• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

It's funny how the ultimate goal creeps up. 

I know that feel. When I first started lifting, and specifically trying to gain weight, my end goal was 210lbs. I weigh 210 now, and am not even considering pausing in my bulk. 230 seems like a much better goal.

My deadlift goal from before has now switched to my squats, and been passed. Now I'm shooting for BW goals. I just crossed BW Bench, 1.5 BW Squat, and I am shooting for that 2BW Dead (a little way off.) However, once I get there, I can't see myself wanting to stop there. 

I guess I will always just want to be stronger.

My long goal is 1350 @ 165, something like 475/275/600. I want to go to Raw Unity someday.

Yeah, that's an awesome acheivement if you manage it. I'd need to get to a 1774 total @ 274 to qualify. By the time I hit 1700, there's no way I'll be able to make 242 unless I'm Dan Green ripped.

Yeah, that's an awesome acheivement if you manage it. I'd need to get to a 1774 total @ 274 to qualify. By the time I hit 1700, there's no way I'll be able to make 242 unless I'm Dan Green ripped.

And Dan Green juicy?

Given that 1000lb totals are pretty unusual for even elite women but pretty achievable for guys around 200+lb who lift fairly regularly, what's the equivalent of the 1000lb club for women?

Looking at the Wilks, 1000lb at 209lb for a guy is only about 282 Wilks but 494 Wilks for a 62kg woman... Just a tiny difference there!

That's an interesting question. I think for a lot of guys there is a built in goal of really wanting to squat 3 big plates per side, bench 2 plates, and DL 4 plates, which leads to 945 lbs. No real reason for that except just feeling cool by having another big plate on the bar. Did you, as a woman, feel like there was some arbitrary bar amount you really wanted to get to when you started? If I had to guess, maybe something along the lines of 100 KG/75/150? Does that sounds about right? That would be just over 700 lbs.

ETA: I just went over to check the Starting Strength boards lifter rankings. There were 18 females on those boards ranging in ability and the average of their PL Total was 689.62. Largest was way ahead of the rest with 1115 and smallest was 482. Average weight was 155.

Given that 1000lb totals are pretty unusual for even elite women but pretty achievable for guys around 200+lb who lift fairly regularly, what's the equivalent of the 1000lb club for women?

The sample size of women who lift heavy is so much smaller than that of men that it we probably don't have a good idea about whether 1000 is really that far out of reach for most women who lift. 

The sample size of women who lift heavy is so much smaller than that of men that it we probably don't have a good idea about whether 1000 is really that far out of reach for most women who lift. 

It's not really true, the amount of women at a given lifting meet is typically 30-50% of the men, a more than large enough sample size.

According to my statistics classes, as long as there are at least 30 women who lift, that's a valid sample size :tongue:

Kind of tongue-in-cheek here, but absolute sample size (in this case, easily thousands) is more important than whether another group happens to be bigger. Of course, it's hardly a random sample, which is a source of skew. But if anything we'd expect top-level athletes to be skewed higher than average (the people with worse-than-average muscle insertions or etc aren't going to become record-setting powerlifters).

It's not really true, the amount of women at a given lifting meet is typically 30-50% of the men, a more than large enough sample size.

The key words there are "at a meet."  

The gender ratio at a meet is not reflective of the gender ratio in the overall population of people who lift heavy.  There are any number of reasons why women may be over-represented at meets.

Meteoric's post snuck in while I was writing this - To build on what he said about skew - Gender issues have such a monumental impact when it comes to women and weight lifting that it's virtually impossible to untangle everything enough to get any kind of decent analysis, especially in a message board thread. Especially in a message board thread that isn't even about gender issues in lifting! :)

I think for a lot of guys there is a built in goal of really wanting to squat 3 big plates per side, bench 2 plates, and DL 4 plates, which leads to 945 lbs. No real reason for that except just feeling cool by having another big plate on the bar.  Did you, as a woman, feel like there was some arbitrary bar amount you really wanted to get to when you started? .

For me, the answer is yes.  I've always wanted to easily bench with the big plates on the bar, so that's 135 pounds.  When I started squatting and deadlifting, it was the same.  I feel kind of puny not being able to do it, and I do "feel cool" when I can load more on.  But I think that attitude is unusual for women. 

I'll second that the 3 plates/2 plates/4 plates sentiment.  I've done the first two and hoping to do a 4 plate pull by the end of Spring.

At 2V2L, I just ecked into the 900 club, which is funny, cause I cared about 800 and didn't think about 900 at all, I've just been focused on getting to 1000 sometime soon.

I'll second that the 3 plates/2 plates/4 plates sentiment.  I've done the first two and hoping to do a 4 plate pull by the end of Spring.

At 2V2L, I just ecked into the 900 club, which is funny, cause I cared about 800 and didn't think about 900 at all, I've just been focused on getting to 1000 sometime soon.

You and I have very similar lifts, although I have 30lbs on you, so yours are a bit more impressive, I think. How tall are you?

Well, that explains why I have 30lbs on you: it's spread across 10 inches.

Lol listen here you tall(er than me) bastard...

Haha but yes that would explain the weight difference and why you want to keep the bulk going.

That's an interesting question. I think for a lot of guys there is a built in goal of really wanting to squat 3 big plates per side, bench 2 plates, and DL 4 plates, which leads to 945 lbs.

I honestly think a 2-plate press, 3-plate bench, 4-plate squat, and 5-plate pull is achievable for any +200 male somewhat serious about lifting.

• Like 1

I honestly think a 2-plate press, 3-plate bench, 4-plate squat, and 5-plate pull achievable for any +200 male somewhat serious about lifting.

I agree with you. I was just trying to think of where I thought I wanted to be when I began - something comparable to the idea of the 1,000 lb club.

• Like 1

I reached it without realizing, damn pounds I'm used to kg.

bench: 240

squat: 330

deadlift: 440

a grand total of 1010. Time to aim for the 500kg mark :D

ps: this is at 202lbs bodyweight :)