Lairpie the Assassin

lairpie

In my ongoing quest to do a challenge themed with each class, the Assassins are up next. So each challenge I'll be doing a workout that focuses on that class, goals that go with the class, and trying to build on what I learn from each class.

Overall:

Convert a few more pounds of fat into muscle, while maintaining roughly the same weight. Ideally would like to have the strength per pound to try rock climbing again, somewhat depending on how my knee feels by the end of the challenge.

Quest 1:

do the PLP60 challenge. I actually started it already, given that there aren't 60 days in a 6 week challenge, and the 18th (when i started writing this post, my time) was day 5. I've been doing it in 2 sets so far, going to see how long I can pull that off. I'll do my PLP stuff pretty early on days I'm not otherwise working out much, and then later on days where I workout in the morning.

Quest 2:

Work on hand stands / hand stand pushups 3x a week. I'm not really sure if this one is going to be physically in the cards for me, as I have a defective inner ear, so not sure if I'm going to be able to do the balancing, but the point here is more about the process and building strength from it. Going to focus on doing this on my non work out days.

Quest 3:

Get up to a 300 second plank - doing 3 sets of 120 now. The sunday before the challenge starts will be a non workout day, so i'll try and do a single max duration plank for a real baseline.

Life-quest

Make time to read before bed, mostly by going to bed earlier.

• Like 5

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Challenges: 4-Warrior, 3-Assassin, 2-Adventurer, 1-Recruit

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"

i got from 30 secs to 4 mins in less than a month, but then got stuck… mostly I think because I upped the amount of exercise I was doing on workout days…

But definitely check out the pvp on my sig if you want to do the spartan plank thing.

"Unfocused" Wizard // Rationalist of the order of Bayes

Lvl 5 Assassin. Lvl 33 Jack of all trades. 7 STR|6 DEX|7 STA|7 CON|16 WIS|8 CHA

Current challenge Wizard in the making: ero san's continuing road of magic

My drawings Sketchbook, Other afiliations The Loft

i got from 30 secs to 4 mins in less than a month, but then got stuck… mostly I think because I upped the amount of exercise I was doing on workout days…

But definitely check out the pvp on my sig if you want to do the spartan plank thing.

Yeah, seeing your sig a while back got that onto my short list for quest goals, thanks.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Go ahead and laugh all you want to, I got my philosophy and I trust it like the ground. That's why my philosophy keeps me walking when I'm falling down -Ben Fold's Five "Philosophy"

I love the consistency of the PLP challenge and am in the middle of doing it myself.  I did switch the other day from push-ups to burpees though.  I figure I should work on them for doing a Spartan Sprint this spring.  Good luck with your other goals.  I will have to check out this plank challenge it sounds interesting.

Spartan Assassin: Level 15

STR31   DEX26   STA27  CON25   WIS28   CHA23

Plank schedule thoughts:

So, my max single plank would be a bit higher, but on 2/19 i'm able to do 3 sets of 130 second planks. I'm aiming to up that by 10 seconds every other day, and on non workout days, try to do a max duration single plank. I may also do 1 rest day a week. I don't think I'll be able to keep going up 10s every 2 days, but going to do that as long as i can. at that rate

2/19 130

3/5: 200

3/25: 300

But again i don't need to be able to do 3, 300s planks, so even when i can't keep up 10s every 2 days of increase, think i may still be ok. If not, I'll be well on down the right direction.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Oh wow it's really fun that you are joining all the guilds in turn! I tried googling the PLP60 thing and I cannot figure out what it is, could you help me with that? ;) 

If you think you will not get your balance up to par for the handstands, you can always do them against the wall and do handstand pushups that way! Have fun here at the assassins! <3

Here's Steve's post about when he did a plp60: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/03/13/that-time-i-did-2440-pull-ups-the-60-day-plp-challenge/

basically you do 10 Pullups, Lunges, Planks (on top of whatever you would have done for a workout otherwise, not instead of)

then the next day you do 11 P, L, P

then 12

etc for 60 days

Obviously these don't have to be all in one set, as doing 69 pull-ups in a row is a pretty lofty task

Today was day 8 so i did a set of 9 of each, then a set of 8 of each.

And yeah, i'm doing my practicing hand stands against a wall for now, hoping to be able to get where i can do hand stand pushups against the wall and at least a little bit of walking around on my hands w/o a wall. We'll see.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Hey, I'm doing handstands too this challenge. It is harder than I thought, but I am also doing it every day (6 days a week). I imagine even with your inner ear problem you'll be able to do a handstand reasonably well. I mean, you walk around without falling, doing a handstand is just the same, except upside down. It might take a little extra practice of course, but I imagine it is still doable. I considered doing the PLP60 challenge too, but I think that one will have to wait until I get better at pull ups.

Level 6 Wood Elf Adventurer, Dragon Trainer

Cha 6 | Con 14 | Dex 10 | Sta 17 | Str 11 | Wis 11

Current Challenge | Battle Log

Goal 1: Eat right 6 times/week

0%
0%

Goal 2: Workout 4 times/week

0%
0%

Goal 3: Sleep an average of 7 hours/night

0%
0%

Life Quest: write music

0%
0%

PLP60 is still cruising along. No signs of trouble.

2 consecutive days of actually working on hand stands, which is sadly i think the first time i've done it 2 days in a row. going to try and keep that going.

up to a 210 second plank. I'd been slacking off a bit on doing planks, but I think the rest benefited me, as I shot from a 2:30 to a 3:30 plank. Going to take today off from planks, then tomorrow try and see how long I can go until i collapse. After that think i'm going to try and do planks 5 days on, 2 off to get a nice recovery time once a week, but get more total planking.

Haven't gotten to read every day, but I've been doing better than I was at making some time to relax and read.

• Like 2

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Missed a day of hand stands yesterday, but going to make up for it today.

Adding a goal that my wife and i are doing, only checking facebook once a day unless there's actually some reason to use it as a communications tool (whcih it is that, in addition to being a giant waste of time)

• Like 1

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Spartan Plank accomplished. That last minute was really long...

Screenshot_2015-03-08-13-06-01.png

Still going along with my PLP60 and doing hand stand practice most days, though not all. Tweaked my knee a bit disc golfing Thursday afternoon, so that sucks. Once I figured out a bit different of a way to throw, was ok, but thinking Ultimate is still pretty far off :-/

• Like 2

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Awesome job on the plank! Do you wear a knee brace regularly?

I always did when i played ultimate in college after some injuries, then I hadn't at all since starting to play again. Then about 2 months ago I hurt my knee pretty bad and have been since then whenever i've been doing things that were a little touchy. I wore it the first hiking trip after the injury but not other than that, but wear it for some working in the shop things and wore it disc golfing last week. I'll definitely wear it this week when I'm helping some friends move. I think about 75% of the value of the brace is reminding me to be careful by being constantly a little uncomfortable, but eh, that's not a bad thing.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Still trucking with the PLP60 challenge. 56 reps today and I'll finish 4/14 during the break between challenges. I've started sort of mixing the plp stuff into my workout on my workout days, pushing for more reps at a time, doing decline pushups on blocks, and adding more other exercises. This seems to be going a lot better for me than trying to keep them fully separate. Then for off days I keep it to just 10 reps per set, however many sets it takes to let muscles recover a bit.

My handstands are definitely not getting enough attention. I'm going to try and practice them twice a day for the rest of the challenge to make up for some of the time i've missed.

So far since the last time I measured (in nov) I've stayed about the same weight and gained about an inch and a half of bicep, lost some right thigh (stupid knee injury) and kept about the same total chest size, though i look distinctly more muscular so i've definitely converted some body fat to muscle. 5/12 will be my official 1 year of caring about my body again, so i'll do some pictures and measurements then. Hoping to shed a few more pounds of fat by then, but still prioritizing building muscle so I'm only running a small calorie deficit on off days, and a fair bit of surplus on workout days. Seems to be working well so far but would really like to focus a bit better for the next month and some change.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Ok, on the goals. PLP60, still cruising (60 days being longer than 6 weeks) but will finish before the next challenge. Hit my spartan plank. Did not do nearly as well either in outcome, or in effort with hand stands. I'm not sure it's really in the cards for a guy without an equilibrium, but I can't really say that when I didn't put in nearly the effort i should have. Going to keep working on that one during the break. Didn't really lose any weight, but am visibly more muscular by a bit, so i probably traded 3 lbs of fat for 2lbs of muscle or so. A few more trades like that and I'll be doing pretty well.

Level 4 Lycan Warrior

Battlelog

Ugh, 2 more days of plp60.

Almost Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm freakin impressed.  I'll be a badass and do a challenge like this one day....

support my challenge:  http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/63641-justdoitkims-epic-hella-fun-challenge/

Looking to lose about 50 lbs. total in the next year or two? 

Snowboard - Dance - Yoga - Crossfit - Bike - Rock Climb - Fun Junkie