danica pushes harder to get better/faster/stronger

danica

That sounds like a really awesome gym + a fantastic coach. Is this a strength + conditioning gym or is there some kind of sport/competition focus?

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

That sounds like a really awesome gym + a fantastic coach. Is this a strength + conditioning gym or is there some kind of sport/competition focus?

It's a strength training gym focused on kinetic strength. We train everyone from baseball players to golfers and skiers and people like me who just want to look like real life superheroes. We're also now the official Mas Wrestling gym of Oklahoma and host strongman competitions (one is this Saturday). :)

danica

Level 3 Warrior Assassin 

See my instagram for photos of my training and also my Sphynx cats.

I log my daily programming at my battle log.

Challenges: Current - Warrior 2 - Warrior 1

So I'm caught up now.. Whew two days of sneak reading at work and Im back. Sorry to hear about your loss, my condolences to you and your family. Glad your finding a way through it all and still training. And as usually your training sounds hardcore. Your starting to win me over with this kinetic strength stuff. Keep it up my good viking.

• Like 1

Yesterday I just did a ton of push ups...regular, deficit, fingertip and man makers. I did my man makers in sets of 3 and broke up sets with sit-ups. Axe chopped with 25# mace. Today I demoed Mas wrestling. Oklahoma needs more lady Mas wrestlers.

danica

Level 3 Warrior Assassin 

Did I mention how quickly this challenge derailed for me? What a bust! Family death crushed me this time around. I got halfway through my stuff, so that's good, and improved my pushups significantly, along with my stretching and bodyweight power, but runs and rock climbing fell apart. This next challenge, I'm going to rethink my goals and build out an Assassin/Warrior hybrid challenge I can really dig deep on. 

My eval for this challenge:

1. When I program on my own, go in with a plan and execute it well and with great vigor and work on one "goat" each workout. I struggle with this because I often get there and suddenly it's easy to talk myself into doing my favorites at a half-pace since my coach isn't pushing me when I train alone. I am committing to making at least ONE movement for each workout in the week something I totally hate (kettlebell lunges, deficit or knee-to-elbow pushups, pull ups on the rings or bar, pistols, or Sots presses, for a few examples).

This one did pretty well - I actually went into my solo workouts with more purpose, especially working on my bodyweight movements like pushups and sit-ups. Definitely helped me improve both of those movements. 

2. Rock climbing at the rock climbing gym at least 1 day each week. I found this on accident while doing my last challenge. Guys, it's awesome. I had no idea it was that much fun to scale a wall! I'd like to get way better at this, so I'm committing to at least 1 day each week of just monkeying around on the bouldering and traverse walls so I can eventually do the inverted walls. I'd like to master the Level I inverted wall path by the end of this challenge (so far, I can do about 15 of the 50 feet of it).

This one I did for half of the challenge. I didn’t master any Level I inverted walls, mostly because I spent more time on the traverse walls focusing on understanding more of how to use the grips beyond just pulling on them.

3. Run through downtown on my lunch break at least once per week. Do a shittier path each time. By shitty, I mean longer or more incline. I hate running, guys. I hate it so much. But I'm getting better at it, and would like to continue to improve on this. I don't think I'll ever be a parkour wizard, but I'd like to be able to run and be more agile.

Half my challenge I stuck to a run a week. I really need to work on this area more. 

4. Work on mobility. I need to become more pliable. My gym is about to become the first MAS wrestling certified gym in my state and I'd LOVE to play around with MAS, but I'd probably tear a hamstring doing it right now since I can't bend very well. I'll accomplish this with mobility at the beginning of each workout and do yoga on my active recovery day(s). 

This definitely got better. Not only did I get more flexible, I got better at Mas Wrestling…so much so that no one will wrestle me. Mas keeps my hips VERY open and flexible, and that has helped me with my strength. I did some yoga movements here and there, but Mas was really enough to stretch out my hamstrings and back and hips. 

5. Increase my grip strength. I have some workouts from my coach I need to start chipping away at daily to help with this. One is a mace focused workout and one is a grip and fine motor skill movement workout that pretty much blows my forearms out. These will be the end of my workouts depending on the rest of my programming each day (my mace workout takes about 15 minutes, but the grip one is more like 5-10 min). I'd like to be able to grip, lift, and walk with the 3 inch cannonball gripped rolling thunder weights at 25# each hand for 100 feet by the end of this. Right now I can barely do 25 feet. 

This one I mastered. My grip strength is way better and I can not only do the rolling thunder for 100 feet, but I also improved my fat grip curls in one week, going from 45 up to 52 reps without stopping, and I still had more in the tank on the last rep. My biceps have grown another inch. I can’t wait to dress like a superhero for Halloween. 

So, bodyweight power, up. Grip strength, up. Mas wrestling, I am mas boss. Still need to work on runs and rocks. 3/5 not bad. Assassins, this has been fun. I'm definitely still a weightlifter, but I'm going to think on some creative ways to really use odd objects to make this next challenge a fun one. I feel like I failed at so much (kettlebell challenge got sacked after family death derailed me), but I feel like this next couple months is going to be epic for my personal development. I've come a long way since not being able to do a single pushup a year ago to reps of spiderman pushups. It's amazing what some grit and practice can do. 

danica

Level 3 Warrior Assassin 

Total boss mode. It looks like you are weighing running 1x per week and climbing 1x per week the same as the more frequent activities in your other goals, so I see why you might not feel as successful. If you weighted by total activities instead, you'd see a pretty good result, I think.

You are just making heaps of progress and taking so many names in Mas that no one even wants to wrestle you anymore? Haha! You're awesome.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Total boss mode. It looks like you are weighing running 1x per week and climbing 1x per week the same as the more frequent activities in your other goals, so I see why you might not feel as successful. If you weighted by total activities instead, you'd see a pretty good result, I think.

You are just making heaps of progress and taking so many names in Mas that no one even wants to wrestle you anymore? Haha! You're awesome.

Good point. Thanks for the much-needed perspective!

As far as Mas goes, it's kind of sad. I really love it - it's a short burst of intense activity that asks for massive grip and core strength, and it's so random and fun. But, being at a strength advantage, none of the women want to wrestle because they're too competitive...you know, the types that won't play if they can't win. My mas demo this past weekend? Only one lady wrestled and everyone else had a million excuses. I have no idea how to keep getting even better if I can't wrestle people regularly. We'll see where it goes. 

danica

Level 3 Warrior Assassin 

Did I mention how quickly this challenge derailed for me? What a bust! Family death crushed me this time around. I got halfway through my stuff, so that's good, and improved my pushups significantly, along with my stretching and bodyweight power, but runs and rock climbing fell apart. This next challenge, I'm going to rethink my goals and build out an Assassin/Warrior hybrid challenge I can really dig deep on. 

My eval for this challenge:

1. When I program on my own, go in with a plan and execute it well and with great vigor and work on one "goat" each workout. I struggle with this because I often get there and suddenly it's easy to talk myself into doing my favorites at a half-pace since my coach isn't pushing me when I train alone. I am committing to making at least ONE movement for each workout in the week something I totally hate (kettlebell lunges, deficit or knee-to-elbow pushups, pull ups on the rings or bar, pistols, or Sots presses, for a few examples).

This one did pretty well - I actually went into my solo workouts with more purpose, especially working on my bodyweight movements like pushups and sit-ups. Definitely helped me improve both of those movements. 

2. Rock climbing at the rock climbing gym at least 1 day each week. I found this on accident while doing my last challenge. Guys, it's awesome. I had no idea it was that much fun to scale a wall! I'd like to get way better at this, so I'm committing to at least 1 day each week of just monkeying around on the bouldering and traverse walls so I can eventually do the inverted walls. I'd like to master the Level I inverted wall path by the end of this challenge (so far, I can do about 15 of the 50 feet of it).

This one I did for half of the challenge. I didn’t master any Level I inverted walls, mostly because I spent more time on the traverse walls focusing on understanding more of how to use the grips beyond just pulling on them.

3. Run through downtown on my lunch break at least once per week. Do a shittier path each time. By shitty, I mean longer or more incline. I hate running, guys. I hate it so much. But I'm getting better at it, and would like to continue to improve on this. I don't think I'll ever be a parkour wizard, but I'd like to be able to run and be more agile.

Half my challenge I stuck to a run a week. I really need to work on this area more. 

4. Work on mobility. I need to become more pliable. My gym is about to become the first MAS wrestling certified gym in my state and I'd LOVE to play around with MAS, but I'd probably tear a hamstring doing it right now since I can't bend very well. I'll accomplish this with mobility at the beginning of each workout and do yoga on my active recovery day(s). 

This definitely got better. Not only did I get more flexible, I got better at Mas Wrestling…so much so that no one will wrestle me. Mas keeps my hips VERY open and flexible, and that has helped me with my strength. I did some yoga movements here and there, but Mas was really enough to stretch out my hamstrings and back and hips. 

5. Increase my grip strength. I have some workouts from my coach I need to start chipping away at daily to help with this. One is a mace focused workout and one is a grip and fine motor skill movement workout that pretty much blows my forearms out. These will be the end of my workouts depending on the rest of my programming each day (my mace workout takes about 15 minutes, but the grip one is more like 5-10 min). I'd like to be able to grip, lift, and walk with the 3 inch cannonball gripped rolling thunder weights at 25# each hand for 100 feet by the end of this. Right now I can barely do 25 feet. 

This one I mastered. My grip strength is way better and I can not only do the rolling thunder for 100 feet, but I also improved my fat grip curls in one week, going from 45 up to 52 reps without stopping, and I still had more in the tank on the last rep. My biceps have grown another inch. I can’t wait to dress like a superhero for Halloween. 

So, bodyweight power, up. Grip strength, up. Mas wrestling, I am mas boss. Still need to work on runs and rocks. 3/5 not bad. Assassins, this has been fun. I'm definitely still a weightlifter, but I'm going to think on some creative ways to really use odd objects to make this next challenge a fun one. I feel like I failed at so much (kettlebell challenge got sacked after family death derailed me), but I feel like this next couple months is going to be epic for my personal development. I've come a long way since not being able to do a single pushup a year ago to reps of spiderman pushups. It's amazing what some grit and practice can do. 

A year ago you couldn't do pushups? :numbness: Reading your thread, I just sort of assumed you'd been strength training for a long time. That makes me even more impressed then I already was. Impressive challenge.

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

A year ago you couldn't do pushups? :numbness: Reading your thread, I just sort of assumed you'd been strength training for a long time. That makes me even more impressed then I already was. Impressive challenge.

Hey, thanks! Yeah - I was in CrossFit (newbie), and literally doing those floppy, knee style ones or worming my body to get up. Couldn't do a single strict one until I moved to my new gym, where I was deprogrammed from the kips and floppy movements I used in CrossFit. That was in August last year. I just kept chipping away at it with my coach, doing negatives, then sets of 1, then 2, then 3, and so on, until I could try more advanced variations like deficit, decline and spiderman ones. I "practice" them each day, regardless of my routine. It has helped improve my lifts tremendously.

I started going to the gym back in June 2013 - I just did cardio for months until I got the guts to try the dumbbells and couldn't do more than just 5 or 10# weights. I joined CrossFit in November of that year and just never really got strict movements down with my bodyweight as high as it was (I've lost 80 lbs...originally down 90# but I've gained muscle). Mostly avoided the hard workouts and felt really bad about myself in the environment at the box I went to. I left that gym after hitting a major emotional wall because of the negative vibe. Haven't looked back!

danica

Level 3 Warrior Assassin 

It seems like you really did an incredible job this challenge in consideration of your loss! Looking at your goals, you managed to progress on each of them. That sounds like a win to me, even if it isn't 100% completion of each and every one of them.

Hope to see you around for the next challenge and look forward to hearing more about the return to climbing!

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1