Ryuu1011

Pre-Challenge: That Which Gets Measured Gets Improved

Calculating my Calorie Needs/ Expenditure to reduce my Weight & Body Fat%

DSTFBrotherhood.JPG

I know most people don't like counting calories, but I'm not even going to lie, I enjoy tracking things, I like having my Fitbit track my steps and remind me to stay active on an everyday basis, & I like counting my calories. Its worked for me so far so I'm not going to stop now. MyFittnessPal makes it very easy to track all of my macronutrients and food and helps me stay on track. But how can you determine your calorie needs? Follow along and I'll show you how I came up with mine :D

Step 1: Determining your Maintenance Level Calories

Calculate your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) [i.e. the calories you would burn if you stayed in bed all day doing nothing]

1st Get a rough estimate of you body fate percentage using this cool online calculator

Then multiply that number by your total body weight (to get how much fat you've got)

Me: 165 x 19.1% ( or .195) = 32.175 lbs

Subtract this number from your total body weight to determine your lean body mass.

Me: 165 - 32.175 = 132.825 lbs

Convert this to kilograms (kg) by dividing by 2.2

Me: 132.825lbs / 2.2 = 60.375 kg

Finally enter your lean body mass into the formula: BMR (men and women)= 370 + (21.6 x lean mass in kg)

My BMR = 370 + (21.6 x 60.375) = 1675 [rounded to nearest 5]

Use an Activity Multiplier

Multiply your BMR by an activity multiplier to estimate your energy expenditure:

Lightly Active= BMR x 1.375 (light exercise/ sports 1-3 days/wk)

Moderately Active= BMR x 1.55 (moderate exercise/ sports 3-5 days/wk)

Very Active= BMR x 1.725  (hard exercise/ sports 6-7 days/wk) 

Me (Moderate): 1675 x 1.55 = 2600 [rounded to the nearest 100]

Step 2: Set the Caloric Deficit

I went with a moderate deficit of about 20% below maintenance for my fat loss goals. 

Multiply your daily energy expenditure by 20% (or .8) to get your deficit 

Me: 2600 x .8 = 2,080

That puts me eating about 2,080 calories per day. Obviously this number is not exact nor do I try and hit it exactly, I understand that it is an estimate, and eat a little more somedays and a little less others, but overall I try and hit around this number. It is also necessary to adjust this number as my weight changes or if I am exceedingly more active on one day (what my Fitbit is good for helping me track)

Step 3: Setting the Macronutrients

***This is where MyFitnessPal comes in very handy b/c it will do all of this for you***

Protein: I aim for 1g per lbs of my goal body weight (about 30% of my total calories)

Me: 2,080 x .3 = 624 total calories from Protein

624/4 (# of cal in 1g of Protein) = 156g of Protein

Fat: I aim for about 30% of my total calories to come from fat 

Me: 2,080 x .3 = 624 total calories from Fat

642/9 (# of cal in 1g of fat) = 70g of Fat

Carbs: I aim for about 40% of my total calories to come from Carbs

Me: 2,080 x .4 = 832 total calories from Carbs

832/4 (# of cal in 1g of Carbs)= 208g of Carbs

I've tinkered with these percentages a lot and most of the time as long as I get my ~ 150g of Protein and stay under my total Calories I'm not super finicky about my fats or carbs, but their normally within 5% of those goals. 

Stay Tuned! Up next, weekly workouts & my plan for obtaining my strength goals :)

• Like 4

Half-Elf: Ranger/Assassin

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Old Battle Logs [2017] New Battle Log 2018: Reforged

DragonForging My Life: Epic Quests [Google D] Epic Quests [NF]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

Woo Hoo!! Let's get that handstand! I will be working on it too. Will be checking out that progression website suggestion. Like the goals and looking forward to following your progress. Am ready to join the Brotherhood, cleanse Rome, and save Brightwater! WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK WE ARE!?! 

YEAH! I'm super excited too, lets do this!!

Challenges: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6a] [6b] [7] [8] [8.5] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [ --> Battle Log]

Lifter Profile [Symmetric Strength] Racer Profile [Athlinks] Body Comp [G-Sheet] Running Stats [G-Sheet]

Been wanting to for a while so I decided to make some PVC Paralettes for fun today. Its going to be a lot of fun to use them in the upcoming challenge. Plus Everything included they only cost about $30. If anyone wanted to make their own check out this easy DIY guide

And here is the awesome guide that I'm going to be trying to do a few things from :D

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 3

Ooo look at all that info. So borrowing.

Yay another new timer. I been with the Druids last challenge and I'm looking forward to this time working with the Assassins. So looking forward to this new challenge even more now.

Good luck on your ambitious goal of 30 secs. I know I need to always have high standards too. Only way I'll actually do anything.

• Like 2

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Been wanting to for a while so I decided to make some PVC Paralettes for fun today. Its going to be a lot of fun to use them in the upcoming challenge. Plus Everything included they only cost about $30. If anyone wanted to make their own check out this easy DIY guide

And here is the awesome guide that I'm going to be trying to do a few things from :D

hqdefault.jpg

Very cool!! If I were a more craftsy person, I'd try to do this for myself, too. :D

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Let's go then Assassin! Show me your Greatness!

Race: Half-Elf          Class: Warrior-Assassin

Level: 0                     Last Challenge:

----------------------------------------------------------------------
STR: x | CON: x | DEX: x | INT: x | WIS: x | CHA: x |

"[I am] the spark that will light the flame of the Rebellion"

Ooo look at all that info. So borrowing.

Yay another new timer. I been with the Druids last challenge and I'm looking forward to this time working with the Assassins. So looking forward to this new challenge even more now.

Good luck on your ambitious goal of 30 secs. I know I need to always have high standards too. Only way I'll actually do anything.

Please do, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me :) Yep high standards keep me motivated too, makes you have to fight for it, not just coast.

Dang, so many people are getting into training handstands... makes me wanna try out luck too!

DO IT ! DO IT! :D I also updated our Habit RPG so we should have about 4 people in our party now :)

Very cool!! If I were a more craftsy person, I'd try to do this for myself, too. :D

They seriously we not very hard at all, the tutorial is super easy to follow and their price is unbeatable most paralettes online cost like $70-90 :/ give it a shot and you will not be disappointed :)

Let's go then Assassin! Show me your Greatness!

Great to have you on board, keep checking in regularly and you'll have all the greatness you can handle ;)

• Like 3

Hooray for handstand successes and parallettes!  I should warn you, though, that combining the two (i.e. doing handstands on the parallettes) is kind of scary.  Or at least, I'm nervous that mine will fall apart at exactly the wrong time.  

For the handstands, have you practiced any smooth bail outs?  Falling on your back sounds painful, so you might want to spend a little time working on either doing a front roll out of the handstand or doing a pirouette bail.

• Like 3

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

For the handstands, have you practiced any smooth bail outs?  Falling on your back sounds painful, so you might want to spend a little time working on either doing a front roll out of the handstand or doing a pirouette bail.

Good point. I'm squirreling this nugget away for later....

• Like 1

Level 13 Shape-shifting Warrior Monk

STR:45 | DEX:18 | STA:10 | CON:37 | WIS:37 | CHA:27

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

Battle Log : MFP : Instagram : Challenges - 1, 23456789101112

Hooray for handstand successes and parallettes!  I should warn you, though, that combining the two (i.e. doing handstands on the parallettes) is kind of scary.  Or at least, I'm nervous that mine will fall apart at exactly the wrong time.  

OMG yeah! I'm not that crazy (yet) ;) I'm mostly going to be using them to practice my front Tuck Sit, L Sit, and Tuck Planche. As well as dips and pushups. 

As far as practicing my smooth bail outs, I've done a little but never really known thats what it was called >_< . Its normally not straight on my back, but most of the time I manage to catch myself on my elbow (which is probably still not good), but I'm going to give that pirouette bail a shot and hopefully that will help :) Love the link Thanks! 

D1 Morning Wake Up Exercises

40 Push Ups

5 Towel Pull-ups (to work on my grip strength)

5 Min Handstand Practice & Pirouette Bail out Practice

• Like 3

I've heard good things are going on over here, so I thought I'd take a peek.  Good luck with your challenge.  It sounds like you're very dialed-in.

• Like 2

Level 32 Minifig Jedi Assassin

Current Challenge  | Battle Log | "Epic" Quest

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6789101111.51213141516171819, 2021222324, 25, 262728293031323334

"A man who wants to do something will find a way; a man who doesn't will find an excuse." -Stephan Dolley, Jr.

"You don't get stronger by skipping workouts." - me, to myself, about 3 times a week

I've heard good things are going on over here, so I thought I'd take a peek.  Good luck with your challenge.  It sounds like you're very dialed-in.

Day One

Assassins-Creed-Brotherhood-Photos.jpg

Strength Workout-

Weighted Chin Ups

3 sets 5/3/1 Reps @ 25/30/35lbs

2 sets 4/6 Reps @ 45/35lbs (added +5lbs since last workout)

Standing Shoulder Press (Barbell)

3 sets 5/3/1 Reps @ 85/ 95/ 110lbs

2 sets 4/6 Reps @ 120/110lbs (added +5lbs since last workout)

Standing Archer's Cable Row

3 sets 5/3/1 Reps @ 45/60/65lbs

2 sets 6/8 Reps @ 75/65

Lateral Raises

4 sets 10/10/10/10 Reps @ 20/25/20/25 lbs

Hanging Leg Raises

2 sets 12/10 Reps @ 0/0 lbs

I also completed my Strength Feat for The Assault on Brightwater:

Squat

3 sets 6 Reps each @ 170lbs 

Overall it was a good workout, I am really feeling it in my shoulders from increasing my weight on my pull up and shoulder press. Lateral Raises were a pain, still can't manage all 4 sets at 25lbs really wish their was a 22.5lbs dumbbell, but hopefully I'll get it next week or at least one more set with 25s.

• Like 2

Ryu! Subbing to cheer on my comrade in arms. "Dominate" is indeed the appropriate word for what you'll do to this challenge. ^^

Nice workout! And yes, lateral raises suck. :P

• Like 1

Level 0 Air Nomad Assassin
STR: 0 STA: 0 DEX: 0 CON: 0 WIS: 0 CHA: 0

Current Challenge: [Url= http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/80570-phayze-accepts-an-apprenticeship-as-an-airbender-respawn/]Apprentice Airbender![/url]

Check Out My LEGO Stuff on Flickr!
"The next golden age of human achievement begins here and now" -Neil Degrasse Tyson, Cosmos

OK just found this and while I may not be able to do it for this 6-week challenge this workout series looks awesome and in based entirely off of the Assassin's Creed Games. I think I may make it my workout once I get tired of what I'm currently doing.  Check it out here.

Ryu! Subbing to cheer on my comrade in arms. "Dominate" is indeed the appropriate word for what you'll do to this challenge. ^^

Nice workout! And yes, lateral raises suck. :tongue:

Thanks! Glad to have you here :) Together we shall vanquish all who oppose us! :D 

• Like 1

I need to build up strength to do that Assassins Creed workout. I'll just save it on my Stumbleupon.

• Like 1

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram

I need to build up strength to do that Assassins Creed workout. I'll just save it on my Stumbleupon.

Most of the strength exercises don't look too bad, but combining all of them into one weeks worth of workouts like it suggests in the plan would make for one heck of a week. I might play around with it some later in the challenge but like you I just saved it to my Pinterest, definitely going to try it out next challenge :)

Day Two Morning Wake Up Routine

40 Push Ups

10 Pull Ups

5 Min Handstand Practice

*Edit* Added 20 Mountain Climbers- TO GET TO HIGHER GROUND FROM THE ZOMBIES!!!!

• Like 3

Sorry for being a little late... subbing to support the assassiness and habit teammate :D

Never to late to join the Brotherhood :) 

• Like 1

40 push-ups is pretty impressive, especially if you just rolled out of bed. 

I can do proper push-ups, too, but my arm strength is such piffle I crank out maybe 5-6 of them at a time then collapse. Sad trombone.

The stronger the body the more it obeys, the weaker the body the more it commands. -- Siegmund Klein

40 push-ups is pretty impressive, especially if you just rolled out of bed. 

I can do proper push-ups, too, but my arm strength is such piffle I crank out maybe 5-6 of them at a time then collapse. Sad trombone.

Thanks! 

I started with 20 near the end of January and have been adding 5 more every week since. 40 is pretty hard and I normally have to hold for a few seconds when I hit the 30's but I do finish them all in one set. My goal is to reach 50 in the next few weeks :)

• Like 4

You've got a progressive program going on, so you should be there rather soon, I have no doubt.

Thanks! 

I started with 20 near the end of January and have been adding 5 more every week since. 40 is pretty hard and I normally have to hold for a few seconds when I hit the 30's but I do finish them all in one set. My goal is to reach 50 in the next few weeks :)

Impressive.

~Paulo Coelho

My Inspiration

My challenge

Instagram