Shotokan's quest for better kicks - The ongoing saga continues...

Shotokan

The last few challenges, that didn't go so well, made me realize that I have lost focus on my main goal of improving my Karate kicks. It's time to go back to my roots and focus this challenge on making my kicks better.

1. Focus, focus focus on improving my kicks by kicking every day.

If I want to continue improving my kicks and I really do, I need to kick more often. I need to do at least 1 side thrust kick and 1 roundhouse kick for each leg, each day. I know, anyone can do 4 kicks a day but I want to be able to do this every day and not have any excuses that I'm too sore or too tired to do them. 

2. Work dem hips 4 times a week.

Did I really just type work dem hips??? I guess I did. I need to have my hips and glutes working at peak performance. My kicks are always better when I work my hips and glutes and this time, I need to do some type of hip and or glute workout 4 times a week. This workout can consist of:

The 2-minute workout for strong and powerful glutes

or

Cheechoe's awesome hip routine

or

Some evil workout plan of my own that includes lying side leg raises, glute bridges, band shuffles and other goodies to get awaken the hip and butt muscles. 

The nice thing about the hip workout is, every time I do Cheechoe's hip routine, I am also getting in my daily kicks!  I like combinations! 

3. Without the core, everything else falls apart right? 3 times a week.

The hara, the center of the body or the core, no matter what you call it, I need some more so that I can move from it. Move from your hara my Sensei told me many times and push the knot of your obi forward. Needless to say, when I tighten my lower abs, my kata and kihon really improves. Not only does my posture get better, I move from lower body and not my chest and shoulders. What's the point you ask? The point is, I need to get my abs and lower back in better shape and I will work them 3 times a week.

I am seeing planks, v-sits, cable crunches, dead lifts and other fun stuff happening with this part of my challenge.

Life goal: Find some Zen!

I really need to relax. I am letting too many things stress me out and I need to find some Zen to find my happy place. The goal is to mediate 3 times a week for at least 2 minutes but longer if possible. 

As always, this is subject to change.....

• Like 4

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

It feels good to back in a new challenge again!

Workout 1:

Today's workout felt good! 

I did the following:

2 minute glute workout

Cheechoe's hip routine

3 sets V-sits for 45 seconds each

3 sets of 8 wall squats - I am going back to basics and trying to make my squats better to help make my hips more mobile.

My everyday kata too.

I can't wait for tomorrows workout!

Doug

Woo! Awesome start! And good luck with the squats - my hips are super tight which is screwing with my depth. :(

I have the same problem. My hips are tight and my pelvis is tilted downward so getting into a low squat is almost impossible. The reason that I started doing the wall squats is to try to improve my pelvis position and make my hips more mobile. The current way that I am doing them is to place my hands on a wall and then squat while keeping my lower legs vertical. Another cool movement is the pole squat where you hold on to a vertical pole and squat down as far as you can go. The key that I am finding is to sit back into the squat. I always lean forward and go straight down instead of sitting back, which is a big problem for me.

The article below is the one that I am following in hopes of making my squat better.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/squat-therapy-4-drills-that-will-improve-your-squat

Doug

2. Work dem hips 4 times a week.

Did I really just type work dem hips??? I guess I did. I

Proves you've been hanging around us too long. :P

But I know that feel.  My hips are pretty tight, too.  I should take hints from you and do a hip-devoted challenge.

All the hip mobility for all!

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Guys, you realize, we do a challenge based around hips and Cheechoe will eat us alive. We got the hip routine. If we push her further, she'll throw us in a monk-grinder just to see what comes out. O_O

Kishi has a good point here.

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/54851-week-3-kick-it-up-a-knotch/

The thread above is from a previous challenge that Cheechoe came up with to help our kicks. I don't think I ever recovered from that one.

Doug

Workout 2:

I was hoping to do more today but I had to go teach Karate early because my Sensei was sick. I got to the dojo a little early so that I could do Cheehoe's hip routine and since I didn't get to do more, I spent half of one of the classes working on, you guessed it, kicking drills. I am sure that these kids won't want me teach that class anytime soon after today. 

The good part was, I was able to demonstrate a side thrust kick and a roundhouse kick better than ever before but the bad part is, my hips were really sore and the dojo was freezing cold when it was time for my class. 

I did have to push a car out of my driveway and back into it this morning, does that count as a hip workout?

Edit: I forgot, I did a minute of v-sits with one of the classes and a about 35 pushups too.

Doug

I have the same problem. My hips are tight and my pelvis is tilted downward so getting into a low squat is almost impossible. The reason that I started doing the wall squats is to try to improve my pelvis position and make my hips more mobile. The current way that I am doing them is to place my hands on a wall and then squat while keeping my lower legs vertical. Another cool movement is the pole squat where you hold on to a vertical pole and squat down as far as you can go. The key that I am finding is to sit back into the squat. I always lean forward and go straight down instead of sitting back, which is a big problem for me.

The article below is the one that I am following in hopes of making my squat better.

http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/squat-therapy-4-drills-that-will-improve-your-squat

Ooh. That article is good. And I've done the pole squat, actually - my personal trainer started me on that one. I kept bumping my nose against the pole because I wanted to lean forward. I really should go back to doing those... I think my form has gotten a little worse lately. 

Guys, you realize, we do a challenge based around hips and Cheechoe will eat us alive. We got the hip routine. If we push her further, she'll throw us in a monk-grinder just to see what comes out. O_O

Cheechoe would eat us alive. This is a terrifying thought.

Workout 2:

I was hoping to do more today but I had to go teach Karate early because my Sensei was sick. I got to the dojo a little early so that I could do Cheehoe's hip routine and since I didn't get to do more, I spent half of one of the classes working on, you guessed it, kicking drills. I am sure that these kids won't want me teach that class anytime soon after today. 

The good part was, I was able to demonstrate a side thrust kick and a roundhouse kick better than ever before but the bad part is, my hips were really sore and the dojo was freezing cold when it was time for my class. 

I did have to push a car out of my driveway and back into it this morning, does that count as a hip workout?

On the plus, yay kicks! On the downside, eeew having to push your car out of your driveway. That's no bueno. And if you did a butt wiggle before you started pushing, I totally say it counts. ;)

anigif_enhanced-buzz-11128-1401455796-14

• Like 1

CHALLENGES: CURRENT111098765432, 1

📷 📚

Workout 3:

I thought that my hips were going to be too sore to workout from class yesterday but oddly enough, they didn't feel too bad.

2 minute glute workout

Lying side jackknife 1 set of 10 each leg

Glute bridge 1 set of 10

Cheechoe's hip routine

3 sets of plank 45 seconds each

3 sets of 8 pole squats .

After that, I did 3 Shotokan katas and it felt awesome. I am working on my breathing and how I tense more core for each technique and it is really making a difference. Next came 5 Iaido katas.

I finished up the day with some foam roller work and 10 full minutes of meditation.

• Like 1

Doug

Workout 4:

Today's workout was light and I did my kicks, only 8, but it's better than nothing, right?

I also did some kata work and it went really well again. 

To end the day, some light stretching and 10 minutes of meditation. 

• Like 1

Doug

Workout 5:

I didn't think I would have to time workout but I ended up getting in at least some training. 

I did the 2 minute glute workout. I am seeing some good value in this really simple routine and I am noticing that my glutes aren't asleep as often as they used to be. It could be all the other hips and glute work too but his routine is a simple way to wake up my lower body.

I followed that up with Cheechoe's awesome hip routine. This is quickly becoming the center of my kick training universe.  I do modify the way the I do the kicks somewhat because Shotokan are a little different then TKD kicks but the end result is still awesome. I do need to lay off the stretching part a little because I pushed the   stretch too much and hurt my hip and left quad.

I finished up with 3 sets of 60 seconds of v-sits along with some kata and then later on, teaching Karate and Iaido class.

• Like 1

Doug

Workout 6:

Yesterday was my lazy day, except for about 8 kicks and some kata, I didn't do much else except for teaching Karate. 

Sometimes, rest is good, right?

10 minutes of meditation too.

Doug