CrackerWatson: The Journey: The Second Challenge - New recruit for the Rangers

CrackerWatson

Introduction:  I’m a 30 something fat bloke, I have always been the bigger chap (apart from primary school when I was 4/5 years old and I was sent to the doctor as they thought I was malnourished…boy did I get them back!) but after I joined my current employer (8 years ago) I became quite sedentary and I ballooned. I have over the years started loads of things to change this but I always ended up falling off the wagon, so joining in here I hope will help me find the inspiration and support of others. One of the best habits is to surround yourself with people who have the same goal as you…so guess I’m doing the virtual version!

This will be my second challenge and I loved the first, I really got in to it and really enjoyed what I was doing. I also learned that I can and need to push myself a lot more than I was in it. so….

Main Quest:  To become a healthier fitter individual by improving my diet and fitness. This would be measured in an increase in capability (which can be measured in Stronglifts capabilities, distances covered on cardio days (mixture of rowing, cycling, treadmill (10mins each on a workout)  and cross trainer (30mins session) ) using the Crossfit Thames standard sheets to aim for (with intermittent testing) and decrease in body fat and other measured body sizes. 

Quest 1: To work out 5 days a week working towards Crossfit minimums: Mon, Wed and Friday will be Stronglifts days and Tue and Thur will be cardio days.

Measurement: 100% = 30 days

Reward: 100% = +2 STA, +2 STR

Quest 2: Make a return to DDP (or YRG as I have these DVDs) Yoga to improve flexibility on either a Saturday or Sunday

Measurement: 100% = 6 days

Reward: 100% = 2 Dex 

Quest 3: Aim to eat Paleo

Measurement: 100% = 42 days x 3 meals per day = 126units (thought this was the best way to measure it!)

Reward: 100% = 2 Con

Life Quest: Going to look to my epic quests for this one and aim to complete the first draft of my first Steampunk chap book. It has been sitting for ages so hopefully this will give me the drive to work with my brain in my non-physical times!

Measurement: Sit down for at least 1 hour a day to work on writing

Measurement: 100% = 42 days

Reward: 100% = 2 WIS

Motivation:  I’m not getting younger, but I do appear to be getting bigger and therefore unhealthier. I’m sure there are already irreversible negative things going on in my body, but let’s see what I can do to rescue the rest of it! I also have non-physical things that I would like to achieve, so now is the time to knuckle down…2015 will be a new start to this life of mine!

• Like 3

Level 6 - Human - (North of the wall) Wyldling/Celt - Ranger/Assassin.

Epic quest I Battle Log I Accountabilibuddies 3 5 I Challenge: 1 2 3 4 5

(STR) - 4 (DEX) - 1 (STA) - 3 (CON) - 6 (WIS) - 4 (CHA) - 2

"Spartans! Prepare for glory!" - King Leonidas

Pinterest I instagram I Goodreads 

Hey CrackerWatson,

Welcome to the Rangers. Your goals look great; I'm impressed. How many days exercise a week are you doing at the moment? I've been trying to exercise more regularly but always seem to get stuck at the 3 times a week plateau (on a good week!), so you have inspired me to try to aim for 5 like you are.

Your Steampunk chap book sounds interesting. My brain is thinking smoking jackets and pipes, or am I thinking of the wrong kind of chap? How far are you along with your first draft? I like how you have made this a timed goal and not said I must finish it, much more realistic and achievable.

Good luck with your challenge.

• Like 1

Wood Elf Ranger - Level 10

STR 11.75|DEX 11.5|STA 9.25|CON 11|WIS 11.25|CHA 8.5

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Hi there CW, welcome to the Rangers. Great challenge, nice smart goals. Looking forward to seeing your progress over the next 6 weeks.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Hey CrackerWatson,

Welcome to the Rangers. Your goals look great; I'm impressed. How many days exercise a week are you doing at the moment? I've been trying to exercise more regularly but always seem to get stuck at the 3 times a week plateau (on a good week!), so you have inspired me to try to aim for 5 like you are.

Your Steampunk chap book sounds interesting. My brain is thinking smoking jackets and pipes, or am I thinking of the wrong kind of chap? How far are you along with your first draft? I like how you have made this a timed goal and not said I must finish it, much more realistic and achievable.

Good luck with your challenge.

Hi Balsquith

I have recently been doing 3 days a week with my Stronglifts programme, but not to many years ago I was doing 5 so I know its in me to do, just need to push myself :)

A chap book was an old format that was sold in the Victorian era, it was a very short story or was part of a serial...the old Penny Dreadful stories were sold as chap books, it was a cheap way that sellers could provide a number of different titles to rural buyers and travellers, but as its set in the Victorian era I'm sure at some point it will mention smoking jackets and pipes :)

Hi there CW, welcome to the Rangers. Great challenge, nice smart goals. Looking forward to seeing your progress over the next 6 weeks.

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

Hi and thanks for the welcome! I'm looking forward to pushing myself further :)

Life Quest: Going to look to my epic quests for this one and aim to complete the first draft of my first Steampunk chap book. It has been sitting for ages so hopefully this will give me the drive to work with my brain in my non-physical times!

As if I wasn't following you before... Steampunk people are good people!

Goals look doable and your motivation seems to be there.  Looking forward to following you this challenge!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ]  Rurik the Windblade, the Blade Who Dances, Warhawk of the Steppes.

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges:1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik Harrgath became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

So Baseline weigh in from Sunday:

126.6kg - 279lbs - 19st 13lbs - 60.8% BF

this is all the baseline I currently have a note of. Next Monday I will add times for running/cycling/rowing and distance covered.

Will also need to start looking at some of the other moves never really looked at front squats, overhead squats, barbell snatch or tall clean :uncomfortableness: so yeah, I should have really done this before I started, so I guess over the week I need to work out my baseline for some moves!

I will be posting a weekly update here and answering any queries, but I will mostly be updating my Battle log, so come visit me anywhere :)

Hey folks

Challenge 2 is not going so well!

Here is a round up of my quests:

Quest 1 - failing! I did day 1 and over the course of the evening started to experience pain running down my left butt cheek and down the back of my leg...over time it appears that I have trapped a nerve. I do have a known issue at the base of my spine and this in the past has shown itself in the way of sciatica, it felt like this but different...Long and short, pain killers have been my friend and forcing myself to keep moving at work has been the order of the day...today I still feel like crawling into a corner and pulling a cover over my head if I didn't think it would feel so uncomfortable.

This is only a set back though...time to heal and then start climbing back up the mountain when ready!!

Quest 2 - See quest 1...I am doing some specifics from my previous physio sessions, will seek to do Yoga as and when things feel free-er know Yoga will help, but walking before running.

Quest 3 - Failing too...this is a real challenge...but mostly a learning issue...I have been out and about with work and been provided food or eating out and there have been very few meals that I could consider as being paleo...one of the worst bits is when you get a dish put down and it has unlisted elements in it...not going to score highly in this, but that just means I need to work harder to prep and plan and take the hit when it happens as long as on my own cooking time I can hit the spot!

Life quest...I am nailing this this time round, taking my pad on the commute to work, making notes (that's about 2 hours of travel across the day) and then using my lunchtimes to type (when I should have been in the gym) I believe I may get this done before end of challenge! If I do then I will get started on re-write 1 - At some point I will be looking for interested parties to read what I have and provide critical feedback!!!

with regards to weight. I had my first interesting week...I say interesting as even although I hadn't had a good week, I reported my non flip flop reading of a loss!

Last week I was:

126.6kg - 279lbs - 19st 13lbs - 60.8% BF

This week I was

126.1kg - 278lbs - 19st 12lbs - 66.4% BF

its a lb. down but its a lb. and I'll take that! BF is still all over the place but meh, a recently bought t-shirt fits me better than when I last had it on which means my body shape is changing (I'm liking the increasing tightness around the arm as they grow!!! :joyous:  )

Some more good news!! the cycle to work scheme has opened at work and I have now placed an order for my new road bike...its 8 miles to work so a 16 mile cycle Mon to Friday will commence in a few weeks :joyous:

Update:

I'm still alive!

have had a real bad period of back pain, 2 weeks has been my best when it flares up and 9 weeks has been my worst...currently looking at a diminishing 5..things peaked the other week so looks like I'm on the downward portion of things.

Interweb and books can only go so far so always happy to speak to real people...timing and costs evaluated obviously :)

must admit this has been a real low time for me mentally, long-term pain and consumption of pain killer takes it out of me. All my goals have seen a dramatic decrease and cant see much growth...I haven't weighed myself in this period and I know I haven't been following my paleo plan as I should have been and throw in the odd emotional cheer up snack and such like...

I'm not going to beat myself up, my body is doing that for me...again this just highlights the mental resilience that I keep telling myself I need to work on.

Have I let myself down...yeah, probably...cant I pick myself up again...yeah, yeah I can...I know that the pain isn't going to keep going, I know at time of writing this week has been an improvement of next week...do I need to re-consider my actions to achieve my goals...possibly (feel free to debate on this with me and throw in suggestions!!!)

So round up of the second challange!

yeah it didnt work out...oh well not dwelling on it...move on...learn and all that.

Didnt get any training post day 1...

Paleo didnt last long or get much out the month (although i did have a few good attempts just need to look more at it)...i dont think i will follow up on this just now...however i think i will be looking at the 5/2, found that easier to keep up with when i did it before last year...Just need to stick to it longer.

didnt get the book finished...its hard to focus on something like that when doped up to the eyebrows on pain killers, however have had some incitful moments so will see how it goes.

Im not going to do a redo of challange two...i learnt things during this time...i thought about things...so ay not have gone the way that i wanted and may not have gained much (not gong to award myself anything) but will move forward form this point...also not going to advance on my level (this should make people thing in future when htey compare challanges to level :) ).

So here to Challange 3, may the next one bring everything to each and everyone!