• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gainsdalf the Whey

The Virtuous Valentine Lifting Leviathan 2015!

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to get a title out of this since my lifts shouldn't even justify it a title.

That said, curious how you did the Sinclair points? I didn't think Sinclair had a gender neutrality co-efficient.  Again, not looking for a title and msuroo earned the titles this go around, just curious about future comps if we can get more people doing Oly lifts.

Consulted with jdanger and we said "close enough for gov't purposes" type of deal, though nwo that I'm looking at it, this is way off base. Open to suggestions. Perhaps normalizing it based on these tables such that the sinclair scores for both men and women are the same? This would basically be multiplying the women's coefficients by something like 1.43 to get their sinclair scores up around 475. We could call it something like the "NF" score. I don't know of any gender comparison metrics for weightlifting.

Seperate titles would fix it straight up, but participation doesn't merit having titles for each gender yet. I'm starting to consider it for PL though if we get 30+ participants each time.

Fair enough.  I know when I re-did the Oly Leaderboards, I just ended up making separate ones so I was curious how you had tied them back together. 

Also, 400 Wilks seems so far off... I would need a 450 Squat, 350 Bench, and a 550 Deadlift... at nearly 25lbs less body weight to pull off.  Jebus...

DISCLAIMER: I'm not trying to get a title out of this since my lifts shouldn't even justify it a title.

S'ok, my lifts don't justify a title either ;).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough.  I know when I re-did the Oly Leaderboards, I just ended up making separate ones so I was curious how you had tied them back together. 

Also, 400 Wilks seems so far off... I would need a 450 Squat, 350 Bench, and a 550 Deadlift... at nearly 25lbs less body weight to pull off.  Jebus...

Takes a long time. I started lifitng in 2011, but already had a strength base from when I lifted on and off for football in '02-'04. Even then, it's going to take me until at least mid to late 2016 to hit it. That's including basically taking 2014 off though, so I imagaine others might be able to hit it faster.

Also, remember that Tankweazel's numbers are things she hit for multiple reps in training (except for DL) and aren't even her true max numbers. Impressive indeed.

Takes a long time. I started lifitng in 2011, but already had a strength base from when I lifted on and off for football in '02-'04. Even then, it's going to take me until at least mid to late 2016 to hit it. That's including basically taking 2014 off though, so I imagaine others might be able to hit it faster.

Also, remember that Tankweazel's numbers are things she hit for multiple reps in training (except for DL) and aren't even her true max numbers. Impressive indeed.

I'm still using her as motivation
  • Like 1

Keep plodding on, each improvement is one step closer and celebrate every time you hit a bench mark.  (200 wilks, 250 wilks... and so on till you get there.)

Being lighter has it's advantage.  You very rarely see the bigger guys hitting the same kind of wilks scores as the smaller ones. 

Unless it's this monster...

We were all ready for Sergei Fredeseinko to get best male lifter again and Carl got it this year.

What a coincidence.  Like 99.9999999% of Scottish people I've also got distant Scandinavian lineage. :D

So that's what I've been doing wrong... no vikings in my family tree.

• Like 2

I do wonder how much my scottish heritage has helped me accelerate so quickly into lifting... although my physical build is more a match for my mothers side of the family (maybe english? I don't know, she's like 7th generation australian).

• Like 1

Come back in 4 months and try again then!

Can we get some party awards next time? Specifically, most improved (by wilks). It would be fun to see Grazer get that in 4 months.

Another award I would probably win, most out of whack lift ratios. Largest sum of squares of difference between individual lift ranks and total lift rank. My squat being so shitty, I could win that.

An award for closeness to arbitrary numbers. Like if someone got a 399.9 wilks total. Or posted a 199kg Deadlift. Or squatted 130kg at 66kg bodyweight.

Just some stupid fun ideas.

• Like 2

Damn this tendinitis.  I would (should) have placed pretty well.  One thing I noticed, is y'all are a bunch of kids.  Only two people over 40?  Holy hell.  I definitely have to heal up and get in the next one.

Also... Mostly Scottish from both sides of my family, a little bit of Polish from my mom's side, Dad's side gave me a Viking last name.  The genetic cluster among the warriors intrigues me.

nihms132060f1.jpg

This discussion reminds me of this figure from a paper my collaborator wrote a few years ago.

The main graph shows how the genetic similarity and self-reported ancestry of Europeans matches geography.

You can equate distance between points as dissimilarity.

Its a PCA for those in the know.

Edit: but yeah Scottish and Scandinavian are pretty close to each other.

My genes all come from the loose "Slavic" cluster on the top right. Polish, Slovene, and Croat.

• Like 1

Can we get some party awards next time?

Great idea.  I would add the Steve Rogers PS* Award for the lowest total wilks score - attract noobs like me with the potential to win an award!  Doesn't have to be prizes - just immortalized on a sticky thread somewhere (until the next competition!).

And being Scottish it seems I am destined for greatness (like I didn't know that already :P)

*Pre Serum

I agree with a most improved type of award.  I think there might be some people, including myself, that are not participating because throwing up low ass numbers is a bit...lackluster.  A most improved award might help with a better beginner turn out.

• Like 1

I agree with a most improved type of award.  I think there might be some people, including myself, that are not participating because throwing up low ass numbers is a bit...lackluster.  A most improved award might help with a better beginner turn out.

Good idea.

If it's going to help you guys, then sure, we can definitely do something like that if it's gonna help ramp you up. It's not REALLY about winning or competing with others. The USAPL competitions I compete in, I show up knowing I'm not winning anything. Most of the time, especially in bench, I'm lifting the lowest weight in my weight class every time. My deadlift is really the only thing that's respectable. Doesn't change the fact that I show up and compete. The point is to have a set date you're aiming for, that you have to improve for, that you base your training around getting stronger for. It's a motivator more than anything else.

• Like 2

Seems easy enough to implement.  Just copy names and Wilkes from previous sheet into the new one. 

As for the point of it, I can see both sides (what can I say, I'm a moderate).  Yes, putting up numbers and competing against ourselves is the point (especially considering that it'll be awhile before any of us catch Tank, if we ever do). 

That said, it's pretty disheartening to put up what you feel are good numbers only to see you are 100 Wilkes points away from even cracking the top 5.  Giving people another title to shoot for isn't really a bad thing, especially if we want more participation. 

• Like 1

Seems easy enough to implement.  Just copy names and Wilkes from previous sheet into the new one. 

As for the point of it, I can see both sides (what can I say, I'm a moderate).  Yes, putting up numbers and competing against ourselves is the point (especially considering that it'll be awhile before any of us catch Tank, if we ever do). 

That said, it's pretty disheartening to put up what you feel are good numbers only to see you are 100 Wilkes points away from even cracking the top 5.  Giving people another title to shoot for isn't really a bad thing, especially if we want more participation. 

I'll just enter fields next to the name entry part for PRs in each of the lifts and overall total and it'll calculate it. Titles will be something like "NF Up&Coming Squatter"? Open to suggestions on that one.

I'm with Gainsdalf, a meet is about proving your progress not beating everyone else or fancy titles. I'd prefer to have a tracker showing my improvement, so I don't have to go back and look at the previous meet data and see where I improved.