• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

VVLL puts me at 874.5lbs @ 276.4lbs bw.

And maybe I'm just insane, but my lifetime goal is to crack 1500lbs. Preferrably before I turn 36 (currently 31 and I've been lifting for 5 months). Only real problem is I'm cutting at the same time because I don't want to be 200+lbs anymore

VVLL puts me at 874.5lbs @ 276.4lbs bw.

And maybe I'm just insane, but my lifetime goal is to crack 1500lbs. Preferrably before I turn 36 (currently 31 and I've been lifting for 5 months). Only real problem is I'm cutting at the same time because I don't want to be 200+lbs anymore

1455 is a Raw Unity qualifying total at 198. Fuck the 1k club... I'll race to Raw Unity.

• Like 1

i didn't know about the qualifying ranks for any international powerlifting comps until I mentioned it as a goal, and I only picked it because it seems like a truly elite total. I imagine most men who train for strength with any half decent program with at least a modicum of discipline hit 1000lbs eventually. But 1500? Not so much. and I've always like to stand apart from the crowd.

• Like 1

You need to be top of your weight class in your country rather than hitting a set number.

Haha, depends on the country! The average US state population is more than all of Scotland. So I think for an American, a relatively close comparison is to top your weight class in your state. The same with Junior's Australian states.

i didn't know about the qualifying ranks for any international powerlifting comps until I mentioned it as a goal, and I only picked it because it seems like a truly elite total. I imagine most men who train for strength with any half decent program with at least a modicum of discipline hit 1000lbs eventually. But 1500? Not so much. and I've always like to stand apart from the crowd.

Its kinda funny to see such disregard over a milestone by saying any guy can half-ass his way to it. Yet you haven't reached that milestone yet. I would say that its insulting to those taking it seriously in this thread, but since all of them have half-assed it closer to 1000 than you have, its just kinda funny instead of insulting. 1000 comes way before 1500, last I checked.

Haha, depends on the country! The average US state population is more than all of Scotland. So I think for an American, a relatively close comparison is to top your weight class in your state. The same with Junior's Australian states.

Regardless of the size of your country, it has the same number of spots for international competition.

Also, my country (at an international competition level) is the United Kingdom, not Scotland.

Finally, the population of Australia is only four times that of Scotland and less than half that of the UK. Not sure what the relevance of states is there.

Its kinda funny to see such disregard over a milestone by saying any guy can half-ass his way to it. Yet you haven't reached that milestone yet. I would say that its insulting to those taking it seriously in this thread, but since all of them have half-assed it closer to 1000 than you have, its just kinda funny instead of insulting. 1000 comes way before 1500, last I checked.

Not meant to be insulting, nor am I disregarding the 1000lb goal, and as for how far away I am, I've only been lifting for a very short time with no athletic background at all so my current total had precisely 0 relationship to what other people's current total is.

The only reason I'm no taking the 1000lb goal as seriously as others is the number of people who acheive it. The list is massively longer than the list of people who reach 1500lb.

So if anyone was offended, I do apologise, it wasn't my intention, just trying to explain that my goal has nothing to do with qualifying for any competitions.

What's the big whoop about Raw Unity?

I'm aiming for IPF World Classic. ;)

It's cross-fed, with the goal of having the best RAW lifters there are, regardless of fed, compete there. It's supposed to be the cream of the crop for RAW lifting, even more so than worlds for a given fed.

Regardless of the size of your country, it has the same number of spots for international competition.

Also, my country (at an international competition level) is the United Kingdom, not Scotland.

Finally, the population of Australia is only four times that of Scotland and less than half that of the UK. Not sure what the relevance of states is there.

The point is that its a lot harder to make it onto the team in the US because there's so much competition, specifically because there are the same number of spots for more people. It's one of the reasons the U.S., China, and Russia dominate in the Olympics, larger pools of athletes make it more likely to hit on the best there are, period. When it comes to getting on the team, a talent level that might make it on a team in a smaller country with less lifters might not stand a chance of making it onto the national team here. The state vs country point was on this. It's like if there was a "western European" team as your goal vs UK, there's a whole lot more top level competition and a less realistic chance of getting there.

Not trying to take anything away from you to anything, it's just how the statistics work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.

Not meant to be insulting, nor am I disregarding the 1000lb goal, and as for how far away I am, I've only been lifting for a very short time with no athletic background at all so my current total had precisely 0 relationship to what other people's current total is.

The only reason I'm no taking the 1000lb goal as seriously as others is the number of people who acheive it. The list is massively longer than the list of people who reach 1500lb.

So if anyone was offended, I do apologise, it wasn't my intention, just trying to explain that my goal has nothing to do with qualifying for any competitions.

Apology accepted :)    I definitely thought you were poopooing on the 1,000 lb goal. Even if a lot of people hit it, it is still admirable, and something a very small percentage of the population will every reach....

Following that logic, the list of people who has achieved 2000 lb. is even shorter than 1500 lb. so why take 1500 lbs seriously?

So short that at lower weight classes, it's never been done. 1000 lbs is a solid milestone, but for males >150 lbs, it's one that should be surpassed within a few years of training. I don't agree with "poo pooing" it like he did, but I can understand setting your sights beyond it from the get go.

It really does come down to what you personal weight is how "elite" of a total you are looking for as far as what your lifetime total goal is. This is why Wilks is so much more useful than straight weights. It rises above the weight classes. 400 Wilks? You will likely place at most state meets and not embarrass yourself at nationals. 450? You'll get noticed at nationals. 500? You will medal at nationals and can start thinking of doing well internationally. These are ballparks pulled out of my rear since I'm in a training class and can't easily Google the actual numbers. Please don't nitpick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the big whoop about Raw Unity?

I'm aiming for IPF World Classic. ;)

Arbitrary rules about gear branding, drug use, and rule 14.9 bother the piss out of me. I'm going to dead-end the conversation on the topic right now because we don't need yet another thread getting dominated by the IPF and steroid circle jerk.

Well, coming from the misconception that your country was Scotland, Australia only has 7 states. Exclude Tasmania and the western barren desert states, and you have a close comparison of population size.

It's cross-fed, with the goal of having the best RAW lifters there are, regardless of fed, compete there. It's supposed to be the cream of the crop for RAW lifting, even more so than worlds for a given fed.

The point is that its a lot harder to make it onto the team in the US because there's so much competition, specifically because there are the same number of spots for more people. It's one of the reasons the U.S., China, and Russia dominate in the Olympics, larger pools of athletes make it more likely to hit on the best there are, period. When it comes to getting on the team, a talent level that might make it on a team in a smaller country with less lifters might not stand a chance of making it onto the national team here. The state vs country point was on this. It's like if there was a "western European" team as your goal vs UK, there's a whole lot more top level competition and a less realistic chance of getting there.

Not trying to take anything away from you to anything, it's just how the statistics work.

My point was that it may change the numbers required but not the requirement itself. Whether you're from a country of 1.5 billion or ten million, each country has the same number of places.

I have long ways to go, but then i have yet to be able to stick to lifting for more than 4 weeks straight and this is my 1st week back after a 2month hiatus. Hoping this time goes a lot better.

Anyways my 5x5 working weight for the 3 lifts are

Squats: 110

DL: 190

BP: 170

(don't ask why my squat is the lowest, its the one i spend a crap ton of time doing form work on)

So 1RM calculators put me at

Squats: 128

DL: 221

BP: 198

soooo... a little over halfway to go.

I was in a meet in December and ended up with a 860 total. So I'm not to terribly far off. My latest training maxes have me at

Squat     303

Bench    227

Deadlift  361

Total      891

At least I'm moving in the right direction.

• Like 3

Actually, coming back to Gainsdalf's suggestion that RAW Unity is better than the World championships for any federation, given that it's a North American meet that rather overlooks the fact that not all the best powerlifters in the world are North American and not all the best lifters in North America will choose to lift at RAW Unity.