• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

It is a sign of tendon problems. Make sure that you warm up your elbow beforehand. And then video yourself and make sure you are using good form, with your elbows tucked in, not flared out. If they still bother you, you may need to ease up a bit on how many you do. Sometimes the muscles get stronger before the tendons, and if you just ignore the problem you can cause  tendonitis.

• Like 1

I couldn't find a video to show them,but it is pretty basic. 

Get down on all fours and do some wrist stretches like this video. Then holding your hands in the same position rotate the inside of your elbow from back to front, then back again.Do that a few times. Then in the same position use your elbows to make circles. Two good links I have, The first is wrist warm ups, second is proper push up form.

http://gmb.io/push-up/

• Like 1

It is a sign of tendon problems. Make sure that you warm up your elbow beforehand. And then video yourself and make sure you are using good form, with your elbows tucked in, not flared out. If they still bother you, you may need to ease up a bit on how many you do. Sometimes the muscles get stronger before the tendons, and if you just ignore the problem you can cause  tendonitis.

Absolutely. Rest (stop pulling and pushing) until your elbows feel normal again. Then try Wall Push Ups and Push Ups with hands on a high desk. They will be a lot easier but will help your tendons to recover. Aim for something like 3 sets of 40, building up to this slowly you ill strengthen all the auxillary muscles that will preven this from happening again. you will still get stronger but in different areas.

Tendonitis is a seriously tricky injury and can haunt people for years, try not to let it get serious.

Rest is key..

Instead of pushing/pulling based exercise you could look into planks, bodyline exercises and eventually handstands, flags, forearm stands, the L-sit. There's tonnes you can do to improve your strength, even in your arms without doing the traditional pushing pulling motions that are causing you elbow issues. Plus if you can hold a free standing handstand for 30 seconds, not only do you have to be ripped but also in my oppinion it is harder and looks cooler than doing pushups.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

Just curious, is it the outside of the elbow (tennis elbow) or the inside of the elbow (golfers elbow)?

Does it hurt only when you're doing pushups? If so, that's probably a good thing. It means it hasn't gotten bad yet.

There are dedicated rehab exercises you can do, you can also ice it daily. If it gets worse, an elbow brace can help a lot with pain management. I'm wearing one now.

Just curious, is it the outside of the elbow (tennis elbow) or the inside of the elbow (golfers elbow)?

Does it hurt only when you're doing pushups? If so, that's probably a good thing. It means it hasn't gotten bad yet.

There are dedicated rehab exercises you can do, you can also ice it daily. If it gets worse, an elbow brace can help a lot with pain management. I'm wearing one now.

Last winter (when NJ had brutal snow) I developed golfers elbow in my left arm from shoveling snow.  When I looked online for what to do to help it get better, I found lots of advice on correcting my golf swing.  I don't play golf, except occasionally of the miniature variety.  

No advice found on improving your snow-shoveling technique, so I just iced it.

I couldn't find a video to show them,but it is pretty basic. 

Get down on all fours and do some wrist stretches like this video. Then holding your hands in the same position rotate the inside of your elbow from back to front, then back again.Do that a few times. Then in the same position use your elbows to make circles. Two good links I have, The first is wrist warm ups, second is proper push up form.

http://gmb.io/push-up/

I've started doing these and I have to say my wrists are better for it :)

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...

I don't feel any pain on my right elbow but when I do a few push-ups, my left elbow suddenly hurt. I first assumed it was because when I do my push-ups, my shoulders are sometimes slightly tilted to the right but if that was the case then it should have hurt on my right elbow. There hasn't been any recent accidents or injuries that involved my left elbow/arm being hurt.

4 hours ago, Zeddie said:

I don't feel any pain on my right elbow but when I do a few push-ups, my left elbow suddenly hurt. I first assumed it was because when I do my push-ups, my shoulders are sometimes slightly tilted to the right but if that was the case then it should have hurt on my right elbow. There hasn't been any recent accidents or injuries that involved my left elbow/arm being hurt.

It seems likely, since you’ve mentioned you’re already having form issues, that your elbow pain is stemming from a form issue. It does not always work quite as simply as you’d think, just because something hurts doesn’t necessarily mean it’s caused by you putting extra stress on it. It’s entirely possible to lean toward your right side because of a problem with your left that then flares up and causes pain.

Has this elbow pain happened more than once?

Can you post a form video of your pushups so we have something to go on?

• 3 weeks later...

Need elbow advice:

I'm 36 and 10 months ago I hurt my elbow at work, physical fitness level decreasing, used to be able to jam out 500 pushups a day in sets of 30 / and only bench 3x10 at 225 but no where near that now. Two years before that I hurt my lower back severly, several strain of intercostal muscle, pinched nerve, horrible musculoskeletal pain, and started getting esophageal spasms and was gonna get surgery but my symptoms gradually started going away! (Had CT-Scan, Xray, Ultrasound, Barium Swallow, several Hernia Checks, etc.) Anyhoot, I started getting better and than at work in October 2019, my left arm was holding a heavy object, it slipped and I instinctively tried to pull it up with my left arm alone and did preventing the heavy object from break. Left elbow hardly hurt at the time, finished my entire shift no problem. Woke up in the middle of the night, couldn't move my elbow in horrible pain, my elbow doubled in size and was filled with liquid, doc wrapped it and said bursitis. A few weeks and it was completely normal sized,  but for months it hurt to much to even rest my elbow on an armrest, I can now but it hurts horribly if I accidently bump it for hours. I can lift heavy objects without any problem, but if I hold my 35lb 3 year old for a few mins with just my left arm I have paid (1 to 2 on 10 scale) for a few hours after directly in the elbow). Also, when I do pushups, only 10 to 20 spaced a month apart.... so sad...... I get pain directly at the elbow join between the radius and ulna what feels like 1 cm in. I can do a bunch before I feel pain there and as the months go by I reached 17 now without pain than on number 18, 19, 20 I had pain (3 to 4 on a 10 scale). 

I have an open case with the DOL and have the option to see an orthopedic specalist, but if the doc puts me on light duty and says surgery is required I could get stuck sitting in a room doing nothing basically at 4 am in the morning instead of the shift I have now in the afternoon. Plus I'd had to have surgery which I have a phobia of, never had surgery before. Sadly, as a result of my injuries, I'm starting to get man boobs.... :(  Last  general doc thought ulnar neuropathy but had no idea

Question, will my elbow heal to the point on its own and allow me to get back to the point where I could jam out 500 pushups daily in sets or should I suck it up and go to the doctor. The sad thing is once I go I could get screwed. I don't know the body too well and I'm hoping it just heals natrually.

My pain is the outside (back) of my left elbow, closest to the body directly between those 2 bones in the elbow if that makes sense. XRAYs revealved nothing broken / fractured.