Cathelas' First Challenge - Better Late Than Never

Cathelas

Greetings All,

When I was 30, I was in great shape – weighed 172, ran 6 days a week, could do 100 sit ups in 120 seconds.  That was a long time ago.  At 46, I have used a thousand excuses not to work out.  And amazingly enough, as my fitness decreased, my weight increased, which caused the spiral of more excuses.  I have been digging around and pondering, looking for motivation.  Last night I really spent time at Nerd Fitness and liked what I was reading.  So I am in.  I admit, I almost put it off, I mean the challenge started over two weeks ago, I could just wait til the next one.  But I got off my butt and did the Beginner Body Weight Routine.  I swapped crunches for dumbbell rows, the only flat bench was being used.  I haven’t done crunches in a few years and it was a wakeup call.  I got through three sets, much to my surprise.  To complete the day, I am going to put my goals for the abbreviated challenge down on e-paper:

Main Quest – To ride a Century by November 2015 (This is the LONG term quest, along the way I will drop weight, eat more paleo, get more sleep, and other positive life changes)

Sub goals for my abbreviated Challenge-

·         Do the Beginner Body Weight routine at least 3x week

o   A – 3+ times, B – 2 times, C – 1 time, D – no comment

·         Spin or ride bike 2x week

o   A – 2+ times, B – 1 time, C – ugh

·         No eating after diner

o   A – 6+ nights, B – 5/4 nights, C – 3/2nights , D – 1 night, F -zero

Four weeks to start some new behaviors.  I am in.

Cathelas the Level 3 Half-Orc

STR 10|DEX 6|CON 10|STA 11|WIS 8|CHA 7

My Challenges: 15-1 15-2 15-3

Tracking Goal, get weight below 200 pounds Starting (Jan 23, 2015): 226 Goal: 199  Exactly 3 months to hit goal weight April 23, 2015!

New Weight Loss Goal 180 pounds started April 23, 2015  Current Weight 179 - Made it on June 27!

100%
100%

Travel to Mordor by Spin, Road Bike, Running (starting Feb 23, 2015)         Made it to Mount Doom on July 11, 2015!  Now, I need to turn around and go home!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Rauros to Mount Doom 470 miles this leg for a total of 1779 miles 

100%
100%

Day Two - Success!

I made it down to the gym, although my hamstrings are yelling at me from yesterday. Old man needs to stretch more.  Since I am out of town, the bike wasn't an option, but I did get 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill.  Stretched out my legs, got the heart working, happy to be building a pattern.

For the rest of the day, trying to minimize junk snacks - reviewing Nom Nom Paleo for some options to prepare for the future.  Also, trying to get my signature updated with a progress bar - I am missing something in the code.

Tracking Goal, get weight below 200 pounds Starting (Jan 23, 2015): 226 Goal: 199  Exactly 3 months to hit goal weight April 23, 2015!

New Weight Loss Goal 180 pounds started April 23, 2015  Current Weight 179 - Made it on June 27!

100%
100%

Travel to Mordor by Spin, Road Bike, Running (starting Feb 23, 2015)         Made it to Mount Doom on July 11, 2015!  Now, I need to turn around and go home!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

100%
100%

Day The Third

Progress continues.  Got Beginner Body Weight work out in, even though my legs were screaming.  It is really a wakeup call for how far I had slipped.  Added 20 minutes on the treadmill to stretch out at the end so I feel a bit looser now.  I have to fly tonight, always get stiff on airplanes.  Tomorrow will be the real challenge - back at work, back in Illinois.  I am planning to get on the spin bike, I hope the work schedule cooperates!

This will be the first full week of the challenge.  I am psyched to watch myself stick to it.  Knowing it is easy to make excuses, I am focusing on motivation.  Let's see what happens!

100%
100%

100%
100%

Monday and the streak continues.  Work was crazy, but I got down to the spin bike for a half hour.  Very pleased to knock out some cardio on a snowy day.

Last night, the food goal was off, but I figured it might given I was flying.  A late night snack when I got home, and there was nothing of quality - except the quality of M&Ms.  I will get to the grocery soon and remedy the situation.

100%
100%

100%
100%

Oh my god, your goals are crazy ambitious :o

I'm already madly impressed by that!

I'll follow this topic to see how it turns out, best of luck (and willpower of course)!

If you need some extra motivation feel free to reach out to me!

Run 21 kilometers                                                        7.1km                                                                                                                                                                                                            21.1km

33.6%
33.6%

I want to get fit for my 25th birthday, so look how I'm doing at my Six-Week-Challenge Thread!

Tuesday was a rest day and my legs thanked me. Wednesday I caught a 40 minute spin class and held my own. This has been the craziest week, looking forward to the weekend so I can do some menu planning and get some Paleo meals in the pipeline. Between a plane Sunday and two days of 400 mile driving, my head is just not ready for cooking. Fortunately this is a very atypical week.

I am really thankful for NF right now. Days 1&2 I fe miserably sore. It hurt to walk, bending was impossible. Just a few days later, it is all good. And most importantly, I am thinking about diet and exercise and how to make it all line up.

Thanks Nerds!

• Like 1

100%
100%

100%
100%

First full week summary, and I am happy to have a summary to write.  The first week with any plan is always the hardest.  This time, I was really motivated, primarily by the accountability of the Rebellion  :playful: .  So, here is how I score myself:

·         Do the Beginner Body Weight routine at least 3x week

o    B – 2 times

·         Spin or ride bike 2x week

o   A – 3 times

·         No eating after diner

o   B – 4 nights

2 B's and an A, my math equals out to a solid B for the first week.  And to be honest, I didn't think I would do that well when I made the goals - seemed I was being aggressive at the time.  I guess that is why we call it a "Challenge!" 

Thanks for all the support along the way.  Hoping to keep the routine, but improve the diet this week. The Paleo pork shoulder I made today is amazing.  It will be a good base protein for multiple meals this week.  Also, yesterday I started incorporating a green smoothie for breakfast.  Spinach blends pretty well.  I think it will work for a while, although starting the day with a cold drink when it is in the 20s out seems mental.

100%
100%

100%
100%

So, while I was worried, it ended up a damn good week!  Snow on Sunday kept me from heading to spin, so I got of my butt and did the BBWW.  The couch and watching super bowl were calling, but I carved out the time, got the heart pumping, and felt much better for it.  I worked out 5 days again this week, but only one spin.  The thing that really threw me was on Friday.  After doing BBWW, I decided to hip on the treadmill to stretch out.  Typically, I either just walk or do a combo walk one min jog one min.  Ever since I tore my MCL in 2004 I haven't gotten the running back.  In fact I can't remember the last time I was able to jog for 3 minutes straight.  Well miracle of miracles, after a 3 minute warm up, I jogged 13 minutes straight, one mile according to the mill.  I couldn't believe it.  After doing that workout, I had enough in me to run.  The Rebellion is working!  And as an extra bonus, Saturday morning I felt good enough to knock out a BBWW before lunch.  Not really sore, getting more flexible.  And smiling!

Food was not as successful as I had hoped.  A bit of snacking in the evening, more carbs than I should have at meals.  This was another week with travel, so my planning was not ideal.  I should b.s.be Able to get to the grocery Monday after work so I can get back on the paleo track.  At least 50% of the time.

Grades for the week

BBWW =A+ 4 times

Spin = B once

Eating after dinner = C

Overall for the week, a solid B

Viva la Revolution!

100%
100%

100%
100%

Racing to the finish!

I finally got hit with the winter plague all of my co-workers have been battling.  Kicked my butt Sunday and Monday.  Tuesday, I almost felt human again, but not good enough to do anything.  Yesterday, I climbed back onto the spin bike.  I had a really good ride, cleared the lungs out.  Felt even better today, legs were pretty loose.  Today, really long day at work, and I was really tempted to phone it in and go straight home.  But, with the end of the challenge approaching, and the fact I joined late looming, I got my ass back in the saddle.  I had a hard ride again tonight, and feel really good about it!  I have to thank the challenge for keeping me honest and motivated.  

Diet is getting better this week as well.  Green smoothies for breakfast, more salads, solid proteins.  I am already getting ready for the next challenge.  Thinking about new SMART goals.  It has been a good first effort!

100%
100%

100%
100%

S-A-TUR-D-A-Y NIGHT!

Well, didn't finish the week quite like I hoped. Friday turned into a 13 1/2 hour workday, so the afternoon workout was a miss.  I got to the spin bike today, so I totaled 3 workouts.  Kind of odd, all were spin, no BBWW.  Next challenge, I will just go for total workouts, not breaking it out by type I think.  So that is a big win in a way, I am already committing to the next challenge  :nevreness:

Let's look at those scores:

·         Do the Beginner Body Weight routine at least 3x week

o    F- 0 times

·         Spin or ride bike 2x week

o   A – 3 times

·         No eating after diner

o   A – 6 nights

Two As and one F, I go with a for the week.  But I will take it, since I was really sick and then had a crazy work day.

How does it add up for the whole challenge?  I did 3 1/2 weeks.  Two weeks of B, one week of C.  I believe I finish the challenge with a B!  I will take it with a smile  :pirate: 

100%
100%

100%
100%

Keeping it strong - I did the BBWW today.  Wanted to get in some cardio also, but it is dang cold out there today.  Like 15 degrees cold.  So, I give myself props for at least getting off my butt for a workout!

The GREAT part about today - crushing some Paleo cooking to make this week go better.  

Zenbelly's Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs with Bacon and Apple: http://zenbellycatering.com/2014/05/21/pan-roasted-chicken-with-bacon-and-apples/

Well Fed Paleo's Chocolate Chili: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/

I am hoping the weekend cooking will get me through the week with as much Paleo as possible.  

Thanks for the great challenge Recruits!

100%
100%

100%
100%

Subbed!

Awesome job on keeping up with your workouts. Yum! Those recipes look delicious. You'll have to tell us how they turn out :)

CoderGatherer

Fire Genasi - Level 5

STR 9 | WIS 6 | CON 8 | CHA 3 | DEX 6 | INT 6

Current Challenge

Chapter 1 - Chapter 2 - Chapter 3 -Chapter 4 - Chapter 5 - Chapter 6

Proud Tricerasister

Battle Log

You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Subbed!

Awesome job on keeping up with your workouts. Yum! Those recipes look delicious. You'll have to tell us how they turn out :)

They were both great.  The chili was ridiculously easy and had awesome flavor.  I highly recommend both!

100%
100%

100%
100%

How're your goals going? Has it warmed up for you yet? We had a 60 degree day here on Monday but now it's back to upper 30s/lower 40s. Still warmer than a week ago though :)

2016 goals: Hit goal weight. Build muscle.

2015 goals: Get stronger, stop loathing squats and get better at them - DONE!!!

2014 goal: Lose 52.5 lbs. - DONE!!! 12/13/14

MFP

How're your goals going? Has it warmed up for you yet? We had a 60 degree day here on Monday but now it's back to upper 30s/lower 40s. Still warmer than a week ago though :)

Weekend was awesome 60s. Today high in 40s. Looking at 50s again for the weekend!

• Like 1

100%
100%

100%
100%