Cledbo: Year of the Mother, Part 2

Cledbo

SRpyzKh.gif

This is how I feel a lot these days.

Hai!

I'm back, for challenge numero 6. I found with my last challenge that Foodz is by far the toughest part, and given that I am now officially 10kg heavier than I was before I got all knocked up, I think fitness definitely takes a back seat to nutrition these days. Nomz = my downfall, every time.

Main Quest: Get to the end of pregnancy, and then beyond, in a healthy, semi-rested, mostly sane state. Just under 3 months to go!

Fitness
  • Walk at least 5km a day, keep slogging towards Mordor but don't go too crazy
  • Yoga and meditation - I have a package which covers 3 weeks of this challenge, so hopefully I can sign up for 3 more too but if not I will go to classes casually. 
  • Xtend Barre - No limit/goal, go when I feel like it, until I don't feel like it no more.

This goal is downgraded for this challenge, as I'll only get bigger and bigger. Walking (and bending over) will be hard enough! I'll only be seriously tracking walking, because as I get too tired for Barre it'll be my main exercise (as it will be post-natal, when I can't do diddly squat for at least 6 weeks and probably won't want to anyway). 5km/day for 6 weeks = 210km = +3STA

Nutrition

tumblr_mf72dnuV8l1rnvwt1.gif

Ugh. Seriously, I've been lamer than lame. I had a long heart-to-heart with myself (over an ice cream...) about what is going on, and I think the key word is SIMPLIFY.
I've painted myself into a corner many times trying to stick to my food restrictions, then finding it too hard and going completely off the deep end. My skin has suffered a bit, mainly from Xmas of "eat all the things", but it isn't crazy bad even with continued bad eating so going all out on food restrictions (and dealing with the mega-stress that comes along with that) isn't necessary.

Here's the cliff notes of what I eventually decided for this challenge:
  • Leftovers are in. They are literally the only way I will survive the rest of the rules below.
  • No junk takeaway, but some takeaway is OK. Similar to what Steve does with his lunches, I've made up a list of 'acceptable' fast food, rather than trying to avoid it completely, because I'm the cook in the house and if I don't feel like cooking, then it's either fast food or starving me and my baby (and my partner) to death. Asking him to cook has never worked before, I don't need the stress of trying that again.
  • Snack on fruit or veg only, or a handful of nuts once a day - no more mini cheeses, rice cakes or other snacks. I'm not too concerned with my fruit intake (unless I end up with gestational diabetes or something) compared with just snacking better. I also want to replace my post-meal ice cream with fruit, because that sweet tooth is a killer at the moment.
  • Get over the feelings of 'boredom' from eating very similar things when cooking at home. I'm a bit precious, such a first world problem, and really eating steak/stir fry/sausages/shepherd's pie/chicken thighs/repeat isn't as big of a deal as my stupid needy brain makes it out to be (and then uses as an excuse to go get Nando's instead).

There's a few habits linked to these rules that I want to build, but I won't bore you with the details unless you're interested. I had a look back at the NF archives about habit formation and motivation to help me, such a good resource :)

I'm going to measure success using the 'achievements unlocked' method rather than point scoring this time, because I can see slips in my future and as mentioned *several* times, I don't need stress right now. I need good food, sleep, and lots of self-forgiveness.

Achievements To Unlock for Nutrition

• one week without takeaway
  • dinner out without soft drink or dessert
  • game night without bad snacks (byo veg, fruit, some dips OK but no chips or lollies!), and have salad etc for dinner
  • At least 6 office days without biscuits, chocolate etc (I'm in the office 2 days per week, so this is half the challenge with no naughties)

Life quest - Finish my baby stuff registry (our shower is on 11/4 and I keep procrastinating) +3 WIS

So that's pretty much it. Scaling things back is tough for me, I can be such a hyper-competitive person. This challenge is both my first attempt at doing that and really focussing on the most important thing (food), as well as tackling the thing that has been hardest for me for a while now (also food).

Any tips from current or former pregnant peeps, or peeps who lived with pregnant peeps, on how to deal with nutrition when all you want to do is go to sleep and/or eat your body-weight in french fries? (And when your partner doesn't cook and will always always always buy takeaway whenever you suggest he cook instead of you?)

Here's to a successful challenge, everyone :)

Valkyrie Assassin/Adventurer

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

Previous Challenges: 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th

Any tips from current or former pregnant peeps, or peeps who lived with pregnant peeps, on how to deal with nutrition when all you want to do is go to sleep and/or eat your body-weight in french fries? (And when your partner doesn't cook and will always always always buy takeaway whenever you suggest he cook instead of you?)

I didn't get any weird food cravings when I was pregnant, but I did eat a LOT. Oh, one time I did leave work to go to the grocery store to buy chocolate cake. But it was mostly french fries for me. Like, all the time.

I just made sure that we had real and good food in the house so that there was always something to make for supper and QUCIK. It was always more a matter of speed than content or variety. There were a couple of times that I just made dinner for me and everyone else in the house had to fend for themselves. 

• Like 2

Mini update: Going ok so far except for ice cream, and the popcorn I had on movie night (though I got a small and no soft drink, so that's something at least).

All other meals have been good to ok - pork cutlets, gnocchi with avocado and chicken, home-made burgers and shepherd's pie, and a few bought lunches including pho, teriyaki beef with rice, and subway.

Just remembered I ate half a packet of m&ms and a bunch of snakes on Monday while playing talisman so that's a couple more marks in the not so good column there.

Went to Xtend yesterday, which was fine at the time, then woke up with a head cold so didn't go to work today (I slept until midday despite going to bed on time so clearly I needed it)

Walking today was a bust, I'll do a proper update when I do my spreadsheet on the weekend though.

No progress on life quest yet.

Thanks Countess for the speed tip - my dinners this week all reflect this requirement as well, so that's definitely something I think I can aim for successfully in my meal planning :-)

All spelling mistakes are auto correct's fault, especially the dirty ones. Sent from Tapatalk.

• Like 1

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

Just remembered I ate half a packet of m&ms and a bunch of snakes on Monday while playing talisman so that's a couple more marks in the not so good column there.  Snakes? Please tell me they were gummie snakes?

• Like 1

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

Yes they were gummie snakes, though being Australian it's entirely possible they could have been real - that wouldn't have been in the bad column though, very paleo! Lol.

Major step forward for reducing diet related stress - my partner, of his own volition, has volunteered to cook at least twice a week, on those days I really don't like to because I'm tired after a long day. I didn't even ask, I think he's picked up my fatigue and also wants to eat less takeaway himself which is great.

Speaking of takeaway, had pizza (potato, cheese and chicken, so not terrible - medium poor choice, though the garlic bread was 100% not cool!), as well as more ice cream, & hot cross buns.

Meditation tonight was good though. We did a session on non attachment, and food is what instantly popped up as my issue to mull over - specifically getting attached to eating a specific not-healthy thing when there are other emotions at play, and eating more than I need to simply because the food is there. Need to do more mulling, will post in the mindful eating group about it. Oh and I get +1 wisdom from week 1's mini for joining that group AND following people I haven't followed before :-)

Walking was a little behind on average, but I stayed in bed almost all day Thursday so that isn't surprising. Yoga was good, I'm sad I won't be able to keep doing it after this course is up, the next course doesn't start till after Easter and that is probably too close to my due date. I will keep going to meditation though.

Nothing on life quest still. I'm such a procrastinator.

Sleepy time now. I should do a proper update one of these days, but my place is all over the head much of the time, haha :-D

All spelling mistakes are auto correct's fault, especially the dirty ones. Sent from Tapatalk.

• Like 2

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

Major step forward for reducing diet related stress - my partner, of his own volition, has volunteered to cook at least twice a week, on those days I really don't like to because I'm tired after a long day. I didn't even ask, I think he's picked up my fatigue and also wants to eat less takeaway himself which is great. Ever once in a while we males do pick up on a few things without being nagged... <g> Glad to hear that he's helping out more in  the kitchen, I know I love to cook for people.

Speaking of takeaway, had pizza (potato, cheese and chicken, so not terrible - medium poor choice, though the garlic bread was 100% not cool!), as well as more ice cream, & hot cross buns. Potato on a pizza? sounds different. My goodness I miss pizza...

Meditation tonight was good though. We did a session on non attachment, and food is what instantly popped up as my issue to mull over - specifically getting attached to eating a specific not-healthy thing when there are other emotions at play, and eating more than I need to simply because the food is there.  I think this is something many of us struggle with, good to hear that you have a way to deal with it in a constructive manner.

Walking was a little behind on average, but I stayed in bed almost all day Thursday so that isn't surprising. Yoga was good, I'm sad I won't be able to keep doing it after this course is up, the next course doesn't start till after Easter and that is probably too close to my due date. I will keep going to meditation though.  Is it worth asking the instructor's opinion about doing yoga close to your due date? You never know, maybe you can still take part in some fashion since you clearly  enjoy it a lot.

Nothing on life quest still. I'm such a procrastinator. Don't beat yourself up, you have a lot on your plate at the moment.

Have a great week and keep in touch.

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Get over the feelings of 'boredom' from eating very similar things when cooking at home. I'm a bit precious, such a first world problem, and really eating steak/stir fry/sausages/shepherd's pie/chicken thighs/repeat isn't as big of a deal as my stupid needy brain makes it out to be (and then uses as an excuse to go get Nando's instead).

This actually has legitimate brain chemistry behind it. I wish I bookmarked the article that talks about it; but in a nutshell- there is less and less of the dopamine released when we eat the same foods and eventually; that leads to resentment of the food.  Even switching things up a little bit in terms of presentation (while still using the bulk same ingredients) can make some difference.  It's fighting your instincts.

I see your chicken gif and raise you a 10 hour youtube video whilst epic music plays.

• Like 1

Yay holiday Monday :) I'm flying to Canberra, the nation's capital (of boredom, haha) this afternoon for work so am relaxing as much as possible right now. My big presentation is tomorrow and I've practiced a little but not really enough, so after this I think I'll go print the slides again so I can look at it on the plane. Thankfully not a long flight, as sitting in the same position for too long is very uncomfortable these days!

Game night was fun but a total bust, food wise. We had Thai last night too because I was having muscle cramps at the same time Spawn decided to use my abs as a dance floor, and neither of us had the energy to go to the shop first to buy the necessary food. It was good Thai, though, lots of veggies. I did get ice cream too, however :/

Yoga was great, as was Xtend Barre. My walking isn't fantastic but I might still make the 5km average over the whole challenge. Sleep has been my biggest problem this week, it has not been good at all!

On a very positive note, to end this little update, I made a proper start on the baby registry! There's still a lot to go on it, but the key things that I needed to do a heap of research for are done - cot, pram, infant capsule, bouncer, breast pump, cloth diapers (or nappies as we call them down here). Stuff like clothes and toys I have guidelines for people rather than specific requests - though my partner found both a Captain Marvel and a Greatest American Hero baby suit which are so damn cute (fyi I don't know what we're having, but if it's a girl she still gets to be the Greatest American Hero ;)

Off to eat again, because apparently my appetite is as insatiable as my need to change sitting positions every 5 minutes!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

Having a little alien growing inside you is the freakiest thing I've ever heard of, but at least this one likes to dance!

My exposure to little people is very limited, but I'm always surprised by how much "stuff" people need to care for a 8 lbs baby. I thought my sister would be towing a U-haul trailer when she had her first.

Glad to see that you're enjoying the experience so much, are you keeping a "Momma's Journal"?

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Achievement unlocked - dinner out with no dessert or soft drink

Ok so I feel like this is a bit of a cheat, because the biggest reason I didn't drink soft drink or have dessert, or indeed finish my meal at all, is that I have been having mad acid reflux for like 3 days, and literally couldn't eat.

I didn't have dinner last night, I napped for about 3 hours after work (yes, on a Saturday - I am clearly insane. Worked Sunday too! Eugh) then got up and ate an ice cream and went back to bed. Today I didn't eat lunch. I've just had some antacid tablets so hopefully that will quell the fires! Sucktastic.

Had to postpone yoga this week because of work today, and I skipped out on Xtend Barre this week because I pulled my back slightly bending over to get something from my bag. I decided that going to a fairly strenuous exercise class when walking about 2 hours beforehand had been quite painful, wasn't a good idea.

I'm sad to report I'm waaay behind on my step average - its currently sitting at 2km a day for the challenge so far. To make my goal, I would need to get 6km a day every day, which I'm telling you now ain't gonna happen. I went for a walk with my partner to check out the local sports fields, a 2.5km round trip, and I was so uncomfortable when I got home I had to lie down until my hips and abs stopped hurting! I think I can walk about 500m at a time with no probs, but get closer to a kilometer and we're having problems.

I think I'll have to let this one go, because I will be walking less and less as what constitutes 'me' gets to be more and more!

Prior to the acid reflux redux of this week, snacking has been a bit of an issue. Ironically, at the office I'm fine, but at home I'm foregoing fruit and especially veg (out, damn carrot, out I say!) in favour of hot cross buns,  baby cheeses, and other equally less healthy choices. Takeaway choices haven't been *too* bad, I'm tending towards rice-based dishes if I feel like carbs, but have had burger with chips twice in the past week.

A big part of me does want to fix this, but a more...forceful part wants to eat whatever the hell I want until after the baby comes. I'm just so tired! I think of those pregnant women who are eating all the right things (or so they claim..) and think gosh I don't even have the energy to make cup-a-soup a lot of the time, let alone bone broth with organic vegetables and whatnot.

So far the bloke has cooked twice, spag bol and chicken stir fry. Both were yummers. I've asked him to cook tomorrow because I'll only have an hour available between appointments in the evening (luckily the after-dinner one is meditation - nothing onerous!) and he's all over it :) it's a fine sign. Next on the list (and probably not for a while) is to not buy ice creams any more. One day ;)

My presentation went really well, which is a huge relief!

And Petefeet - no, I'm not keeping a Mumma's journal though I probably should be, shouldn't I?! It would be pretty boring these days, all "getting kicked, can't sleep, enough with the reflux already". Not very exciting stuff, haha. I have been taking photos of my burgeoning belly though, maybe I can make a gif out of them at the end to show my 'growth'!

• Like 1

Epic Quest

Current Challenge:

I'm so lame, thanks for checking in Pete and Countess.

I've been tired/busy/tired/sleeping, and in between I've been reading baby books (about them, not for them), and trying to get the house in order.

This challenge has definitely fallen over a cliff. I can't walk more than about 500 m at a time without mucho ab pain, so that goal is kaput. Food is a "whatever I feel like, whenever I actually feel like it" proposition.

That's probably the crux of it. It's nigh impossible to make goal-based choices when in the final weeks of pregnancy! My main goal is to sleep as much as possible, followed closely by doing and learning whatever I can to make labour an easier thing than it might otherwise be.

I'm still going to pop in to check everyone else's challenges though, and come back to the NF way once I've recovered a bit from the whole having a baby then looking after a baby thing ;)

• Like 1

Epic Quest

Current Challenge: