Side Quest 3: The Week of 10 X 10

Cheechoe

H'ok Monks!

Time to get physical!

physical_o_GIFSoup.com_thumb%5B3%5D.gif

THIS IS THE WEEK OF 10 X 10!!

This week, I challenge you to pick an exercise that either a) you want to improve in, or b ) focuses on a part of your body which you are trying to improve, and do 10 sets of 10 reps EVERYDAY!!

OHMYGODCHEECHOETHATTAKESUPSOOOOOOMUCHTIME!!!  Hardly. You get to pick your exercise, so you can either pick a movement that takes 1 sec each, or 1 min. But the challenge is to do 10 X 10 everyday.

cxd7dqgfpswomocvsbca.gif

The idea here is focusing on basic strength, increasing range of motion (using full every time), and developing/increasing procedural memory. Therefore, it doesn't have to be a hard exercise, just something you can conveniently do throughout a regular work day or weekend for 10 X 10.

In case you need an idea, here are some suggestions for your daily exercises:

Air Squats (ATG or parallel)

Lunges (full ROM)

Slow Side Kicks (or kick of your choice)

Push-up (can be knee push-ups to get full ROM)

Pull ups (Or some modification thereof)

10 sec Standard Plank

Some Fancy Ninja Roll

Some Fancy Yoga Move

10 Sec Wall sit (legs parallel)

Jumping Jacks

1 leg Deadlift Floor Taps

10 sec handstand

Sit-ups

Mountain Climbers

Glute Bridges

Side Raises

Your choices are not limited to these, but please share if you pick some new fancy move not listed above. We want to know your ideas.

You are not also limited to the SAME MOVEMENT every day of the week. Pick a different exercise per day if you tend to get bored or if it is more convenient to switch due to your environment. (e.g: I wouldn't touch the floor where I work to do push-ups without immediately scrubbing my hands so I wouldn't likely pick that to do 10X per day. And glute bridges? ummmmmm...no.). Or pick 2 movements to be over the week and switch on Hump Day. (heh.)

The only rule is you have to do the same movement per day, and you have to do full range of motion every time.

*Also, if you pick a movement with sides (1 leg dead lifts, side raises), be sure to do 5X5 each side.

Here are a few tips to keep you on your toes throughout the day:

KEEP A TALLY OF YOUR SETS!! You WILL loose count in a 24 hour period! Make a dash on a piece of paper, put a coin in your pocket, make a note on your cell phone, etc. You can make them every hour, or sporadic. Whatever is best...just GET THE JOB DONE!!!

1loHqYi.gif

Everyday you DO NOT make your 10 X 10, you must post your absolute best gif ever here on this thread.

Good luck, Monks! Let's Go Better Ourselves!!

• Like 2

pushups.jpg

I'll take that as:

Hi, Everyone!  I'm Thrillho and I'm choosing push-ups for this week. Thanks, Everone! Bye, now! :D

</Thrillhospeak>

I can do pushups, but would a Pushup Tabata count?  I don't really count reps, but I do know my arms are freakin jelly by the time I finish.

Of course you can do Tabata if you like! But traditional Tabata is 8 sets at 20 sec with a 10 min rest (8 min total). You can change it to 10 sets of 10 on and 10 off if you want to get it over with. And you'd only have to do it once a day!

Butt....   (heh)

If you didn't notice though, I didn't give you a rest day. The idea is slow and steady and keep working the same muscles. If you were dead at the end, yes, it's a good workout, but you haven't focused on Range of Motion (ROM) or procedural memory.

I picked 10 X 10 because any one of these exercises shouldn't even make you break a sweat when you're done. BUT, your heart rate should be elevated. So, now you have elevated your heart rate 10 times in a day where you normally wouldn't have (Oooo metabolism) AND you were working on specific muscle group. The Next time you go o do Max Effort push-ups (like tabata or volume) you should find it a tad easier. 

Now, that being said, I'll never tell you to not go over the expectation. ;) If you want to go full out Tabata every day this week then GO FOR IT! If you want to alternate Tabatha and 10 X 10 that'll work too!  It's your challenge. Challenge yourself! :D

Geh. I need to perfect my pull ups, but I can't hit ten reps in a set yet. Maybe do some hanging grip work?

Oooo! Machete had an awesome exercise a couple of challenges ago called Gi Pull-ups! I had to look this up because I was confused. Then I HAD to try it!

Looks like this:

Now, I would NEVER tell you to do this 10 X 10 everyday for 7 days! This is super badass advanced.  BUT...if you are working on pull-up grip, or even Deadlift grip, I recommend Gi hangs.

I tried this at my gym and it is MOTHER EFFING HARD!! I just wanted to hang like a negative pull-ups and couldn't even do that! THE THING SWAYS WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO HOLD ON!

I held on for like a record of 15 seconds and I was so white knuckled during it that my hand cramped up. It feels like you are holding your entire weight in your hands (as opposed to shoulders and lats for pull-ups).

So Kish. If you have a bar somewhere and a towel (hand towel recommended; a long towel will have your grip too wide) I suggest 10 second Gi Hangs. Because awesome. <3

I see there is a 10 sec plank there. I have problems with planks. I think I know what I'll be doing.

This should be me at the end:

97c6dd21691ab097ac1c650ff100470c.jpg

(at the 10 sec plank)

Nice! Remember, if you are somewhere where you don't really want to touch the ground and a hand washing station isn't near (work, etc) feel free to modify to counter planks (planks on a low counter or other similar surface that can hold weight) every now and then. Just be sure your hips are tucked and you feel it in your core. :D

• Like 1

Well, I missed the thread yesterday, since I didn't get to visit the forums, so...

giphy.gif

For today I'm going to do 10 Three Star blocks (Sarm Seng) with full dynamic tension, so they'll be slow and strong. This will be 5x5 to cover both arms.

I'd post a gif, but I don't know how

Allow me to be helpful (although I did like the joke...)

To post a GIF:

a) find the gif you want and copy the link

B) use the image poster in the toolbar

c) paste in the link

And your gif should appear! :D

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

did not see this till today so here is my gif for yesterday:

4pqnttj_zps8unnakno.gif

after such a shitty week last week and a bang up of a start to this one so far I have the felling I should find some more gifs to have ready.....

• Like 1

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

Of course you can do Tabata if you like! But traditional Tabata is 8 sets at 20 sec with a 10 min rest (8 min total). You can change it to 10 sets of 10 on and 10 off if you want to get it over with. And you'd only have to do it once a day!

Oooo! Machete had an awesome exercise a couple of challenges ago called Gi Pull-ups! I had to look this up because I was confused. Then I HAD to try it!

Looks like this:

I'll probably stick with a Tabata most of the time.  I usually don't have a chance to do a ton of anything while at work except surf NF while I'm on the phone with some nincumpoop from BFE.  

Yes!  I've tried Towel Pull-Ups before, which are basically the same thing.  I think I did 2 before I gave up.  They are HARD!!

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Looks like this:

Now, I would NEVER tell you to do this 10 X 10 everyday for 7 days! This is super badass advanced.  BUT...if you are working on pull-up grip, or even Deadlift grip, I recommend Gi hangs.

I tried this at my gym and it is MOTHER EFFING HARD!! I just wanted to hang like a negative pull-ups and couldn't even do that! THE THING SWAYS WHEN YOU ARE TRYING TO HOLD ON!

I held on for like a record of 15 seconds and I was so white knuckled during it that my hand cramped up. It feels like you are holding your entire weight in your hands (as opposed to shoulders and lats for pull-ups).

So Kish. If you have a bar somewhere and a towel (hand towel recommended; a long towel will have your grip too wide) I suggest 10 second Gi Hangs. Because awesome. <3

Hm, that does look a lot harder, and I have a gi I can use for that. All right. Did 2x10x10 so far this week for hanging grip work. Starting tomorrow, I'll throw the gi over the bar and attempt the same again.

• Like 1

Well, I missed the thread yesterday, since I didn't get to visit the forums, so...

giphy.gif

For today I'm going to do 10 Three Star blocks (Sarm Seng) with full dynamic tension, so they'll be slow and strong. This will be 5x5 to cover both arms.

OOOOOO!!!! Nice gif!! :D

And good idea with the block series! :)

Gah, 10x10 each day. That is crazy. If I survive I know it will help but that nearly makes my head spin.

hahaha. I've been cursed several times already.

It's really mostly mental. You think of all ten at once and you'll feel exhausted. Just do 10. Just 10. Next set you'll be refreshed and you'll only have to do 10.

You can do eeeet!!! :D

So, question! I started the planks for today, and started with elbow planks. My elbows are way more beat up from this morning's jiu jitsu than I'd realized, and they hurt. Can I finish out my planks with a arm full extension, or does it have to be the type of plank I started with?

Absolutely! Don't damage any body part if at all possible. The focus of a plank is core. Keep your hips tucked in and you legs straight and you'll get the same benefit as elbow planks. :)

So much hate...

I did 10x10 push-ups over the course of my day.  Of course, I didn't pay attention to the mini-challenge yesterday, so here's my loving rendition of my attitude towards Cheechoe for the entire day.

hate_c_170410.jpg

So. Much. LOVE!!!!

tumblr_inline_ng3558rwxc1t3yhuc.gif

lovelovelovelovelovelove

xD

10x10 3-star blocks: complete!

Today, moving on to cross-step side kick. I need more of those anyway. I did 5 sets before I left the house this morning, since this one would probably be a bit conspicuous in an office setting... I'll do the other five sets after work, either before, during, or after kung fu class this evening!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

I'm going to stretch the rules.  Today I will begin task X ten times.  To train myself to do task X rather than avoid it.

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

10x10 :10 planks, done. 

Note to self: my office floor is not comfortable for planks. Good to know.

Love this <3

10x10 Jumping Jacks done between lifts today. Here's hoping that my legs don't cramp up during the jumping jacks in warmup tonight like they did last week....

Ooooo, between lifts! Good idea! :D

giphy.gif

• Like 1