• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Virtuous Valentine Lifting Leviathan 2015!

Glad I won't be the oldest then!

Having just turned 39 my new definition of mid 30s is 31-39 :P

I've only ever done sets of 5 reps before, having started stronglifts last October.  For my 3 attempts should I start at my 5rep weight and go up in 2.5kgs or start a bit higher?  I'm still on fairly linear progression so not sure what I'm capable of!

• Like 1

Hiroyuki Isagawa took silver on bench press at the IPF Worlds in 2013.  He was 64 years old at the time.

Keep it coming - I'm feeling younger by the second :P

Having just turned 39 my new definition of mid 30s is 31-39 :tongue:

I've only ever done sets of 5 reps before, having started stronglifts last October.  For my 3 attempts should I start at my 5rep weight and go up in 2.5kgs or start a bit higher?  I'm still on fairly linear progression so not sure what I'm capable of!

Look at the current warrior mini-challenge, explains everything.

• Like 1

I'd say only if you are an equipped curler; belt, knee and wrist wraps and fingerless gloves.

hahahahha!

winner of spezzy's completely random post of the day award :)

• Like 3

I'd say only if you are an equipped curler; belt, knee and wrist wraps and fingerless gloves.

hahahahha!

winner of spezzy's completely random post of the day award :)

I lift 4 days a week. On 3/4 of those days I always see this one guy who comes in, puts on a belt and fingerless gloves, and commences to dumbbell curls in the mirror. It is truly a sight to behold. To be clear, I have never seen this guy squat, deadlift, or do anything that would warrant a belt.

I lift 4 days a week. On 3/4 of those days I always see this one guy who comes in, puts on a belt and fingerless gloves, and commences to dumbbell curls in the mirror. It is truly a sight to behold. To be clear, I have never seen this guy squat, deadlift, or do anything that would warrant a belt.

I didn't know we worked out at the same gym! Lol come over and say hi, don't let my impressive curling form intimidate you.
  • Like 6

Having just turned 39 my new definition of mid 30s is 31-39 :tongue:

Thanks for joining me in the high 30's.  It was getting old teaching all these kids how to bench  :playful:

• Like 1

I have yet to convert this to KG, but here's what I did tonight. Went 9/9 and all PRs!

Bodyweight: 200.4

Squat: 365, 395, 425 (+10 PR!)

Bench: 225, 245, 260 (+5 PR!)

Deadlift: 365, 405, 455 (+15 PR!) holy shit that felt awesome. It was a complete slow grinder.

Total: 1,140 (+30 PR)

• Like 2

I did the thing!

This is my first time participating, and there's nothing super impressive here, but now I have some numbers down to compare with next time. And they're still PRs!

Attempts were:

Squat: 225, 250, 275

Bench: 165, 175, 185 failed

Deadlift: 280, 285, 290 failed

I forgot to actually take video of the first deadlift attempt. But I hit the 285, so it should be moot. I got the 290 to lockout, but I assume it's disqualified for meet purposes, because of that false start - it didn't break off the floor, but I had definitely begun pulling and then had to reset.

...this is going into Form Checks, too >.> My deadlift is a mess.

• Like 2

Did it! Obviously my total is nothing to brag about, but for a former endurance-monkey, I'm pretty pleased.... :)

Also got over my embarrassment about asking for a spotter on my last bench press 1RM. Probably wise, since I failed it....

Thanks for organising this, great motivation. :)

• Like 1

Got it in over the weekend. No PR's and legs sorta wonky but I hit within spitting distance of my PR's which is all I can really hope for given my frequency lately.

Squat - 202

Bench - 131

DL - 213

• Like 1

Did it - my first competition, virtual or otherwise!  

All PRs - not surprising as I've been lifting for 4 months and still on linear progression :P

Vid coming later today when I have a moment to edit/upload.

Weigh in - 69kg

Squat - 90, 92.5, 95(fail)

Bench - 60, 65, 70(fail)

DL - 105, 107.5, 110(fail)

• Like 1

I've been tracking the ranks in the spreadsheet over the last few days as more people have been inputting their lifts, and I'm not sure but I may have spotted a discrepancy that I can't unravel on my phone. Darwin's demon and myself are both males, around the same age, with not too dissimilar weights, and yet his wills coefficient is significantly different from mine. I can't see any errors in formulas, but as I said, I'm on my phone.

Is there any chance someone who knows better and can see the formulas better take a look and check to make sure I'm not just going crazy please?

Okay, no 1RM tries here.

I was thinking about doing the prescribed method today, but in the end, I was just getting back on track with linear progression, so I did my attempts for reps.

SQ: 86 (which is a PR at least)

Bench: 56 (which at least for reps is a PR)

and DLs: 108.5 (which sadly is far below where I once was^^)

I know it's nothing impressiv, but I wanted to put my mark down so I have something to compare it to if I go on doing the virtual competition thing :)

I've been tracking the ranks in the spreadsheet over the last few days as more people have been inputting their lifts, and I'm not sure but I may have spotted a discrepancy that I can't unravel on my phone. Darwin's demon and myself are both males, around the same age, with not too dissimilar weights, and yet his wills coefficient is significantly different from mine. I can't see any errors in formulas, but as I said, I'm on my phone.

Is there any chance someone who knows better and can see the formulas better take a look and check to make sure I'm not just going crazy please?

Checked the sheet. Your coefficients are only appart by about 10 points or something? Easily explained by DDs higher DLs. Did I miss something?

Okay, no 1RM tries here.

I was thinking about doing the prescribed method today, but in the end, I was just getting back on track with linear progression, so I did my attempts for reps.

SQ: 86 (which is a PR at least)

Bench: 56 (which at least for reps is a PR)

and DLs: 108.5 (which sadly is far below where I once was^^)

I know it's nothing impressiv, but I wanted to put my mark down so I have something to compare it to if I go on doing the virtual competition thing :)

Checked the sheet. Your coefficients are only appart by about 10 points or something? Easily explained by DDs higher DLs. Did I miss something?

I'm referring to the coefficient multiplier, which is based on a lifters weight and gender. DD's is .57 and mine is .79, but our weights are only .6kg apart...

I'm referring to the coefficient multiplier, which is based on a lifters weight and gender. DD's is .57 and mine is .79, but our weights are only .6kg apart...

When I last looked you were both .57. You MAY be confusing yours with the entry below yours. Which is understandable if you're on your phone

When I last looked you were both .57. You MAY be confusing yours with the entry below yours. Which is understandable if you're on your phone

It's definately .79 now...

Lol we may need a 3rd person here, I'm seeing .57 and person below you is .76. I don't see a .79 for anyone in the column

I just reloaded the sheet and it changed to .57...

And I just looked up the formulas independently, if I input my gender as female, the coefficient is .79...

Anyway, it's fixed now.

And I just looked up the formulas independently, if I input my gender as female, the coefficient is .79...

Anyway, it's fixed now.

Then all is well!

Anyway, it's fixed now.

the default formula it uses is the female one until it recognizes a "m" in the gender column. Sometime it takes a few reloads to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1