So quailman turned out well. I am now working on a cubone costume. Anyone have any ideas on how to make the skull light strong and cheap? I was thinking paper mache but that could get heavy. Maybe Eva foam? I would need it smooth though... any ideas?

In brightest day, In blackest night, No evil shall escape my sight, Let those who worship evils might, beware my power, GREEN LANTERNS LIGHT!

I've done paper mache helmets before, they're no heavier than any other costuming material.  The main problem is getting a good enough frame to do the mache over.  And a random tip: use masking tape instead of newspaper; it's already cut in strips and stays in place while you add the glue.

EVA foam is also an option, as is Worbla or even Kydex.  Any of those will give you a (potentially) higher quality piece, but will also be more expensive than paper mache and have a much higher learning curve.  Look up some tutorials and see what you're comfortable with.

Finally, for helmets and such, pick up a hard hat and steal the headband/inner structure.  You can glue that inside your helmet and adjust it to keep you costume helmet in place.

• Like 1

Anim07734; God of Death in Training

Tiefling Assassin and Artificer

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

I just scored a pass to a con that is ten days away. Not at all sure I'm gonna bother with cosplay, especially since I'm going to be on staff and I'll possibly be getting dirty. Also, I don't know how to sew (always wanted to learn but haven't got a machine...)

I'll probly just dig in the closet and see if I have any old costumes left, or do my usual "thrift shop cosplay." I gave away most of my costumes last time I moved, they were all poorly made (still fun though) and I told myself I was too old to keep those crappy things and I wasn't going to cons much anymore ... lol, guess I was wrong. I wish I still had the NASA jumpsuit I got in space camp long ago.

and yet, so tempted. Costuming is fun even when it's as crappy as mine.

• Like 1

Every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

Hylian Assassin 5'5", 143 lbs.
Half-marathon: 3:02
It is pitch dark. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

If you're willing to shell out a little money, check out Zentai Zentai for quick superhero costumes.  Not sure about shipping times though, you may have to go through amazon for a quick enough turn around.

Work just put me through a Solidworks course, so I spent the free time in class modeling a tail for Nightcrawler.  Should have time next week to try putting some pieces together and see if it works like it does in my head.  Current plan is: braided steel cable for the core; kydex X's of various length for vertebra, foam spacers for cartilage, and heavy duty rubber bands for tendons/ligaments.  Still need to decide what I want to use for muscle and that will decide the control system required.

• Like 1

Maxim 70: Failure is not an option. It is mandatory. The option is whether or not to let failure be the last thing you do.

There is a noticable lack of pictures in this thread. I want pictures!

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Then post some. I have to find some of mine....

I don't cosplay due to no time in th world to get into it, I'm here to follow along on the fun.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

In the interest of pictures, here's my Nightcrawler from the last two years of DragonCon.

9726272977_374419a4e3_o.jpg     15366241497_68e8e9a062.jpg

Trying to make the tail robotic for this year; will try to actually get work in progress pics to record how it goes together.

• Like 2

Oh hai guys.

Just perusing the forums and found a cosplay thread! I have found my people!! I am a costume designer and a cosplayer. I mainly do Doctor Who and Marvel cosplays, but I am in the midst building Princess Leia's Bespin costume to be ready for Star Wars Celebration in a couple weeks. I'm excited!!

I did a photoshoot just last week so I can put up a website with all my info. My life quest for the next challenge is going to be to start my own business and put up an Etsy store like I've been meaning to do for ages. Been thinking over a cosplay name too. I'm always happy to talk shop with costumes and props (I made my Cap shield too). Here's a little sampling :D

11049343_782787385150436_1748485598_n.jp

• Like 4

Jayne Dashwood

Level 2 Timelady Assassin

STR 6.5 | DEX 6 | STA 2 | CON 3.5 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Challenges: 2nd | 1st

"Continual occupation and change soon weaken impressions." -Jane Austen, Persuasion

Yesssss!

In the interest of pictures, here's my Nightcrawler from the last two years of DragonCon.

9726272977_374419a4e3_o.jpg     15366241497_68e8e9a062.jpg

Trying to make the tail robotic for this year; will try to actually get work in progress pics to record how it goes together.

You're an assassin. Do you have more Nightcrawleresque moves to along with the tail this year?

Oh hai guys.

Just perusing the forums and found a cosplay thread! I have found my people!! I am a costume designer and a cosplayer. I mainly do Doctor Who and Marvel cosplays, but I am in the midst building Princess Leia's Bespin costume to be ready for Star Wars Celebration in a couple weeks. I'm excited!!

I did a photoshoot just last week so I can put up a website with all my info. My life quest for the next challenge is going to be to start my own business and put up an Etsy store like I've been meaning to do for ages. Been thinking over a cosplay name too. I'm always happy to talk shop with costumes and props (I made my Cap shield too). Here's a little sampling :D

11049343_782787385150436_1748485598_n.jp

Something about the top right one, I think maybe the lower part of the face, reminds me of Scarlett Johansson.

500 / 330 / 625

I'm currently training handstands and muscle ups, and looking into levers/back levers/elbow levers.

I can already do the quadrapedal run, but need to practice rolling with the tail's climbing harness.  I also like to climb and perch (as pictured) when I can.

Half of cosplay is getting into character. :playful:

Something about the top right one, I think maybe the lower part of the face, reminds me of Scarlett Johansson.

People often tell me I look like ScarJo. In fact, the bottom right photo is my Black Widow cosplay from Winter Soldier:

background.jpg

• Like 1

Jayne Dashwood

"Continual occupation and change soon weaken impressions." -Jane Austen, Persuasion

That dress is awesome.

Got it at a thrift store like six years ago for $8. I wear it all the time. Just added the corset and done! Captain America.

• Like 1

Jayne Dashwood

It was actually really easy, as long as you are precise with your measurements!

I followed this tutorial on TheRPF: http://www.therpf.com/f78/captain-america-shield-steel-saucer-sled-189420/

The guy in the tutorial used a steel saucer sled, but since I was shopping in May/June, I could only find plastic saucer sleds. I got this one in black: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00637PUOU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And when they say heavy duty, it's heavy duty. It's about 1/3" thick, the plastic doesn't bend at all. Weighs about 5lbs, but it feels like 20 by the end of a con day.

The main difference when using the plastic sled is that you don't need to do the anodized paints like he does in the tutorial. They are semi-transparent and the color won't work on the plastic sled. I learned that the hard way, had to strip it and redo it. I used paint/primer combo spray paints for the red and blue, a gray primer for the silver, with a metallic silver on top. Did 2-3 coats per color, 2 coats of clear shiny spray paint to seal it in. Added a star from aluminum sheet like the tutorial said. The key is patience and letting it dry in between coats because when I transferred the painter's tape when changing colors, some edges came up. I used the gray primer to match the back, used the handles the sled came with for the backing. A later addition was making a cloth padding for the handles and the back of the sled for my arm because I was getting scratched up after a while. Everything is pretty easy to screw by hand into the plastic, I just did a small hammer and nail first to secure the proper location.

I've been meaning to write up a blog post on it cause I took all kinds of in-process photos, I just haven't gotten around to it.

• Like 3

Jayne Dashwood

People often tell me I look like ScarJo. In fact, the bottom right photo is my Black Widow cosplay from Winter Soldier:

background.jpg

Holy crap! you do look like her a lot!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads