• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
TeaKwonDo

Cross-conditioning for taekwondo

Hello Assassins!

Former assassin here, just picked up taekwondo over the summer and my current conditioning workout isn't cutting it anymore. Roundhouse kicks require allllll the glutes, and my normal thing of doing allllll the pistols has been way too quad dominant. Plus it's wreaking havoc on my MCL (if that's what it's called? The tendon along the inside of the leg. It's super tight atm and doing lots of yoga to balance it out.)

TKD is pretty leg-heavy in a snappish cardio way. Should I just aim for low reps of lower body work for strength? It's always too tempting to go into high rep mayhem just for the "burn", else I feel like I'm not working hard enough.

Help?

I see no one has answered. If you're still around, what is the problem? I can't really figure from your post.

I'll make a general answer anyway, in case it is useful for someone else too.

In TKD you're going to need a strong core and upper body in addition to the legs. Planks, side planks and hollow holds are good warm-up exercises.

Try these exercises: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62483012/Slynge.png

Top left to bottom right: One legged hamstring curls, "superman", rows, push ups, "omega", dynamic side plank

I don't do TKD but I'd say the general kicking mechanics are similar to Muay Thai.

What I found most helpful were unilateral leg work, plyometrics and core stability (particularly anti-rotational).

Is there any reason why you'd limit your conditioning to bodyweight exercises, or are you also open to using some free weights?