• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

You and I are going to be really close in total, very similar bench. With the caveat that my DL is a bit lower and my squat is a bit higher. I figured when this whole thread was blowing up I'd total somewhere in the low 900's as well. Here's to hoping we get to 1000 soon!

Hell yes!  We got this!

What kind of assistance work are you doing?

Also, do you squat low or high bar?

Right now I'm being incredibly lazy and using this 5/3/1 calculator to do my programming, doing 5/3/1 twice a week.  The assistance work it has me doing is chin ups, back raises, dumb bell rows and bench presses and rear laterals, dips, and good mornings.  Also apparently curls.  Didn't catch that before. (Awww, I can get my Bro on.)  Probably should start doing more mobility work at home, too, now that I think of it. 

As for positioning, squatting high bar.  Honestly, the squat number is mostly low because of mental issues, rather than physical, though I've had a few leg issues that made me wary to squat.  Sloooooowly over coming those worries.  My squat likely is higher, I just don't trust the people at my gym to spot me in case things go wonky.  I meant to get Nerds to both look at my squat back in November, but kinda got side tracked PRing my deadlift that night... 

Hell yes!  We got this!

Right now I'm being incredibly lazy and using this 5/3/1 calculator to do my programming, doing 5/3/1 twice a week.  The assistance work it has me doing is chin ups, back raises, dumb bell rows and bench presses and rear laterals, dips, and good mornings.  Also apparently curls.  Didn't catch that before. (Awww, I can get my Bro on.)  Probably should start doing more mobility work at home, too, now that I think of it. 

As for positioning, squatting high bar.  Honestly, the squat number is mostly low because of mental issues, rather than physical, though I've had a few leg issues that made me wary to squat.  Sloooooowly over coming those worries.  My squat likely is higher, I just don't trust the people at my gym to spot me in case things go wonky.  I meant to get Nerds to both look at my squat back in November, but kinda got side tracked PRing my deadlift that night... 

Sounds good. I was gonna recommend good mornings. I recently started programming them in (and curls) seriously, and over one cycle my squat and deadlift each shot up 30 lbs.

I also had a similar lack of mental toughness on squats until recently. Then I just pushed through some tough reps one day and bam! But I haven't had any serious injuries that have really worried me about squatting. I just realized I wasn't pushing hard enough.

• Like 1

My gym has a shirt that says "1,000 lb club" on it, I have been striving to get it just so I can have the shirt  :pride: . I haven't done a legit 1RM since high school because in college the coaches wouldn't let us for "safety reasons". I haven't had the gym staff watch me on the big 3 lifts but here are the numbers:

Squat-335lbs

Bench-275, I did it for a set a 2 yesterday so I know I can lift a little more

Dead lift-455lbs

1,065 total! I'm barely over but it's cool to know I can do it.

edit: I am also 298 lbs according to the scale yesterday morning. I'm in the process of losing weight.

• Like 2

Woo hoo!  I hit the half-1000 lb club today!

Actual, not calculated:

Squat - 200 (1 rep)

DL - 185 (3 reps)

Bench - 115 (3 reps)

Total: 500

I've been doing this for less than 10 weeks, so I'm more than a little bit happy with that.

10,000-Ounce Club, here I come!

• Like 6

Ok, ok, I want in... I weight 360 now. So I need to gain 640 lbs... oh, wait..this is about lifting... ok, still in

I haven't actually lifted in over two years. Oe or two days at the gym in that time, half assing it doesn't really count.

I'll have to take a awhile to gather up my max lifts, given the hip/groin injury, that may be a bit.

• Like 2

I'm in this sounds sweet, just have to let my left arm relax some more before getting the heavy lista on again. I'm really choose to getting a mild infection.

This is what i got so far:

Squat: 242lbs

Bench: 198 lbs

DL: 374lbs

Still 200 more to go, I am hoping on 286 in squat, 231 bench and 429 dl at the end of my current program.

This is a goal I can behind.

But it's going to have to be metric for me being Australian. So I'm going to get in the 453.592 kilo club  

Long way to go. For these things do they count the weight of the bar or just the plates?

• Like 1

So quick question on calculating 1RMs.  All the calculators I've found ask for weight and reps, except that the reps usually doesn't go past 10.  Does it mean reps per set?  Or total reps for that exercise?  I typically do a 5x5 for deads, squats, and bench, so 25 total reps of each.  How does this crap work? 

:D

So quick question on calculating 1RMs.  All the calculators I've found ask for weight and reps, except that the reps usually doesn't go past 10.  Does it mean reps per set?  Or total reps for that exercise?  I typically do a 5x5 for deads, squats, and bench, so 25 total reps of each.  How does this crap work? 

:D

Typically the idea is that it's a single set until failure.  So normally you'd warm-up then attempt a weight that you know you could do more then 1 rep of but less then 10.  That said, don't over think this crap.  Realistically, if you are doing 5x5, use your working numbers and aim for that being your 2nd 1RM attempt.  So for example... let's say you are doing sets of 200lbs in your Squats right now.  Formula I use is:

Weight x Reps x 0.0333 + Weight = Estimated 1 RM

So...

200 * 5 * 0.0333 = 33.3

200 + 33.3 = 233.3

So if it was my first session at attempting a true PR, I'd probably go something like this.

First attempt:  225

Second attempt:  240

Third attempt:  250 (less or more depending on how the first two felt)

Again this is just an example and it's not an exact science.  And if you knock out the 3rd attempt and it still feels light... go for a fourth and maybe a fifth if you feel up to it.  Don't be afraid to fail (assuming you have a power cage or good safeties on a squat rack).

• Like 2

As many reps as you can do for that exercise at that weight in one set.

I don't think it would be too accurate if you can lift 10+ reps. I'd find a weight where you can hit probably 3-8 reps.

For a first attempt at a 1 RM, you can use your 5x5 weights and go from there, but it probably will be a massive underestimate.

• Like 1

I'm clearly late to the party here, and it seems that a lot of the original thread members have left (yes, I read this from start to finish and was wildly entertained by it), but if we're still doing that 1000# club bit in here, I hit:

Squat: 345

Bench: 235

Deadlift: 445

Total: 1025

That was on 28 Feb at my first powerlifting meet. I was pretty pleased about it. Next goal is 1200. I don't expect my bench to ever get very high, since I never work it, but I can probably get it up to 275, since I do a lot of overhead work and then make up the rest of the difference in squat and DL.

Edit: Wilks = 307.41

• Like 1

I'm clearly late to the party here, and it seems that a lot of the original thread members have left (yes, I read this from start to finish and was wildly entertained by it), but if we're still doing that 1000# club bit in here, I hit:

Squat: 345

Bench: 235

Deadlift: 445

Total: 1025

That was on 28 Feb at my first powerlifting meet. I was pretty pleased about it. Next goal is 1200. I don't expect my bench to ever get very high, since I never work it, but I can probably get it up to 275, since I do a lot of overhead work and then make up the rest of the difference in squat and DL.

Gah!  You guys always make me feel bad about my deadlift lol

Gah!  You guys always make me feel bad about my deadlift lol

My deadlift was a weakness for a while...then I bought a weight belt. Now I can get away with a lot more back rounding without injuring myself, and so I deadlift more.

But it's going to have to be metric for me being Australian. So I'm going to get in the 453.592 kilo club  

Well considering my 5RMs add up to over 500kg, I guess I'm well and truly in the club  :rolleyes-new:

Count me in!

Iam aiming at blowing past 1000 pound at a power lifting style challange I have with some co-workers that is due to take place in december. My aim at that time is something like 1070 lb actually, so I might make 1000 before then in whatever cirtual NF-meet comes along!

Glad to have a place to read about the awesome work that is being put in by all the nerds on the site and, off course, to add my name to the list!

• Like 2