• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

My point was that it may change the numbers required but not the requirement itself. Whether you're from a country of 1.5 billion or ten million, each country has the same number of places.

The UK doesn't even use all it's places and often National Champions are told that their total just isn't high enough yet.  I can think of 3 cases of that from Scotland in the past year alone, one of them got on the reserve list though, and then got selected as she was the highest ranking reserve once nominations came out.

The only comp that being a GB champion will automatically get you a place at is the Western Euros.

Not to mention that the top 3 ranked female lifter in the UK all weigh roughly the same so turns at moving weight class are taken so they all go to internationals.

Well I've got my first 1rm total of 579lb so heading for the 10,000oz club.

Once I hit that there'll be no stopping me....

After you hit that, 715lbs is the 10,000,000 half-grain club. I got your progression all lined up for you buddy.

• Like 4

Gainsdalf is at the edge of the 100 stone club! Clubs everywhere like the NSA!

I thought it was only the UK that used stone?  And even then it's really only used in reference to body weight.

Non-metric units are for use by anyone dumb enough to want to use non-metric units. Don't try to claim them all for yourself. I am American, I have a natural born right of stubborn dumbness to use the stone unit of weight all I want.

• Like 1

Coming back to my first post, I think my biggest objection to this "club" on Nerd Fitness is that it is basically a club for men.

A few of the very, very top raw female powerlifters in the world in weight classes over 132lb or 63kg total over the 1000lb mark, but it's not something that is a realistic goal for the vast majority.

Nerd Fitness is usually a pretty egalitarian site. Sexism, racism and homophobia tend to be shot down pretty quickly, except for this little club of self-congratulatory mutual masturbation.

So pat yourselves on the back for your big achievement in reaching 1000lb, but remember that you're still being humped on Wilks by little girls (and somewhere out there Kimberley Walford and Jennifer Thompson are warming up with your max).

• Like 1

Coming back to my first post, I think my biggest objection to this "club" on Nerd Fitness is that it is basically a club for men.

A few of the very, very top raw female powerlifters in the world in weight classes over 132lb or 63kg total over the 1000lb mark, but it's not something that is a realistic goal for the vast majority.

Nerd Fitness is usually a pretty egalitarian site. Sexism, racism and homophobia tend to be shot down pretty quickly, except for this little club of self-congratulatory mutual masturbation.

So pat yourselves on the back for your big achievement in reaching 1000lb, but remember that you're still being humped on Wilks by little girls (and somewhere out there Kimberley Walford and Jennifer Thompson are warming up with your max).

I'm ok with this as long as women get their equivalent 600lb club.  I've seen that 600lb seems to be considered and equivalent land mark for the testosterone challenged.

...this little club of self-congratulatory mutual masturbation.

So pat yourselves on the back for your big achievement...

But in an effort to include you in the self-back-patting and circle jerk, I thought of the 10,000 ounce club just for you :-(

It even has one more zero.

Seriously though, I believe this thread got started because there are several of us already acquainted with each other who all happen to be roughly the same short distance away from this completely arbitrary number that has more to do with the one and four zeros than with any relevant fitness measurement. The ultimate purpose is a burst of group encouragement for progression by means of competition. Definitely nothing to do with sexism.

Don't take it so personally. No reason to ruin a perfectly good circle jerk.

• Like 6

Well, coming from the misconception that your country was Scotland, Australia only has 7 states. Exclude Tasmania and the western barren desert states, and you have a close comparison of population size.

It took me a lot longer than I care to admit, but I just realised you are talking about me here... (Western barren desert states meaning anything not directly east coast I assume)

This has to be one of the most condescending posts I have seen on NF. This thread was created by me simply because I saw others closing in on the 1,000 lb mark and decided to start a thread. It is certainly not an NF official "club".

I'm ok with this as long as women get their equivalent 600lb club.  I've seen that 600lb seems to be considered and equivalent land mark for the testosterone challenged.

Like I said, it's not like this is an official club. I'm a regular forum member trying to foster some encouragement. If you want a "600 lb club", by all means go ahead. It is literally a click and a few keystrokes away. I would happily cheer you on to your goal. In the end that is what Nerd Fitness is supposed to be about.

This has to be one of the most condescending posts I have seen on NF. This thread was created by me simply because I saw others closing in on the 1,000 lb mark and decided to start a thread. It is certainly not an NF official "club".

Like I said, it's not like this is an official club. I'm a regular forum member trying to foster some encouragement. If you want a "600 lb club", by all means go ahead. It is literally a click and a few keystrokes away. I would happily cheer you on to your goal. In the end that is what Nerd Fitness is supposed to be about.

Seriously, it's a fun milestone to hit for male lifters and tons of gyms across the world have similar boards for lifters of both genders. Start a 600lb club and move on. 

And not to take anything away from the undeniably awesome females here and all over but the Wilks isn't perfect either and has been demonstrated to slightly favor the lighter classes. An effect that's enhanced by comparing super light females to heavier males. It's far from the absolutely objective standard some think it to be. Again, not that that would change much especially here with some of the super awesome female lifters we've got but in the context of that post it was a pretty cheesy shot to fire.

I guess at the end of the day my point is, chill it out and create the aforementioned club for the women. I didn't read the whole thread but I suspect everyone in it understands they aren't setting the world on fire with their 1,000lb totals. At least not now ha.

Regardless of intentions, it is a boys club and, yes, that gets my back up.

Can I make a suggestion?  And please do take this in the spirit that it is intended which is not to incite you, but to try to put some perspective on things:  Take a deep breath and quit looking for a reason to be offended.  

Let's get a firm grasp on reality for a moment.  Big men have the capacity for the most absolute strength, period. It's not only genetics and gender, it's physics.   Newton's third law and all that.  Smaller, lighter people have more relative strength, period.  

An ant can carry a couple times its body weight over its head, where an elephant can not.  No one argues which has more absolute strength, that would be foolish.  There is room for debate which is more useful.   There is no amount of wishing for it to be different that is going to change that.  

I'll never be able to slam dunk a basketball, but I'm sure as hell not arguing that the hoop needs to be lowered so I can.  Nor would I suggest that people who can do it don't so my feelings don't get hurt.  Nobody is diminishing your accomplishments because you're unlikely to hit a combination of 1000 pounds on the big three.   You're a fraction of my size, why on earth would anyone expect you to have the same capacity for absolute strength?  Again,  at its core, it's laws of physics.  

I think the work you're doing (and have done) has been inspiring.  I really do.  I get the impression that you're committed and knowledgeable.  I admire that.  But that doesn't mean I'm not going to push the limits of my abilities so that I don't  surpass you in the amount of weight I lift.   That's just... foolish.

Nobody is trying to hurt your feelings or exclude you from something, this is a group of people with the physical (you know, like per the laws of physics) capacity to reach a milestone who are trying to encourage each other to do it.  It's not about you.  Why try to make it that way?

• Like 1

Scott Yard is benching more than I can deadlift. Spoto benches more than I'll ever deadlift. Benni Magnusson has deadlifted more than I total right now. I guess I should just pack it in.

For fuck's sake stop being so vitriolic and making this about how women are oppressed by men being able to total bigger.

• Like 1

Wait, what? I think you are reading a little much into this. We know that y'all kick our asses at this. This is just about a few novice/early intermediate lifters who all happen to be around the same numbers getting excited about a very achievable goal and then starting a friendly competition about who can get there first. No one expects you to be putting up the same numbers as someone 1.5 times your size, and frankly, no one cares. For actual comparison, if we want to do that, we have the Wilks and other objective things. This is just fun, and I'm having a hard time seeing what you are getting so worked up about.

• Like 1

Never did I say that you shouldn't have goals or aim for numbers but having an exclusive club for a set number which is basically impossible for a whole gender is pretty much a penis-waving exercise.

So if no one had said the word "club" you'd be happy? I still don't understand the problem. It's not an exclusive club, that's just a phrase we use. It's a goal that's pretty reasonable for the 105kg weight class that we are excited about trying to reach.

Seriously though, I believe this thread got started because there are several of us already acquainted with each other who all happen to be roughly the same short distance away from this completely arbitrary number that has more to do with the one and four zeros than with any relevant fitness measurement. The ultimate purpose is a burst of group encouragement for progression by means of competition.

This.

I think for a lot of guys there is a built in goal of really wanting to squat 3 big plates per side, bench 2 plates, and DL 4 plates, which leads to 945 lbs.

I'll second that the 3 plates/2 plates/4 plates sentiment.

And This.

I honestly think a 2-plate press, 3-plate bench, 4-plate squat, and 5-plate pull is achievable for any +200 male somewhat serious about lifting.

I'm nowhere close to this yet, so my goal is a few more lines up from that, more specifically the 3-plate squat is that I will be working on for a bit.  What I like about a goal like this is I can find people here who are trying to get a similar goal.  That some of them weigh a lot less and are more advanced than I am does not matter - We still get to compete.

I called one person around here a big game hunter for that.  He wants to win the race to 4 plates.  He might win.  He might not.  I want to see the race to 5 plates!  All of a sudden, the big guy gets his 4 plate pull like it is no big deal and starts stacking on the gains.  There is fulfillment when this happens - and I want to be there when it does!

Here is a question I will throw out:  The difference between my Deadlift and Squat is more than 100 pounds, 50 kg specifically.  Some numbers I see there it is a 10 kg difference.  I have not put together why.  I am trying my best to fix my squat.

Actually, coming back to Gainsdalf's suggestion that RAW Unity is better than the World championships for any federation, given that it's a North American meet that rather overlooks the fact that not all the best powerlifters in the world are North American and not all the best lifters in North America will choose to lift at RAW Unity.

It's goal is to bring RAW lifters together across federations and be the most competitive meet in North America, that's the point of it. It welcomes international lifters as far as I know. It's a good goal to set because it's an open, open to anyone who has a qualifying total, which are set extremely high, as to only draw the best of the best. Making it matters only on what the lifter achieves, not if there's anyone better than that person who also qualifys to make it. It's attainable based only on the work we put in, there's no other excuse for not hitting it.

Never did I say that you shouldn't have goals or aim for numbers but having an exclusive club for a set number which is basically impossible for a whole gender is pretty much a penis-waving exercise.

For fuck sake SS, it's not an actual club. It's an arbitrary milestone that people fist bump about hitting in every weightroom I've ever been involved in. All that is happening here is people within reach of some arbitrary milestone cheering each other on. That's it.

Saying this is a boys' club and having an issue with it is like having an issue with me saying I'm in the 6' club. I qualify by being 6'. That doesn't make "the club" (not actually a club, just like this) discrimatory against women because they're less likely to hit it due to statistically being shorter on average, hence being less likely to make it. This in no way makes it a boys' club. No one is saying everyone isn't welcome here. No one is discounting you or anyone else's achievements, progress, or goals.

I'm honestly surprised to see all of this from you, someone I've always seen as encouraging to everyone else when it comes to strength.

Further posts calling this a boys' club or negatively taking away from the purpose of the thread, encouraging each other to push our strength limits further and our goals, will not be stood for. Please don't continue.

And now I'm pissed and in a shitty mood because I had to put my mod hat on. Time to go eat a damn Snickers.

• Like 1