• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

FoxtrotOff

4 weeks of paleo.. And I'm putting weight ON???!

Hey guys

So I recently decided to switch to a paleo diet, in the beginning I was pretty much only going mostly paleo with some cheats like bread and beans etc.

When I began around four weeks ago I was 19st10, the lightest I've ever weighed, in the first week I ballooned up to 20st3 and then started losing again till I was back down to 19st13 mid week last week.

Last week I was very very constipated and as of this week (yesterday) I am now 20st5...?????

I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I am currently rehabbing from surgery and I'm at the gym three to four times a week depending on my back and I thought I was doing really well...

My general diet consists of the following:

Breakfast: four eggs, scrambled.

Lunch: sausage, bacon, eggs, peas, mushroom, sweet corn (if I'm hungry at all, which generally isn't often)

Dinner: chicken breast skinless, chicken leg+thigh, pork spare ribs, pork steak, home made 20% mince burgers, sausage, basa fillets, peas, sweet corn, mushrooms.

Liquids: water, cordial+water, some soda at home on an evening.

I don't eat all of the above at once, generally for big meals I have 1-2 prices of protein and veg. For example last nights dinner consisted of 2 chicken legs and thighs, roasted in sunflower oil with lemon juice and salt to taste with mushy peas and mint sauce.

I don't understand it really. And it's getting me down a bit.

Subjectively I do feel better in myself, my energy levels, while my body is capable, are good, I'm sleeping better and waking up better in the mornings, I'm just concerned that I'm this far in now and I'm not seeing any weight loss fr this diet plus exercise.

To give some perspective I had a slipped disc and was unable to walk for better part of a year and I still lost weight down to 19st10 so you can see why I am concerned being on a new diet and exercising and not Losing any weight.

Thanks

You don't give portion sizes but usually if you're gaining weight it's because you're eating too many calories.

That said, you do understand that weight loss isn't linear and constipation can mean you weigh more because there is literally shit stuck in your system?

Also, whilst I'm not the greatest fan of paleo, corn and sunflower oil aren't paleo.

Tl;Dr: Try reducing your portions and/or tracking your calories. Paleo isn't a magic bullet to lose weight if you're still eating more calories than your body needs.

• Like 3

Well the good news is - to put on a whole stone in 1 week, it isnt fat ..... its water / bowel contents.

Looking at your diet though, the only veg you seem to seem to be eating is mushrooms and sweetcorn and some peas.

not enough veg and loads of protein will block you up quick time ! So eat more veg, lots of it .... Learn to love Broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, asparagus, kale, chard, greens, spouts, eat them, eat them all and eat lots of them

for dinner, have that steak ... and have it with a brocolli ..... or have stirfried chicken and green pepper and avocado, but instead of rice have it with cauliflower rice.

you need more fibre, you need more veg ..... a Protein poo will rip your insides out.

so drink water - lots of it ... eat veg, lots of it .... make sure you are getting enough protein

Sadly im VERY picky when it comes to veg, however when you guys say im having a few peas im having around 2 100g tins of pea's, I didn't know sweetcorn was bad as the diet said veg, either way, ill knock that on the head.

In regards to calories, I am having around 2500 per day, I don't take anything off for exercise im doing so that way I know I am specifically at a caloric deficit.

Also liquid intake is 2-6L per day, with a high amount of that being water, I have a 2L bottle at work I usually drink in the mornings and afternoons. I have been careful to make sure I am taking in the correct amounts but the diet doesn't seem to be affecting me as much as I thought it would.

I've been through the carb flu and I feel a lot better but I was sure I would see some sort of result other than mental by now.

Either way ill carry on another 30 days and see how it goes, if im the same weight by then I think ill just go to IIFYM

Thanks

Sadly im VERY picky when it comes to veg, however when you guys say im having a few peas im having around 2 100g tins of pea's, I didn't know sweetcorn was bad as the diet said veg, either way, ill knock that on the head.

Regardless of whether you're IIFYM or Paleo, you need to learn to like vegetables. Being "picky" about vegetables doesn't actually fit well with either diet (paleo because they're the key staple other than meat and IIFYM because you need them to hit fibre and micronutrient goals, which are actually pretty important). 

Basically, stop relying on TINNED peas and force yourself to start eating like a grown up. 

Yes, this is harsh but eating like a picky child is hardly the way to have a healthy body as an adult. 

• Like 3

In regards to calories, I am having around 2500 per day, I don't take anything off for exercise im doing so that way I know I am specifically at a caloric deficit.

2500 seems a lot... What's your current caloric deficit? And your height?

2500 seems a lot... What's your current caloric deficit? And your height?

He says in his introductory post that he's 6'4" and 20stone is 280lb. At 6'4" and 280lb, his BMR will likely be more than 2500.

Basically, stop relying on TINNED peas and force yourself to start eating like a grown up. 

Yes, this is harsh but eating like a picky child is hardly the way to have a healthy body as an adult. 

@ Foxtrot off ..... it does get easier liking veg ... when I first started "forcing" myself to eat veg a 450g broccoli would last me and the wife a week, I would have 5 bits, she would have 5 bits and I would end up giving her 2 of my bits I couldnt stomach.

5 months later ... I eat, on my own about 3-4 450g brocollis a week .... steamed and left in the fridge, they bulk out lunches, work as snacks .. and that taste for veg carries over, I now have cravings for Spouts, ahhh, sugarsnap peas ... roasted cauliflower and cumin seeds om nom nom nom

seriously if I havent eaten a crap load of greenery in the day my body feels neglected, I crave veg !!!!!

The healthier you force yourself to eat, and the more you ween yourself off crap, the more you want healthy food and the less you like crap !

Its a battle though ... certainly worthy of a six week challenge

Got to say specialsundae, you have quite a way with words. I appreciate what you're saying but maybe lessen the tone as it seems to me like you're talking at me, especially the whole im a child for wanting tinned peas.

Yes, my maintenance is 4300 calories per day, I am taking in 2500 give or take 200 or so, I walk around 3-4kms in 45 mins at 10mins per KM and I am also on core exercises to help my back recover since my surgery.

When I came into this I knew what I was doing was going to be a challenge, just after reading everything on NF's website and doing research, I should have seen some weight loss by now. Anyway, thank you all for the advice, I will certainly look into other forms of veg and try to change.

What are you like with Shakes ?

I know a lot of people have had sucess with buying something like a nutribullet blender or the like and turning kale into a drink ..... if it works for you, thats an easy 250g of veg in a simple drink.

yes it costs money ... as does buying vegetable powders from myprotein.com ... but all that extra fibre, nutrients, vegetable etc, will really really benefit your body

edit: ... part of me actually wishes I didnt like veg so I could justify buying one myself to blend food up in ... but having spent hours watching the infomercials on the TV for them ... I think I would just rather eat the food than turn it to liquid ... its far more satisfying chewing something

BUT ... if I didnt like veg, I would buy a blender, knowing what I know now

I don't know if anyone has broken the sad news to you that corn is not a vegetable. It is a grain. Therefore, when we say eat more veggies, corn doesn't count. :neglected:

As for not liking them, try picking one veggie and trying it. Find some recipes and try it different ways. I like http://nomnompaleo.com/for some great veggies recipes.

Also if you can use the paleo mayo as a dip for raw veggies- that is a super healthy and good snack.

Got to say specialsundae, you have quite a way with words. I appreciate what you're saying but maybe lessen the tone as it seems to me like you're talking at me, especially the whole im a child for wanting tinned peas.

Saying that you're a picky eater is one of the most childish excuses for not eating something that you know you should. Therefore, I was treating it with the level of respect that it warranted.

I treated my husband's habit of picky eating with a similar level of respect when we got together: he was told he either ate what I ate or learned to cook and he chose the former. Within a year of getting together, he was clearing his plate at every meal and now he will voluntarily eat vegetables even when he doesn't have to (and you can see the benefits in his health and appearance).

Picky eating usually is more a result of 1) haven't tried the right vegetables or 2) haven't tried vegetables prepared in the right way.

I used to eat very few vegetables, but ever since learning to cook, learning how to season them, how to make them taste better, what veggies go great with what meat/side, I eat a lot more and I like them a lot more. And lastly, Sundae has a point, if being an adult means one thing, then doing things we know we should even though we don't really want to. That starts with getting up in the morning, working, taking care of responsibilities and so forth. Eating 300g of broccoli if you'd rather have fries isn't all that different, with the distinct advantage that you can make broccoli taste pretty good if you know how. That's the thing, the knowhow is what you are missing right now. Fortunately you've got a great budget to work with at 2500 calories. Roasting cumin seeds and then frying 300g broccoli in it, basting it with butter, sprinkling some salt and pepper over it makes a gigantic diffence. Grilled aubergine/eggplant slices that have been coated with an olive oil-garlic mix and salted afterwards taste heavenly and simply frying a bunch of bell peppers, zucchini and onions, adding some minced meat and seasoning it with salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, herbs of your choice makes an awesome meal.

IIFYM works just as well as Paleo, but neither will do you any good if you don't eat many vegetables as they're required for both to make sense.

• Like 2

Another thought is to keep a food diary. You say you are having a few cheats like bread and beans. What does a few mean? 1 roll when you are eating out or a loaf of garlic bread every other night? You may be having more cheats than you realize. For a week write down everything you eat. Don't change what you eat, just  write it down. That will give you an idea of how much you are eating.

And you mentioned how you lost weight earlier. Where are you now? As you get closer to your goal weight, it can take more effort to lose that weight.

An unfortunate reality of the Paleo diet in your case is that it will not work without vegetable intake.  You need those nutrients, vitamins, and fibers that you don't get from meat.  Especially the fiber and any leafy greens.  Also vegetables are a filling yet low in calories to keep you satiated and craving free.  Forgive the pun, but veggies are the "meat and potatoes" of Paleo style eating.  Lots of people here had good ideas for getting those veggies in.

Another thing I noticed personally is that in relying too heavily on sausage, bacon, and other meat sources of a similar nature is that my fat intake skyrocketed and that a lot of commercialized versions of these also contained sugars which supply those insulin spikes that Paleo attempts to suppress.

Also, hydrate.  Water.  Water.  Water.  Learn to love it.  It keeps your systems functioning and your nutrients moving to where they're needed.

SpecialSundae, I suggest you read disil's comments and maybe rein in your... (the best way I can put this) fury. I understand you don't like something but maybe you wanna be a bit more respectful to someone who's new here and really looking support and encouragement, rather than being called a child, frankly, it isn't helpful. Its a good thing im thick skinned otherwise id've left the internet 19 years ago :)

Anyway, yea to everyone else thanks so much, I agree with you all that I need to find something I can eat in a way I like and have that going forward, that's mainly the reason I went with pea's as they are a known quantity for me and I do like them, they will serve as a mid point till I do find something else I like and can work on in regards to other veg. However, I love the idea of a shake, its easy, would fit into my lifestyle and would be perfect for dinner at my desk for work.

In regards to my meat in take, I don't buy from supermarkets unless I am desperate, there are some really good local farms where I buy all my meat from, mainly ground beef, chicken breasts, legs, legs + thighs etc. I am working on expanding that as I've tried pork a few times but I need to get a sauce together I can use with the pork as it doesn't taste as good as i'd like, but I certainly will eat it with some sauce.

Also, I am keeping a food diary, I use myfitnesspal and anything that goes in my mouth is put onto there. Yesterdays intake, for example:

Breakfast: 4 scrambled eggs, whole

Dinner: 2 pork chops, seasoned with sunflower  oil (yes, now I know its not paleo, ill get some when I can :P), salt, lemon juice with 100g peas and 100g mushrooms

I wasn't overly hungry at all yesterday, mainly due to the fact that it was my first full day back at work and I was exhausted and my back was sore, so I made some dinner and went to lay down for the rest of the evening.

Thanks as always for all the advice, it is VERY helpful!

Just as an idea, throw one diced red bell pepper into the pan and fry it in some olive oil for ~5 minutes on medium heat before you start scrambling those eggs for breakfast and see wheter you like that. It's my favourite vegetable and I can add it to almost anything and this is one of the easiest ways to do so.

As far as shakes or smoothies go, I recently started doing this as well and one of the safest ways to go is use a ripe banana to get some sweet taste in there and some veg for the good stuff in it. In my case thats 1-2 handful of spinach and some water. The shake tastes almost entirely banana and is really healthy.

soup is another great way fo cramming the veg in AND eating less.

throw every vegetable in the world into some stock, simmer until its soft and blend ...... have this as a starter before your main course or lunch

(1) you will consume a good few portions of veg without realising in a warm tasty soup

(2) you will be fuller so wont want to eat as much in your main meal

Make the soup yourself though ... shop bought soup has quite alot of stuff in it that you dont need in your diet, from thickeners, starches, sugars, more sugars, stabilisers, colourings, flavourings sodium, sugar, more sodium, even more sugar,

I am sure you can find a natual one, but for the effort of sticking a stick blender into a saucepan of simmering veg, its easy to make your own ..... AND you can make it in batches and freeze

In regards to my meat in take, I don't buy from supermarkets unless I am desperate, there are some really good local farms where I buy all my meat from, mainly ground beef, chicken breasts, legs, legs + thighs etc. I am working on expanding that as I've tried pork a few times but I need to get a sauce together I can use with the pork as it doesn't taste as good as i'd like, but I certainly will eat it with some sauce.

I just recently bought a ton of pork loin chops in bulk and then froze them, so I'm eating a ton of pork, and it's bloody boring as hell.  I found a recipe on Pinterest called something along the lines of 'Turkish Pork' or similar that slow cooks your chops with paprika.  It turns out real nice if you like melt in your mouth pork.

I wasn't overly hungry at all yesterday, mainly due to the fact that it was my first full day back at work and I was exhausted and my back was sore, so I made some dinner and went to lay down for the rest of the evening.

I have more days like that than I can count.  Especially day shifts when I'm super busy.  On nights I'm tired and bored and eating comes super easy.  But there are definitely days I have to force myself through my pre-planned meals to keep that metabolism flowing.

Good luck!

Thanks all for the suggestions, the shakes are something I am certainly going to pursue, I've already picked out some protein from myprotein and as suggested ill be mostly using fruit to sweeten up the shake then loading it up with veg.

I agree with the boring meat thing, I generally change up every day between what I have stocked, ground beef burgers, chicken fillet, legs, legs+thighs, basa.. whatever I fancy and cook it how I like =-)

Thanks again to ALL, this thread has given me the motivation to carry on.

• Like 1

Foxtrot,

First of all, your Avatar is totally Mossome!

I would never want to discourage you from going after your goals, but I'm not sure recovering from surgery is the best time to try to lose weight, unless there are severe health needs involved. I would, as a general rule, cousel against it. Going paleo during (and after) recovery is an awesome tool, but trying lose weight requires a fine balance of giving your body the nutrition it needs while supplying it with less energy than it requires. That's even more significant when the body has higher nutrition needs to repair itself from the fairly traumatic event of surgery. Also something to remember; surgery recovery is a fairly significant stressor on the body. Stress on your body can definitely impede weight loss. So can some of the meds you might be taking.

While your body is recovering, you may want to take time to get the whole foods habit more in line and worry a bit less about weight loss.

That said, you mentioned that you drink 2-6 L of liquid a day and around 2L is water. What's the rest? You said you sometimes have soda at night. Does that mean soda water, or pop, like coke?

Also, when you're looking for sauces for pork, or anything really, the'ye often a hidden source of carb so you'll want to be careful with that.

Finding some good and easy recipies for veg has made all the difference for me; a couple go-to dressings for spinach salads, a quick-and-easy stir-fry recipe, some sauteed veg, a super easy cole slaw recipe. Soups are awesome. You make it on sunday and you just heat it up whenever you want during the week. We pour soup over a bunch of spinach or kale and it's super quick, easy, tasty, low-carb, and nutritionally dense. Sometimes we'll sautee some fresh veg and throw them in as well to pump up the veg count.

Sometimes impropvements come all at once, and sometimes they come in baby steps. It seems like you've taken some baby steps to add some veg to your meals, which is great. The next step is probably to find a few good recipes that are easy and make them a regular part of your rotation. It's easy to be frustrated, but baby steps generally take a little more time to see results than jumping right into the deep end. Though making small improvements often makes for a more sustainable long-terem habit.

How sure are you that you're hitting around 2500 kcal/day? How long have you been doing it?

Everything everyone has said is pretty valid.  On top of it all, while it's better than /nothing/, you should move off of the tinned veg and onto frozen veg or fresh veg at your earliest opportunity.  It might seem like it's more convenient to grab a tin of peas and dump them in a pan, but that water they're held in is packed full of sugars, salts, and preservatives.  Which is why they last for a ridiculously long time.  Not good.  Frozen veg is the best bet for long life vegetables.  Fresh veg is best for experimenting with.

I have not posted much but I have been Paleo for approximately 2 years and I once hated vegetables, pretty much all vegetables.   Over time, my taste buds "reset" and now I find myself piling on the broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, etc.   Two years ago I hated sweet potatoes, now I am ready to plant my own so I hopefully have a massive amount of them in the late Fall/ early winter.