3 1/2 months 35 lbs and my goal has been reached! 180 lbs

Started October 6th at 215 lbs and as of this morning after 3 consecutive days of morning weigh ins, I officially reached my goal of 180 lbs! I also dropped 4" on my waist forcing me to buy all new pants and actually fit into a mens medium shirt!

homer-computer-woohoo.jpg

How I did it:

• Hardware

-Barbells

-Chuck Taylors

-HTC One M8

-Headphones

• Software

-MyFitnessPal App

-StrongLifts App

-Nerd FItness Forums and Blogs

-Reddit/r/Fitness

-YouTube, LOTS of YouTube

• Food/Diet

Daily intake averaged out to right around 1900 calories a day and a protein goal of 130g-150g.  Initially I started at around 2k calories a day, but as my weight went down so did my calories.  The last few weeks had me eating under 1800 calories which was unsustainable with volume of lifting associated with StrongLifts.  For those last few weeks I bumped back up to 2050 calories which did slow my progress in losing weight but it kept me going in the gym.  I had days as low as 1300 calories early on and some days as high as 2500 calories on a few occasions.  One thing that my wife and I did was we rarely ate out.  We used to go out once or twice a week, but now we go out once or twice a month. Saves a lot of money and calories.

Examples of food I ate

Breakfast was a combination of any one of these foods plus a coffee with a tbsp of sugar and cream.  Usually added up to about 350-500 calories

• 1/2 Cup instant oats w/1 scoop of chocolate whey protein and 2 Tbsps of peanut butter powder
  • 2 egg omelet w/ 1 oz of diced ham and 1 slice Kraft single american cheese
  • 1 fried egg 1 slice of toast 1oz of diced ham 1 slice Kraft single american cheese
  • 2 cups 1% milk w/ 1 scoop of whey protein
  • 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese, instant oats w/brown sugar

Lunch always included an apple and a fat-free yogurt and then would either be a Weight Watchers frozen dinner or leftovers from dinner the night before.   Typically was 350 - 750 calories 

Dinner/Supper This was often chicken for protein since beef and pork are much more expensive (in the US) right now. 600 - 900 calories

• Baked chicken with a dry seasoning rub w/ oven roasted carrots, asparagus and potatoes
  • Homemade shredded chicken tacos on low carb wheat tortillas w/ spanish rice
  • Chicken Teriyaki w/ steamed rice (teriyaki sauce is really high on sugar and sodium!)
  • Honey Mustard Grilled Chicken Bacon Cheeseburgers (Freaking tasty!  Look up Pioneer Woman "Ranch Style Chicken")
  • 2-3oz of Pasta w/ baked chicken and marinara or meat sauce

Snacks These were random and usually were consumed to make sure I was getting enough protein for the day.

• 1 cup 1% milk w/ 1 scoop of whey
  • fat-free yogurt
  • 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese

• Exercise

The first month I was using Steve's Beginner Body Weight Workout.  This was to get my body used to moving again and doing some form of physical activity. I was in good enough shape that I was able to complete 3 circuits in about 30 minutes from the very start, so at least I had that going for me.   After that I moved into StrongLifts.   I chose SL because I literally have never touched a barbell in my life so I wanted to start at a low risk weight of just the bar.  My form initially was dreadful as you can imagine, but as the weeks past and my mobility improved so did my form.  It's still a work in progress but it's almost painful to watch my first form videos from 4 months ago.

I've actually switch programs the last month from StrongLifts to Jonnie Candito's Linear Strength/Control Program.  It is a 4 days a week upper lower split with weight increased on a weekly basis.  2 days of heavy lifts 2 days of lighter weights, slightly higher volume with variations of the main lifts. The control days incorporates paused lifts which has been VERY helpful in getting my form in check, something SL didn't do for me.  It also takes less time in the gym vs SL and allows me to incorporate some accessory movements.

Monday: Heavy Lower

3x6 Squats

2x6 Deadlifts

Tuesday: Heavy Upper

3x6 Bench Press

3x6 Rows (Horizontal pull)

1x6 Press (Vertical)

1x6 Pulldown/Chin ups

3x8 Facepulls (This is an added optional I chose to use)

Thurs: Control Lower

6x4 Paused Squats

6x4 Paused Deadlifts

Friday: Control Upper

6x4 Spoto Press

6x4 Paused Rows (Paused at full contraction)

1x10 Press (Vertical)

1x10 Pulldown/Chins

3x8 Zottoman Curls (This is an added optional I chose to use)

Main lifts are still progressing except I'm struggling with the Overhead Press, like most people.  I'm hoping to get past 95 lbs next week.

• Goals for the Future
  1. ​Get my BF% down below 15%.
  2. Get to a 4 plate Deadlift
  3. ???
  4. Profit!

To say I'm excited is an understatement.  I don't think I've ever been this healthy in my life.  I was always skinny growing up but never athletic in ability or appearance.  I can't wait to see what the next several months bring as summer comes along.  Maybe this year I won't be embarrassed to take off my shirt.

8FJGHBA.jpg

• Like 3
64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

well done

May Br0din bless you with mighty gains, and may your shaker bottle always be full.

Wheymen

...and, if you die...  Walk it off - Captain America

Level 13: 1/4 Giant Warrior

STR - 50 | DEX - 19 | STA - 19 | CON - 14 | WIS - 28 | CHA - 24

My food logging is here*: MFP: tyrsnbdr

Hey good job. We're on similar paths n terms of strength goals. I was also thinking about switching programs to Jonnnie's LP. What's your progress so far?

So far my progress hasn't be what I was hoping for, but I don't think it is the program.  I haven't been able to remain consistent from week to week which I know is affecting my strength gains.  With that being said asteticly I am pleased with how the program has more upper body lifts over SL so I certainly has noticed improvements there, if only minor.  I'm eating at a maintenance currently which I know will affect my progression some as well.  I'm going to stick with it through the summer though and enjoy being in medium shirts again. After summer I'll be looking at a 3/1 bulk/cut cycle to make the real gainz...

A side note, I have kept the weight off despite the fluctuation in my training and the 34" jeans I bought in January are fitting a little loose around the waist. :)

64%
64%

Get Deadlift to 405 lbs for 2x6 - Current 260 lbs  2/16/14

So far my progress hasn't be what I was hoping for, but I don't think it is the program. I haven't been able to remain consistent from week to week which I know is affecting my strength gains. With that being said asteticly I am pleased with how the program has more upper body lifts over SL so I certainly has noticed improvements there, if only minor. I'm eating at a maintenance currently which I know will affect my progression some as well. I'm going to stick with it through the summer though and enjoy being in medium shirts again. After summer I'll be looking at a 3/1 bulk/cut cycle to make the real gainz...

A side note, I have kept the weight off despite the fluctuation in my training and the 34" jeans I bought in January are fitting a little loose around the waist. :)

Good job bro. Keep making that progress and really appreciate you sharing your experience. I'll probably try doing the Texas method instead of trying jonnies program then. Was really looking forward to it though.