Gunslinger born: Chapter 1 (erosan's challenge log)

erosan

I'll have to come back and do a proper update later, but just dropping a line to assure you guys I'm doing ok on my challenge

• Like 3

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

OK, so the weekend...

wow, the weekend was hectic to say the least. Story goes like this: on Thursday afternoon, they tell my wife she is to go on a business trip. An emergency. So she came home, threw stuff on a suitcase, flew on Friday at 5:30 am. I had those same hours to figure out what was I supposed to do with my kid, since I am working late late late. And although he is a great kid, the fact is he is still 4 years old, and I don't feel comfortable leaving him alone. Right?

Usually, I'd ask my mom to take care of him... except my brother is coming from chicago for his vacations (arriving on the 27th to spend his birthday on the 28th). So she could on friday, but not on saturday. I called my sister, she could on monday and tuesday... not the rest of the days. So I stressed about saturday until saturday 2 hours before I had to leave for work, when it turned out United oversold then had a mechanical flaw on the airplane, so it never left the tarmac and the flight was cancelled. Which fucked up all of my brother's schedule for his vacations and prevented us from celebrating his birthday on the date. He took another sets of flights, to arrive only 1 day later, but that meant an overnight on the airport. Also? they "misplaced his luggage", which is still unaccounted for. Half of his photography equipment is there. Stuff he needed for work related photo shoot at some of the places he was supposed to go later this week. sigh. His delay meant that my mom could take care of the kid on saturday so. Safe! If only I could find someone to babysit for me wed-friday...

Anyways, I've been playing host since saturday noon, and its been soooo tiring. not because of my brother, who is awesome, but just the stress of having an extra family on your home dog includded, plus your parents, minus your significant other.

Did I mention I catched a flu? No? well I did. And here I thought it was the kid who was about to get sick, so he took the day off from school...

Good things that happened since I last updated? I exercised.

5x5 deep squat, 2 stops (3 secs going down, 3 secs going up)

5x5 slight incline pushup, 2 stops (2 secs going down, 2 secs going up)

5x5 negative pullups, with a 3 sec stop on the way down... except I failed the last 2 sets... So these were my reps for each set: 5, 5, 5, 4, 3... Those stops are killers. Asked BaconHunter (he is the guy who designed the program I'm using, from neatstrenght.com, but also a fellow rebel. He confirmed that a good course of action is to repeat this level until I can master then move. So I'll be repeating the negative pullup with 3 sec stop this friday.

Recipes> I already have 2 recipes ready-ish... but no time to type, upload images, etc. but soon, I promise.

I slept enough on all days. not on time, but enough. so I'm calling that a success.

LSQ: nothing over the weekend except for all the stuff I described above. Not a challenge breaker though, since the challenge does not include doing stuff on weekends. Today, though? I rested. which considering I've got the flu and feel like a zombie, was probably the most productive thing I could do.

Yikes. The flu is no bueno. Don't you just love when your plans go to crap...and then it gets even worse!? Looks like you beasted through and everything came out ok on the other side.

Nice job on the workout even when feeling crummy. And I guess getting enough sleep probably helped as well. Get some more rest and feel better soon!

Gnome Assassin: [3]
[sTR: 6] [DEX: 1] [STA: 5] [CON: 4] [WIS: 0] [CHA: 1]

âWhat we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. Albert Pike

Ugh, had a day like this yesterday, myself, it is the worst. Hope you get over the flu and rest enough to handle the rest of what life throws at you this week.

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

goodnewseveryone.png

I feel better because I slept. a lot… tallying up the sleeps for today: 13 hours so far.

I went to bed on time yesterday (mostly due to feeling like crap) then woke up long enough to take the kid to school and crash again, wake up, attend the executive meeting, pick up the kid.

upon arriving home, my kid touched my head and objectively proclaimed that "I felt hot, should rest"… and "not to worry, he would play on his own". When a four year old sends you to rest because you look sick you need to obey.

• Like 4

Pork rind fritatta

I once saw Ferran Adria do a potato fritatta by rehydrating potato chiips (i.e. the frito-lays kind)... its super easy, and its tasty. But I wanted to make it healthier than using that, and I liked the idea of a heavy protein breakfast, although I'd eat this anytime of the day. Its still easy to do, fast and yummy, and again, a technique that you can use for a miriad of similar dishes.

Start by buying good pork rinds (the kind its fried on its own lard) crumble it on a bowl.

cc50ddf5ea5a5cc738d168c0e7e4bee8.jpg

Scramble a couple of eggs in there and let it sit for a couple of minutes so the moisture of the egg hydrates the pork rinds a little. Then pour into a skillet with a dollop of butter and cook as you would a regular fritatta...

dc5bf46e048a7c8f8b7d511cbd9b6d66.jpg

let it cook, finish in the oven... or let it cook carefully flip --with the aid of a spatula or with a quick wrist movement if you've got the skill-- and cook the other side too.

You can't tell, but I added some parmeggiano and some microplaned almonds, for some umami and flavour. But you can add whatever you feel like, bacon/peppers/onions/spinach would be a classic combo, but really, the sky is the limit.

81551d99df959c0d88fa625fdc874705.jpg

• Like 2

Dude, your kitchen experiments are amazing and also remind me a very great deal of my job. Color me impressed.

There is so much cool in this challenge. I can't believe I didn't stop in sooner. Sorry about that. But here you are. Now get your sleep and kick gravity to the curb!

• Like 1

food industry is pretty rewarding imho, but it is tough work. usually long hours and a bit of a thankless job. I'm in the restaurant administration business right now (fast food-sort of), close to opening our 3rd location...

Believe it or not, not a lot of money either... hopefully we can change that soon, though.

• Like 2

Parts of food industry fascinate me. Like, how do restaurants know how much foodstuffs to stock daily so they (hopefully) don't run out...?

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

its a difficult juggling act, Urgan… you use the previous day's/week's/month's/day on prev year/season/day of the week sales… analyze them, think of the shelflife of each individual product, the cash flow of your restaurant, the time between order and delivery, account for weekends, paydays, holidays, special events, the superbowl an the planetary alignment of jupiter. then you say fuck it, go with your best intuition/guess and hope for the best.

sometimes hiring a voodoo man to sacrifice a chicken helps too.

• Like 3

Good news! I'm still sick!

no, wait... that was not it.

Good news! My girl just informed me that instead of arriving this saturday, her business trip was changed so she will return until thursday of the next week. maybe.

oops, wrong again. Third is the charm, right?

Good news! I managed to at least do my workout. >_>

Sure... let's go with that one

5x5 narrow squats

5x5 pike pushups, 2 stops (2 secs down, 1 sec up)

60 sec straight back bridge hold

• Like 3

Note to self: Next time I work out, I'll allow my kid to tally the sets again... apparently I did WAAAAAAY more than planned (each checkmark is a completed set)

de6036bcff0a81d56b8b04f68e8ceb57.jpg

• Like 1

I think I'm due for a recipe by now, am I not? Well good news and bad news. I cooked a kickass ceviche de pescado, super simple, yummy and ready in about 15 mins of active cooking time (plus another 45 of waiting)... problem is... I ate it. All. before I snapped a pic because my memory is useless so I did not remember the challenge. Next time, I promise.

In the meantime, we'll go back to basics with a simple (very simple) side-dish.

Bellpeppers & onions PARTY!

Meet your guests: Juliened onions, and bellpeppers from all types of lifes. More colors = better (this is a diverse party). I used Green, Red, Yellow. I also bought orange, but used it previously on something else (although I can't remember what it was). Oh, and you'll also need some bacon. Choose your favourite thickness and type of bacon from your bacon collection and use that. You keep different kinds of bacon in your fridge at all times, don't you? Of course you do, what a silly question. Why wouldn't you?

Hickory smoked bacon, relatively thick slices for me this time.

So... use some chopping skills (or scissors...) to cut the bacon strips into small pieces, throw them into a big pan (I'm using one of those wok-wannabe pans) sweat it till you render the fat, leave enough fat on the pan to fry the veggies (you save the excess for cooking on another occasion, right?).  set the cooked bacon aside.

Now its time to start sweating the onion (that means onion in the pan, good pinch of salt, cook on slow heat for a couple of mins. You don't want brown forming... just the onions to become soft and translucent). Then in go all of the peppers. Turn on the heat to the max and hit play on the stereo. Let the veggies mingle and jump around. Help them do the later.

Reintroduce the bacon, shake shake shake and serve while hot. (if you are feeling sassy, add a squeeze of lime and some sriracha sauce).