Silly Kettlebell Question

Hello lifters!  I hope I'm putting this topic in the right place (sorry if it's not, but I couldn't find anywhere that looked like a better spot).  I have a rather silly question for people who lift kettlebells.

For the next challenge, one of the things I plan on doing is a kettlebell exercise video.  I'm all set with the stuff for me to do it, but my son had started really enjoying exercising with me.  He's 3 1/2.  He will not stand for not having his own "kettlebell" when I'm doing the video.

Can anyone recommend a good stand-in?  Something easy to fabricate/buy that will be sturdy enough for a little kid to use, but also won't damage things (too much) when he gets bored of following the video and just starts swinging it around?

I have considered just giving him the tea kettle to use (or getting a toy tea kettle, cutting off the spout, and painting it), but I would love to hear other thoughts.

Thank you for your help with my silly question!

Wood Elf Waywatcher Mandalorian (Assassin/Ranger hybrid)

Hello lifters!  I hope I'm putting this topic in the right place (sorry if it's not, but I couldn't find anywhere that looked like a better spot).  I have a rather silly question for people who lift kettlebells.

For the next challenge, one of the things I plan on doing is a kettlebell exercise video.  I'm all set with the stuff for me to do it, but my son had started really enjoying exercising with me.  He's 3 1/2.  He will not stand for not having his own "kettlebell" when I'm doing the video.

Can anyone recommend a good stand-in?  Something easy to fabricate/buy that will be sturdy enough for a little kid to use, but also won't damage things (too much) when he gets bored of following the video and just starts swinging it around?

I have considered just giving him the tea kettle to use (or getting a toy tea kettle, cutting off the spout, and painting it), but I would love to hear other thoughts.

Thank you for your help with my silly question!

So cute! I like your idea. Teros made his own kettlebells, using buckets and pouring them with concrete. Same idea, maybe filling a bucket or pail with tissue paper. 

Wisdom- 13 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

I would tape a rope to a small plastic bottle of water (0.25 or 0.5 liter). For safety, maybe tape the cap as well :-)

Very nice to include your kid in your workout!

New Recruit | Level: 0 | BattleLog | Fitocracy

Long term goal : achieving the "simple" (32kg kettlebell) goal from Simple & Sinister. Started at 9kg, finished the 12kg, currently working on the 20kg, 4 KB size to go! 

30%
30%

EASY ......

option 1 ..... just buy him a 2kg kettlebell .. unfortunately because they are aimed at "women" for somereason they paint them pink, and if you are a gender colour concerned parent you or he might not want a pink one ..... they are only 2kg so the same weight as a brick .... watching my girl heft bricks around the garden, the weight is not an issue ... however do you trust him not to put it through the TV or his foot :D

option 2 .... this :- http://www.amazon.com/WOD-Toys-Kettle-Kettlebell-Training/dp/B00AN8HIRC

Human | Ranger

Level 3 | STR: 8 | DEX: 2 | STA: 8 | CON: 5 | WIS: 0 | CHA: 7

Current Challenge / Second Challenge, /  My First Challenge

Do you like to knit or crochet?  The below suggestion isn't too practical, but if you're a crafty type, it could be fun.

I'm planning to crochet my trainer a stuffed kettlebell, mainly to tease him about being so obsessed with kettlebells - he likes them so damn much that I bet he'd sleep with one if he could.  I'll crochet a sphere and a tube for the handle, stuff them, and put them together.  Maybe I'll add a face and some ears so it can be a teddy-kettlebell. :tongue:

If you made one for your kid to actually use, you could put something in there to add a little weight so it swings more or less properly.  If you took a rock, wrapped it in yarn, and then wrapped that in quilt batting before you stuffed it in there, it would be very well-padded.

Alternatively, you could make a big ball of scrap yarn, secure the end well, braid multiple strands into a handle and sew it on somehow.  Stick a rock in the middle if you want some weight on it.

That kid's kettlebell on Amazon looks great, but the price...holy smokes!  The related items are even more pricey. 

• Like 1

My Main Quest:  Bench my Body Weight

My First 6-Week Challenge:  Squidwina - A Week Late and 45 Pounds Short

Started Program - 5-Jan-2015

Main Lifts as of 17-Mar-2015

- Squat: 3 reps at 175 lbs  (200 lb 1RM)

- Deadlift:  3 reps at 185 lbs

- Bench press: 3 reps at 115 lbs

- Overhead press: 3 reps at 75 lbs

My boy has a 5# KB.  He doesn't do much with it though, a couple deadlifts, swings, and high pulls and he's bored.  How about a soft, sand filled KB, it should be safe on his toes.  Soft Kettlebell.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Gaffa/Duck tape

Tennis ball (wrapped in Gaffa tape)

News paper (tightly rolled up like a cane, wrapped in gaffa tape, cut to length shaped like a KB handle)

Both items then held together by using gaffa tape :)

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads 

I ended up going with the toy one.  Found a different seller that had it for about $17.  Still over-priced?  Probably, but I don't really have time to make something.  I'm willing to pay to have a bit more time to do something else. :)

It should arrive Tuesday, just in time to start the kettlebell workouts.

It's called Kettlebody by Brooke.  Maybe it doesn't have an "e" on the end, I can't remember how she spelled it, now.

Sadly, we haven't started it yet, because I got sick, and as a result this week is pretty much a total loss for working out.  Next week, though!  Because he was very excited about the kettlebell, and couldn't wait to try it. :)

Who needs a kettlebell when you have a dry leaf?

This video is Elliott Hulse on a camping trip with his family, demonstrating how to get a great workout with just one kettlebell.

Fast forward to about 3:30.

My Main Quest:  Bench my Body Weight

My First 6-Week Challenge:  Squidwina - A Week Late and 45 Pounds Short

Started Program - 5-Jan-2015

Main Lifts as of 17-Mar-2015

- Squat: 3 reps at 175 lbs  (200 lb 1RM)

- Deadlift:  3 reps at 185 lbs

- Bench press: 3 reps at 115 lbs

- Overhead press: 3 reps at 75 lbs