• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

OrangeBeanie

Not seeing physical change

Quick question that may be very vague!

My wife and I have been doing Paleo for 3 weeks now (yay!) and we've noticed our energy levels are up and our clothes fit better in some areas.

It's just weird because we took pictures when we started and even though we feel different in clothes and in general, our photos last night didn't look any different really :/

My wife has lost 11lbs but you wouldn't know just by looking at the pictures.

Is this normal? When do people normally see physical results? It's been almost a month so maybe I'm jumping the gun but I just figured I'd ask around!

First off, congratulations on having results!  Whatever you're doing, it's clearly working.  "Seeing" the results, whatever that might mean to you, could take another month or so, provided you stay on track.  Keep in mind, you won't lose the fat evenly, so some places will seem to improve faster than others.  Depending on what you're looking to "see," you might also need to throw in strength training.

Tape measurements are excellent ways to objetively monitor progress.  "Seeing results" is extremely subjective; when looking in the mirror, it's easy to convince yourself nothing has changed or, worse, things are backtracking.

• Like 1

First, 11 pounds is far more significant weight loss for someone starting at 90 pounds than someone starting at 300.  So depending on where she started, there may not be a whole lot to notice just yet.  However, 11 pounds in a month is significant weight loss, for sure.   

Second, as a really broad-brush rule of thumb, it generally takes about two months of consistent application of good dieting principals before you actually notice anything yourself.  It takes about three months for other people to notice.  Don't ask me why, it's pretty consistent though across just about everybody.

Finally, the scale alone is a terrible indicator of success or failure in fitness.  The fact that the clothes are fitting differently is proof-positive that things are changing.

• Like 3

Thanks!

I'll keep another month in mind and we'll have to take some more pictures. I do measure my waist because it's part of my criteria for physical fitness in the military, but measuring other places would be helpful too I think. Plus I think it's a quest in the academy to do so : P

I know the scale is terrible since you have no idea about body fat % or muscle mass, I just know it makes the wife feel better. She's a little over 300lbs so seeing the numbers fall is really motivating to her. We'll have to work on making other indicators (like tape measure and clothes) just as motivating.

Another thing to keep in mind, especially if changing from a relatively high carb diet to something resembling low carb Paleo, is there is often a fairly dramatic plunge in weigh as the water stored by your previous carb intake is purged due to no longer needing it.  I think I have restarted Paleo about three times now, and each time have seen roughly 10-15lbs of lost weight in the first month, and rarely results in much of a physique change (I'm usually floating around 220-230lbs).  That comes after a couple of months of sticking to the lifestyle change and further exercise.

yup, I echo the above ... the 1st month I saw nothing .... by the end of the second month, I still had moobs and a belly .. BUT now I had skinny arms and legs to make it look worse.

3-4th month is when it all started coming together and my torso started loosing the fat.