NF Armory

Hey all!

I wanted to start a thread to share any weapons us nerds are building. I'd like it to be a discussion place as well for anyone with questions.

I am currently building a bow for our fellow nerd alienjenn and wanted to share. I'll post pics once the project is done!

Sent by Captain's orders via raven

• Like 1

Level 8 Scottish Highland Assassin

Str 20/ Dex 10/ Sta 15/ Con 17/ Wis 20/ Cha 13

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

I'm so excited!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Fen.... yes!

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

I'm not one for much on building, but I can put a razor's edge on a blade.  Really.  I've shaved with straight razors that I sharpened myself, and removed bits of finger with kitchen knives that I sharpened.  (Onions are the most dangerous thing in the kitchen.)

If I didn't live in NYC, I'd love to learn forging and bow-making.

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

I spent last night in my parents' garage building a workbench so I can start building stuff again! 

In elementary school I whittled several wooden swords (for whacking around with my best friend... only one broken finger!). In high school, I was notorious for turning lightsaber hilts on the metal shop blade... and then fitting them with pvc/foam "boffer" blades. College was a hiatus... The closest I've come to weapons making recently is a draw knife I forged last time I was at the anvil!

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. -Aristotle

Arian, arian, zehetzen da burnia. -Basque proverb

Frisian Shieldmaiden level 12 (STR:16) (DEX:16) (STA:23) (CON:22) (WIS:17) (CHA:15)

Challenges: 11/12.14 - 1/2.15 - 2/3.15 - 15.4/5 - 15.6/7 - 15.7/9 - 16.1 - 16.3 - 16.4 - 16.5 - 16.10 - 16.11 - 16.12 - 17.1 - 17.2

2017 Goals: Maintain BW BS, 100kg DL - Muscle Up - 1/2 Marathon Condition - Abs

I would post a picture of my Biceps ..... but they are kind of unimpressive ATM .... despite how long I have been building these weapons 

I actually thought this might be a "Gun Show" thread. Disappointed that it's not ... >_>

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I actually thought this might be a "Gun Show" thread. Disappointed that it's not ... >_>

You could start one. ... we have a "flexing Friday" thing in the academy

Spoiler

Here's a start:

I started with this:

f97378976a55cbf685a75ecc5ea3a7b2.jpg

Then it became this: (My wife is 5' 7" for reference)

5dbdd76f2152e094714c98b04a8bbb67.jpg1ce7fffb97b743120631f60495a0530e.jpg

Now it's changing colors!

13c6d9a56b89f3b309723579adddfa24.jpg

I'll post more pics as I finish it up!

• Like 3

"Most of the things worth doing have been declared impossible before they were done."

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

Such excite!

• Like 1

Spoiler

@ captncid

...that is so damn cool that I don't know what to say.

I spent a good few years of my childhood trying to make bows, but they always broke! Eventually I stole the bamboo that made up my neighbor's fence* and made a bow that worked, but it was nowhere near as good as what you've made! =D

* If my neighbors happen to be on Nerd Fitness and are reading this, I'm really sorry. I assure you that I did feel guilty about taking the bamboo and it still haunts me to this day.

• Like 2

SugarRay Lycan - Monk

Level 4 - STR : 5 | DEX : 8 | STA : 3 | CON : 5 | WIS : 8 | CHA : 1

Challenges: No. 1 - No.2 - No.3 - No.3: SugarRay's Comeback Match.

Here's a start:

I started with this:

Then it became this: (My wife is 5' 7" for reference)

Now it's changing colors!

I'll post more pics as I finish it up!

Is it useful or purely ornamental? What's the draw weight on that?

Perhaps you could create a how-to on this in a separate thread.  And let me know when it's up. 

Searching the world for a cure for my wanderlust.

I'm on my phone and sharing links is hard. .. cid had me Google pvc bow. ...

It's a real bow. ... I think he said 35# draw (because I'm a noob)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Is it useful or purely ornamental? What's the draw weight on that?

Perhaps you could create a how-to on this in a separate thread. And let me know when it's up.

There are a ton of how to's on youtube for this, look up a channel called "backyardbowyer". Nick is the guy I follow for building these.

As far as if you can use it, here is a video of another one I built and my friend shooting it. The second video shows penetration.

https://vimeo.com/118281462https://vimeo.com/118281587

As far as step by step instructions, I'd encourage people to put them here if they are working on projects. The next bow I build I promise to take more pictures and do what I can to explain the process, and I still think the channel I mentioned above will be a better immediate resource for those that want to get started.

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

I'm on my phone and sharing links is hard. .. cid had me Google pvc bow. ...

It's a real bow. ... I think he said 35# draw (because I'm a noob)

It should come out between 30 and 35# draw weight, good for practice!

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook

Following. My husband really wants to make a bow, but he wants to do it out of wood. Both of us are interested in archery and would like to get our daughter into it someday (she's only 3 right now), yet neither one of us have really done much with it. I've shot a compound bow before and hated it, mainly due to the "instructor" being a teenager at a Y-Camp who seemed like she didn't want to be there. 

Kareesh

Halfling | Rebel

[Level: 1]

Current Challenge

Following. My husband really wants to make a bow, but he wants to do it out of wood. Both of us are interested in archery and would like to get our daughter into it someday (she's only 3 right now), yet neither one of us have really done much with it. I've shot a compound bow before and hated it, mainly due to the "instructor" being a teenager at a Y-Camp who seemed like she didn't want to be there.

My stepdad just gave me a book on how to make bows out of wood, perhaps I shall join you in that endeavor.

Daily Battle Log

My Fitness Pal

Fitbit

Facebook