• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Virtuous Valentine Lifting Leviathan 2015!

The reults are in. Here are your champs:

The competition is over, and it's pretty clear who won all the things in Powerlifting. Tankweazel swept the event, winning all 4 powerlifting categories. Also, to my knowledge, this is the first 400+ Wilks total on NF. She wins the following (I'll PM you to work on details of titles and what you want from the store):

• The forum title "NF Power Lifting Champion"
  • The forum title "NF Squat Champion"
  • The forum titel "NF Bench Press Champion"
  • The forum title "NF Deadlift Champion"
  • A t-shirt or tank top from the NF store.

For weightlifitng, msuroo won this time around, sweeping the event.

• The forum title "NF Weightlifting Champion"
  • The forum title "NF Clean & Jerk Champion"
  • The forum titel "NF Snatch Champion"

All titles will have to be defended at the next virtual meet in order to be kept.

Original post below:

It's time for the first virtual competition of the year: The Virtuous Valentine Lifting Leviathan!

Awhile back, forum member Andy Gates came up with the idea that we do a virtual power lifting meet where everyone tests their 1 rep maxes in the big 3, and we compete for bragging rights. It was such fun that we decided to make in an official Nerd Fitness forum activity that we do every 4 months or so.

The competition will be held from February 7th until February 22nd. During this time, test your 1RM in the Big 3, which consists of squat, bench press, and dead lift. For the first time, we'll also be including columns for the weightlifting Lifts and having titles for those as well. The powerlifting and weightlifting lifts may be done on different days so that people who want to participate in both can put their best foot forward each time.

Spreadsheet/Scoreboard

Before you do your attempts, you may enter your name, gender, and a estimate of your body weight in order to sign up and declare your intent to compete. Do not enter any poundages for any lifts until you do them! This sheet is for results, not planning purposes. Also, enter the 3 attempts in the attempts columns, not the "best" columns. The sheet will do the rest of the work.

We're using kg, so just multiply by .454 if pounds are your arbitrary mass measurement unit of choice. The sheet includes calculations using the Wilks Formula for the powerlifting section, so we can judge across sex as well as weight. The person with the highest Wilks Score totaled from the Big 3 lifts will be the Nerd Fitness Powerlifting Champion.

Everyone is welcome here, of all classes, abilities, and levels of fitness. This is all for fun and the major reason we track it is so we have a record that you can come back and check your progress against later (ok, and bragging rights). Reporting is all on the honor system, but videos are encouraged!

The Prizes:

• The person with the highest Wilks Total will receive
    • The forum title "NF Power Lifting Champion". This title will have to be defended at the next virtual meet in order to be kept.
    • A t-shirt or tank top from the NF store.
    • The defending champion is Spezzy
  • The person with the highest Wilks Squat will receive
    • The forum title "NF Squat Champion". This title will have to be defended at the next virtual meet in order to be kept.
    • The defending champion is JDanger
  • The person with the highest Wilks Bench Press will receive
    • The forum title "NF Bench Press Champion". This title will have to be defended at the next virtual meet in order to be kept.
    • The defending champion is Flex Luthor
  • The person with the highest Wilks Deadlift will receive
    • The forum title "NF Deadlift Champion". This title will have to be defended at the next virtual meet in order to be kept.
    • The defending champion is Spezzy

Powerlifting Rules:

You get three attempts in squat, three attempts in bench press, and three attempts in dead lift, in that order. Standards are page 17-20 of this, but minus the judge participation. You must do all 9 attempts within the same workout. You're doing this on your own, so you're expected to judge yourself. You can also take a video of the attempts and post them here for us to judge (I usually do).

The best result from each of the 3 lifts is added to your total. If someone squats 240, 260, and 280, only the 280 is added to their powerlifting total.

Weight on the bar can not go down for a given lift, only up. I can not attempt 280, fail, then attempt 240. So pick a weight you know you can do for the first attempt on each lift.

You may compete in any of the individual lifts and not do others if desired, but you're BIG 3 total will be 0. There must be at least one successful lift in each of the Big 3 in order to have a qualifying total.

Weigh in on the morning of your lifts. This is the weight you use for the competition.

Generally the rules details would be IPF RAW, which means no squat or bench suits, no knee wraps; belts and wrist wraps are fine.

Weightlifting Rules

Weightlifting competition runs in the same fashion as a powerlifting competition. You get three attempts to establish a max snatch then three attempts to establish a max clean & jerk. Again similar to powerlifting, the weight on the bar can not decrease but you can repeat a weight after a missed first or second attempt.

All lifts must be performed from the ground - no hang or blocks - and the lifter must demonstrate control with the barbell fixed motionless overhead before safely dropping the barbell. Some of the other rules directly correlate to executing the lifts safely so here's a few automatic "red lights".

• No part of the lifter, other than their feet, can come into contact with the platform at any time.
  • The bar can not make any contact with the head or neck (other than the front rack during the clean). See also: no egregious press outs.
  • During the clean the elbows may not contact the lifters knees or legs.

Costume rules should follow the raw powerlifting guidelines.

Complete weightlifting rules can be found HERE.

Tips & FAQ: This will be updated as questions are asked

• USE A SPOTTER AND OTHER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS- We don't want anyone getting hurt. Use a spotter, preferably 2 (one on the each end of the bar) and safety bars on squats and a spotter on bench.
  • Take long breaks between attempts of the same lift so that you take each lift fresh.
  • Lift order is squat attempt 1, squat attempt 2, squat attempt 3, bench attempt 1, bench attempt 2, bench attempt 3, DL attempt 1, DL attempt 2, DL attempt 3
  • Take a weight on the 1st attempt on each lift as something you know you can get, such as what you can typically do for 3. and go from there to ensure you post a total.
  • Especially if this is your first time, chose weights you are confident in and try to complete all 9 attempts. This will help build confidence for future lifts and competitions.

Well, I'm getting to the point where it makes sense to measure my 1RM, so I think this will be fun. I know I won't place highly, because I don't lift that much for my BW yet, but it'll be a fun challenge.

• Like 1

This is during week 5 of my current program, I'm going to try to fit the 3 lifts in one day and then maybe just do accessories on the other days?

I don't know, but I finally wanna do one of these mock meets

• Like 2

In person? or are you gonna hide in my state? Yes, I am calling you out.

I'm going to defend it here in my warm, sunny state where the ground is dry and not covered in ice. :)

Woo! and the snow, whether i can actually drive the 7 hours down there. If i come down icedtrip should come over. Just sayin man. Barbells and beer and burgers. :)

Oh he'll never come over. I offered him up a free ride up to Boston last time and he didn't bite. But yeah, as long as it works out with our schedule, I'm all for it.

Perfect. This will help console me that the meet I wanted to enter in March is already full (even though I kept checking the website and they just said entry form coming soon!).