TMac's Quest for Body Confidence

tmac

Introduction:

I'm a 43-year-old business owner, married with 3 kids. My husband and I work together, both at home. It is a little too easy to sink into the living room couch in the morning with my laptop and just stay there. All day. Until after dinner when I move over to the couch in the TV room. We tend to eat mostly unprocessed food, as long as we avoid eating out, but I definitely tend toward too many calories.

After years of trying to figure out what the hell is going on with my body, I've finally been diagnosed with PCOS, a condition which has all sorts of unpleasant symptoms, including difficulty losing weight and other things that lead to a really poor body image, not to mention heightened risk of fun things like diabetes, strokes, and heart disease. But, now that I know what it is, I can go about fixing it. Medical recommendations include daily exercise and a consistent low-carb eating plan (50-60g carbs/day, which in practice eliminates grains and reduces legumes).

I also have a chronically bad back (frequent spasms and yearly blow-outs) and related sciatica symptoms (leg cramps and numbness). Movement and yoga seem to help, and weight loss should remove some of the pressure.

I started my current attempt at fitness on December 28 at 241 lbs. I'm now weighing in at 232.  I'm 5'10", and the charts say that the upper limit for a healthy weight is 170, so that's my goal. I've been following the below plans for two weeks now. I feel great and look forward to the workouts each day, so I think they're working for me. 

Eating Plan:

6 days = 50-60g carbs, up to 1500 calories

7th day = 2 meals on-plan (>20g carb, up to 400 cal); 1 "free" meal

Workout Plan:

Monday: Yoga + Beginner's Bodyweight

Tuesday: Yoga + Cardio Intervals (swimming)

Wednesday: Yoga + Beginner's Bodyweight

Thursday: Yoga + Cardio Intervals (rowing)

Friday: Yoga + Beginner's Bodyweight

Saturday: Yoga + Cardio Steady-State (walk/jog, 5K, increasing speed as I'm able)

Sunday: Yoga + Lazy Swim with Kids

------------------------------------------

Main Quest: Lose 61 lbs by New Year's Eve 2015.

Quest 1: Form a habit of my 95% low-carb eating plan (50-60g/day).

A = 95%. B = 85%. C = 75%.

Quest 2: Form a habit of goal-oriented exercise 6 days a week.

A = 6 days/wk. B = 5 days/wk. C = 4 days/wk.

Quest 3: Improve flexibility by completing the 30-day yoga challenge at DoYouYoga.com.

A = Complete all 30 days. B = Complete 25 days. C = Complete 20 days.

All 3 Quests will be tracked daily in the MyFitnessPal app.

Life Quest: My biggest stressor right now is the size of my business to-do list, catching up with our finances. The current task list is 44 items long. My life quest is to be completely caught up on the last day of the challenge.

A = 0 tasks on list. B = 2 tasks on list. C = 4 tasks on list.

Motivation: I want to improve my body confidence by getting rid of the PCOS symptoms and the chronic pain. I want to Level Up, dammit!

• Like 3

Level 2 -- Druid

STR 1 | STA 2 | DEX 3 | CON 4 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Main Quest: Lose 70 lbs in 2015. 15 down, 55 to go.

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

Today's workout was swimming intervals. I alternated lengths, fast freestyle and slow whatever-will-help-me-recover best, with breaks as needed. I count laps by giving them a letter of the alphabet, then occupy my brain by trying to come up with words that start with that letter, all on the same theme. Today, the theme was "clothes." A-line dress, Brassiere, Chuck Taylors, Dirndl skirt, Edwardian dress (I was at a loss here), Frock, Girdle, Hi-tops. I got to H before my form totally broke down. My goal is to get to Z in one session.

In other good news, I didn't feel too self-conscious in my bathing suit, and the guy in the next lane talked to me like I was a "real swimmer" about the intervals. It reminded me of one of my favorite running experiences. I was on a multi-use path, approaching a gaggle of high school cross-country runners. One of the guys yelled, "Runner coming through!" and they moved over to let me pass. Me? A runner? Yay!

Next up today, I'll do the 30-day yoga challenge, day 4, which is abs focused. Hopefully it'll be easy on the arms, which are pretty wobbly at this point.

So far so good on the eating plan. I'm proud of my dinner solution. I'd love some chicken parm, but don't want the breading or the pasta. I'll bake chicken breasts in tomato sauce with mixed-in shredded zucchini, topped with mozzarella cheese. I'll eat that with some steamed broccoli and cauliflower, with a big green salad on the side. I'll make some whole wheat penne for the others.

Edited to add: I forgot to update on my Life Quest. I spent 3 hours on business finances today, and completed a grand total of 3 tasks. 41 to go.

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

Great job yesterday!  Hope the yoga went well. ^_^

I'm here as an Ambassador on behalf of the Assassins' Guild.  With the bodyweight work and yoga you're doing, maybe you might think about joining us once this challenge is done!  Even if you ultimately don't join us, we'd love to help you along on your journey, and there are a lot of people working on goals similar to yours within our black-clad ranks...

If you think you might like to check us out, I hope you'll come by the Assassins' Den chat and say hello!  We're very welcoming killers-in-black, really.      ;)  You can also check out the Assassin Guild Info & Announcements for more info about what's going on with the guild.  Pretty soon, we should also have our Assassins' Phonebook up as well, which will allow you to find people who are working on similar skills to yours.  And though we may be the bodyweight guild, we're also a guild of extreme variety - we do a bit of everything!

Additionally, if you like what you see, I encourage you to go introduce yourself on the Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread as well!  There are a lot of fun people hanging out as they consider whether to join us - and you can make new friends, ask questions of guild leadership, post awesome gifs (we wouldn't be Assassins without gif parties) and more!  I hope to see you there soon.

Regardless, I or one of my colleagues will be checking in on you from here on out, cheering you on towards success!  Now get out there and keep crushing those goals!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Thanks for the welcome, TMedina and Starsapart!

I love it when a plan comes together. Yesterday, I did yoga and bodyweight exercises, and can definitely feel it in my muscles today. I ate 46g of carbs and 1261 calories. My plan allows for up to 1500, but I wasn't hungry enough to eat more. I played bass drum at band rehearsal last night, and could feel that my arms and back were stronger. And on the way home, my husband said he was considering working out with me, or on his own. No pressure. :)

Today I'll head to the Y at lunch and do some rowing intervals, then do yoga after work while dinner is cooking. We're having Indian food, which I'll have without the rice.

The weather report shows snow for Saturday, which is steady-state run day. Should be interesting. It doesn't look like the town plows or salts the multi-use path, so if it's too deep or icy, I may need to shift to the treadmill. Boo.

One of my weight-loss metrics is pants size. Last night, I wore a pair of pants I haven't worn in a year because they were one size too small. To make it even better, they were purple corduroys! Stylin'! ;)

• Like 1

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

Thanks, Starsapart! My husband commented that all I needed was a green shirt and I'd look like She-Hulk. When I gave him a funny look, he said, "No! I mean in a good way! She's hot!" LOL!

Bumped my steady-state run up to this afternoon, so that's done. I have yoga left to do today.Tonight is my "free" dinner, so we're having homemade pizza. I'll still be within my calorie budget, but will exceed my carbs. S'alright. That's the "free" part. :)

• Like 1

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

I'm doing well on most of my challenges.

Eating Plan: Met all days so far. Not too difficult. I'm on a 29-day streak with logging my food in MyFitnessPal.

Exercise Plan: Met all days so far. Had to swap a couple of days around due to weather, but all was completed. Enjoying it!

Flexibility Plan: I've had to double-up on the yoga a couple of days, but I'm caught up, so I think I'm good.

I've been thinking about motivators. Remembering how excited I was to be able to wear the smaller pants from the back of my closet, I went to the Goodwill this afternoon and picked up a pair of jeans the next size down. They're now in the front of my closet where I can see them every morning and evening. Once those fit, I'll get a pair a size smaller than that, and so on.

In addition, I have plan a couple of new weight-goal and activity-supporting rewards:

-20 lbs = Registration for a huge local 5K that I've always wanted to run, that I hope to make a yearly tradition.

-40 lbs = New running shoes

-60 lbs = New athletic swimsuit

-71 lbs = New bike!

Weigh-in is Tuesday.

Life Quest: Epic fail so far. I've finished 3 tasks, and that's it. I'm getting demotivated because the list is getting longer and my other work is pressing. I've drawn a line at the bottom of the original list. I need to keep up with new tasks as well, but for the purposes of this quest, I need to finish just the original list. Tomorrow is a new day, and there's an appointment on my calendar to work on finances for two hours.

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

Week 3 Mini!

Summary & Points Allocation:

Quest 1: Form a habit of my 95% low-carb eating plan (50-60g/day).

A = 95%. B = 85%. C = 75%.

95% = A = 3 CON pts.

Quest 2: Form a habit of goal-oriented exercise 6 days a week.

A = 6 days/wk. B = 5 days/wk. C = 4 days/wk.

6 days/wk = A = 3 pts (2 STA, 1 STR)

Quest 3: Improve flexibility by completing the 30-day yoga challenge at DoYouYoga.com.

A = Complete all 30 days. B = Complete 25 days. C = Complete 20 days.

All days complete, but twice had to double-up = B = 3 pts DEX

All 3 Quests will be tracked daily in the MyFitnessPal app.

Life Quest: My biggest stressor right now is the size of my business to-do list, catching up with our finances. The current task list is 44 items long. My life quest is to be completely caught up on the last day of the challenge.

A = 0 tasks on list. B = 2 tasks on list. C = 4 tasks on list.

Falling behind; not enough effort given = C = 0 WIS pts.

Total points awarded = 9 of 10

New signature: STR 1 | STA 2 | DEX 3 | CON 3 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

Great job yesterday!  Hope the yoga went well. ^_^

I'm here as an Ambassador on behalf of the Assassins' Guild.  With the bodyweight work and yoga you're doing, maybe you might think about joining us once this challenge is done!  Even if you ultimately don't join us, we'd love to help you along on your journey, and there are a lot of people working on goals similar to yours within our black-clad ranks...

If you think you might like to check us out, I hope you'll come by the Assassins' Den chat and say hello!  We're very welcoming killers-in-black, really.      ;)  You can also check out the Assassin Guild Info & Announcements for more info about what's going on with the guild.  Pretty soon, we should also have our Assassins' Phonebook up as well, which will allow you to find people who are working on similar skills to yours.  And though we may be the bodyweight guild, we're also a guild of extreme variety - we do a bit of everything!

Additionally, if you like what you see, I encourage you to go introduce yourself on the Level 1 Assassin Initiates Q&A/Chat thread as well!  There are a lot of fun people hanging out as they consider whether to join us - and you can make new friends, ask questions of guild leadership, post awesome gifs (we wouldn't be Assassins without gif parties) and more!  I hope to see you there soon.

Regardless, I or one of my colleagues will be checking in on you from here on out, cheering you on towards success!  Now get out there and keep crushing those goals!

Too late, she's a druid :P (jk, but I hope she ends up with us, or at least a hybrid, bc well hybrid Druid Assassins are awesome :D

• Like 2

Druid Assassin Halfling

:) Druid Ambassador :)

Level 16, Current Quest: Bekah Returns

Spoiler

Your life does not get better by chance. It gets better by change.

- Jim Rohn

Ok see...I make the worst ambassador ever...bc I have totally kept up with other threads you are on, but missed your challenge thread entirely...sheesh! 

Today's workout was swimming intervals. I alternated lengths, fast freestyle and slow whatever-will-help-me-recover best, with breaks as needed. I count laps by giving them a letter of the alphabet, then occupy my brain by trying to come up with words that start with that letter, all on the same theme. Today, the theme was "clothes." A-line dress, Brassiere, Chuck Taylors, Dirndl skirt, Edwardian dress (I was at a loss here), Frock, Girdle, Hi-tops. I got to H before my form totally broke down. My goal is to get to Z in one session.

In other good news, I didn't feel too self-conscious in my bathing suit, and the guy in the next lane talked to me like I was a "real swimmer" about the intervals. It reminded me of one of my favorite running experiences. I was on a multi-use path, approaching a gaggle of high school cross-country runners. One of the guys yelled, "Runner coming through!" and they moved over to let me pass. Me? A runner? Yay!

Next up today, I'll do the 30-day yoga challenge, day 4, which is abs focused. Hopefully it'll be easy on the arms, which are pretty wobbly at this point.

So far so good on the eating plan. I'm proud of my dinner solution. I'd love some chicken parm, but don't want the breading or the pasta. I'll bake chicken breasts in tomato sauce with mixed-in shredded zucchini, topped with mozzarella cheese. I'll eat that with some steamed broccoli and cauliflower, with a big green salad on the side. I'll make some whole wheat penne for the others.

Edited to add: I forgot to update on my Life Quest. I spent 3 hours on business finances today, and completed a grand total of 3 tasks. 41 to go.

Re: Low Carb Chicken Parm...have you found a way that you love it? I make this for J all the time (he is super low carb-- <20g/day) and I just season chicken breasts (salt, pepper, italian seasonings---mostly oregano bc he loves it) and bake it until they are done (325 for 30ish minutes usually) and make a homemade tomato sauce and throw it on top and put mozz/parm/some kind of italian cheese blend on top and broil it for a few and he eats that with a salad as his "chicken parm" and then when I am SUPER motivated (read: every six months at best) I bread it with seasoned almond flour and egg/milk wash and it only adds like 1g of carbs if that, and if you bake it on a broiler pan or rack inside the dish, it browns nice and isnt all soggy like if you left it in the bottom of the dish, so you could probably do that easy since your carbs are a lot higher than his are. 

Linda's Low Carb and All Day I Dream about Food are my two favorite recipe sites for low carb recipes (LLC uses a lot of splenda in her stuff, but I always sub out either Truvia or Swerve and it works out fine) and the ADIDAF lady, makes shit like low carb salted caramel mini brownies...I was like DUDE SERIOUSLY :D :D :D

and I love your lap swimming idea with the letters...so smart :D How's the business to-do list going? and YAY on the weight loss :D :D :D 

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Too late, she's a druid :tongue: (jk, but I hope she ends up with us, or at least a hybrid, bc well hybrid Druid Assassins are awesome :D

Hahahaha! :D

I'm happy to support her whichever way she goes - she's doing pretty awesome!  Frankly, I have some Druid to me, too..... ;)

Keep up the awesome work, tmac!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Bekah, thanks for the links and chicken parm ideas! The way you make it sounds very similar to how I do it. Then I put it on top of a pile of veggies. Pretty tasty, but I think I'll try the almond flour thing to give it a boost. I've heard you can also do it with ground flax, so I'll look into that.

My business to-do's are dragging. I've spent the morning putting out work fires, but now I have coffee and Excedrin (headache), and I'm determined to get at least one thing done. The most important thing: Figuring out if our employees have earned quarterly bonuses! Hate to leave them hanging on that! So not cool!

Starsapart, thanks for the encouragement! I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. I did a whole full push-up yesterday. Whoo-hoo! :)

I'm stalking all the Guilds, and am finding so much to like in all of them. Is it weird to rotate through them, and choose my 6-week quests based on the focus of each? It might be a good way to become more well-rounded. Well, LESS well-rounded weight-wise, but more well-rounded fitness-wise. That could keep me busy for quite a while! :)

• Like 2

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

Starsapart, thanks for the encouragement! I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. I did a whole full push-up yesterday. Whoo-hoo!  :)

I'm stalking all the Guilds, and am finding so much to like in all of them. Is it weird to rotate through them, and choose my 6-week quests based on the focus of each? It might be a good way to become more well-rounded. Well, LESS well-rounded weight-wise, but more well-rounded fitness-wise. That could keep me busy for quite a while!  :)

Not weird at all!  A lot of people guild-hop every challenge, depending on the focus of their quests.  You would be in great company. ^_^  And every guild has its own awesome points, so I'm sure you would be welcomed anywhere you went!

• Like 2

🎪current challenge🎪

instagram | goodreads

Not weird at all!  A lot of people guild-hop every challenge, depending on the focus of their quests.  You would be in great company. ^_^  And every guild has its own awesome points, so I'm sure you would be welcomed anywhere you went!

Yup :) 

Druid Assassin Halfling

Spoiler

- Jim Rohn

Excellent! So here's a rough outline of what that might look like.

[This is just thinking -- not committing. I'm talking to myself because I have a tendency to get in too deep, and then feel bad when I change my mind. So, just thinking out loud.]

1 (Now) = Recruit: Develop steady eating and exercise habits.

2 = Druid: Increase yoga proficiency/difficulty.

3 = Adventurers: Bike to all the places!

4 = Ranger: Plan, train for, and execute a hiking trip.

5 = Scouts: Aim for PR at local race.

6 = Monk: Develop daily meditation practice; attend Tai Chi classes; maybe I can find an "intro to" martial arts class, just a few sessions to start.

7 = Assassins: Sign up for couple of basic ballroom dancing lessons with DH; attend weekly Zumba classes.

8 = Warrior: Get comfortable in the free weight room; register for the beginner's strength class.

9 = [Either choose a long-term guild or start the cycle again.]

That actually sounds like a super fun year! Changing the focus every 6 weeks would really work with my short attention span. Something to think about, anyway.

Today's report: All is well in food and exercise. I'm meeting with my business partner (e.g. husband) tomorrow to figure out how to address this business finances quicksand. I'm hoping we have some brilliant ideas.

• Like 1

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

Rowing intervals done. Jelly arms and legs. Will do yoga after dinner.

Getting take-out tonight. Have already scouted the menu and have chosen the meal that will fit with my calories and macros. Saving up my weekly "free" meal for the SuperBowl.

Most importantly, we had our how-to-get-these-damn-finances-knocked-out meeting over lunch. 

1) Get space heater so desk in basement is more comfortable to work at for a long period of time. It's freezing and it keeps me from working in the space that's most efficiently set up for these sorts of tasks. - Done. Also consider fancying the place up a bit. It's a bit dungeon-like at the moment.

2) Schedule block of time every day to work on it, exclusive of anything else, and authorize husband to nudge me if it looks like I'm floundering. - Done. About to start my block.

3) Remember the reward: More money for us; less work for me. Once I'm caught up, I can switch payroll providers, which will take that particular task off my desk permanently. - Done. Printed out a reminder to tape to the wall over my desk.

Ok. Starting.... now.

Edited to add: I worked for three straight hours! Still only got through 5 tasks, but they were biggees. I'm feeling pretty successful right now, and can't wait for Sunday when I'll have another block of time I can devote to it.

• Like 1

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

Good day today. I did yoga this morning and then ditched my bodyweight exercises for some snow shoveling and a snowy hike. My aching arms and legs say that it was a good trade.

I'm trying a refinement to my eating plan. I'm going to try to increase my colorful/green veg and fruit intake by always eat one fruit at breakfast, one with lunch and at least one, if not two, with dinner. So far, so good.

Breakfast: DH made me a couple of eggs, which I ate with some strawberries and very strong coffee.

Lunch: Beef & veggie chili, and baked apples with cinnamon and toasted nuts for dessert. (Victory: My parents were over for lunch, so I fed my dad and the kids apple cobbler, but then made the baked apples for me and Mom, who is also eating low-carb.)

Dinner: Almond and flax crusted chicken, broccoli, and green salad. (Victory: DH wasn't here for dinner, so I was tempted to make something junky and easy, but I cooked for reals instead.)

Looking forward to tomorrow: Steady-state run in the morning, help my son research colleges in the afternoon, then the SuperBowl. "Game? What game? I'm just here for the food."

• Like 1

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

Ran 3.1 miles on the treadmill at the gym this morning. Needed to take one walk break half-way through. Last week, I took 2 walk breaks over the same distance. Got on the scale there -- which I'm using as my official scale of record -- and it shows two more pounds down, which makes 15 lbs lost. I drank a full water bottle during the run, so I'm pretty sure that it's not just water I sweated out.

On the way home, I stopped at the drug store and bought up some light makeup. I've been unhappy for a while with how blotchy my face has become, so I thought I'd love myself enough to take action (inspired by the discussion above about love and indifference). It was a little awkward because everyone at home noticed and asked questions, but that's all over now. And DH insists that it's light enough that if he didn't know me so well, he probably wouldn't have noticed I was wearing it at all, which is what I wanted.

Tonight I'll do yoga, then have my "free" meal while watching the SuperBowl. It's pre-logged so I'm making a fully informed decision.

It's supposed to snow tonight, so I may be shoveling for my workout tomorrow, instead of bodyweight again. S'Ok. Gotta get those shoveling muscles in shape too. :)

[Edited to clarify that the discussion about self love/indifference was in the Challenge your Body Image thread, not this one.]

• Like 1

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

Did yoga first thing this morning -- so that's awesome. Great way to start the day. I tacked 10 minutes of meditation onto the end, so a double-whammy of relaxation.

A predicted, I swapped my bodyweight workout for a couple of hours shoveling snow. My oldest son and I shoveled between 8 and 12 inches off the driveway, and by the time we were at the end, the beginning had accumulated another 2 inches. Oh well. At least the next round tomorrow morning won't be as bad as it could have been.

Food-wise, all is well. Half an apple and an ounce of cheese for breakfast. Kind of a weird lunch of left-over chicken, guacamole, and a Wasa crispbread. Dinner is pork chops, salad, and half a sweet potato. And my next batch of hard cider is ready, so I think I'll have a glass of it tonight. :)

I spent 3 hours today on business finances, and I have just one more call to make tomorrow to finish up one of the bigger tasks. Can't wait to cross that off the list.

• Like 1

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)

I think I need to add a new Life Quest. My main quest, SMART goals, and business to-do's are actually going pretty well. If I can keep it up, I should be OK for my original challenge.

Background:

I play bass drum in a bagpipe band. When we moved this summer, we had to leave our old band, and I haven't been able to find a new permanent spot. I'm currently the back-up bass drummer for the new band my husband now plays pipes in. They're going to Scotland this summer to compete in the World Championships* and I'll tag along. I tagged along the last time he went too, in 2010. I'm tired of tagging along. I want to play. And it occurred to me at rehearsal last night that the lead bass drummer doesn't know the music yet. And hasn't shown up to practice in a while. Also, I'm a better drummer than she is (I won the "professional" championship in 2013; she is a mid-ranked amateur). I've started to think that if I can learn the music -- really nail it -- before the end of February, they might ask me to play at the championship instead. And even if they don't, I need a goal so I don't give up completely.

Also, I've promised a friend I would play bass for an Scottish drumming exhibition he's giving in April, and I need to learn that music as well. Our first rehearsal will be in mid-March.

* This is the winner at the Grade 1 level. Our band is a Grade 3, so two steps down.

New Life Quest: Memorize the my sheet music.

SMART goal: Practice 5 days a week, with a focus on memorizing the competition set by Feb. 25 and the exhibition set by March 15.

TL;DR: New quest: Learn drumming sheet music.

• Like 1

Level 2 -- Druid

Challenge 2 (Druid)

Challenge 1 (Recruit)