Improve fitness to improve bad results from doctor's tests

Objectives:

1.  do 50 sit-ups done at least 3 times per week

2.  do 30 biceps curls with 5 pound weight done at least 3 times per week

3.  eat 3 meals and 2 healthy small snacks 5 days out of 7

Non fitness goal:

Sit up during Blackboard for Computer School each time David attends

Special motivation:

Just went to the doctor and she feels that I must get in better shape or I may become diabetic.  

Well, that's a good reason to get in shape. You can do this.

I know you are starting, but I'd encourage you to review your first 2 goals. I think if you only do situps and biceps curls, there will be a lot of muscles in your body that won't get that great of a workout...

have you checked the bodyweight beginner workout?

Anyways, just wanted to welcome you, it is great to have you at the challenge.

• Like 1

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Hey David, welcome to Nerd Fitness. Avoiding diabetes after my test results were looking kind of bad was a huge thing that got me to clean up my eating and get more active. You certainly don't have to, but a lot of people like to include some stuff in their challenge thread that introduces them to everyone so we know a bit more about you like what kind of nerdy things you're into, what movies you like, or what sorts of activities you do.

For your non-fitness goal David, what does that mean, sitting up during blackboard?

I know you are starting, but I'd encourage you to review your first 2 goals. I think if you only do situps and biceps curls, there will be a lot of muscles in your body that won't get that great of a workout...

have you checked the bodyweight beginner workout?

I happen to have some inside information (we admins are like that) that David is working with a physical therapist and the situp and curl goals are just 2 of the things he's focusing on when doing stuff on his own.

• Like 1

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Challenges: 4-Warrior, 3-Assassin, 2-Adventurer, 1-Recruit

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"

Great motivation!  I'm here as an Ambassador on behalf of the Assassins' Guild.  With the bodyweight work you're doing, maybe you might think about joining us once this challenge is done!  Even if you ultimately don't join us, we'd love to help you along on your journey, and there are a lot of people working on goals similar to yours within our black-clad ranks...

If you think you might like to check us out, I hope you'll come by the Assassins' Den chat and say hello!  We're very welcoming killers-in-black, really.       ;)  You can also check out the Assassin Guild Info & Announcements for more info about what's going on with the guild.  Pretty soon, we should also have our Assassins' Phonebook up as well, which will allow you to find people who are working on similar skills to yours.  And though we may be the bodyweight guild, we're also a guild of extreme variety - we do a bit of everything!

Additionally, if you like what you see, I encourage you to go introduce yourself on the Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread as well!  There are a lot of fun people hanging out as they consider whether to join us - and you can make new friends, ask questions of guild leadership, post awesome gifs (we wouldn't be Assassins without gif parties) and more!  I hope to see you there soon.

Regardless, I or one of my colleagues will be checking in on you from here on out, cheering you on towards success!  Now get out there and keep crushing those goals!

By the way, be careful with sit-ups as they can lead to injury if done improperly.  You may wish to consider a few other bodyweight exercises for better effect and possibly a bit more variety.  Let me know if you've got an interest - I can recommend a few!

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

David is a young man who attends high school online in a low ratio class.  I am his school Physical Therapist.  We are doing this challenge together so we can both get in better shape.  David is feeling a little isolated because serious medical concerns happening in his family have changed the family dynamics.  Since he attends school on the computer, he does not have access to the constant support of school friends.  He enjoys talking to friends and people who could become his friends.

David has several interests.  His first love is computer games, mostly Clash of the Clans, Battle Island, Boom Beach, and Crash of the Castle.  Since he is still in school, his computer game time is limited.   He also is interested in cooking, especially gluten-free cooking (although he is not medically gluten-free himself).  He enjoys bowling, Putt-Putt Golf, and lawn games like Crochet.  He is also very helpful to other members of his family, taking on a larger role in the care of his siblings and helping his mother with activities that require strength.   David participates in a supervised exercise program for one hour per week and is attempting to add 2 independent sessions per week.  He is very responsive to competitions and challenges, which is why he has joined this group. 

We hope to continue participating in challenges as they are posted although I may be a bit out of my league since I am not a game player.  I am sure that David would like to join a guild and do the whole fun experience if I can figure out how to help him through it.  Thank you to everyone who has responded to his post.  

• Like 1

Hey, ANY progress is good progress.  Even stopping by and not giving up on making changes in your life is progress!!!!!

These days, I'm only playing World of Warcraft.  I had started a lot of different games last year and just hate spending that much time in front of a computer ..... especially since I am using teaching online classes. 

So - David, give us an update when you get a chance!!

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

This is added by David's exercise buddy,  Nerd Mom Redo, to update his progress:

1.  David has moved from 20 sit-ups to 25, but he admits that he needs to exercise more often

2.  He is doing plank on elbows for 20 seconds, and side lying for 17 seconds (up from 10 sec.)

3.  He did 30 biceps curls with 5 # , up from 20.

David admits that he still needs many reminders to sit upright during Blackboard (interactive online class with his teacher).  He will continue to work on this.

David has also been working on doing the Zelda workout.  He is has done the warm-ups (caverns) and the first temple.  He has trouble with the mountain climbers and the lunges but will continue to attempt improvements.  He was comfortable with the (3) 20 second sprints.  He is enjoying teaching his workout buddy what the "Zelda" words mean.

David is also thinking about goals for the next challenge.  He wants to include a diet/food objective and well as the exercise ones.

Can try setting a scheduled phone reminder or computer reminder to just ding every 5 minutes or flash or something to remind you to focus on your posture during blackboard.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"

Written by David's exercise buddy:

David has worked on this challenge and has come up with new goals for the next one.

He is doing 30 curl-ups (up from 20), 35 biceps curls with 5 pound free weights, but has not made progress on his eating goal. 

He has been sitting with his feet on the floor during Blackboard (instead of on the desk)

David has also been doing the Zelda Workout.  He is able to do the warm-ups, Temple 1 (only 1 repetition) and Temple 2 without the final 30 second running in place. (1 repetition).  

During a one hour exercise session, he does 10 minutes on the exercise bike, the 3 levels of warmups ( Deku Tree,, Dodongo's Cavern, and Jabu Jabu's Belly) 1 rep of each part of the Forrest Temple (1), one repetition of each part of the Fire Temple (2) except the Boss Battle.

He has done a very good job during his Tuesday sessions with this buddy, but has not done enough on other days.  He will try to improve on his exercise on other days.

New Challenge goal:

1.  Do the Zelda Workout Warm-up at least 3 times per week.  (Tuesday with buddy, Thursday, and Saturday)

2.  Learn how to do all exercises in Temples 1 - 4, performing one rep of at least 3 temples with buddy

3.  Eat fewer "meals" and  healthy snacks.  Include at least 2 vegetables and 1 fruit each day.

Non fitness goal:  Sit upright during all school activities on the computer.

New Challenge goal:  Feb 25, 2015 - April

1.  Do the Zelda Workout Warm-up at least 3 times per week.  (Tuesday with buddy, Thursday, and Saturday)

2.  Learn how to do all exercises in Temples 1 - 4, performing one rep of at least 3 temples with buddy

3.  Eat fewer "meals" and  healthy snacks.  Include at least 2 vegetables and 1 fruit each day.

Non fitness goal:  Sit upright during all school activities on the computer.

David-

Other people are more likely to see and respond to your challenge if you do it in the new section for this challenge. You can pick any guild you want, but based on your goals, the adventurers may be a good fit: 

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/425-adventurers/

• Like 1

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog