• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Arkarian

Quick Q regarding - Bolthouse "Green Goodness"

Anyone know if this is considered Paleo? Doesn't look like it would be, but i'm fairly new to this. 

Ingredients

Pineapple Juice from Concentrate (Water, Pineapple Juice Concentrate), Apple Juice from Concentrate (Water, Apple Juice Concentrate), Mango Puree from Concentrate (Water, Mango Puree Concentrate), Banana Puree, Kiwi Puree, Spirulina, Natural Flavor, Chlorella, Zinc Sulphate, Green Tea, Spinach, Broccoli, Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid), Barley Grass, Wheat Grass, Echinacea, Garlic, Blue Green Algae, Jerusalem Artichoke, Lemon Bioflavonoid, Nova Scotia Dulse.

Is it due to added sugar? I was worried they were hiding it behind "concentrate" and "puree" labels.

Thanks for the response!

The problem with juices is you get all the sugar, with very little of the other parts. So like the apple juice, you don't get many, if any at all, of the nutrients that would be found in the apple itself.

That said, I still drink juices as an occasional break from all the water/tea I drink... I just make sure to account for it by eating some extra fruits/veggies.

Whether or not it's paleo, if you are trying to limit calories, you should limit juice. That juice has 140 calories in 8oz - Coke has 140 calories in 12oz. That juice has more sugar per oz than Coke (though there's a lot of rounding that goes into nutritional labels). Now, you do get some protein and fiber from it, and it probably is more nutritious than run of the mill juice. But Juice is something that seems at least somewhat healthy that really isn't.

When it comes to sugars, it's not so much whether it's an "added" sugar, it's whether it's a "free" sugar. And juices are a form of the latter, where, basically, you're getting all of the sugar in a fruit (or veggie), but not a lot of the good stuff (nutrients, fiber, etc).

I do drink a little bit of juice from time to time (usually cut with sparkling water), but not because I think it's healthy :)