• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Oramac

Lightsaber (sword) based arts!

First, a disclaimer: I am in no way, shape, or form a Master of any of this.  Just someone who enjoys it and wants to share it for everyone to see.  

Now, that being said, I'm currently training with the Terra Prime Lightsaber Academy.  The Masters have all trained in their respective arts for over 10 years, some for more than 30 years.  They're trained in everything from Fencing to Tai Chi to Chinese Dao to European Longsword, plus a few others.  

They've had their youtube page for a while, and they're just getting a new website started as well, though it's not up and running yet.  

As with all martial arts, it's recommended to start at the beginning.  In this case, that's Shii-Cho:

Please be safe, and if you're going to spar, above all, wear protective gear!!!

• Like 6

It's fun to see where they get some of the moves from.  I definitely see some German and Italian Longsword in this, but there are some moves that look downright goofy to me.

Glad you can see those!  There's definitely German/Italian Longsword influence in there.  The goofy looking stuff is most likely from the Chinese/Japanese influence, especially as it merges with the European styles.  

I am currently learning sword/lightsaber by way of Chinese broadsword, and during sparring have also integrated some of my very basic Italian longsword. It's when I remember to switch between the two that I confound my sparring partners and land the most hits. ^.^

• Like 2

Perhaps it's in the execution of the moves. There were so many times I saw a move that I thought "that would get you killed"

Perhaps.  I admit, I've not had any real martial training, so I'm forced to trust the Masters putting the videos together.  I do know their training background (something like 150 combined years of training), which leads me to believe they know what they're talking about, but I've occasionally said those same words myself.  

I am currently learning sword/lightsaber by way of Chinese broadsword, and during sparring have also integrated some of my very basic Italian longsword. It's when I remember to switch between the two that I confound my sparring partners and land the most hits. ^.^

I think that might actually be the point.  Learning to transition without even thinking about it.  Basically, a lightsaber version of Jeet Kune Do.  â€œAbsorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.†(Bruce Lee)

I think that might actually be the point.  Learning to transition without even thinking about it.  Basically, a lightsaber version of Jeet Kune Do.  â€œAbsorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.†(Bruce Lee)

Exactly. Same thing with rapier.  When I go German messer on people, they don't know what to think when I am fighting more in an Italian style.  Throw a cut as a fake to the neck, disengage, thrust to the gut.  Works like magic.

• Like 1

One more thing I forgot the mention about the "goofy looking moves".  As in any kata, they're designed to teach a particular movement.  Not that you would use that exact move in a fight, but to get your body/brain used to doing something before a fight.  For example, you wouldn't really do any of the cool flourishes in a fight, but they can train moving the saber to different positions efficiently, which you would need in a fight.  

• Like 3

On 2/16/2015 at 8:21 AM, Oramac said:

Glad you can see those!  There's definitely German/Italian Longsword influence in there.  The goofy looking stuff is most likely from the Chinese/Japanese influence, especially as it merges with the European styles.  

On 2/17/2015 at 8:01 AM, SoloisticDrew said:

Perhaps it's in the execution of the moves. There were so many times I saw a move that I thought "that would get you killed"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a *tiny* bit of sword training and a book I'm working through to teach myself (recommended by people who do know what they're doing), and I have to admit there were times I thought some of their moves were a little goofy!  I know when I watched the films after working through basic guards and master strikes for German, I was wincing the whole time asking "okay, are you actually going to try to hit him, or are you going to keep doing aggressive rhythmic gymnastics with glowsticks at one another?"  I don't pretend to be an expert, but in one of the drills there are a few more openings than I would like when swinging a dangerous techno-sword (I am sure your instructors know what they're doing).  That said, I would concur that there's a fair bit in there that looks like German Longsword.

• Like 1

This thread is awesome.  I studied Modern Arnis for awhile and I always thought that if someone could make a replica lightsaber ~30" in total length it would work perfectly for much that I was taught.  The last I had heard my previous teacher had taped a session and was working on editing in saber effects.

• Like 1

Looks like fun!!!      <---- (with no previous experience)

I wonder how does one get into this sort of thing around my area..  *places hand to chin*  .... I might have to look into this..

• Like 1

On 4/2/2016 at 2:05 PM, Sevasan said:

Looks like fun!!!      <---- (with no previous experience)

I wonder how does one get into this sort of thing around my area..  *places hand to chin*  .... I might have to look into this..

Just go to the Terra Prime Light Armory on youtube.  They're in every area! 

This looks like a tremendous amount of fun.

I do T'ai Chi at the moment and want to move into the staff and sword forms.

I'm following as a bookmark for the youtube channel.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gaelle said:

This looks like a tremendous amount of fun.

I do T'ai Chi at the moment and want to move into the staff and sword forms.

I'm following as a bookmark for the youtube channel.

Glad to have you!  Some of the TPLA stuff is partially based on Tai Chi as well.