Steve & his slipped disc rehab onto a better life

Hi

First off, to skip a lot of the explanation, please check http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/59904-hi-im-steve-thisll-be-a-long-one/ for my introduction to NF.

Secondly, this is going to be a really slow take my time sort of ordeal, i have a lot going on in my life and i won't be posting every day, HOWEVER, i try to keep food logs on my phone so i will update when i get the chance.

So, here we go.

I am attempting to move over to the Paleo diet, my long term goal is to cut my body fat down to a healthy level, ideally i want to get into lifting but depending on my health and doctors advice that may take a while.

While i am trying to move to the paleo diet, im still slipping a bit but it being my first week or so on the diet, im not punishing myself too hard. As time passes by and i learn what i like recipe wise, this should change.

Exercise wise, for the past week and a half i have been attending the gym mostly every other day, at the moment, under doctors orders, i am only allowed to walk and do core exercises with no weights.

My walking consisted of walking on a flat over 3 - 4 KM and durations lasting around 45 minutes.

The last couple of visits i have increased the incline to get my heart rate up to about 160 - 170, first i started with 4 degrees and kept my heart rate above 160 for about 10 minutes, yesterday i used a 6.5 degree incline and kept my heart rate at 160 for around 20 minutes.

The core exercises i am doing are using a medi ball, just sitting and lifting my feet around 2" off the ground and tensing my stomach to use my core to stabilize myself.

Also i have been doing zero weight squats as i do a lot of bending and such at work and this is also a prelude to me getting back to doing weights in a few months.

Overall, i am pretty happy with my progress considering i've never been a very active person. My weight at the moment has fluctuated from 19st13 last week to at the moment being 20st3, i dont know weather this is due to the change in diet or what but im going to keep an eye on this.

Also im sorry for the terrible formatting here, i WILL find a format i like and keep this thread up to date as i've already mentioned.

So anyway, cya!

Steve

So I've been to the gym twice since the last post, here's what I did:

Treadmill, walking at 4.8 kph, uphill at 6.5% incline, first ten minutes was flat to warm up, following twenty was uphill and a constant heart rate of 160-175, then another ten or so minutes to cool down on a flat at around 3.5 kph. For now I'm going to refer to this exercise as the staple as its the main thing I can do really, I have an appointment with a personal trainer to show me some new core exercises and stretches for my legs and back.

Ten single foot raises on the medi ball using a tensed core to stabilise myself, alternating feet.

Ten outstretched leg raises on the medi all using a tensed core to stabilise myself, alternating feet.

On all fours, 10 single arm and leg raises, moving onto opposite arm and leg raises using core to stabilise

For now that's pretty much all I am capable of doing. The great news is I went back to work today for the first time in four months off sick. I am only doing mornings at the moment to ease myself back in, but boy does my back know I've been busy today.

I'm settling into a good regime of gym day, rest day, and I think I'll keep it like that for now.

Diet wise I've been pretty good, the odd Alice of bread or five per day here and there, however yesterday was cheat day at Pizza Hut with friends and oh my can I tell the difference with my body, every other day when I have gone to bed I'm asleep in fifteen minutes and wake up rested and feeling good, last night post pizza but was the worst sleep ever, and it took me two hours to fall asleep!

One other thing I want to document is the following, my eliminations (poo's) are a nice colour and length, however they have started floating, I have never had floating ones before, if anyone has taken the time to read this, is this normal when moving onto the paleo diet and exercising moderately?

Thanks if you read it :)

Just wanted to drop in and say that i will be following this. No advice from me on the workouts, because im just beginning myself and i think its really tricky giving advice to someone who just had surgery.

Good job on the Paleo diet! Oow and no great advice on the floaters  :rolleyes-new:

Just keep going!

... a little odd in the head ...