• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jhaye1

Is plant based protein powder paleo??

Hello NF Family

I have been doing a little research on plant based protein, and am wondering if this would be paleo.  I love protein shakes before weight lifting, and for 3 months now have been living the paleo lifestyle.  Ive dropped over 20 lbs in that time, and do not plan to go back.  BUT...  I do miss the protein and BCAA's that come along with the protein shake.  Please let me know if you think I should shit can this idea:

www.allstarhealth.com/de_p/30844/NUTRA_FUSION_plant_fusion.htm

Thanks in advance

John

If you are going to make a concession for a processed food then why not make a concession for an optimal processed food and go with whey isolate which is also lactose free? Plant based proteins in general are low in leucine which is the one amino that is tied to muscle growth.

I did some reading on this back when I was attempting Paleo. Apparently quinoa, amaranth and peas (all of which the protein powder you're asking about are made of) are kind of a hot subject since the first two are considered ancient grains and the latter is a legume. Whey is dairy derivative, which also makes it non-Paleo. However, beef protein IS paleo. So, if you're looking to make a processed food "Paleo" approved, beef protein is probably your best bet. But, don't leave it in your protein shaker after drinking because man...it smells like farts and dead animals.