Gunslinger born: Chapter 1 (erosan's challenge log)

erosan

Oh, I love my apples (actually fruits in general). And I still eat them raw at least 2 or 3 times a week. But I also love cooking, and I've been sort of obsessed with cooking with apples since I helped TravellerTerrace on his last 6wc. He decided to eat at least 1 a day but he was getting sick of them (and I could not allow that on two fronts, not because apples are awesome, nor because that would mean a fellow rebel would fail his 6wc). So I suggested some other ways he could eat apples.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

Before I leave to pick up the kid at school, I want to post today's workout:

Warmup with ground work: bear crawls, grow crawls, spider crawls (second time I've done this and I think it's a keeper), then:

5x5 deep squat 2 stops (2 sec on the way down, 1 sec on the way up)

5x5 pike pushup 1 stop (1 sec on the way down)

straight back bridge hold 40 secs

So, out of the 4 sessions, I've steadily improved on all exercises (I started easy though), but that method of stopping mid exercise on the way down or up really makes it more difficult. Take deep squats for example. I can do 50 in one go no problem, and the next exercise in the progression is narrow squats, of which I could do 20+, but just by adding those stop points I'm starting to get tired by the end of the routine which are only 25 reps WITH 5 rests inbetween! so I expect 2 stops of 3 secs will be tuff.

• Like 2

yup, already doing that. If anyone wants an insider's view on my notes, here's a link to my personal wiki:

http://erik.famiglia.com.mx/index.php/Cocina/ManzanaDeshidratada(its in spanish though).

I've used a dehydrator before (solar, diy built) and also have dehydrated in the oven.

I'm trying, more than to get dehydrated fruit, to come up with a way to do it conveniently (see, the problem I have is trying to find something to snack on when I don't have snacks around). Already 20 mins is better than 20 hours, but it's still a bit slow for my current purposes.

I've used the microwave to do other things, includding croutons and potato chips (which go pretty well with a vichyssoise). But fruit is trickier due to the higher moisture content.

Only thing I can do is keep trying.

How did the microwave potatoes chips come out? Think it would work with sweet potatoes?
  • Like 1

I admire your tenacity, but I think you might be approaching the "let the wookie win" point with those apples. ;)

Nice job moving along with those squats! It's always good to start easy and build slow - your connective tissues will thank you for it later.

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

lol Phayze. Nah, this should work. I'm changing the status of that recipe to side-project though, it is not the focus of my challenge afterall.

@Robpocalypse: Just for you I cooked a batch to snap some pics. I've never done them with sweet potatoes (and sadly I don't have some handy) but here is the recipe with regular potatoes (and I guess this counts as the first recipe in this thread).

Slice thinly (@Urgan, hopefully this answers your inquiry about my knife skills). Spread on wax paper, single layer so the edges won't touch.

chips1.jpg

Nuke on high until you start to see some browning (on my microwave that is between 4 and 4.5 minutes), flip them and nuke another 20 secs (keep an eye on them to stop if you see any browning too much).

chips2.jpg

Take em out, allow them to release the steam for a minute or so, then spice them (I used on these a mix of salt, pepper, onion powder and garlic salt... a spritz of vinegar can be nice too), but anything works really, try curry powder for a kick.

Consume.

chips3.jpg

• Like 5

^_^;  sorry about that.

But hey, at least this way you know what's in them: 100% pure potato, and some salt. Also, pictured is like half a small potato, which is not that bad as a serving size, and won't really trip your diet a lot even if you wanna do low carb.

I promise next recipe will be something better.

In the meantime, I'm debating with myself over how should I handle my life sidequest.

See, I already did something productive today (fixed the seam of a trouser)... and now that I'm at the office, I'm wondering if I should take the time to re-organize my drawer. But part of me tells me if I over-do it at the beginning, I might have issues figuring out what to do later. I could do it and count it for some other day's when life gets the best of me... but doing so is giving myself permission to be lazy. Not counting it though is an incentive to ONLY do something once a day. Not the goal of the challenge. What to do?

When in doubt fuck it all and kick ass KICK REASON TO THE CURB AND DO THE IMPOSSIBLE, isn't that right, Brigade?.

I'm going to do it, and not count it for today nor for tomorrow's. I'm just gonna do it because. And then, if given the chance, I'll do it again.

So be productive goal - success overload.

• Like 3

Wow so much awesome information. Loved the Potato and Apple Chip thought process & recipe. Workout seemed pretty solid too, A Great 1st Day I would say! :D

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

glad its being well received‚ so far though the apple one is not yet working as expected though, so if you are trying try the potato one.

• Like 1

kick-reason-to-the-curb-and-do-the-impos

Words to live by, if ever I've heard some.

• Like 3

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

I failed my rest goal yesterday…

I failed my rest goal yesterday… I did go to bed before 3… but did not sleep, due to uhhh tho wife wanting to engage in a couple of sets of some reps each of lets call it some impromptu cardio workout? yeah lets go with that…

went to bed at 4:00… and I would gladly fail again under the same circumstances.

so… great first day of the challenge :D

• Like 3

Recipe 2! (already? why yes!)

Spicy tuna fishcakes. Improv version

Do what you can with what you have, right? I had 2 cans of tuna, eggs, ginger and hunger. so I made this:

Drain the tuna (not all of the liquid, but most of it), add some freshly ground ginger, a dollop of garlic/habanero paste, a dash of soy sauce, some chopped cabbage, and two eggs scrambled. Make patties and cook em, bout a minute a side.

atun6.jpg

Voila. Easy spicy tuna fishcakes. Good with a squeeze of lime, but then again what isn't? Maybe not the prettiest looking, but I can assure you they were GOOOOOOD.

Full spanish instructions, and several more pics here.

• Like 6

I failed my rest goal yesterday… I did go to bed before 3… but did not sleep, due to uhhh tho wife wanting to engage in a couple of sets of some reps each of lets call it some impromptu cardio workout? yeah lets go with that…

went to bed at 4:00… and I would gladly fail again under the same circumstances.

That is a much better reason to fail than mine. I got into bed on time and even tried to get to sleep. My mind had very different ideas tho so I was up until 2 *cries* and am now exhausted.

Assassin

Battle Log | MFP: Amdhiel
Challenges: Current#7#6, #5, #4,
#3, #2, #1

"Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up." Alfred - Batman Begins

That looks like a great way of turning semi-yucky but convenient canned tuna into something tasty. I wouldn't have thought of scrambling the eggs beforehand though, does that give better stickiness do you have another reasoning for it?

easier to mix them in. :D

My unexpected "nightly workout" came a day earlier. Or maybe it's just the wife trying to sabotage my 6WC by depleting my stamina...

... a little odd in the head ...

I think you placed your quotes wrong… here let me fix that:

My unexpected nightly workout "came" a day earlier.

no need to thank me.

• Like 2

Recipe 2! (already? why yes!)

Spicy tuna fishcakes. Improv version

Do what you can with what you have, right? I had 2 cans of tuna, eggs, ginger and hunger. so I made this:

Drain the tuna (not all of the liquid, but most of it), add some freshly ground ginger, a dollop of garlic/habanero paste, a dash of soy sauce, some chopped cabbage, and two eggs scrambled. Make patties and cook em, bout a minute a side.

atun6.jpg

Voila. Easy spicy tuna fishcakes. Good with a squeeze of lime, but then again what isn't? Maybe not the prettiest looking, but I can assure you they were GOOOOOOD.

Full spanish instructions, and several more pics here.

I make canned salmon cakes frequently, this looks like a good way to mix it up and add some veggies

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Loving all the recipes they look awesome! Definitely going to try that tuna cake one, they look delicious :) Sounds like you had a pretty good second day...and night ;D  

• Like 1

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

Went to bed in time yesterday, and rested ok for 6 hours...

I also did my exercise:

Warmup: bear crawls, grok crawls, spider crawls x 2

5x5 deep squats 2 stops (2 secs on the way down and 2 secs on the way up)

5x5 slight incline pushups 2 stops (2 secs on the way down and 1 sec on the way up)

5x5 negative pullups 1 stop (2 secs on the way down obviously)

Extra: I added 50 montain climbers for the assassin's miniquest

Still trying to figure out what to do for today's sidequest... I mean, there are plenty of stuff to do... but I'm drawing a blank :S

Also, since plenty of the Brigade members roam around here... the new thread is up! (look at signature) and we already have a task to accomplish! go, go, go! >:D

• Like 3