The Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

First time doing a battle log, so please be gentle!

Height: 5'7"

Weight: 186 lbs

I've stated in a previous post to that to make the idea of working out unavoidable, I took Weight Training as a class at my College for two credits.  This means I've spent a lot of money on this class and am being graded on it, so I sure as hell had better show up and produce something!  Today was our first day of actually working out.  We're using machines, not free weights, though I might ask him for a bit of training on the free weights section of the gym.  I haven't gotten the courage to do so yet.

Observation:  I need to find a way to eat something before my previous class, between classes, or somehow snack on something healthy before I hit the gym.  My first day there and I got headachey and light headed because all I had consumed was green tea.

So here's what I accomplished today (to the best of my recollection, I didn't have my notebook handy):

CARDIO - 10 min - Exercise Bike (HR 125)

Leg Press: 2 sets of 20 - 40 lbs

Leg Extension: 2 sets of 20 - 25 lbs

Leg Curls: 2 sets of 20 - 25 lbs

CARDIO - 10 min - Treadmill (HR 130)

Lat Pull Down: 2 sets of 15 - 40 lbs

Sadly, because I didn't take notes, I don't have the rest recorded.  I know I did a few more arm exercises before class ended.  I've got a brand new shiny composition book with which to track my progress.  The class meets twice a week, though I might hit either the school gym or Gold's Gym outside of class to keep up on my progress.  The coach is really helpful, and encouraging of the people with little to no experience.  All in all this looks like it's going to be fun!

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

Fitocracy | My Blog | Shiny Dayglo Battle Log

"ARMS.... LIKE.... NOODLES....!!!!"

Back for more!  I got weighed today in my biology class and discovered I was more than ten pounds off.  My weight is 174 at 5'7".  I also forgot to mention in my previous post that I am 41 years old.

Once again, I didn't eat before class, so all I had was tea.  I need to work on this more.  After payday I'll make sure to have healthy portable eats on hand to grab and go.

The coach was super helpful getting me through a full routine today, instead of just half a routine like last time.  He helped me learn each of the machines and didn't rush or pressure me at all.  Also, we talked a bit after class, and he says before the end of the semester he'll be transitioning me to free weights.  He agrees that they would be beneficial.

So here's today's workout.  I'm new at this, so my numbers aren't going to be terribly high... Also, I don't know the proper shorthand for recording this, so any coaching on that would be greatly appreciated.

Cardio (Treadmill): 10min/126hr

Leg Press:  20 @ 50lbs, 15 @ 50lbs

Leg Extension: 20 @ 40lbs, 15 @ 40lbs

Leg Curls: 2 sets of 20 @ 40lbs

Lat Pull Down: 3 sets of 15 @ 40lbs

Seated Chest Press: 15 @ 25lbs, 12 @ 25lbs, 12 @ 18lbs

Bicep Curls: 20 @ 20lbs, 15 @ 20lbs, 10 @ 20lbs

Tricep Extension: 15 @ 28lbs, 13 @ 28lbs, 10 @ 28lbs

Lateral Raise/Front Raise (free weights): 3 sets of 10 @ 5lbs

That's it.  It might not be huge changes like a lot of people here, but from someone who has never seriously worked out in the past, this is a major thing for me.  I'm hoping that since I'll be doing this long term over the entire semester, it'll develop into a habit.  After my last workout, the next day I was super sore, especially my shoulders.  Today my arms feel all noodley and I'm tired, I know I've been working out!  The funny thing?  I'm kind of enjoying it. :D

“No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.â€

~ Buddha

A little bit concerned this morning, my left bicep is still very stiff and sore.  Not sure how much of this is typical or if I pushed myself too hard too soon?  I'll ask the coach when I get to the gym today, and see what he says.  I'm thinking today's workout probably won't be as productive as the last one, just based on soreness.  Will it always been like this?

~ Buddha

Home from school!

The Coach wasn't in today, there was a girl there that I didn't recognize helping people out.  I mostly stuck to myself this time, since I know how to use all the machines properly and have a written list of what to do when.

Today went as follows (pasted from Fitocracy):

• Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:10:00 | 0.5 mi
  • Leg Press
    • 50 lb x 20 reps
    • 50 lb x 20 reps
    • 58 lb x 20 reps (PR)
  • Leg Extensions
    • 40 lb x 15 reps
    • 40 lb x 20 reps
  • Seated Leg Curl
    • 40 lb x 20 reps
    • 40 lb x 20 reps
    • 48 lb x 15 reps (PR)
  • Lat Pulldown
    • 40 lb x 15 reps
    • 40 lb x 15 reps
    • 40 lb x 15 reps
  • Machine Chest Press
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
  • Front Dumbbell Raise
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
  • Dumbbell Side Lateral Raise
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Bicep Curls
    • 20 lb x 20 reps
    • 20 lb x 20 reps
    • 20 lb x 15 reps
  • Machine Triceps Extension
    • 30 lb x 20 reps (PR)
    • 30 lb x 10 reps
    • 30 lb x 10 reps
  • Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:06:33 | 0.3 mi

As far as how that went, I think the arm exercises have been the hardest.  I've never been good with upper body strength.  I had a very hard time with the Seated Chest Press today, I just couldn't get past two sets.  I'm still pretty sore from Tuesday - does it ever get better?

I'm discovering why I'm enjoying what I'm doing.  I'm a results oriented person.  If I don't see progress, I'll get annoyed and stop doing something.  I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something here.  I'm sore, so I know I've worked hard (but not hard enough to injure myself!).  My logs in my notebook outline for me what I should be doing, what I've done, when it's time to increase weights, etc. so there's a sense of progression, which I love.  I feel a little bit outcast from the rest of the class, both by age and fitness level, but I try to keep my spirits up and keep on moving.

I wonder what kind of progress I will have made by the end of the semester?

I'm going to see if maybe I can hit the gym on Saturday, so I don't lose my momentum.  

~ Buddha

I was just thinking....

I have one adjustable dumbbell, with 2 plates each of 2.5lb, 5lb, 10lb and 25lb.  It shouldn't be much more expensive to spring for a second dumbbell bar, a barbell, and a few more weight plates.  I think I'll try and squeeze this into the budget for next pay period!   I really hope this great feeling isn't just a passing fad or obsession.  

~ Buddha

I'm back, with more numberrs even!  I had to take my body fat percentage today in Biology class, and it's 35.2%.  I weighed myself today and I'm still at 174 lbs.  I've started eating a breakfast of oatmeal with yogurt and almond milk and a hard boiled egg (Still haven't perfected the making of hard boiled eggs... Sigh).  I'd like to try and make some chocolate chia pudding, which is nice and high protein.  Need to get some chia first.

Well here's today's workout, I've made some progress on a few of them, though the seated chest press is causing me no end of difficulties.  My numbers keep dropping and that exercise is getting harder and harder to do.

Here's my numbers for today's workout (pasted from Fitocracy:

• Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:11:16 | 0.5 mi
  • Leg Press
    • 58 lb x 20 reps
    • 58 lb x 20 reps
    • 58 lb x 20 reps
  • Leg Extensions
    • 40 lb x 20 reps
    • 40 lb x 20 reps
    • 40 lb x 20 reps
  • Seated Leg Curl
    • 48 lb x 20 reps
    • 48 lb x 20 reps
    • 48 lb x 20 reps (PR)
  • Lat Pulldown
    • 48 lb x 15 reps
    • 48 lb x 15 reps (PR)
    • 48 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Chest Press
    • 18 lb x 10 reps
    • 18 lb x 6 reps
    • 18 lb x 5 reps
  • Front Dumbbell Raise
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Bicep Curls
    • 28 lb x 20 reps
    • 30 lb x 10 reps (PR)
    • 30 lb x 5 reps
    • 30 lb x 20 reps
    • 38 lb x 10 reps (PR)
    • 38 lb x 6 reps
  • Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:05:34 | 0.2 mi

I've talked to my partner about getting more weights, a second dumbbell and a barbell so that I can work out on my own at home, but that's up in the air for the time being.  That's it for the update.  Any input is greatly appreciated.  Thanks everyone!

~ Buddha

Rainy rainy day here in Florida.  I really didn't want to get out of bed and head to class, and seriously considered skipping Weight Training, but I realized this is something I really need to stick with, so I dragged myself out into the crappy weather for my Asian Humanities and Weight Training classes.

I approached the coach about my concerns regarding the seated chest press.  My numbers have been going consistently down, and I'm having a hard time doing that particular exercise.  It's also the one that makes me the most sore.  He suggested only doing two sets of the seated chest press and add in two sets of front flys, which I did.  We'll see how the soreness pans out tomorrow.

Also, weight update.  I weighed myself today, and I've dropped from 174 to 171.  It's the lowest I've been since moving to Florida six years ago (I was 165 when I moved, and my weight skyrocketed to 204).  Yay me!

So here's today's workout, courtesy of Fitocracy:

• Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:11:08 | 0.5 mi
  • Leg Press
    • 58 lb x 20 reps
    • 58 lb x 10 reps
    • 58 lb x 15 reps
  • Leg Extensions
    • 48 lb x 15 reps (PR)
    • 48 lb x 10 reps
    • 48 lb x 10 reps
  • Seated Leg Curl
    • 55 lb x 15 reps (PR)
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
  • Lat Pulldown
    • 48 lb x 15 reps
    • 48 lb x 10 reps
    • 48 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Chest Press
    • 18 lb x 10 reps
    • 18 lb x 10 reps
  • Front Dumbbell Raise
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
    • 5 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Bicep Curls
    • 30 lb x 10 reps
    • 30 lb x 10 reps
    • 30 lb x 10 reps
    • 40 lb x 15 reps (PR)
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Chest Fly (Pec Deck)
    • 20 lb x 10 reps
    • 20 lb x 10 reps (PR)
  • Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:10:54 | 0.5 mi

That's it for today's workout.  I had a nice snack of grapes and cheddar post-workout before heading home.  I'm hoping I can get to the gym on Saturday, or get some other kind of exercise in, even if it's just walking around the Fairgrounds (Florida State Fair is this weekend!).  Hope everyone has a great weekend!

~ Buddha

Went to check out YouFit today.  What I saw reminded me a lot of PlanetFitness, except with the addition of a larger free weights section (Smith machine, squat rack, etc.).  Spoke for a good twenty minutes with one of the employees.  He immediately tried to sell me on their 30 minute circuit (identical to PF).  I showed him the workout I'd been doing and he seemed a bit dubious as to whether it was the right routine for me. He asked what my goals were, and I couldn't define them clearly.  I know I want to strength train, but why? How? To what end?  What is the goal?  To look good?  To deadlift XYZ lbs?  I don't know!

When he asked what I wanted to do, I was afraid - AFRAID - to say that I'm interested in deadlifts and squats.  Good lords WHY???

I'm a little lost as to what to do next.  I might be able to go to YouFit for free through my insurance, but is it the right place for me?  I don't know.

~ Buddha

Another Tuesday in weight training class.  Mostly kept to myself today, no chatty Cathys hanging around not doing anything, which is nice.  I weighed in.  Lost another pound.  That's four total since I started this, which is good progress - baby steps!  In other non-weight training related news, I took my Asian Humanities test this morning, right before my workout.  I think I did ok.  I know I got at least one answer wrong (I didn't know it, so I didn't fill it in).  Hopefully I did well on the rest of them.

So here's today's session, courtesy of Fitocracy.  There's a few PRs in there, I decided I hadn't increased the weight enough over the last few weeks, so I tried increasing them.  Also tried doing heavier weights, with fewer reps.  I'd love some input.  

• Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:11:13 | 0.5 mi
  • Leg Press
    • 70 lb x 15 reps (PR)
    • 70 lb x 10 reps
    • 70 lb x 10 reps
  • Leg Extensions
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps (PR)
  • Seated Leg Curl
    • 55 lb x 15 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
  • Lat Pulldown
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps (PR)
  • Machine Chest Press
    • 18 lb x 15 reps
    • 18 lb x 10 reps
    • 18 lb x 10 reps
    • 20 lb x 10 reps
    • 20 lb x 5 reps
    • 20 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Bicep Curls
    • 30 lb x 10 reps
    • 30 lb x 10 reps
    • 30 lb x 5 reps
    • 40 lb x 15 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
  • Front Dumbbell Raise
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps (PR)
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps (PR)
  • Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:06:36 | 0.2 mi

Still looking for a gym to go to on the weekends and when classes get out.  I've got one adjustable dumbbell here at home, I'm hoping I can convince my partner to let me get a second one plus plates (total cost about $50).  Also hoping to do a nice big healthy shopping trip soon, loaded with fruits and veggies.  I'm thinking I might have to up my protein intake.  I only eat one serving of meat a day (dinner).  I eat very little the rest of the day.  Something tells me that this needs to change. As always, suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Thanks! <3

~ Buddha

Ended up staying for both classes today, despite feeling like total crap.  On the plus size, the exam I took in Asian Humanities this week?  I got a 106.  Got one wrong and all the extra credit.  Woo!

After Humanities was the gym.  My stomach was killing me from the flare up of my symptoms (for some reason, I think soda might be a trigger... I had two cans last night at our D&D group).  I forgot to eat this morning so I squeezed in a gluten free protein bar between classes.  I pushed through my workout with the assistance of Rob Zombie, Nine Inch Nails, Skinny Puppy and Ministry. The music made things go by faster, which I really needed.

Here's today's workout, care of Fitocracy (just made level 7! DING!):

• Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:11:07 | 0.4 mi
  • Leg Press
    • 70 lb x 15 reps
    • 70 lb x 15 reps
    • 70 lb x 15 reps
  • Leg Extensions
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
  • Seated Leg Curl
    • 55 lb x 15 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps (PR)
  • Lat Pulldown
    • 55 lb x 15 reps (PR)
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Chest Press
    • 18 lb x 10 reps
    • 18 lb x 5 reps
    • 18 lb x 10 reps
    • 20 lb x 15 reps (PR)
    • 20 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Bicep Curls
    • 30 lb x 15 reps
    • 38 lb x 10 reps (PR)
    • 38 lb x 8 reps
    • 40 lb x 15 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
  • Front Dumbbell Raise
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
  • Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:06:49 | 0.3 mi

So happy I made level 7.  For now, however, I need to take some pain medication and lie down, waiting for this flare to subside.  Hope everyone has a great day!

~ Buddha

Went to the bookstore today to find a science journal for my biology class and found nothing.  I'll have to check the other bookstore across town, maybe I'll have better luck there.

What I DID find was the latest issue of Shambhala Sun magazine - a magazine pertaining to modern Buddhism.  In the clearance section, I found a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for Abs - $5.98!  Snatched that up, it was the only one left.  I think my workouts have been neglecting my core, so I'll reference this for more ideas.

~ Buddha

Howdy!  It looks like taking a class was a successful strategy for you, which is cool.  Did your coach mention a reason for not starting you out on free weights right away?  Because if it were me, I'd be chomping at the bit -- free weights are a zillion times more fun than the machines.

I haven't read NROL for Abs, but I did the program in NROL for Women, and part of NROL for Life.  The exercises in the books tend to be pretty awesome, but I found the programs to be too complicated.  I do think you will enjoy the book -- good luck!

Hi FR!  Thanks for being my first commenter!

I also have NROL for Women, and agree, I got very confused trying to figure out the program, but the exercises sure look exciting!  I'm hoping to get a weight set soon and start putting it into practice at home on the weekends, and then implementing it in the classroom.  I think that's going to be one of my goals for the next Challenge.

~ Buddha

Back again.  Getting a little discouraged.  Kind of lacking in a support system here at home.  Was exhausted today and really didn't want to do anything, but I did it anyway.  Slacked on the last part of my cardio - I was just too damned tired.

Weigh in: 172 (up 2 lbs from last week)

• Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:10:45 | 0.5 mi
  • Leg Press
    • 78 lb x 15 reps
    • 78 lb x 15 reps (PR)
    • 78 lb x 10 reps
  • Leg Extensions
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
    • 55 lb x 10 reps
  • Seated Leg Curl
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
  • Lat Pulldown
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps (PR)
  • Machine Chest Press
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
    • 20 lb x 15 reps
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
    • 25 lb x 10 reps (PR)
  • Machine Bicep Curls
    • 38 lb x 10 reps
    • 38 lb x 10 reps
    • 38 lb x 10 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
  • Front Dumbbell Raise
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
  • Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:02:51 | 0.1 mi

~ Buddha

Today's workout was hard (for me).  I woke up exhausted and almost skipped my 8am class because of it.  Thankfully I didn't, because we were covering stuff that the professor provided no study notes for, so we really had to focus on this lesson's lecture.  It was 41 degrees out, which for Florida is a bit nippy, so lots of people skipped out on class.  I also woke up with a sore shoulder this morning, maybe I slept on it wrong.  It just hurts.

Despite the pain and exhaustion, I did what I could today.  I kind of slacked on the cardio (I was just so sleepy and cardio is so boring, I was getting drowsy just from the rhythm) and cut the chest press and the front and lateral raises short, so I wouldn't aggravate my shoulder.

My weight is still at 172.

Today's workout courtesy of Fitocracy.

• Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:06:41 | 0.3 mi
  • Leg Press
    • 78 lb x 10 reps
    • 78 lb x 10 reps
    • 78 lb x 10 reps
  • Leg Extensions
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps (PR)
  • Seated Leg Curl
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
  • Lat Pulldown
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Chest Press
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
    • 25 lb x 5 reps
    • I think I might have slept on my shoulder funny, because it's super sore today. I didn't want to push it too hard and make it worse, so I took it easy today on this one.
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
  • Machine Bicep Curls
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps (PR)
    • 40 lb x 7 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
    • 40 lb x 10 reps
  • Front Dumbbell Raise
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 6 reps
    • Didn't do a full three sets because of a sore shoulder.
    • 10 lb x 10 reps
    • 10 lb x 6 reps
    • Again, cut it short because of the shoulder pain.
  • Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:05:25 | 0.2 mi
  • Like 1

~ Buddha

Went to the bookstore today to find a science journal for my biology class and found nothing.  I'll have to check the other bookstore across town, maybe I'll have better luck there.

What I DID find was the latest issue of Shambhala Sun magazine - a magazine pertaining to modern Buddhism.  In the clearance section, I found a copy of The New Rules of Lifting for Abs - $5.98!  Snatched that up, it was the only one left.  I think my workouts have been neglecting my core, so I'll reference this for more ideas.

Shambhala Sun is AWESOME!  I subscribed for many years! ^_^

Dropping in to cheer you on!!  You got this, keep fighting the good fight~ :)

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Bit of a belated post.  The family went to Universal Studios this weekend, and walked 8.2 miles on Saturday alone (per my phone's pedometer).  The Hogwarts ride was FREAKING AMAZING, though I couldn't handle riding it a second time.

~ Buddha

I want to sign on for the new Challenge but have no idea what goals to set.  I always sucked at goal setting.  I've posted to the forums for help coming up with a workout plan, so hopefully someone - anyone - will respond, and set me on the right track.   I know as a dietary goal I need to stick more strictly to my gluten free diet.  This past weekend I nearly forgot about it completely (had to supplement my eating with gluten enzymes, but I think those are having their own set of problems).

~ Buddha

Here's a suggestion for you -- make a goal to figure out your goals.  You can try to break it down into  steps, such as figuring out your values, identifying other people whom you admire, and seeing what their goals are.  Or perhaps you could make very small, short term goals, and scale them up after each success, and try to figure out where you get stuck in that process.

N.B.  I went over and read your workout plan thread, and decided for whatever reason to put my suggestions here instead.  I'm not quite in your shoes, but I did start lifting free weights in my 30s, so I had a bit of that female-and-older anxiety going in.  So here's a framework for a starting free weights workout plan for you.  It's probably worth what you paid for it.  

Step 1:  Learn how to squat.  You can just swap out your leg press set  for squat sets for now, if you want to transition gradually into the world of Doing New Things And Possibly Looking Foolish (been there).  Look up some technique videos, and start without any weights.  If you can do 15 unweighted body squats, congratulate yourself, and move on to goblet squats.  If you can do 3 sets of 10 goblet squats holding at least a 40 lb dumbbell, move up to squatting with the olympic bar.  If you cannot do body weight squats, congratulate yourself for trying them anyway, and work on a modification that will let you get there.  People here will be happy to help.  

Step 2:  Learn how to do a pushup variation.  Swap out your machine chest press, pec deck, and triceps extension for this (an example of how much more time-saving the whole body approach to exercise can be).  OK, technically this may not be a free weight, except that your body is a weight, right?  And pushups are kinder on the shoulders than most other forms of pressing, so there's no reason not to start with them unless you can already crank out a bunch.  The best way to do these, if you can't get out a full pushup yet, is on a staircase.  Find a step to put your hands on that lets you get about 3 sets of 5, and once you work up to 3 sets of 8, move down to the next step, etc. until your hands are on the floor.  Then we'll talk about dumbbell and barbell presses.

Step 3:  Learn how to do a couple of different kinds of rows.  The easiest to start with is probably a 3-point dumbbell row, but you can experiment with a Pendlay row using the Olympic bar if you really want.  Swap out your biceps curls for this.

Step 4: Learn how to do an overhead press.  Start with dumbbells.  Swap out your front and lateral raises for this.

Step 5.  Learn how to deadlift.  This is going to be one of the most fun lifts, but may be slightly tricky to set up properly if you do not wish to start at 135 lbs (which is a bit high for those of us who are not strapping lads).  You may want to wait until you are at the point of squatting the bar in the cage, because by then you will have lost some of your apprehension about being watched/judged/etc.  Once you start this, you can get rid of the leg curls and leg extensions.  At that point, the only original part of your workout left will be lat pulldowns.  

This routine is perfectly adequate to start you out, and you can either keep going with it, or structure it up a bit once you learn all the basic lifts/moves.  Here's an excellent site that can get you started with proper technique: Stumptuous).  The most important thing at this point is not to have it all figured out, but to start.  Try things.  You know you want to start lifting free weights, and it is totally OK to just start by, well, starting.  You don't have to have the whole game plan figure out yet.

Thank you SO much! This is exactly the kind of breakdown I was looking for.  I might seem like a procrastinator, but I am one of those people organize (maybe over organize?) things, research, and don't like approaching something simply to screw it all up.  So I tend to take a long time to get things started because I get bogged down in the details.  Thanks so much for posting this, it'll be super helpful! :D

~ Buddha

Over the weekend the family and I took a trip to Universal Studios and walked for 11 hours.  My phone's pedometer clocked us at having walked 8.2 miles, but by the end of the day my back was killing me.  

Didn't work out on Tuesday because I missed school that day.  So that leaves us with today, Thursday.  Weighed in at 174 which is +2lbs over last week, which I attribute it to eating nothing but restaurants and takeout for the weekend at Universal.  I only did part of what I usually do in my workouts, in an effort to focus more on body weight and transitioning to free weights.  I spoke to the coach about 3-point dumbbell rows (he called them something else, I forget what) and doing pushups on a raised surface.  Instead he had me on the cable machine.  Is this better or worse?  He had me do a Standing Incline Cable Press, which wasn't easy.

Goal for this weekend:  Get through some body weight exercises, stressing pushups on the stairs and learning to do squats.  See if I can convince the fiance to let me by the rest of my weight set.  *fingers crossed*

• Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:10:42 | 0.5 mi
  • Leg Press
    • 78 lb x 15 reps
    • 90 lb x 10 reps
    • 90 lb x 10 reps (PR)
  • Seated Leg Curl
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
  • Leg Extensions
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
  • Lat Pulldown
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 63 lb x 10 reps
    • 70 lb x 10 reps (PR)
    • 25 lb x 15 reps (PR)
    • 25 lb x 12 reps
    • 25 lb x 10 reps
  • One-Arm Dumbbell Row
    • 15 lb x 12 reps
    • 15 lb x 12 reps
    • 15 lb x 12 reps (PR)
  • Standing Incline Cable Press
    • 5.5 lb x 12 reps (PR)
    • 5.5 lb x 5 reps
    • 5.5 lb x 5 reps
  • Walking (treadmill)
    • 00:03:00 | 0.1 mi

~ Buddha