYI - New Challenge Forums will be live tomorrow ×

Muay Thai or Jiu Jitsu?

I'm a starting monk and went to see where I can get classes. There is one place that teaches Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu in my area and can fit within my schedule. However, I'm not exactly sure which I should go with. I wanna focus on one, but I'm not sure which one. What I want is one that has a good mix of striking and grappling. I've also never had formal MA training, so all the information I see makes my head spin.

What are the benefits, and which should I go for?

If you have no martial arts training, I'd say go for the one that looks cooler to you. No matter what martial art you train, some of the underlying principles are universal:

• All movement comes from your core and hips, this is where you generate the most power
  • Get comfortable being uncomfortable
  • There's always someone better than you. Train to be better than that.

There are a lot more and different wordings blahblahblah.  The bottom line is that martial arts are very relatable.

I'd as you, do you want to spend more time developing explosive power - as in the ridiculously potent knees and elbows of Muay Thai - or savage strength - what it takes to control an opponent, BJJ?

Second, do you want to train for "real" situations? This is kind of a loaded question. But the bottom line is, if you expect to fight in the street, going to the ground means your odds of severe injuries not limited to head trauma grow exponentially. Quite frankly, in the real world, the ground is hot lava.

Third, Are you planning to compete in MMA? If you are, you may as well start with BJJ, since it seems like a non-negotiable component of MMA, where the striking art you choose more or less defines your personal style.

Lastly, Are you more interested in traditionalist martial arts and training or modern training? Most strictly Muay Thai dojo use many the same methods they've used for centuries. Brutal bone conditioning and aggressive training with full-contact sparring. BJJ tends to take place in a very Western gym.

It also wouldn't hurt to talk to the chief instructors at both schools and see what they have to say on the matter. I always throw up a big red flag for a training hall if the instructor insists their style is superior. To me, it shows they don't understand the roots of martial arts and the principles that matter. It also means they ignore the possibility that someone can beat them. This leads to complacence. Truth is, experience is the king of victory. The soldiers chosen for black ops aren't random; they're the guys who have been tested in battle and were expected to die, but didn't.

All in all, it's pesonal preference, but that's some food for thought.

Level 3 Martial Monk, True Neutral

STR: 6.5 | DEX: 6 | STA: 7 | CON: 9 | WIS: 8 | CHA: 6

My First Challenge

I respectfully disagree with a lot of the above, but now ain't the time and place.

---

Now, as I write this, I anticipate that it'll be a long block of text. Never fear! There'll be a TL:DR below.

I would recommend that you don't take anybody's word for it, Traveller, and actually visit the schools that interest you.

You could train any style, but if you have a shitty instructor you aren't going to go anywhere at all. We most likely don't have any experience of the instructors near you and so we can't advise you on which school to choose. Therefore, you have to go and investigate for yourself.

Note the following when you visit those schools.

1. What attitude do the instructors have? Are they strict enough, but not bullies? Do they appear knowledgeable?

2. What are the credentials of the instructors? Are they fighters themselves? Do they have a fight record? This applies to competitive sport arts.

3. Have they trained any successful amateurs/pros? This is a massive selling point. If they've led others to victory, you know they're good. Again, this is more for sport styles.

4. What is the school like? Is there a sense of camaraderie? 

5. What do they train for? Fitness, competition or for the sake of the art itself.. generally, disciplines taught in commercial gyms are meant for fitness and so will not take you anywhere if you want to be a fighter.

6. How rigorous is the ranking system? Is it simple, down to the point? Or are there like a billion ranks that cost $50 for each grading?

The six above are important aspects in my opinion, but it's not an official standard. There are plenty of excellent gyms that don't follow the above.. it seriously just depends on the gym.

There are many extensive lists online regarding the attributes of a group of clubs known in the MA world as McDojos. Have a look at this: 

http://mcdojo-faq.tripod.com/

Stay away from these. They are not legitimate. They exist in virtually every fighting style, too.

Might have guessed, but I train sport styles. Boxing is my main sport as of now, but I've dabbled around with Greco-Roman Wrestling, BJJ and Submission Grappling. If you find yourself to be more drawn to traditional arts, fear not! There are a lot of knowledgeable traditionalists on here.

If I may make another point, remember that there's really no point deciding what you want to train without any experience in the discipline itself. A lot of people aren't suited for striking arts, simply because they can't stand being hit. This can happen to anybody; my cousin is 6'3 and is an excellent rugby player, but he quit boxing by his first week after he found he just couldn't handle being hit in the face.

Likewise, a lot of people don't think grappling is suited to them, but when they actually grapple they find that it's great fun. I thought that grappling was lame (I was a pretty dumb kid), but when I actually tried grappling I was hooked straight off the bat.

You never really know what you enjoy until you've experienced it.

TL;DR - Visit the schools and then make a decision based on what you find most enjoyable. Choose the gym that you can see yourself as a part of.

• Like 1

SugarRay Lycan - Monk

Level 4 - STR : 5 | DEX : 8 | STA : 3 | CON : 5 | WIS : 8 | CHA : 1

Challenges: No. 1 - No.2 - No.3 - No.3: SugarRay's Comeback Match.