Seriously, though, I can't. But I'm going to learn.

First things first.  :redface-new:  I'm an 18 yo, 1,70m (5' 7'') and with a 21 IMC. I've never been overweight, but a couple of years ago I lost weight very quickly and got down to something like 49 kgs, which was a big shock - mostly to myself. Since then, I've put on the weight back, but it hasn't come back as just muscle, unfortunately.

I'm not a fan of fast food and I do eat pretty healthy, but what you would consider a "normal" diet. Not Paleo, not vegan, etc. I do try to eat a minimal amount of carbs, though. I didn't use to be a big fan of exercise - and running, even though I do it from time to time, isn't something I truly enjoy.

And I've just signed up at a local gym, but I'm feeling a little intimidated by the bulky, ripped guys that lurk around the weight area. I have the upper body strength of a ten year-old, and at this point just don't know where to start!

Any help would be appreciated! I'm in this for the long run! (no pun intended, still hate running :panda: ) 

• Like 2

Most important thing to do as a beginner is forge some consistency!  Nearly any program you choose will work, so long as you stick with it.  Down the road you can tweak things around as you see fit.  For now though, pick a program you like and get lifting.  Spend a few weeks on it and focus on discipline above everything else.

This site has a few programs you could do.  If you like barbells, you could also look into Starting Strength or StrongLifts.

Also, you won't feel as intimidated once you become more comfortable with your own workout.  Everyone is too focused on themselves to take much note of anyone else.

• Like 3

Seriously good advice from JPrev.  You might also check out the "women specific" portion of the forum to realize you aren't the first person, male or female, to be intimidated by the weight section, or its regulars, and you won't be the last.

Everyone started somewhere and built up to where they are now - including folks like Spezzy who warms up her squats with more than my max weight, or Danica who rocked out 100 strict form pushups (a feat of which I'm so insanely jealous).

I started off afraid of the gym. I'm still somewhat shy about lifting in busy gyms, but being a woman in the free weights area automatically makes you a badass. No matter how much you're lifting.

Starting out so slim and light you're free to ride the gainz train with lifting and not have to worry about losing weight whilst you do so. You can expect to see much faster progress than those of us who were trying to lose a lot of weight.

I started out with StrongLifts, but there are a good variety of beginner programmes to suit all needs. 

Where are you based? Given you're using kg and cm, I'm assuming not the USA. :)

• Like 4