• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I've had to delete 3-4 posts thus far, this is the last warning. Anyone else continue down the "boys' club" thread on conversation in any way, serious or jokingly, will be banned until the admins get around to unbanning them.

Those of you using this thread for its positive purposes, I apologize for what it spun into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had to delete 3-4 posts thus far, this is the last warning. Anyone else continue down the "boys' club" thread on conversation in any way, serious or jokingly, will be banned until the admins get around to unbanning them.

Those of you using this thread for its positive purposes, I apologize for what it spun into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the first and only forum I've ever been apart of so sometimes I forget that we aren't immune to being a of the interwebz and the stupidity that sometimes ensues.

I'm just gonna start doing strictly yoga. Everyone is super zen there, right?

Question for you all, I know it might have been a while since you had the numbers I've had. I'm currently looking for a goal, that's worth going for in which the reward to myself is a nice 3 piece suit, not a walmart special but something high quality.

How long would you estimate it's taken you to get from here:

Squat 5/5 @ 160 LBS

Deadlift 1/5 @ 235 LBS

Bench 5/5 @ 100 LBS

to the 1000 pound club? I don't know what my max is, it'll be hard to get that since I have no spotters.

Question for you all, I know it might have been a while since you had the numbers I've had. I'm currently looking for a goal, that's worth going for in which the reward to myself is a nice 3 piece suit, not a walmart special but something high quality.

Squat 5/5 @ 160 LBS

Deadlift 1/5 @ 235 LBS

Bench 5/5 @ 100 LBS

to the 1000 pound club? I don't know what my max is, it'll be hard to get that since I have no spotters.

My lifts all started out higher than that (due to previous history of lifting in high school for football/being a big dude). If we use the common estimate of your 5RM being 85% of your 1RM, we get that your total is somewhere around 495/0.85=582. I'd imagine 600 since you're doing those 5s for multiple sets. Somehting like 750? You could also calculate your wilks score and find a nice round number that's coming up.

Squat 5/5 @ 160 LBS

Deadlift 1/5 @ 235 LBS

Bench 5/5 @ 100 LBS

A ton of variables, but a guess would be 2 years of solid focused lifting without suffering an injury. 

My lifts all started out higher than that (due to previous history of lifting in high school for football/being a big dude). If we use the common estimate of your 5RM being 85% of your 1RM, we get that your total is somewhere around 495/0.85=582. I'd imagine 600 since you're doing those 5s for multiple sets. Somehting like 750? Youc ould also calculate your wilks score and find a nice round number that's coming up.

Thanks for this, one question though.

Ok... so this wilks score, mine calculates at 139.50, from what I can find it's used to compare power lifters of differing body weights. How does this fit in with my weight lifted? or is it a whole separate number?

A ton of variables, but a guess would be 2 years of solid focused lifting without suffering an injury. 

Ok... to 1000 LBS is out for now, maybe look at 7-800 then, that might be more reasonable. Thanks.

Ok... so this wilks score, mine calculates at 139.50, from what I can find it's used to compare power lifters of differing body weights. How does this fit in with my weight lifted? or is it a whole separate number?

Ok... to 1000 LBS is out for now, maybe look at 7-800 then, that might be more reasonable. Thanks.

To explain a bit more, essentially what he was doing was using this formula:

Weight x Reps x 0.0333 + Weight = Estimated 1 RM

So for you, your estimated 1RM currently would be:

Squat:  185

Deadlift:  275

Bench:  115

So a total of 575.  But like he said, that formula works on a single set basis.  So because you are doing multiple sets at that weight, you might be closer to up around 650 total. 

As for the Wilkes portion, you're correct.  It's a way to compare lifters of various weights with one another.  It's basically a ratio of weight lifted versus how much you weigh in some complex formula (see here).  Hope that helps.

To explain a bit more, essentially what he was doing was using this formula:

Weight x Reps x 0.0333 + Weight = Estimated 1 RM

So for you, your estimated 1RM currently would be:

Squat:  185

Deadlift:  275

Bench:  115

So a total of 575.  But like he said, that formula works on a single set basis.  So because you are doing multiple sets at that weight, you might be closer to up around 650 total. 

As for the Wilkes portion, you're correct.  It's a way to compare lifters of various weights with one another.  It's basically a ratio of weight lifted versus how much you weigh in some complex formula (see here).  Hope that helps.

Total sense that makes... looks like I might need to try a max rep then. If I'm near 650, then 7-800 isn't that far off for me, and maybe 1000 is a legit goal...

That article is what I found on Wilks... it didn't clear much up for me. :-)

Thanks for the help.

You get a multiplier called your wilks coefficient (here is a table to find yours more easily) based on your bodyweight, and that is multiplied by your total in kg.

wilks score=wilks coefficient*PL total in kg= wilks coefficient*.454*PL total in lb.

For me, at 260 lb, my coefficient is .5773. My wilks score is .5773*.454*(495+310+575)=361.4

And a further point, you don't really need to worry about Wilkes for personal stuff.  If you are just looking to get strong enough to move a certain amount of weight, it doesn't matter. 

We use it in our competitions so that we can compare lifters easily, but if your personal goal is 1k, just lift heavy, eat big, sleep a lot, repeat.  :) 

Squat 5/5 @ 160 LBS

Deadlift 1/5 @ 235 LBS

Bench 5/5 @ 100 LBS

I don't know how much this helps, but my numbers looked like that 1 1/2 years ago. I'm probably a month away from 1000. I'm at 975#

I'm 6' 0", currently 275#, age 30 going on 31 this month.

I had no major injuries, but there were some periods, a month here and there where I fucked around too much, and didn't take lifting seriously.

We talked about it earlier, but I really like wilks for personal goals because I'm losing/gaining weight so often. Sometimes when I lose weight, my toals go down. However, my coefficient goes up. As long as my wilks goes up, I got stronger lb for lb.

Total sense that makes... looks like I might need to try a max rep then. If I'm near 650, then 7-800 isn't that far off for me, and maybe 1000 is a legit goal...

That article is what I found on Wilks... it didn't clear much up for me. :-)

Thanks for the help.

I think 1000lbs is a legit goal for a lot of guys and you're no exception. With that said, don't worry about messing around testing your rep maxes Judging from your working sets I'd wager you're on StrongLifts, keep at that and worry about testing a rep max when you're substantially stronger.

Right now you're still learning how to handle that weight and trying for a heavy single could be potentially dangerous since you're not sound enough technically yet. I would probably total in the low 900s right now but I haven't put more weight on the bar than what my intensity day calls for, for the most part. 

You get a multiplier called your wilks coefficient (here is a table to find yours more easily) based on your bodyweight, and that is multiplied by your total in kg.

wilks score=wilks coefficient*PL total in kg= wilks coefficient*.454*PL total in lb.

For me, at 260 lb, my coefficient is .5773. My wilks score is .5773*.454*(495+310+575)=361.4

I'll make note of that as something to keep track of, your other post on getting stronger lb for lb made sense...

I don't know how much this helps, but my numbers looked like that 1 1/2 years ago. I'm probably a month away from 1000. I'm at 975#

I'm 6' 0", currently 275#, age 30 going on 31 this month.

I had no major injuries, but there were some periods, a month here and there where I fucked around too much, and didn't take lifting seriously.

Awesome... A year is about what I was looking at for my finish line, I wanted something far enough out that I would test my mentality, but close enough that it didn't take forever to get there.

I think 1000lbs is a legit goal for a lot of guys and you're no exception. With that said, don't worry about messing around testing your rep maxes Judging from your working sets I'd wager you're on StrongLifts, keep at that and worry about testing a rep max when you're substantially stronger.

Right now you're still learning how to handle that weight and trying for a heavy single could be potentially dangerous since you're not sound enough technically yet. I would probably total in the low 900s right now but I haven't put more weight on the bar than what my intensity day calls for, for the most part. 

Correct on the Stronglifts, and duly noted.

I have never tried a 1RM before. I would like to see how close I can get by the next virtual competition.

Current working weight:

Squat: 5x5 @ 230lb

Bench: 5x5 @ 265lb

DL: 3x5 @ 235lb

I have never tried a 1RM before. I would like to see how close I can get by the next virtual competition.

Current working weight:

That's a big relative bench!

Have you tried a 1rm calculator like this one

I did my first 1rm recently and the figures were pretty spot on.

Current working weight:

Full on bench bro, dude?

Oooo.  I'm not close, but a helluva lot further along than I ever expected I would be.  Tested my 1RMs (mostly) this past Saturday before I started doing 5/3/1 this week for programming.

Squat: 260

DL: 425

Bench: 225

Total: 910

Yea, I need to work on my squat.  Should be so much better.  Ach.  Welp, hopefully 5/3/1 will tackle my issue there.

Oooo.  I'm not close, but a helluva lot further along than I ever expected I would be.  Tested my 1RMs (mostly) this past Saturday before I started doing 5/3/1 this week for programming.

Yea, I need to work on my squat.  Should be so much better.  Ach.  Welp, hopefully 5/3/1 will tackle my issue there.

You and I are going to be really close in total, very similar bench. With the caveat that my DL is a bit lower and my squat is a bit higher. I figured when this whole thread was blowing up I'd total somewhere in the low 900's as well. Here's to hoping we get to 1000 soon!

• Like 2

Oooo. I'm not close, but a helluva lot further along than I ever expected I would be. Tested my 1RMs (mostly) this past Saturday before I started doing 5/3/1 this week for programming.

Yea, I need to work on my squat. Should be so much better. Ach. Welp, hopefully 5/3/1 will tackle my issue there.

What kind of assistance work are you doing?

Also, do you squat low or high bar?