I'm trying to stick to 25-30 minutes per day of fitness on a 3-day rotation : 

1. weigth trainning : either bodyweight or kettlebell Simple and sinister routine with kettlebell
  2. interval running : 5 minutes warm-up, 6 times 30 seconds sprint + 2 minutes normal pace, 5 minutes running. Simple and sinister routine with kettlebell
  3. mobility & stretching

I'll keep my log here and may update in the future with my goals. [edit: Goal is to be able to complete the s&s routine with at least the 24kg KB and why not with the 32kg KB.]

New Recruit | Level: 0 | BattleLog | Fitocracy

Long term goal : achieving the "simple" (32kg kettlebell) goal from Simple & Sinister. Started at 9kg, finished the 12kg, currently working on the 20kg, 4 KB size to go! 

30%
30%

Saturday 17/01/2015

Kettlebell training (9kg)

• 20 2-arm swings
  • 4 times (5 clean & press left arm + 5 clean & press right arm) 
  • 10 one-arm swing left
  • 10 one-arm swing right 
  • 20 swings i don't know the name of (swing down between the leg, change hand in the back, go around the leg and swing it upward in the palm of your oposite hand, shoulder level)

Sunday 18/01/2015

Running : 23 minutes, 3.9km

• 5 minutes run 
  • 6 times (30 seconds sprint, 2 minutes normal running)
  • 5 minutes run

Monday 19/01/2015

rest day - light streching

Tuesday 20/01/2015

based on the bgginer bodyweight circuit 

• 20 squats
  • 10 push-ups
  • 20 walking lunges
  • 10 dumbbell rows per arm (9kg kettlebell)
  • 60 seconds plank
  • 30 jumping jacks
  • 10 squats
  • 5 push-ups
  • 10 walking lunges
  • 5 dumbell rows per arm
  • 30 seconds plank
  • ... and forgot to do the last jumping jacks ...

Long term goal : achieving the "simple" (32kg kettlebell) goal from Simple & Sinister. Started at 9kg, finished the 12kg, currently working on the 20kg, 4 KB size to go! 

30%
30%

Wednesday 21/01/2015

Running : 21 minutes, 3.6km, average pace 5:46 min/km

• 5 minutes run 
  • 6 times (30 seconds sprint, 2 minutes normal running)
  • 5 minutes run

Today was the first day I ran just after waking-up. Really nice to run in the city at this time but performance was not great, plus it was -3°C here so a bit chilly. Had difficulty to maintain pace for the last two sprints. 

30%
30%

Thursday 22/01/2015

rest day - mobility drills : massage lower body using rolling on tennis balls. Today was more painful than usual due to the previous days workouts. 

Friday 23/01/2015

Kettlebell : Today I started with the routine from "Kettlebell - Simple & sinister" by Pavel Tsatsouline. I am thinking of doing only one interval run during the week-end instead of one every three days. I'd replace the runs from the week for the s&s routine during the week. 

Here is today's session (9kg kettlebell) : 

• Warm up : 3 times (5 goblet squats, 5 hip bridges, 5 haloes)
  • 10x10 one arm swings (so a total of 50 for each arm) : performed in 9 minutes
  • 2 turkish get-ups per arm (I should have done 5 per arm in total but was already late for work ...) performed in 10 minutes. 

I really need to practice more the turkish get-up. It was my first day doing it and technique is really lacking for now. 

30%
30%

I haven't looked at Pavel's most recent instructions on the TGU, what about your technique is bugging you?

I think for now my arm and shoulder are not strong enough so I find difficult to maintain good stability during the get up. I am also not used to the part where you slide your leg below yourself.

I've looked at few videos and think it will be better with the next work-outs. Any advice other than to keep practising?

30%
30%

The TGU is an extremely complex movement so it's difficult to say anything with the info I have. I'm somewhat reduced to platitudes, the TGU isn't about weight or speed, it's about doing it right. When I taught it to someone yesterday we used an 8 lb weight for the first couple runs. I didn't see how much you are using in you post but it should be half or even less than your press weight. I personally had some success working the bottom half of the TGU primarily, from the ground to the reversed, three point plank position and back.

If you're up for shooting a cell phone video of yourself and sharing it I could probably be of more help.

You can't spell Slaughter without laughter

The TGU is an extremely complex movement so it's difficult to say anything with the info I have. I'm somewhat reduced to platitudes, the TGU isn't about weight or speed, it's about doing it right. When I taught it to someone yesterday we used an 8 lb weight for the first couple runs. I didn't see how much you are using in you post but it should be half or even less than your press weight. I personally had some success working the bottom half of the TGU primarily, from the ground to the reversed, three point plank position and back.

If you're up for shooting a cell phone video of yourself and sharing it I could probably be of more help.

It is indeed complex so for now, I am focusing on practicing with the best form possible and trying to master the movement. I am practising with a 9kg kettlebell which is the only one I have for now. I hope to be able to upgrade to a 12kg for the swing (not the TGU) in the upcoming weeks. 

I've looked at the video in your signature, that VERY impressive!

Now for the training log : 

Saturday 24/01/2015

• 10x10 one arm swings (so a total of 50 for each arm) : performed in 7:50 minutes
  • 5 turkish get-ups per arm. Forgot to time it...

Sunday 25/01/2015

Rest day : one hour long family brisk walk in the woods. 

Monday 26/01/2015

• 10x10 one arm swings (so a total of 50 for each arm) : performed in 6:13 minutes
  • 5 turkish get-ups per arm. Performed in 8:47. 

Today was great ! Since it's only the beginning with the TGU, I am seeing great progress between each sessions which is always a good start for the day. 

30%
30%

Tuesday 27/01/2015

Rest day : not had time to do anything... 

Wednesday 28/01/2015

• 10x10 one arm swings (so a total of 50 for each arm) : performed in 5:10 minutes
  • 5 turkish get-ups per arm. Performed in 8:10. 

Thursday 29/01/2015

• 10x10 one arm swings (so a total of 50 for each arm) : performed in 4:55 minutes - The target before increasing kettlebell size is 5 minutes!
  • 5 turkish get-ups per arm. Performed in 7:30.

It will soon be time to switch to a heavier kettlebell (12kg) for the swings. That's great for the motivation. Still a lot of room for progression but definitly a step in the right direction. It's still to early in my opinion to upgrade for the TGU since I don't feel I have enough strength to in the upper body yet. 

30%
30%

Not very happy. I think I slept in a bad position and have pain in my left shoulder and reduced range of movement in the neck. Plus the heater of the building broke Thursday evening and a new one will be in place only tomorrow. 

I tried to reduce training and hope the shoulder will be back in order soon. 

Friday 30/01/2015

Rest day : massages for the shoulder 

Saturday 31/01/2015

Rest day : long family walk, massages for the shoulder 

Sunday 1/02/2015

• 10x10 one arm swings (so a total of 50 for each arm) : performed in 4:50 minutes
  • 5 turkish get-ups per arm. Performed in 8:55. 

Monday 2/02/2015

Rest day. Nothing done this morning. I'll try to do massages for the shoulder this evening. 

30%
30%

Thanks The Most Loathed. Yeah indeed. I've noticed that I have not a very good position while holding my little girl (left shoulder sticks out in order to maintain her head with my arm) which may slow the recovery. I will try to be more aware of it from now on. 

Tuesday 3/02/2015

Rest day : took care of baby girl

Wednesday 4/02/2015

• Warm up : 2 times (5 goblet squats, 5 hip bridges, 5 haloes) (was short on time, had early work appointment)
  • 10x10 one arm swings (so a total of 50 for each arm) : performed in 4:50 minutes

I now really need to invest in a new kettlebell to keep progressing in strength. Good feeling

30%
30%

Hey,glad I found you.I'm doing Simple and Sinister too. I find it helpful to do a couple TGU's without weight and just using a shoe, to practice my form.  But, you are doing pretty well if you can do all 5 reps in 8 minutes. Does sound like you are ready to move up. Until you get a heavier KB, you could do some TGU's where once  you are to standing, you carry the bell overhead, and then finish the rest of the TGU.Those are great for teaching stability.

I had done S&S off and on for a bit, but this time I went to stick with it a bit and see if I can actually reach the simple goals.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Hey,glad I found you.I'm doing Simple and Sinister too. I find it helpful to do a couple TGU's without weight and just using a shoe, to practice my form.  But, you are doing pretty well if you can do all 5 reps in 8 minutes. Does sound like you are ready to move up. Until you get a heavier KB, you could do some TGU's where once  you are to standing, you carry the bell overhead, and then finish the rest of the TGU.Those are great for teaching stability.

I had done S&S off and on for a bit, but this time I went to stick with it a bit and see if I can actually reach the simple goals.

I'm curious at what you mean by carry the bell overhead. Would you have a video or a link so that I can understand the movement ? 

I've switched on and off of mainly 3 programs that I like : naked warrior, convict conditioning and now simple and sinister. I'd like to stick with s&s until the 16kg kettlebell (2 size increase) and why not until the simple goal (32 kg) but right now it seems so far off and so freaking strong that it does not seem real  :rolleyes-new:

Thursday 5/02/2015

Forced rest day since my shoulder is still hurting a bit and I don't want to damage it more. 

30%
30%

Hope your shoulder feels better soon. For a woman the simple goal for TGU's is 16kg. Right now I'm working on 13.6Kg (30lb) so for the first time for me it seems like that is in reach. The swing I'm still working on two handed with 44lb (19.9 Kg) and for the simple goal I need to be at 25 kg. I'm not sure if that is one or two kettlebells away. But the 44lb still feels super heavy to me.

Here is the video link to the TGU with overhead walk. Be warned:It is evil

• Like 1

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Thanks for the video. I added this to today's workout and it's challenging indeed. I went to a shop to buy the 12kg KB but it was not available...

Friday 5/02/2015

• 12x10 one arm swings (so a total of 50 for each arm) : performed in 4:50 minutes, almost no rest between sets (~10 seconds)
  • 5 turkish get-ups per arm including 3 with overhead walk. Performed in 9:50. 
  • Like 1

30%
30%

Saturday 7/02/2015

Long family walk (~16 km). Put baby girl in the sling and went across the forest to a restaurant near small lakes to enjoy the sun and some fresh air. Felt really good since it was the first long walk we did since the birth of our daughter. 

Sunday 8/02/2015

• 12x10 one arm swings (so a total of 60 for each arm) : performed in 3:30 minutes, no rest between sets (snatch the kettlebell in air to change arm)
  • 5 turkish get-ups per arm including 4 with overhead walk. Performed in 9:40. 

Monday 9/02/2015

• 12x10 one arm swings (so a total of 60 for each arm) : performed in 3:30 minutes, no rest between sets

Very glad for the week-end : family time, fresh air, fitness, some cooking. 

I usually do my routine before breakfast, just after getting out of bed. Sunday was during the afternoon, amazing how easier it is... 

30%
30%

Hey thanks, 

The baby girl is still very small so not a lot of load for now, but a good way to train progressive overload ;-)

Tuesday 10/02/2015

Rest day : stretching and "foam" rolling (I don't have a foam roller so I use a glass bottle, it's pretty efficient too if you ask me). 

Also I went to buy the 12kg kettlebell today. The Most Loathed, the comment in your thread motivated me for the new signature ! 

30%
30%

from wikipedia for Milo of Croton

He was said to have achieved the feat of lifting the bull by starting in childhood, lifting and carrying a newborn calf and repeating the feat daily as it grew to maturity.

The legend of Milo was huge in the strength training circles I used to travel in.

The progress bar is very easy to do. Just head to your profile, edit your signature : there is a small bar icon on which you can clik and then you just need to enter your number and a color and it will do the code automatically for you. 

Wednesday 11/02/2015

Here is today's session (9kg and 12kg kettlebell) : 

• Warm up : 3 times (5 goblet squats, 5 hip bridges, 5 haloes) with the 9kg
  • sets of 10 one-arm swings (5 left + 5 right) : 12kg/12kg/rest/9kg/9kg/rest/9kg in 3:50
  • 5 turkish get-ups per arm :12/12/9/9/9. Performed in 9:40. 

Really nice to start a new weight. I am also trying to perfect my form for exercises and found this great link for the TGU : http://www.begin2dig.com/2008/08/refined-hardstyle-turkish-getup.html. I'm still having difficulties with not caving in the bend knee and not lifting the extended leg during the first movements of the TGU. Looking forward to the next session. 

30%
30%

I'm glad to see the weight improvement. 

I sometimes struggle with the off foot lifting. For me, it means that I'm trying to do a situp more than rolling up through the hip. 

Definitely work on that knee wobble, I would prioritize that higher than the foot lift. Do you do any lunges currently?

Thanks for help with the progress bar. The link for the TGU is great. I like the picture of each progression. I collapse my knee a bunch.Worked on that today. I also lift my off foot. Tomorrow I will practice rolling from my hip and see if that helps.