Gunslinger born: Chapter 1 (erosan's challenge log)

erosan

SUMMARY
In order to become who I want to be, I want to setup the foundations.

I rocked the first challenge, and that kickstarted my lifestyle change. I still need to achieve the minimum level necessary to start pursuing the rest of my goals: train parkour, finish losing weight, keep lifting heavy things, etc.

But thankfully I've learned a lot so far.

If this was a book, this would be the first chapter, where the protagonist (whom we met in the prologe) starts his journey, without anything seemingly special about him.

(current) MAIN QUEST - Initiation test
Become leaner, fitter and Healthier.

SMART goal breakdown: lose 15kg (goal is around 70kg before july 1st), be fitter, healthier (aiming for stricter paleo this time).

GOALS
1. LEANER (paleo cookbook edition) - While keeping eating paleo at least 80% of the time, record kitchen adventures: at least 3 recipes per week. (+3 WIS if 75%+ success), lose some more weight too! (+2 CHA:if at least 2kg lost).

habitrpg.com setup >
HABIT+- paleo/primal meal
HABIT+ cook healthy food
HABIT+ Work on recipe.

2. FITTER (reprise) - 3 times a week bodyweight (+3 STR:if 75%+ success), 1 sprint (+2 DEX:if 75%+ success).

habitrpg.com setup >
DAILY+ Bodyweight workout. Mon, Wed, Fri
DAILY+ Sprint session. Sat

3. HEALTHIER - Go to bed before 3am, sleep at least 6 hours. (+2 CON if 75%+ success on rest time).

habitrpg.com setup >
DAILY+- Leave office before 2
DAILY+- Go to bed before 3
DAILY+ Slept minimum of 6 hours

LIFE SIDEQUEST - Rather than learning something (which I'll end up doing anyways, because I know myself) I decided i want to do at least 1 productive (not daily task) thing every day (monday through friday). e.g. fixing that wall I've been postponing for 3 weeks now, sewing the seam of that trouser, crafting that one thing my wife wanted...

habitrpg.com setup >
DAILY+ Do something m-f

Things accomplished during challenge.

* Fixed ripped seam on trouser
* Ordered office drawer
* Cleaned veggie drawer on fridge
* Measured neck/shoulder/chest/biceps/waist/hips/tight for comparison after 6wc
* finished cleaning the rest of the fridge
* sewing buttons to Aly's shirts
* host to my brother and family during his vacations
* extra responsibilities around the house due to wife being away for more than a week
* Re-scheduled a important meeting with a client. This is good because there is so much going on in my life as of this day that trying to fit this in was just crazy.
* Taught my mom how to use a pressure cooker.

* Did not burn the house down while wife was away.

* Re-organized office and warehouse. What do you know? there's space here!

MOTIVATION
LGN

MINIQUESTS
None yet

Note: to learn more about how I use habitrpg to aid me on this quest, read this thread.

• Like 5

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

1. LEANER (paleo cookbook edition) - While keeping eating paleo at least 80% of the time, record kitchen adventures: at least 2 recipes per week (minus one week where I was so sick I did nothing but sleep). (+3 WIS if  success), lose some more weight too! (+2 CHA:if at least 2kg lost).

Starting weight: 81.5 kg (Feb 18th)
Finishing weight: 80.7 kg (Apr 5th)

Days without falling-out-of-the-wagon incidents: 0 (plenty not-paleo eaten today and yesterday)
Longest 100% paleo: 7 days
Non-paleo crap eaten through the challenge: 1 poutine, 1 hamburger, 1 slice of pizza, 1 doughnut

RECIPES
Recipes recorded: 4

Potato chips (microwave version)
Spicy tuna fishcakes
Dehydrated Apple slices (more of a garnish than a snack though)
Pork rind fritatta

• Like 1

2. FITTER (reprise) 3 times a week bodyweight (+3 STR:if success), 1 sprint (+2 DEX:if success).

the bodyweight program I decided to use (from neatstrenght.com), is loosely based on stronglifts, but using bodyweight exercises... namely one handed pushups, pistol squats, pullups, handstand pushups and back bridge holds. Did you know that the neatstrenght.com guy is a fellow rebel? the awesome BaconHunter!

I'd be HAPPY if I could pull off all those moves (I cant) but of course the program has you follow the progressions for each movement, and slowly (but at a constant rate) increase the difficulty on the exercises till you can move forward to the next exercise variation and eventually do the difficult versions.

On Friday of the last week, I did AMRAP of the most difficult version I could perform, to evaluate my starting point.

for each progression:

Pistol Squats: I can do narrow squats x 20
for One Handed Push Ups: the best I can do is 5 diamond pushups
for Pullups: 3 regular pullups is my max
for Handstand pushups: 15 pike pushups is where I draw my line
back bridge hold: 20 secs of straight back bridge is all I can hold.

In a StrongLifts fashion, there are 3 sessions a week, alternating between this 2 sessions:

Session A
5x5 Pistol squats progression line
5x5 One handed pushups progression line
5x5 Pullups progression line

Session B
5x5 Pistol squats progression line
5x5 Handstand pushups progression line
Back bridge hold progression line

The recommendation is to start super easy, to allow your joints to get strong too. I will start with deep squats, slight incline pushups, negative pullups, pike pushups and straight bridge holds (last two are the most difficult versions I can perform, but there is no easier version listed on their progressions).

Each session I will up the difficulty level by adding the recommended pauses (first on the way down, then on the way up, then increasing the pauses) and only after that will I move to the next exercise on the progression. e.g. until I master the narrow squat with pauses I will not attempt the deep narrow squat.

Edit: I asked Silvio, and when you can't finish a 5x5 exercise, you try again next session until you master it, then move to the next difficulty version of it. The idea is to keep improving every time.

Missed bodyweight workouts: 0

Missed sprint workouts: 1

Workouts done: 7 (Mar 16th)

Sprints done: 1 (Mar 15th)

• Like 1

3. HEALTHIER - Go to bed before 3am, sleep at least 6 hours. (+2 CON if success on rest time).

Not enough rest (less than 6 hours sleep): too many while sick/crazy weeks, but then rested an average of 9+ hours on too many days too while sick... so... I'll call that even and re-start the count at 0

Gah! this one is too difficult to keep track of, apparently! But I swear I'm doing ... better. And resting more on average. SO I'm calling this a success so far. but there is room to improve. LOTS of room.

• Like 1

Wow your goals seem awesome! The resources that you posed about look great too, I'm going to try out the Habit RPG b/c that looks sweet (who doesn't love RPGing their life), as well as give the neat strength website you posted a look over. I may have to switch up my workouts and add in some of those the ones they have on there. Subscribed! 

• Like 2

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

Thanks. So far I'm loving HabitRPG, I feel like it a big part of my first's 6wc success, so I'm going to keep using it.

• Like 1

Found and followed. Can't wait to see you do as well on this challenge as you did on the last one (plus mutual support in the bodyweight and paleo thing).

I'm hoping to set up my new challenge thread later - got one nasty set of bodyweight exercises to do first...

• Like 1

TKDgirl Level 3 amazon

STR 7 DEX 0 STA 7 CON 10 WIS 6 CHA 3

Challenges: 1 2, current

20 good form push ups

45%
45%

Decided on a life sidequest... Be productive

Updated summary post:

LIFE SIDEQUEST - Rather than learning something (which I'll end up doing anyways, because I know myself) I decided i want to do at least 1 productive (not daily task) thing every day (monday through friday). e.g. fixing that wall I've been postponing for 3 weeks now, sewing the seam of that trouser, crafting that one thing my wife wanted...

Thanks. So far I'm loving HabitRPG, I feel like it a big part of my first's 6wc success, so I'm going to keep using it.

I just signed up for it too, it is pretty great. My user name on there is DragonForged :) I just created a party called Nerd Fitness Assassins maybe we can get a few other people from here using it too :D 

My unique ID for HabitRPG is: f9bdafb3-ec33-4e9a-acb2-261025e50234

Hopefully that will help you find me/ What is your username on there and I will add you that way :)

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

Yay! another person working on changing their sleeping habits!! I'm also going to look at habitRPG because I've never heard of it before and games are awesome. Can't wait to see how you do with your strength training as well.

• Like 1

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

Good luck with the challenge, looks great! Looking forward to your recipes! :D

I'd love to join the habitrpg party, my party kind of fizzled out and I have no one to go questing with. :(

Aww! Well no worries we can start a Nerd Fit Assasin's Party! :D Join us!

Yay! another person working on changing their sleeping habits!! I'm also going to look at habitRPG because I've never heard of it before and games are awesome. Can't wait to see how you do with your strength training as well.

Do it. One of us. One of us. :)

• Like 1

Finally found my User ID

35466cb2-3627-48b5-8b3f-954b7acc6c66

my username is... wait for it... "erosan"

I don't know how parties really work... I created one with just me to play over some quests... Do in need to leave that so you can invite me?

• Like 2

Quick update for today:

Did my workout

5x5 deep squats 2 stops (on the way down and on the way up, 1sec each)

5x5 slight incline pushups 2 stops (on the way down and on the way up, 1sec each)

5x5 negative pullups 1 stop (on the way down obviously, 1 sec)

Worked on a recipe which for something as simple as what I'm thinking of accomplishing, it's proving to be more difficult to nail than expected. But I'm experimenting, basically I did no research beforehand, so that's why. Once the challenge starts, I won't work this way. (If I try to develop from 0, I might have to dial down the expected # of recipes to 2 a week for feasibility... we'll see). As soon as I feel like it's ready I'll publish... unless you guys want in on the development process too...

AAAND also worked on patching some holes in the wall (from nails and whatnot) so I nailed all 3 goals in a day. Proud of myself.

for my first trick I was trying to repurpose a technique I've used in the past to make croûtons and potato crisps… dehydrate on the microwave.

My intention was --due to the lack of viable snacks I suffered last challenge-- to start by creating a little pick me up… dehydrated apple… Alas, I don't own a dehydrator… and the solar one I hacked a year ago did not survive, despite working surprisingly well… after all it was a prototype and it was made out of cardboard…

But I digress… apple + microwave:

So… one thing people don't realize often is that the way microwaves work, you quickly boil off the water in whatever you cook in one, thus dehydrating it. So cube bread, nuke in 15-30 secs increments watch out closely lest you enjoy the smell of burnt toast and instant croûtons… Hope you were not paying 3 dollars a bag.

so, theory was that apple could be dehydrated the same route, save for some modifications to account for all the extra moisture.

I've tried lots of time and power level combinations, but not happy with the results so far… low power and long nuke works… but I don't want to wait 20 mins for 1 apple worth of snack… moderate power cuts the time, but elevates the risk of over caramelization of sugars resulting in undesirable flavour developmelt (aka burnt apple flavour).

also thickness of the slice was proving to be a challenge for testing consistecy, so I'm using a mandolin now… but again, that takes from the desired simplicity of the recipe.

At least the results are edible so far (the kid is enjoying them… I told him its apple candy and he has not said otherwise… sweet gets concentrated). But I figure its the same as eating one apple, so its ok.

I'll post some pics tomorrow along with more details if anyone is interested.

• Like 1

I love your life quest of do something useful each day, i find it gives a level of satisfaction almost out of proportion to the task you've actually achieved.  Wishing you well with the bodyweight fitness, I find 2 sessions a week relatively easy but struggle sometimes to squeeze the third one in so will be working hard on that again this challenge.  Looking forward to us both doing great at that.

• Like 1

Fitness:  Self defence, Yoga, Meditation.  As of July 16 dumbell weight training.

Other interests:  Pre hospital medicine, Role playing, Sci-fi / fantasy, Cooking, Dog.

First Challenge Second Challenge Third Challenge

Looking forward to following your progression and killing it together in the Brigade! Awesome Job on your first challenge! I am digging the Neat Strength site you are using. Definitely will be checking it out more to improve my routine. Also will be checking out the habitrpg game. As it is, I use a notes app to keep track of the stuff I do. It looks like habitrpg does that and makes it fun. WHO THE HELL DO THEY THINK WE ARE!?!

• Like 1

I don't know how parties really work... I created one with just me to play over some quests... Do in need to leave that so you can invite me?

Yeah Apparently you do, just tried to invite you and it said "already in a party" so just let me know when you leave yours and I'll invite you again.

There is also fairly big NF Guild on there called The Nerd Fitness Rebellion (Unofficial)- Group ID: 8f592523-fc7d-4e57-a7bb-d42986830cac 

BTW did you know what the creator of neatstrength is on here? BaconHunter!!?? How sweet is that!

• Like 1

Hi Erosan!

Good to find you :) And good to see you're already steaming ahead with the challenge!

Really like the 'do one thing a day you've been meaning to do' side quest. I guess a large part of making that work would be keeping a good list of those tasks as they turn up to minimize resistance to starting?

Subbed. Looking forward to watching the play out!

Ideal weight: 78kg | starting weight: 63.8kg

LeadVonE - Level 1 Warrior

Past challenges: 1 2 3 4

Yeah Apparently you do, just tried to invite you and it said "already in a party" so just let me know when you leave yours and I'll invite you again.

There is also fairly big NF Guild on there called The Nerd Fitness Rebellion (Unofficial)- Group ID: 8f592523-fc7d-4e57-a7bb-d42986830cac

BTW did you know what the creator of neatstrength is on here? BaconHunter!!?? How sweet is that!

O.o really? that is NEAT! (see what I did there?)

I'll have to look him up, and follow him.

• Like 1

hey James! good to see you in here! I see your new challenge is up too! (already sub'd, but I am yet to comment)

OK Binary Dragon... I disbanded "the brotherhood of the lonely wolf". You can send the invite to your HabitRPG party now.

• Like 1