Should I quit heavy lifting?

Okay, this is not really what I meant. I mean, it is... for maybe a year or two.

I've said in several posts.. I first started with only heavy lifting 3 times a week. I recently decided to invest on body weight workouts at home, so I only go to the gym 2 times and try to get at least 1 bodyweight workout at home.

Thing is... at the moment i'm not swimming in money to pay a gym, and I was wondering if investing on a dip bar would be better than just paying a gym monthly. I'm also traveling back and forth between UK and Portugal, and that means some of the weeks I pay for the gym I can't even use it.

I know it works.. yet.. I'm still afraid to let go of the heavy lifting. I never felt so strong and it started with that. Even if now I'm more focused into getting more pull ups, crow and L pose done, between other stuff.

So... seeking reassurance of you guys... it is still possible to get a strong, sculpt body with bodyweight workouts? Will I lose strength from stopping the weight lifting?

• Like 1

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

NODDY'S ENTERS THE HISTORIC RUINS (challenge)

Race: Half Demon | Class: Adventurer | Character sheet

- - -

DeviantArt

*GASP*  HERESY!  HERESSSSSY!

No, seriously - do what's right for you.  It makes smarter financial sense to cut out the gym expense *and* you have good alternatives in place to keep chasing your fitness goals.

I say go for it - and once you're on a better financial footing, the iron will be there, waiting for you. ;)

• Like 3

I actually came to love the barbell :) It's like an old buddie while bodyweight exercise is the fun younger challenge. I like the stronglifts workouts, they are simple and functional. Deadlifts since I started doing them right are just awesome.

But yeah.. life is not making things easy.

• Like 1

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

- - -

DeviantArt

It's totally possible. You can get super strong without even looking at weights. I say do what you enjoy the most, but if money is an issue, bodyweight strength training is definitely a VERY good alternative.

I have a few articles on my site that explain how to get really strong without ever touching iron. Let me know how you like it.

Thanks BaconHunter!! I'm definitely still working out through the pistols and handstands (still far away on the push ups though) xD

Pistols seem to be taking the most time though. It's terrible to go from the assisted version to the proper pistol.

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

- - -

DeviantArt

So... seeking reassurance of you guys... it is still possible to get a strong, sculpt body with bodyweight workouts? Will I lose strength from stopping the weight lifting?

yes and probably

you will most likely lose some strength in the form of being able to pick up a heavy bar off the floor stand for a bit and put it back down again .... but you will gain strength in other areas, the ability to effortlessly elevate yourself off of your office chair just using your arms, the impromptu  chinups off of stair cases as you skip down them.

With body weight exercises you dont appreciate how much time you spend getting off the floor, getting back on to it, doing handstands etc ... your ability to move around and the feeling of nimbleness and agility also improves

functional strength you get to notice a lot more than bar strength in my views .... although you will miss that bar and the more rapid gains you seem to make with one as you lift a little heavier each week.

I have to mix the 2 .... heavy dead lifts and squats using sandbags - dont know how much they weigh, but the effort is the same as a bar, just not properly recordable ... and when you do collapse hugging a sand bag ... its like a whole new workout trying to get it off of you :D

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

I'm in a similar position- I'm broke, not really enjoying lifting much anymore, and really excited about the gymnastics program I just started.  I'm also starting school soon, and there's a gym on campus.  I'm about to quit my gym membership, I think.  I just haven't quite hit all my lifting goals, though.

I did bodyweight stuff for a couple of years, then transitioned to barbell for a few years, but now I think I'm going to transition back to bodyweight.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

More resources to consider:

Strength Unbound

Start Bodyweight

or a DIY gym option:

End of 3

In the end, you should go with whichever option works best for you, but with the right program, you can get similar results through either method.

• Like 2

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

yes and probably

you will most likely lose some strength in the form of being able to pick up a heavy bar off the floor stand for a bit and put it back down again .... but you will gain strength in other areas, the ability to effortlessly elevate yourself off of your office chair just using your arms, the impromptu  chinups off of stair cases as you skip down them.

With body weight exercises you dont appreciate how much time you spend getting off the floor, getting back on to it, doing handstands etc ... your ability to move around and the feeling of nimbleness and agility also improves

functional strength you get to notice a lot more than bar strength in my views .... although you will miss that bar and the more rapid gains you seem to make with one as you lift a little heavier each week.

I have to mix the 2 .... heavy dead lifts and squats using sandbags - dont know how much they weigh, but the effort is the same as a bar, just not properly recordable ... and when you do collapse hugging a sand bag ... its like a whole new workout trying to get it off of you :D

Yeah, I was thinking about that. If I quit lifting, even if I get stronger it doesn't mean I'll start right away lifting 20kg heavier ^^'

And yes, my perfect routine, at least for now, should be a mixture of bodyweight workouts and heavy lifting. Hopefully I can maintain both of them later.

I'm in a similar position- I'm broke, not really enjoying lifting much anymore, and really excited about the gymnastics program I just started.  I'm also starting school soon, and there's a gym on campus.  I'm about to quit my gym membership, I think.  I just haven't quite hit all my lifting goals, though.

I did bodyweight stuff for a couple of years, then transitioned to barbell for a few years, but now I think I'm going to transition back to bodyweight.

Ohh, I still enjoy lifting. I think I'm coming to love all kinds of exercise, in moderation. If I had nothing else to do, I'd be on martial arts, gym, gymnastics, ice skating, etc xD

More resources to consider:

Strength Unbound

Start Bodyweight

or a DIY gym option:

End of 3

In the end, you should go with whichever option works best for you, but with the right program, you can get similar results through either method.

I'm doing Start Bodyweight :) the DIY option is great!! That's my dream, getting a home based gym, or a garage gym. :) Later on, definitely! I'm already slowly getting things for bodyweight, but a barbell? ohhh that would be just great :) not in a rented small apartment though!

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

- - -

DeviantArt

<- Never touched a weight bigger than a 35 lb DB

And that's an old pic, I'm relatively small and kinda fat in that shot, about 1-2% BF leaner now and 15 lbs heavier. My chest looks hilariously pitiful in that pic.

I would get rings instead of a dip bar. A pair of rings hanging from a doorway pullup bar is a great dip station.

Rings are more portable, you can do a lot more with them, and they are cheaper.

• Like 1

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

<- Never touched a weight bigger than a 35 lb DB

And that's an old pic, I'm relatively small and kinda fat in that shot, about 1-2% BF leaner now and 15 lbs heavier. My chest looks hilariously pitiful in that pic.

I would get rings instead of a dip bar. A pair of rings hanging from a doorway pullup bar is a great dip station.

Rings are more portable, you can do a lot more with them, and they are cheaper.

Thanks Waldo!! I'm definitely going to see into that!

I've got another question. Reading Start Bodyweight he mentions that there's nothing specific for lower back, so he advises to do deadlifts. So... in case I don't have barbells around, how can I workout something bodyweight for my lower back?

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

- - -

DeviantArt

Thanks Waldo!! I'm definitely going to see into that!

I've got another question. Reading Start Bodyweight he mentions that there's nothing specific for lower back, so he advises to do deadlifts. So... in case I don't have barbells around, how can I workout something bodyweight for my lower back?

How about kettlebell swings? Its not gonna be the sort of "i can life a 300 lbs" type lower back strength though. I deadlift and have just started kettlebells and the kettlebells are savage.

Superman holds are great for the lower back.

Training for the back lever will give you a very strong lower back.

Some people do stuff with bridges, but I'm never seen it as a great back exercise, more of a glute exercise.

Bridges are probably good for beginners... like me!! xD but I can do them already so it's probably time to move something else.

How about kettlebell swings? Its not gonna be the sort of "i can life a 300 lbs" type lower back strength though. I deadlift and have just started kettlebells and the kettlebells are savage.

Ahh money issues I guess. If I could buy and store different kettlebells at home, I'd probably even prefer doing so with a barbell and a few weights. I did train with kettlebells and they require such a good grip XD

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

- - -

DeviantArt

I too am taking time off of heavy lifting. for a few reasons, different from yours. Right now, I am using one kettlebell, and a woss version of the TRX: http://www.amazon.com/WOSS-Military-Strap-Trainer-Brown/dp/B006V6D6I0, and a jumprope. 

the suspension trainer is great for travel, and practically fits into a makeup bag. Like Waldo said, rings are a similar alternative. 

I thought I was in pretty good shape as I put up pretty good numbers on my lifts, but 1/2 hour with the woss trainer killed me. the technique is a little hard at first, but you can do a ton of things with it. since you end up doing higher reps with no break, it is a different kind of strength than brute lifting.  

I only own one kettlebell, but again, with enough reps, it is exhausting and builds explosive power. You'll be ok however you decide to go. 

• Like 1

I realize I have an unhealthy attachment to my jump rope.

TRX opened my eyes to new levels of discomfort.

I'm trying my best with the rings really. I can do some kind of eccentric half dips with them. I think it will take a long while to actually manage to do a dip again. But I'm getting stronger on top of them, since I'm training hanging knee tucks holding myself high.

That woss thing seems even more portable than the rings actually xD but oh well.. it's done, it's done! And I like them, I just need to train again.

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

- - -

DeviantArt

I'm trying my best with the rings really. I can do some kind of eccentric half dips with them. I think it will take a long while to actually manage to do a dip again. But I'm getting stronger on top of them, since I'm training hanging knee tucks holding myself high.

That woss thing seems even more portable than the rings actually xD but oh well.. it's done, it's done! And I like them, I just need to train again.

I have an actual TRX and find myself wishing for rings, actually.  There's some important techniques (such as false grip) that just don't seem to work on the suspension trainers.  I've never come across anything on the TRX that seemed like it was particularly difficult to transfer over to rings, but there are a few things (like muscle-ups) that seem impossible on the TRX. 

Additionally, rings are supposed to be set 50cm apart.  Even if you hang them from a low bar you can still set them at the correct distance.  The TRX has that one anchor point which makes stuff like dips and pushups difficult if the straps are too short due to a low bar, as your arms rubbing on the straps is unavoidable.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

Ohh, 50 cm apart?? Had no idea about that. Need to check that next time.

I guess on the long run the rings are probably the best piece of equipment besides a pull up bar. I'm just disappointed I can't do dips anymore. Oh well.. with train comes strenght... eventually.

Nadoriel

NODDY'S GRINDING LOG

- - -

DeviantArt

One exercise you should consider is to chair dips. All they require is for you to have 2 chairs and yourself. if you want to add weight all you have to do is put some books is a sports bad and stick it on your lap while you are doing this exercise.

Also your question about gaining " strength" and keeping up your fitness level. The answer is yes you can maintain your fitness level from home. The difference is with the home workouts you are going to have to go a little bit fast and allow yourself less time to rest. 

I worked out from home for years and i must say that i was a pretty toned and strong guy( i went to the gym and my bench was around 200 lbs for my workout). I could do anything my friends that went to the gym did, only i could do it longer because i had lifted in a way that my muscles didn't wear out as fast.

I did all of this with just simple push up and pull up routines and variations, if you want to keep strong and in shape the traditional push up pull up routine works very well :nevreness:

I've been doing gym/weight workouts for a few years, and I've decided to make 2 of my 3 days primarily bodyweight for awhile, but my 3rd day is going to be deadlifts primarily and maybe bench, too. I'll do kettlebells the other days before doing my bodyweight.

I just wanted a change and didn't want to lose strength. I was worried about some of the same things in this thread, but I think that I shouldn't have too much to worry about.