• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Virtuous Valentine Lifting Leviathan 2015!

Ooh! How did you get on?

I did ok! Not as well as I had hoped (onyl 1 PR, not 3), but for my first competition I wasn't sure what to expect. My 'in-depth' review is in my challenge page. Definitely a thrilling experience!

Did there used to be a thread for newbs on how to safely go about finding your 1RM?

I have no idea what a first attempt weight would look like compared to the weight in a training session.

(I tried searching, but the terms '1RM','one', 'rep', & 'max'... weren't terribly successful.)

Did there used to be a thread for newbs on how to safely go about finding your 1RM?

I have no idea what a first attempt weight would look like compared to the weight in a training session.

(I tried searching, but the terms '1RM','one', 'rep', & 'max'... weren't terribly successful.)

The current warrior mini challenge addresses this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Link for ease.

Also, a very simple formula that I use is the "Weight x Reps x 0.0333 + Weight = Estimated 1 RM"

For example, lets say I pound out 8 reps of squats at 250lbs.

250 x 8 x 0.0333 = 66.6

66.6 + 250 = 316.6

So my estimated 1RM is ~315lbs. 

• Like 1

What are your current work sets in the three lifts?

Work sets for tomorrow's workout:

Squat: 54.5 kg (still linear increasing)

Bench: 38.6 kg (<-- actually, Monday.  Tomorrow is Press day.) (just started increasing, been struggling with form)

Deadlift: 65.8 kg (just had to deload for missed reps)

novice, female, bodyweight somewhere between 76 and 78 kg... (high fluctuations, won't really know until weigh in on the lift day).

Thanks!  :)

Link for ease.

Also, a very simple formula that I use is the "Weight x Reps x 0.0333 + Weight = Estimated 1 RM"

For example, lets say I pound out 8 reps of squats at 250lbs.

250 x 8 x 0.0333 = 66.6

66.6 + 250 = 316.6

So my estimated 1RM is ~315lbs. 

Thanks!  :)  Do you feel that the formula gives a good estimate for most people?  The two factors I wonder about are that I'm very much a novice, and female.  (I think I've read that women have less difference between their work set and their 1RM, but I can't remember where, so I don't know if it was science or broscience...)

Work sets for tomorrow's workout:

Squat: 54.5 kg (still linear increasing)

Bench: 38.6 kg (<-- actually, Monday.  Tomorrow is Press day.) (just started increasing, been struggling with form)

Deadlift: 65.8 kg (just had to deload for missed reps)

novice, female, bodyweight somewhere between 76 and 78 kg... (high fluctuations, won't really know until weigh in on the lift day).

If it were me, I would do your first attempts at your work set weight or just slightly above. Get your confidence off on the right foot with singles you can most definitely make and then take small jumps from there based on how easy or hard the rep felt. If they are feeling pretty easy, I would overshoot the expected 1RM from calculators. If they are feeling hard, I would undershoot just a bit or go for right on the number.

You can use the calculators and percentages others offered as a guide, but it's really hard to say for a novice. Your strength increases so quickly and it's also difficult because you probably haven't done much practice with heavy singles, if any at all.

Which lift do I sacrifice to the token lift gods?  (Probably deadlift since it's about the same as my squat any way.)

Do I have to take 3 attempts, can't I just do one in each?

Do I have to do singles, can I take the figure from a set of 3, say a trebles bench with the first rep paused?

I ask because it just isn't the right time for me to be hitting heavy singles.

Thanks!  :)  Do you feel that the formula gives a good estimate for most people?  The two factors I wonder about are that I'm very much a novice, and female.  (I think I've read that women have less difference between their work set and their 1RM, but I can't remember where, so I don't know if it was science or broscience...)

So far, I've felt it's been pretty close.  And again, it's just an estimate, so it will at least get you the neighborhood of where you want.  And also remember, you get 3 attempts.  So if you calculate your estimate, then go about 90% of that for your opening lift and you absolutely annihalte it, bump up what you planned for attempt 2 and so on.

Which lift do I sacrifice to the token lift gods? (Probably deadlift since it's about the same as my squat any way.)

Do I have to do singles, can I take the figure from a set of 3, say a trebles bench with the first rep paused?

We aren't some federation with really strict rules. I'm fine with any and all of the above. If you lift a triple and want to just put that weight, fine by me. You'll still probably double up my Wilkes and I'll just be frustrated. :tongue:

• Like 1

Which lift do I sacrifice to the token lift gods? (Probably deadlift since it's about the same as my squat any way.)

You've competed, you know what the intent is, I'm fine with you using your judgement. Yes you can take less than 3 attempts on each lift. Yes you can take a number from a working set if you can't be doing heavy singles right now due to programming.

You've competed, you know what the intent is, I'm fine with you using your judgement. Yes you can take less than 3 attempts on each lift. Yes you can take a number from a working set if you can't be doing heavy singles right now due to programming.

I might log some fairly low single attempts then, just to be in on the game. :) 

I completed my lifts yesterday and posted my results on the spreadsheet. Where do I need to post the videos for each of my attempts?

No rules on that really. I usually compile them into one video and post it on YouTube, then embed the video right here in the thread.

No rules on that really. I usually compile them into one video and post it on YouTube, then embed the video right here in the thread.

Any recommendations on what to use for compiling all the videos?

You can actually do it on YouTube. Upload all the vids individually then edit into one. Otherwise I use VivaVideo on Android.

This is useful to know as this is the first time I'll be recording with my video camera instead of my phone. Are there also tools to add text?

This is useful to know as this is the first time I'll be recording with my video camera instead of my phone. Are there also tools to add text?

Yup, my competition videos all tend to be edited with YouTube.

• Like 1

I just use Windows Movie Maker.  It's pretty easy to work with and it's a free download if you have Windows.  In terms of a true Movie editor, it's pretty crap from what I've learned, but for adding some simple text and merging together a few videos, it's easy enough to figure out.  Once it's all done, I uploaded a single video to Youtube.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/movie-maker

**WARNING:  This video contains a slightly overweight male busting his ass and grunting like a gorilla in heat.  Yes... watching it now, it seems so exaggerated, but in the moment, I can't help it.  It feels right.  Just giving primal yells.  Sorry... apparently, it's what I do.  So yeah...  you've been warned.  Turn down your speakers. 

2/7/2015

Total time: 90 Minutes

Morning weigh-in:  217.6lbs (98.70kg)

Squat

• 315lbs (142.88kg)
  • 335lbs (151.95kg)
  • 350lbs (158.76kg, PR)
Notes:  Went 3 for 3 for the first time ever I think on Squats.  Knew I had 315 in the bag as I did 10 sets of triples at 295 the last time I really squatted heavy.  Tried the 2nd attempt without my jogging pants, but my breaks were long enough, I felt like I was getting cold.  Hence I just kept the pants on the rest of the way.  Also, no idea what was going on with the light on the 2nd rep.  Felt great to nail the 350.  Clearly something is going on with my right side though as the weight dropped on both the 2nd and 3rd attempt.  Not sure if the I'm just off centered or what.  

Bench

• 240lbs (108.86kg)
  • 250lbs (113.40kg, PR)
  • 260lbs (117.93kg)
Notes:  Went 2 of 3 here.  240 and 250 felt really good.  No struggles at all and didn't really expect any given I did a 265 TNG Bench not 2 weeks ago.  Really happy here.  Thought I had 260 in me, but it just wasn't meant to be.  Still not sad given I crushed my recent marks here.  Felt like my pauses were maybe a bit short, but again, maybe you more experienced people can speak up.  Going to keep hitting this hard in hopes of improving and maybe getting 1.25x Bench soon.

Deadlift

• 395lbs (179.17kg)
  • 405lbs (183.71kg)
  • 442.5lbs (200.71kg, HUGE PR!)
Notes:  Went 3 for 3 here.  Went really conservative on my second attempt as I needed 400 to hit the 1k pound club.  Hit it pretty easily at 405 and then just threw caution to the wind.  I literally loaded every plate I had in my basement onto the barbell.  And it went up.  So so pumped.  Good excuse to tell the wife we need more weight.   :)  I was so so pumped.  

Fun fact... you can hear my wife laugh about 90% of the way through the lift cause she thought I had no chance at it.  Then when the weight drops, you get to hear my kiddo start crying.  Apparently, weight dropping scares her.   :)

Total:  1042.5lbs (472.87kg)

Pumped that I finally broke the 1k barrier... and not only that but got a 200kg DL out of nowhere.  Previous PR was 183.71kg (or 405lbs), which also didn't even budge during the last NF Virtual Meet.  Improvements all around even if I was up nearly 8kg from my last weigh-in.  I'll gladly take it with this kind of improvement.

The entry for the PL portion. Just to be clear, I can do the Oly lifts on a different day correct?

• Like 2