Nymeria

Whoa, you are working on so much interesting stuff this challenge! The yoga stretches look super hard, but maybe that's just because I can't even get my body up to vertical in a pancake, let alone reach forward to embrace the floor! (actually I should try it with my legs closer together... hmm...)

I think your handstands are about where mine were this time last year:

• 3-5 second balance
  • probably spending most of the handstand falling
  • not pushing up rigidly enough

In 3-4 months I got up to a 10-second hold from here (documented in the progress video I made in July) also by doing about 100 handstands per week, and I think some of the main things that helped me are things you already mentioned - trying to stretch up as high as you can, especially at the shoulders.

Basically, if your arms/shoulders aren't rigid, it doesn't really matter what the rest of you is doing as you're going to fall over, so that get right first. Then concentrate on core, hips, legs in that order if you feel that there's any weakness.

I also found that walking on my hands was easier, so I mainly did that to keep my balance, rather than altering my body shape. That is something that I'd like to fix this Spring/Summer though (i.e., not this challenge, but the next two).

For rail balancing, is it easier on one leg or two? I've only done slacklining but a taut slackline is similar to a rail and most people find it easier to balance on only one leg, as the other leg can be used for balance. (On a slack slackline. good slackliners say it's easier on 2 legs again).

Good luck, it looks a really good challenge :)

Level 25 Cyborg Assassin

[ STR 36.75 | DEX 26.00 | STA 28.00 | CON 31.25 | WIS 29.25 | CHA 24.50 ]

current 5-week challenge: March 2020

external websites with my resources for...

fitness & breathwork | mental math & mind sports | motivation & productivity

Nymeria, on 19 Feb 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

currently need to improve flexibility to get my shoulders under my legs.

Ok, so I'm fairly certain this is a sentence I've never actually heard (or read) before in my life. My brain literally could not conceive of how that might happen...

I really like the focus of your challenge. I get what you mean about scrapping the things that are difficult to achieve in favour of ones you know you'll be successful on, I have a similar habit (I've taken up many hobbies that, when I'm not immediately successful, fall by the wayside). But it seems like you've got a great plan to battle that tendency, I can't wait to see how it goes for you!

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

*Reads the awesome goals*

Shocked.gif

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

For rail balancing, is it easier on one leg or two? I've only done slacklining but a taut slackline is similar to a rail and most people find it easier to balance on only one leg, as the other leg can be used for balance. (On a slack slackline. good slackliners say it's easier on 2 legs again).

I can balance pretty easily on one leg.  But, I can't seem to actually walk on a rail, which is the skill I'm trying to acquire.  Since it's still too cold, wet, and nasty out, and since I don't always have access to narrow, horizontal rails on which to walk, I'm trying to kind of make-shift the whole thing indoors.  I'm hoping that if I can balance and shift weight while on my parallettes, I'll be able to walk on a rail.  

Fair warning, I'm going to be sitting over here and gaping as your handstand counts rise.

Honestly, the hardest part for me will probably be keeping track of how many I've done.  My normal mode of operation is just to do handstands or whatever skill until I feel like I'm finished with them, and then stop. 

I get what you mean about scrapping the things that are difficult to achieve in favour of ones you know you'll be successful on, I have a similar habit (I've taken up many hobbies that, when I'm not immediately successful, fall by the wayside). But it seems like you've got a great plan to battle that tendency, I can't wait to see how it goes for you!

It has been especially challenging for the hand balancing, since I can very easily and quickly sort them into balances that I can do right away and balances that will require quite a lot of effort.  It's just so easy to go for the instant gratification and just do the ones that will be easy for me, rather than put in the work.

So, pre-challenge update:

Saturday - I did the "relocate lots of white fluffy stuff" workout.  I'm so ready for springtime.

Sunday - climbing!  I was so close to completing the dyno finish on that 5.11.  I got one hand solidly on the final hold, even, but I just couldn't maintain the grip after having to jump to reach the hold.  I'm so frustrated.  It feels amazing to climb without having to wear my knee brace.  I also played around with a few other routes as well as doing a lot of bouldering.  I'm still trying to talk my husband into practicing (and filming) some of our acro yoga stuff, but he's been a bit sick and thus unwilling.  

I can't wait for the challenge to begin!  Let's do this!

• Like 4

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Saturday - I did the "relocate lots of white fluffy stuff" workout.  I'm so ready for springtime.

Oh, hey, we're doing the same workout.........

:chargrined:

Ugh, snowpocalypse.

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

Mmmm pancakes.

national-pancake-day-gifs-09262013-06.gi

Now I want to learn to do the firefly pose.

firefly.jpg

Maybe next challenge goal?

“There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.†

~Paulo Coelho

I'm a level 3 moon elf, who's an druid assassin.

My Inspiration

Tumblr, which helps me stay the course for art challenge

FB, which I guess we could be friend :tongue:

My challenge

Instagram

Your goals sound great! Can't wait to hear how this goes :)

And I must check out that bridge progression mini-challenge, that sounds very interesting.

warrior : level 8

str: 20.75 | dex: 13.75 | sta: 11.75 | con: 9.75 | wis: 8.25 | cha: 4.75

''Difficult' and 'impossible' are cousins often mistaken for one another, with very little in common' - Locke Lamora

You can touch the legs to the arms, as long as the legs aren't resting ON the arms. Plus you shouldn't have bent arms where I think bent arms are okay with firefly? 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

I'll give the day 1 workout recap later, but here are some visual starting stats for my goals:

Wheel pose:  It isn't bad right now, but since my lower body is so heavy, it would really help me to be able to get my arms and legs closer together.  I think that my shoulder mobility is 90% of the problem, so I'll largely focus on improving that while doing my backbends.

9459BEE2-6453-47A1-90FC-39B37E5CC615-150

A2AA9BDD-A884-4243-8478-D9ADF31F1601-150

Firefly:  I can get off of the ground using the yoga blocks, but the pose is really ugly.  My left leg really wants to fall off of my arm, and I can't really pick up my legs or push my torso more upright without falling backward.  But it's an okay starting point.

E93627C3-2E90-40FB-9B55-CFDB127C05A0-150

• Like 8

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

My flexibility is very much not amazing, which is why I need to be patient and work through the progressions.  ;)   Hatter, Starsapart, and Twilight are the ones with the crazy flexibility.   If you really want to get the bridge, MadHatter ran a mini-challenge sometime last year that had tons of bridge progressions.  

Pfft, it's all relative. I started out flexible, I didn't have to work up to it. I've improved it over the last year since starting challenges, but the stuff I've made real progress on is things like core strength and therefore hand balancing. I'm much more proud of that than my natural flexibility. Maybe you feel the same way about hand balancing. You make it look so easy!

I tried a legs-bent firefly for the first time at the party I went to on Friday, and it worked! Maybe instead of a shiny-chasing goal, I should have a monkey-see goal. ;)

I think your analysis is spot-on. I definitely see shoulders as your limiting factor in the wheel/bridge right now. Your hips and lower back look great, though! From your climbing work + pull-up/chin-up work, I bet the shoulder issues are stemming from your very developed lats. Try these two releases (lax ball + foam roller).

photo-sep-09-5-23-21-pm.jpg?resize=224%2

photo-sep-09-5-22-15-pm.jpg?resize=300%2

Wall slides and shoulder dislocates would also be very helpful! Also this stretch below could be used with push-rest stretching intervals to help out. Doesn't need to be a swiss ball, could just  be a bench or even the wall.

kneel-swiss-lat-stretch-female.jpg

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Agree with Raptron.

When it comes to form try to look towards your feet like in the second picture, that will help with getting the upper back involved. Also try to rotate your shoulders in and keep the arms straight. It's important in order to keep the rotator cuff happy. But it looks good, especially the one leg bridge looks awesome. 

Maybe instead of a shiny-chasing goal, I should have a monkey-see goal. ;)

LOL that's how I feel about Nymeria's thread. :) 

• Like 1

Day 1 update:

-Worked on my progressions, except for the Kong stuff.  I'll hopefully get there tomorrow, but I have a weird pull in my quads from climbing yesterday.

-Did 25 handstands.  I may have to vary things a little bit between solid, strength type handstands and some supporting work, like various kick ups and bail outs. 

-pull ups

-30 minutes of balance yoga.

I can already tell that the progressions are going to be slow and frustrating.  I have to remind myself that when I was working on hooping (a few challenges ago), I actually had to measure progress for chest hooping by counting the number of revolutions the hoop made before dropping.  Often, the daily achievement might be that I increased my number from 5 to 6 or something.  And now, I can not only chest hoop for minutes at a time, but I can even shift the hoop up and down without using my arms.  I'm just going to need a lot of patience.

Gratitude: Today, I'm grateful that even after the weekend snowstorm, things are pretty clear and life is pretty much back to normal.  My daughter had school today, it's sunny out, and I have some real hope that spring might be on the way after all.

Language: I've earned 50 points today on Duolingo.

Bonus: I cooked a quiche (yum.  tons of protein and lots of leftovers!), and for once, I cleaned up my kitchen mess right away, rather than letting it sit until later.

The running totals:

Progressions: Okay; Handstands: 25/600; Gratitude: 1/42; German: 50/1500;

• Like 3

My tutorials:

Yay you did great on duolingo! I have phases and then I am superaddicted to it, then I forget all about it for a while, only to remember again and be super addicted yet again :P 

• Like 1

Is there a particular progression you think you're going to get frustrated by? Or is it all of them?

I'm really not sure.  Firefly will be frustrating, because I probably need more flexibility to really do the move, and flexibility takes so long to improve.  Kong will be frustrating because having proportionally longer legs and shorter arms and torso makes me question whether it's even physically possible for me to kick my legs between my arms.  I'm worried that even after working hard on handstands, I'll still be stuck at that 5 second plateau.  

I'm a bit more optimistic with the backbend and rail balance stuff.  At least, I know I need to work on shoulder mobility for many things, and the backbend stuff gives me a convenient way and reason to do so (And thanks, Raptron, for the mobility drills!).  Rail balance seems a bit more straightforward, so I'm sure that I'll at least be able to track some sort of improvement.

Day 2:

Today, I was able to attend my yoga class!  It was actually pretty intense, but it's still somehow relaxing and very rewarding for me.  During the class, I even managed to work on my Kongs a bit.  We had a lot of sequences where you jump from downward dog into a forward bend, so I focused as hard as I could on landing between my arms and not flaring my knees to the side.

After yoga, I worked on Kongs a bit more, as well as handstands and some pull-ups.  I'm now at 3 consecutive days of strength training, so I'm really going to need a rest and recovery day tomorrow.  I still have a weird pull in my leg, and I could feel my handstand form degrading pretty quickly today.  Part of my recovery day will be to explore some of those shoulder prehab and mobility exercises, and then come up with a 5 minute shoulder routine to complete every day.  

My daily reflection on positivity:  I'm really happy that my yoga class has been so wonderful for me.  I've never been able to just sit and meditate, yet moving fast through a series of poses gives me that same, living-in-the present, meditative glow.  It's a great time for me to release and just live in the present, rather than worrying about everything else in life.  I'm grateful that I can go to the gym, work hard, and yet be in my own world where I don't feel any pressure to perform.

The running totals:

Progressions: Okay; Handstands: 40/600; Gratitude: 2/42; German: 100/1500;

• Like 3

My tutorials:

I've never been interested in yoga classes, but you make it sound fun. 

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 13   Charisma 14   Strength 20  Constitution-13

Elastigirl:Luck Favors The Prepared - Current Challenge: August 1 to September 4 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien