• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Virtuous Valentine Lifting Leviathan 2015!

Isn't there still another week to go? ;-)

There had better be, or else I am going to have to do singles on Wednesday, and I don't want to do that. Well, maybe I do. That could be fun.

I have a question.

I've sprained my knee, and might not be able to squat for a week or two.

Can I curl instead?

I'd say only if you are an equipped curler; belt, knee and wrist wraps and fingerless gloves.
  • Like 1

I was going to sit this out because I only just started linear progression on squats and bench, but this looks too fun. I think I'll plan my lifts for next thursday, and use my workouts until then to better figure where my bench and squat 1rm might be.

Did we ever decide if there was going to be Titles awarded for the Weightlifting lifts?  Not that I have a chance in hell if anyone actually does anything.  Just more curious.

Well, I did it, and this marks the first time I've ever lifted for a 1rm. No videos, unfortunately, but I had the the guys at the gym judge if they were clean lifts.

Started off great with my squat: opened at 300lbs, and then flew through my second attempt at 315, before nailing my third attempt at 335. Everything felt great there.

Then Bench. Opened at bodyweight, 210, which I can do for reps (barely), then struggled but put up 225 (huzzah! two plates), before taking a nice rest and going for my final attempt at 235, which, much to my surprise, I ground out. It was actually smoother than my second attempt.

Then came my deadlift. Deads are normally my best lift, and I was really excited. I opened at 350, and pulled it with ease. Then I upped it to 385 and.. failed. Terribly. I just couldn't get my hips under. Tried again and failed again. Was completely gassed out.

So, this has been a lot of fun, and I'll use this information as I move forward to the next step in my training.

• Like 2

Well, I did it, and this marks the first time I've ever lifted for a 1rm. No videos, unfortunately, but I had the the guys at the gym judge if they were clean lifts.

Started off great with my squat: opened at 300lbs, and then flew through my second attempt at 315, before nailing my third attempt at 335. Everything felt great there.

Then Bench. Opened at bodyweight, 210, which I can do for reps (barely), then struggled but put up 225 (huzzah! two plates), before taking a nice rest and going for my final attempt at 235, which, much to my surprise, I ground out. It was actually smoother than my second attempt.

Then came my deadlift. Deads are normally my best lift, and I was really excited. I opened at 350, and pulled it with ease. Then I upped it to 385 and.. failed. Terribly. I just couldn't get my hips under. Tried again and failed again. Was completely gassed out.

So, this has been a lot of fun, and I'll use this information as I move forward to the next step in my training.

Everything here reeks of awesomeness.

Everything here reeks of awesomeness.

Except the deadlift. I knew for sure going in that I was going to be able to pull a 405 today. Back to the gym to train harder for the deads. Not that far off, I think. Might retry my max deadlift again next week without the heavy squats beforehand to see if I can get a more accurate max to train off of.

I just realized that I totaled at 920lbs. That is really close to the big 1k. New goal: find 80lbs in my big three.

• Like 2

Except the deadlift. I knew for sure going in that I was going to be able to pull a 405 today. Back to the gym to train harder for the deads. Not that far off, I think. Might retry my max deadlift again next week without the heavy squats beforehand to see if I can get a more accurate max to train off of.

I just realized that I totaled at 920lbs. That is really close to the big 1k. New goal: find 80lbs in my big three.

Yeah 1000 is my goal for 2015 too, lol pretty sure you'll hit it first.

I need to take a snapshot of the spreadsheet, as I'm currently 2nd overall, behind Rooks, and 1st in squat.  There is ego benefits of getting your lifts in before the big MFers who bench tree fiddy and squat/deadlift 500+ or the light MFers who bench 250 and squat/deadlift 450+, but weigh 153lbs. (I prefer the full curses but figured I would practice some self censorship).

Weigh in: 179lbs/81.18kg

Old PRs (in a mock meet):

Squat - 315lbs/142.85kg

Bench - 225lbs/102.04kg

Deadlift - 315lbs/142.85kg

Total - 855lbs/387.74kg

Very happy that I have the will power of a 9 year old boy and very easily give into peer pressure (looking at you DD).  Overall, really happy with the results, set PRs in 2 out of the 3 lifts.  Doing this at 6-745am, fasted with average nutrition beforehand makes me think I could have hit bigger numbers.

Squat - most weight I've ever had on my back before (not including yoke).  Form isn't pretty, but I don't think depth is an issue.  Hit a 20lb PR here.  Possibly had 5 more pounds in the tank.

Bench - wasn't looking to go crazy here, have been working on getting my bench back up, went ultra conservative with the attempts, pretty sure I left 5-10lbs on the rack.

Deadlift - I was running about 5 minutes over my "I need to get out of the gym" limit, so these were rushed.  Generally besides changing out plates, re-chalking, and grabbing some water there wasn't too much rest between sets.  Not overally happy with the form here, but its not horrendous. 10lb PR was achieved.

Squat: 115kg, 122.5kg, 130kg

Bench: 77.5kg, 81kg, 83kg

Deadlift (the sacrifice to the token gods): 100kg, 120kg, 130kg

If this had run a week later I'd have been into the start of peaking for my next comp and could have hit some singles instead.

The entry for the PL portion. Just to be clear, I can do the Oly lifts on a different day correct?

Sweet vids! 

Thanks.  Get yours up too and get on that leader board!

:( Maybe next time. Just did my first competition less than a month ago. Heavy singles aren't really in my program. :/ Ill enjoy from the sidelines!

:( Maybe next time. Just did my first competition less than a month ago. Heavy singles aren't really in my program. :/ Ill enjoy from the sidelines!

Even hitting reps, got to be in it to win it (or rank in this case.)

This would be fun, but I'm currently slaying the demon that is Dan John's 10,000 Kettlebell Swing program. I'll keep an eye out, hopefully the next virtual meet is conducive to the program I'm running at that time :D

I'm totally up for this despite the fact that I've just looked at the lifts so far and feel somewhat inadequate!  Still - it will give me something to look back on and say "remember when I could only squat 85kg" (which still seems really really heavy!).  Also feeling mildly depressed at being the oldest entrant so far - damm your youth :P  There should be extra points for being old.

I'm totally up for this despite the fact that I've just looked at the lifts so far and feel somewhat inadequate!  Still - it will give me something to look back on and say "remember when I could only squat 85kg" (which still seems really really heavy!).  Also feeling mildly depressed at being the oldest entrant so far - damm your youth :tongue:  There should be extra points for being old.

Actually, I believe Wilkes does include bonus points for being older.  Correct, Gains?

I'm totally up for this despite the fact that I've just looked at the lifts so far and feel somewhat inadequate!  Still - it will give me something to look back on and say "remember when I could only squat 85kg" (which still seems really really heavy!).  Also feeling mildly depressed at being the oldest entrant so far - damm your youth :tongue:  There should be extra points for being old.

Wildross usually competes, and he's in his 50s. But yeah, the whole point is self comparison. Tank is winner across the board this time I think, as I don't think Spezzy is going to compete and take deadlift, and haven't seen flex around to give her a run on bench. She's got us all on squat though, no competition there, yet.

Actually, I believe Wilkes does include bonus points for being older.  Correct, Gains?

Nope, it does not. That's something called the McCollough coefficient I believe. We used it early on in these, but it got to be too many coefficients and I dropped it. I need to look into adding it again though, as I think it serves a really good purpose.

Hiroyuki Isagawa took silver on bench press at the IPF Worlds in 2013.  He was 64 years old at the time.